Carthage, NC
Hillcrest Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: chainmonkey Hole #7 (Taken 3/2013)

1 2 Next >
 Nice pines

1    2/20/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/23/2010
Pros: *Many holes have very nice pine trees with a carpet of pine needles underfoot and very little undergrowth.
*The fairway shapes are perfectly balanced. 6 Straight/ 6 Left/ 6 Right
*Baskets are new double chain Discatchers.
Cons: -The course is mostly flat, with some slight elevation changes. 7 Flat/ 7 Up/ 4 Down. The biggest change is a drop of 16 ft. on hole 10.
-The hole length variety isn't the greatest; the majority are 200-299 ft. (2<199/ 11 of 200-299/ 4<399/ 1 of 500) The 500 ft hole 8 is a nice change of pace, though.
-A few of the holes are still just a little too tight and could be cleared a bit more.
-The tee signs are good, with a basic map, when they have them, but they're only on 5 holes (1-4 & 17). They need to finish them on the rest the course.
-There's a really long walk from the 17th basket to the 18th tee.
-In a few places there were piles of tree limbs and brush that need to be cleared away more.
Other Thoughts: Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

You be the judge-
My favorite hole- 10 is a short, dogleg left, downhill ace run to a guarded basket.

With quite a few very tight fairways this course rewards accuracy over power. Even though there a few scenic holes (7, 10, 13) I found the course beauty to be nice, but just a little below average. The natural tees work, but they're only average. Also, there are good restrooms and score cards available in the park office, but no maps, warm up basket, or message board.

This course is like an attractive girl in your 6th grade class-- flat and needs more development but is kind of pretty and has some potential.

Look in the Files section for my Overall Rating notes and Hole-by-hole ratings.

Love this course

5+    8/9/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: girevoy
Pros: - There are hardly ever any other players on the course.
- A truly tough course that really challenges your shot selection and shot shaping capabilities.
- Really beautiful if you like pine trees.
Cons: - VERY narrow fairways.
- Not many chances to air it out.
- Grass on number 9 can get (and currently is) out of control.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love this course. Every time I play here, at least one hole will hand my backside to me, but when you pull off the impossible shots throught the thick woods, you fall in love again. This course definitely prizes accuracy over power, with some gaps on the drive (number 13 for example) only 4-5 feet wide 100' down the fairway. Not fun when you catch a tree, but exhilarating when you pull it off. To be a nice as this course is, I have played here 10+ times and have only seen another player out here once. This course is a seldom seen standout in an area with little to no disc golf resources.

Has potential

1    5/31/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: -Good piece of land, in an area that needs disc golf (not necessarily Carthage, but Moore County).
-Baskets are Discatchers I believe, great condition.
-Course layout (walk from hole to hole) is reasonable.
-Great course for recovery shots and inventive putting
-Has potential to be a quality course
Cons: -Many holes do not have a discernible fairway (seven springs to mind)
-Many holes "fairways" are extremely tight, with luck being the deciding factor off the tee.
-Although not a problem for me per se, crushed gravel tees.
-Where's the next hole? It will come with time, but a simple wooden arrow with a "7" would do the trick.
-Four signs in total on my count, that will be resolved with sponsorship.
-Road on 17 and 18, fence on some holes.
Other Thoughts: First of all, I'm glad that Moore County has a dg course. Kudos to all the hard work and effort that went into the course, the design, and the whole process. Although the course was somewhat enjoyable, it does have some problems. The design seems forced, as in they placed the tee somewhere and figured out the best place to put the teepad without having to cut down any trees or maintain some kind of fairway. I understand that one of the allures of dg is not clearcutting forests, you have to remove some trees to make the course playable. Considering Moore County's amount of ball golf courses (and all the side effects that result) I'm sure cutting down a few trees won't hurt. Hole 9 has a gap probably 4 discs wide off the tee. Take down those small trees that make the hole unplayable and voila, you have yourself a nice hole. I understand that it takes time, work, and resources to achieve this, however, it is possible and it will be done in time I'm sure.

Overall, I would recommend this course to those in the area as a show of support. If you live in the area and enjoy dg, then get out and help. Make some calls and see what can be done to improve this course that could be much better than it is currently. Since its the only course in Moore County, I'm sure it will receive the right amount of attention in the coming years.

It'll only get better.

2-4    12/29/2008   12/29/2008
Review By: turkey33
Pros: - A variety of types of shots needed from teeboxes. I think it's challenging for course designers to get this variety with pine forests but they've done it here.
- the gravel teeboxes while not concrete are flat and clear of roots or rocks.
- some signs and at least some folks have tied ribbon on trees near the teeboxes so without a map I was able to find the next tee without too much problems.
- good length for intermediate players that want to work on their precision shots.
- again, I'll mention good variety of shots because they also got some elevation changes in there.
Cons: - beginners or players that just don't like trees may think they're just way too many trees on some of the "fairways".
- advanced players or at least those with great arms may be disappointed they don't get to rip it.
Other Thoughts: I occasionally visit family in this area but am not a ball golfer so I'm excited to see this course and some others spring up. As an intermediate player I'll enjoy this course again and look forward to getting back here. It's a nice setting and I like pine forests courses but I'd bring newbies somewhere else where they're not going to hit so many trees. I expect and hope this course will only get better. I think it has great potentional. I think advanced players could really warm up to it when some additional longer tees are offered. Know that could be years but here's hoping.

An Instant Classic

5+    12/19/2008   12/19/2008
Review By: Sling Moore
Pros: Hillcrest Park has evolved into a very fine course in such a short period of time. A lot of work has been put into it and it is starting to show. The course has a great variety of unique holes and no two holes are even remotely the same. Navigation is easy as there are arrows placed on the holes where they are needed. Plus, the routing of the holes through the walking trail and around the baseball fields ease course navigation as well. To be a new course, the tee pads(gravel) are level and free of ruts, the fairways are well defined, and the greens are cleared of debris.
Cons: The rough on holes 5, 7, & 8 are littered with fallen trees and needs to be cleared. The tee pad on hole 14 needs to be moved to the left to fit the fairway better. There are only five tee signs thus far. More will be added when sponsorship is obtained. As of now there is no information board nor a practice basket. All of these issues will be addressed and fixed in the near future.

1    11/22/2008   11/22/2008
Review By: Recdrumz
Pros: They have brand new baskets.
Cons: There are no fairways in the wooded areas, this means more than half the course is just covered in woods. With no path to follow. about a thousand trees need to be knock down.
Other Thoughts: Ive played a lot of courses in NC and this one for being in a park and having great baskets for 18 holes is no were near being finished. frustrating

Nice Course

5+    9/20/2009   9/25/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 10/1/2009
Pros: -Disc golf in area that needs more courses.
-Great facilities, bathrooms, water fountain, playground for kids.
-No crowds, secluded and beautiful eastern NC forest.
-Tight technical mostly wooded course, for those like me that like these type courses.
-Maps in the park office, arrows pointing to most tees.
-I like the layout here, even the first time I played it when it had no arrows it seemed easy for me to follow. The designers used all available land.
Cons: -Hole 9 could use some serious weedwhacking, the parks and rec folks don't help keep this fairway clear.
-Not all holes have tee signs, but this is a temp problem that should be solved with sponsorship.
-The fences along 1, behind 2, along 3, and up the fairway on 18. I don't like the thought of losing a disc to a fence, it makes me pull up a bit on my drive. Not a huge problem, just mental.
-The walk from 17 basket to 18 tee. I really don't see an alternative, and part of why I play is the walk in a park.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, but I prefer tight courses that make you shoot accurate. (Even if I'm not that accurate). I've notice that the loose gravel tee boxes have started to pack in. I'm not the biggest fan of these type, but with a little time and rain it washes the loose stuff away and starts to pack down. I assume with time concrete will be put in place. This course will get worked in with more play, and hopefully more courses for this area will follow.

Update-As of Sept 09, most of the fairway on #9 had been whacked down. The rest of the course looked the same as when this review was first written.

Like a fine wine getting better with time

5+    8/10/2008   8/17/2008
Review By: slingmoore2
Pros: This course makes you think before you throw. Disc selection is important as well as the type of throw you will use. The average player will use many throwing techniques during a round here. There is balance where some holes can ruin your round and others give you a chance for redemption. A few holes have the appearance of not having a fairway, but they are there. You need to play the course a few times to learn where they are. Tee signs are very nice and more will be added as sponsorship is obtained. Hole # 17 has a green surrounded by OB on three sides. It has a high risk vs. reward factor.(Note- the tee pad shows you the direction that you need to throw for this hole. Do not throw over the road. If you do, then you are the only silly thing about this hole.) The tee pads are in great shape (screenings) but golfers need to repair any damage that they do to the pad on their drives. As with most courses the pads will be updated when funding allows.
Cons: The course has a few holes that need some grooming. Flow is disrupted between holes # 9 - #10, and # 17 - # 18. Can be hard to go from hole to hole due to the lack of signage but this problem is being resolved. Some people may consider holes # 12, 17, 18 to be dangerous to park patrons. These holes are only dangerous if you play them in a dangerous manner. Remember, you need to think before you tee off. Holes # 5, 7, 8, maybe 9, and 13 are considered by some to have the need for a logging crew to come in and have their way. If you like tight wooded holes then these are for you. (Hint) There are several obtainable flight paths for most of these holes. Once again, think (and look) before you throw. Can be hard to play during baseball season due to the amount of people attending the ball games. These games are normally played from 6:00 p.m. on. Any other time you are lucky to see more than 3 or 4 people at the park. Course needs play to keep underbrush down.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course that is still being tweaked. It is not, nor was it intended to be a championship caliber course. It is a course that will make you learn how to throw types of shots. If you are looking for wide open spaces where you can bomb a driver off of every tee thoughtlessly, then this course is not for you. You will need to play the course a few times to understand what the course is all about. This course is worth the drive as it is today but will get better with time!

Needs maturity and slight redesign

1    8/15/2008   8/15/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: I have to preface this review by saying that this course is brand new. It has not been 100% completed yet so it is a little hard to follow. It will get better with time and play. The locals are working hard on it and it's changing rapidly.

This course has potential to be pretty good. There are some nice tight wooded shots here. Most of the holes here are in the woods and require a great deal of accuracy. Those aspects of your game will improve by playing here. You're scrambling to get out of trouble will improve here as well. I threw a number of forehand and straddle putts while playing this course because there are trees everywhere. The first 3 holes have very nice tee signs. When the rest are purchased and installed the course will be marked very well. The baskets are brand new and in great shape. They're also installed with sleeves so it looks like there might be a chance for multiple pin positions in the future. The course is not super long so beginners will be ok here but they might get a little frustrated with how tight it is. Big arms will not have an advantage here either.

The course designers mentioned that there are course maps in the park office. I didn't know that when I played the course but they would definitely be helpful.

There are restrooms in this park and there was also a concession stand that looks like it is used occasionally. It was not open when I played the course.
Cons: There are aspects of the design that could be a little better in my opinion. I think the course will get better as it matures but there are some holes that didn't seem to have a discernible fairway. In some cases there is plenty of room to place the tee where there would be a fairway. It would be a very hard shot but at least there would be a fairway.

Holes 17 and 18 run along the entrance road to the park and I believe there will be cars hit here. When I played the course there was not a marking for a mando on either hole so I chose to throw over the road because it was the easiest shot and guaranteed a chance at a 2 or an easy 3. I have since been informed that there is a mando on 17 that keeps you from throwing over the road. Hole 17's pin is within 10 feet of the entrance road on one side and a parking lot on the other. I think that cars will get hit here because of it's placement. It's placement makes the hole harder but I think there is too much chance for hitting cars or people. While I was playing it took me quite a while to play holes 17 and 18 because of the amount of traffic coming in and out of the park.

There is also a hole that throws up towards the concession stand. My opinion is that this hole is dangerous because there were a lot of people up in the area where I was throwing my drive. The best shot on that hole is to throw and anhyzer, out in the open, towards the ball fields and concession stand. This hole might have a mando that wasn't marked at the time I played the course. According to the course designers the concession stand is being relocated to a position closer to the ball fields. This will be good because it will take the danger of hitting someone out of that hole.

The tee pads are made of a crushed rock and are in good condition but I think they are a bit too short and some are placed in bad positions. The reason I say that is because there were some holes that I felt like there were trees or bushes in the way of the run up area or too close to the right hand corner of the tee pad. I found myself shortening my arm swing because I was afraid to bang my hand on the tree that was next to the tee box. I'm not sure if I actually would have hit my hand but it was a definitely a concern with myself and the other person I was playing with at the time. The crushed rock tee pads are in good condition but I am personally not a fan of that type of tee pad because your feet stick in them and it creates a lot of strain on the knees. My right knee was very sore after playing at this course because of the tee pads.

There are only 3 tee signs and it is a bit hard to navigate around the course. It would be really nice to have the rest of the tee signs and little arrows on the pins telling you which way to go for the next tee. At the time I originally wrote this review there were not arrows on the pins helping you with where to go for the next hole but the course designers say that those have been installed.

You will not become a good distance thrower if this is the only place you get to play. That could be considered a con if you really are looking to work on your distance. There are a couple holes that are of decent length but you can't really open up and throw hard because of how tight the fairway's are. This course will, however, help you a lot with your accuracy, scrambling and different styles of putting.
Other Thoughts: At the time I played the course the tees were still marked with orange ribbons. There was also a couple bricks at the front of the tee boxes that had a hole number on them.

A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.

Could be much better with just a little more.

8/4/2008   8/4/2008
Review By: Mystery
This review was updated on 8/5/2008
Pros: The first three holes are marked with nice tee signs, but they are the only signs on the course. These first holes are short. Hole #6 is great booming anhyzer shot with a ball field to the left, but otherwise an open approach to the basket. Hole #8 is a very long straight shot with the basket tucked to the left at the end. The vegetation thickens considerably about 150 ft from the basket but thins around the basket. Hole #10 is a downhill shot. Hole #11 is another anhyzer shot with the basket within reach. Hole #14 and #15 are easier, with lanes to work the disc to the basket. Hole #16 is could be another anhyzer, or that is what I tried. I worked the disc too close to the tree line and paid the penalty. Holes #17 and #18 run side by side in the same direction with a paved road between them. The road is lined with five foot bushes which can come into play.Tees were crushed gravel and were in good shape. Innova Discatcher baskets were mounted in installation boxes and in very good shape. Basket locations were fair.Overall it was a good experience.
Cons: They need to finish marking the course with nice tee signs and markings to the next tee. Hole #4 is visible from the tee box, but there is no clear shot at the basket. The only option is a hyzer down the walking path. The only problem is that the path curves near the portion of the disc flight that you expect to turn. This could present a danger. Hole #5 has no clear fairway. Hole #7 has a fairway, but it follows a very tricky s path that is a one in a million shot. The rough is dotted with many trees and very few alleys. Hole #9 asks the golfer to make a field-goal between two trees 30ft from the tee. Afterwards the hole opens up with the basket on the side of a hill. Hole# 12 has no clear fairway to the basket. A golfer could take an anhyzer shot along the edge of the ball-field and try to work back to the basket. Hole #13 is ridiculously tight with the fairway about 4 feet wide at spots. When a golfer finishes 17 he must walk back down the road to the 18th tee and finish the round. Transitions from green to next tee were not as easy to navigate. Each tee was marked with fluorescent orange ribbon but was not always easy to locate.The tee box for #14 was mounded in a manner that made the drive awkward. The course needs tree removal to form better fairways.
Other Thoughts: Many trees need to be removed and the course needs better marking. I know that it is a new course and many of these things may be addressed. Will be a much better course if they do.Needs to be added to the PDGA Course Directory, which it is not currently in.

1 2 Next >