Greenville, SC
Timmons Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1
Hole #1 Tee: Straight down fairway then left. Basket is near creek.

Short and (very) sweet

1    11/13/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Well maintained park in an older neighborhood near downtown--the community pride really shows in this area. A very good setting for a disc golf course with old hardwoods and a babbling brook running right through the middle of the park that comes into play on many holes (and REALLY comes into play on a few holes). Lots of variety with flat holes, holes with steep elevation changes, holes where you drive up, holes where you drive down, holes in the open and holes in the trees. This course will allow you to exercise your full repertoire of shots. The compact layout is easy to navigate and will let you get in a quick round while still challenging your skills. Concrete tee pads and very good signage on every hole. Course begins and ends right near the parking area.
Cons: Had to get real picky here, but there are a few holes where you really need to exercise caution going up or down steep inclines. On #8 in particular, the basket is on a steep incline with jots of jagged rocks and roots that you have to scale going up and down. These holes are not dangerous by any means, but do be careful!
Other Thoughts: I am a newbie (3 months) and have played about a dozen courses. Timmons Park is by far my favorite, which is surprising since so far I have favored longer, open courses where I can work on my distance drives. Although this is a very short course, it is by no means a pitch-and-putt. This course had me using shots I had never tried before and did not know I had in me. Every throw seemed to require a different technique from the previous one, and in the few locations where a straight throw is called for, the creek is usually there to keep you honest. It appears that any disc landing in the creek can be easily retrieved. There are numerous signs around the park reminding patrons to be considerate with regards to the neighborhood residents. Although I did not see any holes where a disc could stray onto private property, but the close proximity of the homes means you should use care with regards to behavior (noise, profanity, etc.).

Nice city course

1    10/30/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: -Course is in good condition (e.g. baskets, paths, growth, cement tees, etc)
-Fun course that is accessible for beginners and intermediate players looking for a nice under par round
-Good amount of scenery for a "city" course, some holes feel fairly secluded
Cons: -Feels a bit too easy for the intermediate/advanced player, one tee one pin makes for a simple round across the board
-"Filler" holes, or holes that just make up the numbers is far too common here
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a solid course, and rated objectively earns a 2.5 from me. I don't consider 2.5 to be bad, Timmons is far from a poor course, however, it is a decent/typical course. That being said, it was highly enjoyable and a morale booster (birdies galore).
Best holes:
#5: Sweeping right hand hole with a sizable fairway and a creek hugging on the right. Decent length lets you put plenty of power to get to the pin. My favorite here at Timmons.
#10: Another longer hole with plenty of room for arm, but the pin lies on a hillside with the creek on the right hand side of fairway that will catch errant throws and rolls.
#17: I enjoy throwing downhill so this hole fits the bill perfectly. Don't throw too hard though, its short and the elevation will carry your disc.
#18: Long'ish' hole, straight forward. Enjoyable finishing hole.
Three Poorest Holes:
#9: Luck shot, feels forced with no fairway.
New#12: again, feels forced and since its new I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because it needs some breaking in. Birdie here (what I got) was pure luck.
#16: Nothing terribly wrong with the hole, but I didn't like it because it was unimaginative. The elevation by the pin is the only thing keeping this playable.

Timmons is well worth a stop off of I-85. It won't tire you completely and is enjoyable. Overall, expect to find a well thought out course on a nice piece of land that will serve up the birdies to the willing and you'll be just fine.

Titan of DG in the Greenville area

5+    7/1/2011   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
This review was updated on 7/2/2011
Pros: Just an all around well thought out course. Some good chances at birdie,ace. Some nasty holes which really make you work to get better. A creek that is just big enough to be a booger but not a swallower of discs.

Great new benches there. Great teepads. Great use of elevation. Great variety of shots needed.

Basically Timmons requires skill and will challenge all.
Cons: Not enough trashcans out there. A few baskets need some refinishing. There are some teesigns missing but not many. Hole 18 is missing the teesign.
Other Thoughts: Could use multiple teepads to add some different looks.

Timmon: My Home

5+    10/16/2009   10/16/2009
Review By: FeedTheDGAddiction
Pros: This is a great course for practicing for those bigger courses. It really helps a newbie with all aspects of the game. Timmons has short holes, a few semi-long holes, wooded holes.

I really enjoy the elevated challenges such as hole 2, 8, and 17.

Hole 2 is from the top of a small hill, throwing downwards to a catcher right in front of a creek. This hole really helps a player use judgement with their technique. Thrown too soft, youll par rather than birdie. Thrown too hard, your OB.

Hole 8 is thrown from ground level, upwards to the right on a pretty big steep hill. Thrown bad, and you roll down the hill. Thrown correct,the reward could be a birdie.

Hole 17 is from on top of a hill. There is a tight path (formed by trees) to throw down.This hole really helped me with control as far as throwing straight.

Not many chances of losing a disc except for hole 5. Chances are not likely, although I had a buddy who did. You have to throw far to the right to have any chance of losing it.

I like that this has water challenges. Its a great way to learn to use control. Who wants to have to crawl down a creek to get their disc?? Not me.

I like the layout for a smaller course. And for a smaller course, the holes really dont overlap eachother.

I like how when you first walk up, you can start at the front 9 or the back 9. Hole 1 and 10 and side by side but are thrown in two different directions. Nice touch.

A lot of risk with water challenges. I consider this a PRO because it helps improve your game in the long run.
A lot of reward as far as birdy potential).

Cons: Some of the pars are a little more geared towards beginners. There are 3 par 5s on this course. I play this course atleast once twice a week and play all holes as par 3s. When I first started, having those holes as a par 5 helped. But after you play for a month, you should challenge yourself and play all par 3s.

Hole 12 is a mess. They just cut the path for this hole not too long ago. The clean up crew did a horrible job. You have to walk up a hill with tree roots, stumps, debri. And if it rains the day before the mud of this hole is horrible. Someone should clean that up. Other than that, hole 12 is a hell of a challenge. (Unless you use a thumber or a tomahawk)

Other Thoughts: Good course to practice on for all skill levels. I play this course a few times to prep for when I go out to some of the harder and bigger courses.

Players here are always really cool. In my experience, most people are willing to give a tip or two if you just ask. A lot of league play here as well.

2-4    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: glax
Pros: This is a very clean clean course set in beautiful park setting. The holes are well marked and flow nicey together. It has a good mix of shot shaping and elevation changes. Holes are so close together, you can bang 18 out in less than 1hr. Very nice short course!
Cons: The back is being redesigned and coming along nicely. Although, it doesn't have the same natural flow as the front.
Other Thoughts: Highlights:
#2- Beware the creek all over the left side, it is so easy to lose it trying to go for the basket.
#7- Fun left hard left turning 185 ft shot onto an almost island.
#8- Throwing onto a steep cliffside. The basket is hanging on a rock face! Stay high and right. Lay it up soft or you will two putt.
#9- Do yourself a favor and hammer it down the left lane and skip that sucker up close.
#12- Tough short hole, any ideas??
#15- Don't overthrow, you may go down the mountain on the other side like I did!
#16- Same mountain, easy to catch an edge and roll all the way down.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

1    9/5/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
- Timmons is a fun little course. It's longer than the average "short" course, but not long enough to move it up to the next level. I threw a putter off the tee-pad on 11 holes, with the rest requiring a driver. The course is mostly open... however, on every hole there are trees to negotiate, requiring you to shape shots accordingly.
- OB. Although I went into the creek 3 times, twice on Hole 9 for a triple bogey, I couldn't be happier with the OB. The layout utilizes OB possibilities on 11 holes, making an easier course a little more difficult. Note: Even if you're dry... being over the edge of the creek's ditch = OB.
- This course would be a great course to learn on, a great course for families, and a great course to work on your short game.
- None really. But, I can nit-pick.
- I suppose the course could be considered too short. However, courses of this length and style have a place in the DG world.
- Tee-signs don't declare the mandies or the OB's... you just have to know they are there.
- Two other courses in Greenville and another only 8 miles away (Century Park) make this area a great DG destination. It's very easy to hit 4 courses in one day - makes for a fun trip. There is also a decent brewery in Greenville - I liked my beer and food.
- I would definitely travel down from Asheville again to play here and at Century Park. The designer/s of these two courses got it right... Fun to play, easy to navigate, and Fair.
- My rating is lower than the other reviewers. Not because I didn't like the course... but, because I was looking to see where in my list of courses Timmons ranked. And therefore, I had to rank it a 3.
- My Score: -4 (with several left behind)

5+    1/3/2001   8/27/2009
Review By: robbiepitzer
Pros: This is one of the only courses that i have a shot of shooting under par. A well established course.
And on a good day you might just run into consessions.
Cons: the creek is a problem though out the course.
Other Thoughts: Short and tight with elevation on 10 holes and fast pin placements on hillsides. Several pins nestled close to OB creek. Be careful of mountain bikers.

Love my home course

5+    6/14/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Great wooded course with a few open drives. The trees here usually don't have branches until quite high up, which makes for less "I didn't see that branch" hits. Also, the high branches really make the woods feel wide open and approachable, even in the thick of summer.
Lots of elevation challenges.
Great tees and baskets.
Easy to pick up new friends.
Creek of Reedy River runs through center of park, but pretty easy to find discs unless there's been a TON of rain.
Park security guard often on patrol, and I've never heard anything about crime at the course or parking lot.
No really LONGGGG holes, but the design for use in the park is superb.
Cons: When baseball's in season, the kids can get in the way on one/ maybe two holes, but that's it.
Other Thoughts: For a free course, this is great. Don't really have to deal with much foot traffic either, the occasional dog walker or biker, but they're cool and know what the discs/holes are.

Very fine short course

5+    11/11/2008   6/11/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Great use of elevation, with shots up, down, and across slopes, and lots of very fast greens forcing you to pay attention to how your disc lands. A mountain-clear creek is in play on many holes, threatening OB with no risk of losing your disc.

A very technical course, but all-but-one fairways are fair.

Course is in a very lovely park, way back in a good neighborhood, with a single baseball field and a few other amenities.
Cons: A short course; better players will be itching for a chance to throw hard, but there are few.
Other Thoughts: A good course for all skill levels; short enough for beginners & casual players, a suitable challenge for advanced players trying to birdie almost every hole (birdies are always available but seldom easy).

B+ for Bery Bery Nice Tradiitonal Course

5+    10/20/2007   5/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.