North Plains, OR
Uploaded By: gwillim Hole #5

I'm Torn...

1    9/3/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: Reis Just Reis
Pros: ~ Beautiful Setting: Very good representaion of a NW Forest: Big Firs, Ferns, and Vine Maples.
~ Course was easy to find (Thank you for the signs on the way in)
~ Easy to see baskets! Neon Yellow!!!
~ While the signage was primitive it was effective. We had no map and navigated the course w/o error.
~ While the hole diagrams were backwards, at least they were there.
~ The blind holes are NOT an issue. Every course has them.
~ Good use of elevation changes
~ Several very unique and fun holes. I really enjoyed the par 4 on the back 9 that took you up and around the hill 180 degrees.
Cons: ~ The holes felt very short overall. I was using a fairway driver or midrange the majority of the time. Only got to let loose on the first four and then again on the last couple.
~ I appreciate a good technical hole as much as the next guy, but it felt like I had to guide my disc thru a sloloum of trees. I have a heizer and anheizer as well as a forehand and backhand. But I felt like what I really needed was a chainsaw and/or remote control. I love trees, but they were a bit too densely packed for my enjoyment.
~ I did hate the tees though. They were definitely uneven (most of the gravel having been washed away or ground into the dirt) and messed with my approach.
~ While the scenery was a Pro, it also became a Con. I can't imgagine what it is like in the spring, but there is still a great deal of underbrush late in the summer. It is the "nature" of the beast I guess (pun intended). But losing a disc is a VERY real possibility on many of the holes (unless you have the aformentioned chainsaw or remote control).
~ Was NOT a fan of the homemade baskets. They are durable and easy to see, but I found them awkward and offputting. I think it has to do with the loss of visibility that you would get from a wired basket vs the solid semi wheels these are made of. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. They are great for homemade, but I would prefer the Mach 4's and 5's I'm used to.
~ NOT friendly for new or beginning players! Spare them the frustration of hitting trees and wasted time searching for discs.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time at HH. And I don't know if I'll be going back. I have heard nothing but great things about it from everyone. I'm torn though. I see the potential the place has. With cement tees and a bit more thinning of the trees and brush it could be GREAT. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it lived up to the hype or was worth the $3. Maybe I'll try the Highland Course before writing the place off.