North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Canyon Course Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #16 (Taken 11/2008)

Fun and very Challenging!!

2-4    6/17/2009   9/18/2009
Review By: joshsaccount777
Pros: -Long but not too long...
-shaded
-has 2 other 18 hole courses onsite..
-well maintained
-great place for family
-Just all around AMAZING!!
Cons: -Long
Other Thoughts: costs $3 but she trusts you to pay she won't hunt you down but I might...

I'm Torn...

1    9/3/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: Reis Just Reis
Pros: ~ Beautiful Setting: Very good representaion of a NW Forest: Big Firs, Ferns, and Vine Maples.
~ Course was easy to find (Thank you for the signs on the way in)
~ Easy to see baskets! Neon Yellow!!!
~ While the signage was primitive it was effective. We had no map and navigated the course w/o error.
~ While the hole diagrams were backwards, at least they were there.
~ The blind holes are NOT an issue. Every course has them.
~ Good use of elevation changes
~ Several very unique and fun holes. I really enjoyed the par 4 on the back 9 that took you up and around the hill 180 degrees.
Cons: ~ The holes felt very short overall. I was using a fairway driver or midrange the majority of the time. Only got to let loose on the first four and then again on the last couple.
~ I appreciate a good technical hole as much as the next guy, but it felt like I had to guide my disc thru a sloloum of trees. I have a heizer and anheizer as well as a forehand and backhand. But I felt like what I really needed was a chainsaw and/or remote control. I love trees, but they were a bit too densely packed for my enjoyment.
~ I did hate the tees though. They were definitely uneven (most of the gravel having been washed away or ground into the dirt) and messed with my approach.
~ While the scenery was a Pro, it also became a Con. I can't imgagine what it is like in the spring, but there is still a great deal of underbrush late in the summer. It is the "nature" of the beast I guess (pun intended). But losing a disc is a VERY real possibility on many of the holes (unless you have the aformentioned chainsaw or remote control).
~ Was NOT a fan of the homemade baskets. They are durable and easy to see, but I found them awkward and offputting. I think it has to do with the loss of visibility that you would get from a wired basket vs the solid semi wheels these are made of. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. They are great for homemade, but I would prefer the Mach 4's and 5's I'm used to.
~ NOT friendly for new or beginning players! Spare them the frustration of hitting trees and wasted time searching for discs.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time at HH. And I don't know if I'll be going back. I have heard nothing but great things about it from everyone. I'm torn though. I see the potential the place has. With cement tees and a bit more thinning of the trees and brush it could be GREAT. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it lived up to the hype or was worth the $3. Maybe I'll try the Highland Course before writing the place off.

Now with upgraded signs and tees!

5+    4/4/2010   8/16/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/14/2014
Pros: Horning's Hideout or as I call it heaven is one of the best destinations for disc golf, camping, fishing, weddings, concerts and more in the country. The Canyon course is a great compliment to the newbie disc golfer friendly Highland course as it is made more for intermediate and advanced level players. The course starts out in the open area near the parking lot and by hole three and four you are in a dense forest area with lots of wildlife and beauty not to mention amazing disc golf holes with excellent technical fairways. The back nine weave in and out of the wooded and open sections of the property with the open holes being much longer. Hole eighteen would be considered the signature hole as it is a 700 foot down hill bomb towards a basket nestled into the tree line near the parking lot. The amount of work it takes to keep this place clean is amazing and everyone seems to be keeping thier trash in the bins provided, in fact they have cans for cigarette butts and recycling bins out on the course as well as bathrooms. I can't believe there was no underbrush what so ever, that was a surprise to me judging by the look of the place. I love these baskets better than the mach 3, mach 5 or any other baskets and they are homemade and very durable. Really I could go on forever here.
Cons: Seriously very few flaws. They recently installed brand new concrete tee pads which was the biggest con and now that's taken care of.
Other Thoughts: Do yourself a favor and go camp on site, with doing so disc golf is free other wise it is $3 per person per day which is the best 3 bucks you will ever spend in your entire life. My plan next time I come down is to camp out on site, play disc golf all day, eat fresh caught trout from the lake, play disc golf all night.

Just Another Of Oregon's Premier Selection Of Courses!

1    8/4/2009   8/6/2009
Pros: Horning's Hideout is a 160 acre paradise sitting at the end of a one mile dirt road. The grounds are open for camping, RVs, music (they just had 3000 folks in for a Bluegrass festival), fishing, weddings, etc. and of course, disc golf. There are currently two courses here. Fall of 2009 should mark the opening of the third and most difficult course. The Canyon course plays mostly through an old growth forrest complete with large ferns, cedar trees and well defined fairways. Peacocks roam the grounds and deer are frequent visitors. The teepads are natural but I had no problem with them. The baskets are extra special. They are made here, incredibly heavy duty, catch well and painted bright yellow. And when your disc falls into the wheel catch, it makes a musical note sort of tone. Very pleasing to the ears. I really believe these baskets should be marketed and sold to some of our courses in neighborhoods where vandalism is a problem.
The course plays well to the rec or average player, I think. There are only two longer holes but they're both fairly monstrous. # 13 is a 435 ft. uphill hyser all the way and # 18 is a way fun 600 ft. sloping downhill bomb over the seasonal marshland. There are sani-cans all over the place. Three bucks to play all day is a bargain. The tee signs are really basic, home made but they convey the information you need. I found navigation to be fairly easy the first time.
Cons: I'd have to play the natural teepads after some Oregon rain before I fully pass judgement on them. Some of the middle holes were pretty similiar.
Other Thoughts: When the third course opens this fall, you'll have, maybe the Northwest's best disc golfing destination here. You'll have three courses; One championship caliber, one recreational/mid level player calibier and a really enjoyable ACE-Thinking-All-The-Way pitch and putt. Having HH and Lucky Mud so close really gives this part of Oregon/Washington the market on magical, enchanting, incredibly beautiful private courses. And for the players living in the Portland area, you guys are really blessed to have such an abundance of wonderful courses so close.

Lord of the Rings

1    6/10/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: TrailBoss
Pros: - Awesome elevation changes
- Primarily a tight and technical woods course, but extremely fair and playable with designated fairways and groomed undergrowth
- Couple of open and long armed holes as well
- Never felt at risk of losing a disc
- Well marked and easy to navigate- they have clearly listened to previous players and made adjustments
- Complimentary towels for cleaning your discs while playing
- Very close to Portland- 20-25 minute drive from downtown
- Clean port a potties
- Beautiful fauna: Peacocks and Deer
- Spectacular flora: Huge Old Growth Rain Forest, Mondo Ferns and Moss and a Lord of the Rings type ambience
- Natural dirt/gravel tee pads, but very level and had no issues with slipping
- Best home made baskets ever
- Each hole had signage that showed the direction to the basket, elevation change and total distance
Cons: I cannot seriously find a complaint or something I think could be improved. The Hornings have heard from the masses and have made the necessary tweaks. Some people will always knock a course that doesn't have cement tee pads, but I think this is a non issue on this course.
Other Thoughts: - Definitely more shorter distance holes in the 200-300 foot range than long holes in the 300+ foot range, but that is the layout for this course. There are a couple of very cool longer holes in the open. A 475 foot uphill Par 4 and a 600+ foot downhill Par 4.
- They are developing a 3rd course that will be a true championship Gold Level course, so there will be complete balance in one venue, when combined with course 2, which is a Pitch and Putt course that challenges you to go double digits below par in the most insane and fun setting
- I think this has become my favorite course in the country and I am pinching myself, because I am moving to downtown Portland this weekend and will be able to play here frequently
- I played Luck Mud yesterday for the first time and it blew my mind. I figured it would be a long time before I found a comparable course and then BANG!- I find myself at Hornings and get my mind blown out. This is a DG paradise and now clearly makes Portland THE disc golf destination vacation in the USA, when you can play McIver, Pier Park, Horning's 1, 2 and soon to be 3, Trojan and Lucky Mud (OFF THE HOOK)- Oh I forgot, Portland is the Micro Brew capital of the country and incredible wine country is just a short drive away

Unbelievable course...

2-4    6/10/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Beautiful setting--very serene, picturesque landscape - scores of peacocks strutting around, deer -- old growth forest
Surprisingly close to Portland--about a 30 minute drive
Very friendly hosts, they give very clear directions--they even give you a clean towel for your discs that you just leave when you're done
Tee pads are level, stable and more than adequate--plus they fit into the environmental theme of the resort
Numerous and very clean porta-potties
Good use of elevation changes
Very good signage, with not only distance but elevation changes noted
Great mixture of holes...short, long, very technical, right and left fades, sharp right and left doglegs, superb elevation shots--something for everyone
Wooded holes are incredibly manicured with a number of very distinct paths to the basket that each offers a different risk/reward
Very easy to follow course...numerous signs giving direction to the next tee
Homemade baskets are all consistent and solid--they grab even laser putts
Cons: Not really any cons…this course has everything a serious disc golf enthusiast could want
Other Thoughts: This course is an amazing example of the love of the sport…who could ever imagine that a private course could be so complete…if you want a good DG mini vacation…this is your place…all skill levels can enjoy the complex because course 2 is a very fun short course.

They are creating a 3rd course right now up in the hills…I can't wait until it's done

This course, with Lucky Mud, can be an anchor for a serious road trip to the Northwest and should be on the wish list of anyone who enjoys being pushed to the limit

A boat load of fun!

1    5/30/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: badbitbucket
Pros: - Difficult, but fun even if you're a novice.
- Most of the course is in the woods.
- quiet semi-secluded country setting
- well-worth the $3 course fee.
- Well-designed home-made targets. Durable and vandal-resistant.
Cons: - course is poorly marked
- flight path diagrams are drawn from a backward perspective making them extremely confusing.
- Minor nit: uneven tee surfaces
- Minor nit: it's often difficult to find the target from the tee.
Other Thoughts: I'm new to the sport, and this is only the second course I've played. (I've played Orchard Park several times.)

First and foremost, I will return to this course often. It's just a ton of fun, and a great way to kill an afternoon. You actually take a hike through the woods to play the course. So it combines one of my favorite sports (hiking) with my newest endeavor, disc golf.

the holes are difficult, no doubt, be even a novice like me, managed to par a couple of holes, and most of the rest were either single or double bogey.

Criticisms:
When I arrived, I asked for a course map and was told there is no need, as the course is "self-explanatory." Unfortunately, it's really not... at least not entirely. All the signs are hand-writen with magic markers and/or sharpies, and they are poorly maintained. Hand-writen/drawn in and of itself is not bad, but everything is faded and many are impossible to read.

For a couple of the holes, I had to traipse around looking for the tees because there were no signs guiding me to them, or they were completely faded.

Flight Path Diagrams:
These were the most frustrating part of the course for me. They are drawn from a backwards perspective, and often you have to stand with your back to the flight path to read them.

I'm an old fat man, and by the time I got to the to the back 9, the last thing I wanted to have to do was flip the diagram around backwards in my head to figure out where to throw the frizbee.

Ok, well now that I've slammed the signage, I will reiterate that this is an incredibly fun course to play and I will return often.

An instant favorite

5+    10/28/2009   2/15/2009
Review By: Adam Schneider
This review was updated on 11/6/2009
Pros:
- Excellent variety of terrain and length: some wide-open shots, some through trees, no boring shots. #18 is a classic -- 600 feet down a hill and over a seasonal swamp.
- Elevation is a factor on most holes.
- Real fairways in the forested sections; trees have actually been removed to create the course.
- Homemade yellow baskets are extremely visible and catch quite well.
- Beautiful setting in the foothills of the Tualatin Mountains; suitable for year-round disc golf.
- Two other disc golf courses on-site, and the $3 entrance fee is for "all you can play."
- Nice concrete teepads.
Cons:
- The homemade baskets aren't perfect.
- Maybe a few too many similar short holes in the middle section.
- In the middle of nowhere (but the existence of two other courses on-site makes this less of an issue).
Other Thoughts: Horning's Hideout is a peacock-infested privately owned venue for camping, fishing, picnicking, weddings, concerts, etc. The first disc golf course, the Canyon Course, materialized out of the blue in May of 2008 and was an instant success. With barely any input from the local disc golf community at large, Bob Horning and his crew managed to build one of the best courses in northwestern Oregon. Since it's private land, they can do whatever they want, whenever they want to make the course better -- and they have and will.

As another reviewer mentioned, HH is 10 miles away from any other services (restaurants, stores, etc.), so pack a lunch if you're planning to spend all day golfing. There are a few snacks and sodas available for purchase at the main house, though.

UPDATE, November 2009: With the addition of concrete teepads, my rating goes up from 4 to 4.5 stars. Very nearly a 5.

Peacocks and Birdies

1    1/15/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: kinfolkfan
Pros: -Peacocks all over the place.
-Maps available and well posted holes.
-Fun and challenging holes.
-Lots of great scenery.
-Things for all to do. Such as hiking, fishing, volley ball, horse shoes, camping, and concerts during the summer.
-Towels are available to use and return for the wet Oregon ground.
-Friendly service.
-Season passes are now available.
-Fair price for a day away from it all.
-Nice home made baskets.
36 holes and more coming.
Cons: -I guess the ground can be a little moist, but its disc golf.
-Long ways off of highway.
Other Thoughts: The two cons were a stretch for me. I just really love this place. I have been going there for years and now it has disc golf. Wow! I cant complain.

My home

5+    7/25/2010   1/15/2009
Review By: Hippy007
This review was updated on 7/26/2010
Pros: This is my home course. I have been helping out there for years and have helped layout a couple of the courses there. This being said, The Canyon course plays very fair all year but in early spring you will want to watch were your disc lands because the underbrush can get very nasty. The baskets are made of semi truck tire rims and have the best sound in the world when you miss a long shot and hit the side of the basket. There are now multi pin placements and a few alt tees. This course is still getting more love to it, to bring it up to where Bob wants it.
Cons: Some people don't like all the hills that are around and some complain about all the trees and blind baskets. I like these things because they make you think and learn to control you disc very well. One big con right now is No benches and kinda confusing signs. Both of these are going to be fixed with the upgrades later this year. On hole 6, 8 and 10 there is a big disc eating ravine there that will also be in play on the new course. If your disc goes down there be ready to look in chest high bushes and a small creek (That you can walk over in the summer and be shin deep in the winter). There are some of us that help out there that will go down there on a regular basis to find as many disc's as we can then they call..
Other Thoughts: At the house they have a lost disc collection point and they call and hold your disc till you come and get it from them. This course is so much fun. There is a quick 9 option to play too where you play 1-5 then 15-18. I will also go out and show anyone that comes though town this course and the whole property if you shoot me a message and I am free. This is my home for most of the year and the course I consider my home course even thought there are 5-6 courses closer. We told Bob that if you build it they will come and they have so much he is going to have 3 course's out there. The baskets on the Canyon course will be worked on soon to conform with the pro course so that when the basket gets approved both will be able to have pro tourneys on them. Bob seems to want to host something very big out there.

Once again Will be tour Guild out there if you want one shoot me a pm.