Festus, MO
Jokerst Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #4 (Taken 2/2009)
4 / 257ft.   4 / --   4 / 374ft.   4 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Red Tee (across slight valley to hilltop basket)

Jokerst Wildt

1    5/25/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. Variety. For a nine-holer, there is a great mix here - uphill and downhill (in fact, not a single really flat hole), ace runs, some long midrange shots (the pins were mostly in the A positions when I played, so there was nothing over 400'), a few moderately risky greens with rollaway potential, minimal rough, a creek that doesn't seem to get too deep and is easily avoided, and while there aren't any truly tight fairways through the woods due to the spacing of the trees, I could appreciate the implied/suggested routes from a designer's perspective. Each of the 9 baskets have two tees (red and blue), except for single shared tees at #6 and #8, and the tees for the most part change the hole enough that playing through twice doesn't feel too repetitive. For locals who play here often, there are also dual pin positions that hopefully are changed regularly.

2. Navigation. Maps are provided on the back of the scorecards available near the parking lot, but it's not a problem getting through this course.

3. Equipment. I love Gateway Titans, and they're in good shape. The concrete tees and tee signs were also sufficient. Small bridges provided for crossing the nearly nonexistent creek if needed.

4. Setting. A surprisingly nice little city park full of mature oaks (the primary obstacle out here besides elevation and wind), with a few other activities and amenities (restrooms, pavilion). Very clean. The park itself was pretty easy to find.

5. Scorecards. Plenty available when we played. They show 18 holes, suggesting two play-throughs (which we did), and distances for each tee and pin position are provided, as well as a basic map on the back with a few simple DG and park-related rules.

6. Fun factor. Very beginner friendly. Playing through twice gives you the chance to get revenge on a birdie that got away on the first 9. If you're local, I see lots of potential for awesome safari holes to change things up (obviously imaginary holes don't get bonus points, but these are things I consider since I do things like make up new holes at MY local courses)!

7. Design. Somewhat related to the navigation section above, but I particularly liked how the course was fit into this small park without much conflict with other tees and fairways (though see Cons below).
Cons: 1. Safety. A few gripes here - shanked drives from #2 could interfere with the pavilion/picnic area (or even the parking lot), and a pretty busy road could come into play on #8 (playing too aggressive off the tee on this ace run and going deep) and #9 (RHBH drives hyzering out; I tried to imagine what the chucker crowd would be capable of here, especially with the long B position, and I envisioned high-speed drivers skipping into traffic). There is also potential to land on private property with nearby houses (but hopefully not a common occurrence).

2. Repetition. Oaks, oaks, oaks. I can never tire of elevation changes, so while I felt the uphill/downhill design was executed well here, the widely spaced oaks and lack of big bushy shrubbery and low ceilings just don't tighten things up enough to equal the challenge of other nine-holers I've played and loved (like Campton Hills in St. Charles, IL, or Lime-Kiln in Grafton, WI). The dual tees didn't change things up TOO drastically, either.
Other Thoughts: I don't have much in the way of Cons for this course, and I initially said I was going to give it a solid 3.0, but as I've written this and considered some of the finer points, I feel that it just can't quite creep into 3.0 territory being what it is. That said, it's a really fun round or two for the traveling golfer, and I'd find ways to get creative if I were a local. One suggestion I would make, which would be a big improvement, would be to have all 18 baskets in at all times to increase the replay factor!

Beginners can learn well out here with the elevation changes and multiple routes - in fact, while we were playing there was a graduation party going on in the pavilion, and much of the crowd stopped their talking and eating to watch us all tee off; as we approached the blue tees for our second round, I noticed some of the kids watching us even more intently, and remembering that I had brought my big bin of old discs, I ran back to the car, grabbed 6 unwanted discs (2 putters, 2 mids, and 2 fairway drivers), and left them by one of the adults in the pavilion. "Let the kids play with these if they want to give it a try," I said, and as soon as I met up with my group on the tee there were a few kids walking over with the stack of discs looking excited. They asked a few questions, I gave them a 2-minute instruction, and off they went! They finished ahead of us, and as we completed our second round and headed back to our vehicle, one of the kids (in fact, I think he was the graduate whose party it was) ran over to me with the stack of discs. "Here, you forgot these," he said. "Did you have fun?" I asked. "Yeah!" he replied. "Do you think you'll play it again sometime?" I inquired. "Definitely!" he answered. I told him to keep them all, or divide them up, but just to get out and keep playing and get his friends to play. He thanked me, ran back, and I was given a friendly farewell with numerous waves from the partygoers. That moment really made my journey to this little course worth the trip!

Solid 9

1    4/6/2012   5/4/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays in a small hilly park that doesn't have many conflicts with other users. Elevation comes into play on most holes, making for a good walk and some fun holes. There are some nice downhill shots and some tougher uphill shots. There is no rough, but mature trees are scattered throughout the park and the holes use the available obstacles well. A few holes have moderately low ceilings, and a variety of shots are needed to take the best lines and score well.

Dual concrete tees add some variety, several offer some pretty different distances and often have different amounts of elevation change. Dual basket positions offer a chance to change things up. Decent signs at the shorter set of tees show hole lengths and both pin positions. The flow of the course is easy to follow.
Cons: There is no punishment for errant shots here, with no rough and plenty of space between the trees. None of the holes really forces a specific line, there are multiple shots available throughout the course so you can get through it ok with only one type of shot. A few of the holes have tees that are only slightly different, offering similar lines and only minor distance variation.
Other Thoughts: The short tees here are very beginner friendly, with reasonable distances and no punitive rough. More experienced players will find even the longer tees fairly straightforward, but for a 9 hole city park there are some decent shots and some fun elevation. If you're in town, this is a quick but enjoyable stop.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    4/7/2012   4/20/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a small, hilly park set in between a main road and a neighborhood. There is a pavilion, and some picnic benches, but it doesn't come into play too badly. Other than a stray park-goer, interference shouldn't be a problem.
- The hilly terrain is the best feature of this course, every single holes is affected. #1 is downhill, #2 is a pretty steep uphill, #3 is downhill, and so on and so forth. Some good valley shots as well, #9 is the best example of this. Some sloped greens come of this as well.
- Good amount of trees here, and they are used well to force lines and take others away. #1 is a straight shot with a low ceiling, #3 has a pretty low ceiling and offers a RHBH hyzer or a big anny, #4 has a very low ceiling from the long tee, #6 and #7 are both hyzers, and #9 is best suited for a big LHBH hyzer around a large, low tree.
- Some good hazards near a couple pin positions, like the woods behind #4 long, a big patch of rough to the left and in front of #5, and a pair of trees surrounding the basket on #8.
- Decent variety in hole length, especially with two sets of tees and two pin positions. #4 long to long plays a lot longer than 438', same with #9's valley shot at 407'. #2's uphill shot also plays much longer from the long tee. Good mix.
- Very nice pads, signs, and baskets. Navigation is easy, flows well.
Cons: - Same terrain from start to finish, so it can get a little repetitive. Avoiding the trees isn't that difficult on many holes, and saving par isn't too tricky even if a shot gets knocked down.
- Some holes play close to a busy street, never fun when relaxing and throwing some plastic.
Other Thoughts: - Not too many cons here; it is a solid course that has good elevation changes throughout, and enough trees to make things interesting. The long tees add good length, and offer different lines, and the basket positions make a big difference as well. Should be a good time for beginner and intermediate players, more advanced players might find it a little cut and dry.

Nice little niner

1    7/30/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
Pros: A feature of this course that really stands out is it's multiple concrete tees (for all but 2 holes) and multiple pin placements; no other niner in the entire area has both. The course was very well groomed/maintained when I was there (with the exception of some recently fallen tree branches that were in the way a little) and the baskets were all in good shape. This is a quaint little park with plenty of shade and it's in a nice, quiet little neighborhood.

The course has a very easy to follow layout that only got confusing a few times (when I had a little trouble figuring out which of the two baskets that were out in the direction the tee pointed was the one I needed to shoot for).

A small creek runs right through the middle of this small park and has created a good deal of topography that gives the course a desirable variety for disc golf. Most (not all) shots seem to involve picking a line that avoids a few trees and then flies over the creek towards the basket. The baskets are easy to spot and it's easy to find the next tee.

There are lots of birdie and ace opportunities on this course and only 2 holes where a seasoned player would have no excuse for not sinking it on the 3rd shot. This would really be an ideal opportunity for a single disc round.
Cons: I'm a newer player to DG than most (pretty awful by most standards), but I still didn't find myself challenged by this course. None of the holes were really instant "gimmies", nor were any totally void of some sort of obstacle or topography... but it all felt easy and a bit repetative. Sure, there's a steep valley right in the middle, but when you're mostly throwing across it... it might as well be flat (unless you really botch the throw or hit one of the well spaced trees.

There were two bridges for crossing the creek, but they were only helpful on 7,8 and 9 - the rest of the time they were too far away to bother with. When/if this creek were to get full or spill over (which there are signs of it doing), it would suck to have to walk all the way to the bridge to cross and then walk all the way back. This is a minimal concern.

I was a little concerned about safety on two of the pin placements: 2 was very close to a covered pavilion and 9 was right behind a smaller covered picnic area. These probably could be made safer by marking some "mando" trees.

There was no toilet, so "go" before you come.
Other Thoughts: Get your directions worked out before leaving because it'd be easy to miss a turn. While you're here, if you're looking for a very challenging 18 hole course, look up West City Park (also in Festus).