Oak Ridge, TN
Groves Park - The Mounds Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #11
3 / 252ft.   3 / 252ft.   3 / 381ft.   3 / 453ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Gold Tee: Blue tee circled.

1 2 3 Next >
 Need Better Layout

1    6/9/2010   6/21/2010
Review By: adrake
Pros: Lot's of open holes and long distance holes for you to crank on some discs if you like to just throw hard. Great big baskets. Baskets are nice, and I like all the different options for the tee pads for different levels of play.
Cons: It's all the same to me. All the holes are long and out in the open. Only one hole in the woods and it is just completely different from the others. The course needs more variety. It took me a little over 2 hours to play with one other guy because we couldn't find the next tee. The next tee pad was never close to the basket. We walked all over the place looking for he right tee. We always ended up at the wrong one. Also, I counted off a few of the holes, and the footage was pretty far off on a few holes. Need to get the measurements right. We passed the course the first time as well because the sign was so small. Also, no tee pads.
Other Thoughts: I threw the same 2 discs all day. My 2 big drivers. I like a course to challenge me and have me use everything in my bag. I like variety, and this course had none of that.

The Beast!!!

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: vidyogamer
This review was updated on 3/12/2010
Pros: Amazing layout spread out over about half of the old golf course its built on. My favorite shot is the drive off of the blue tee for #13. You have to watch where your drive lands on this one. If it goes over the right ob line it becomes government property. Overall an amazing experience.
Cons: Hole 6 does not fit with the rest of the course and even throwing from the gold tee it is way to short, Also the pond at the right-side of 10's fairway ate one of my discs. It almost got my sidewinder off of the tee from 17 as well.
Other Thoughts: This course is beastly long and beautifully planned. Other than hole 6 this course has a whole lot to offer a big armed thrower and if you really wing it it also has a lot to offer for a sidearm driver like me.

My Least Favorite Course So Far.

1    2/20/2010   2/20/2010
Review By: Solid Gold
This review was updated on 2/22/2010
Pros: The setting is something really special. Some great water obstacles and great opportunities for beautiful holes.

I played on a February Saturday with near 60 degree weather, no wind, and skies so clear that you could see the Smokies from anywhere in Knoxville, and there were still only 8ish groups playing on the course. We didn't have anyone slowing us down in front of us, and no one hurrying us from behind.

A huge space to maintain, and it is in fact maintained excellently.

The best basket brand out there. Without the numbered baskets we would have quit this course.
Cons: Course layout, course layout, course layout. As mentioned, hole 6 is something terrible. It's gimmicky, super short, and as the only really "wooded" hole on the course it doesn't fit in at all. I had a big issue with 9 and 10. Their tees are right next to each other, and go in opposite directions. For holes 2, 3, and 4, fairways shared some overlap. One of our players, in the fairway for 2, was almost hit by a drive from 3 (and it wasn't a terrible drive by the guy from 3)

I had a huge problem with tee signage. I found that MOST of the time the different colored tees were not at all where they were marked on the tee sign (number 2 is laughably wrong). Sometimes near the basket the course would tell you where to go for the next tee. That was a welcome occasion, but not the norm.

The tees themselves had major issues. The tees for 7 and 8 are all in the same area, kind of confusing (bad bad flow from 7 to 8, have to backtrack on nearly all of 7 to get to hole 8's blue). Some of the tees for hole 16 were in the middle of the fairway for hole 14, hole 11 and twelve's tees were really scattered.

The baskets were typically very far away from the next tee. Transition time is boring, if a course is designed well you should not be walking 150 feet or more to get to the next tee every hole.

Other Thoughts: I don't think a course ever needs 4 tees. Three would suffice here, being less cluttered, more definable as beginner, intermediate, advanced, and cheaper to eventually build those concrete pads out of. The reds are too easy here anyway, anyone who feels like those fit them best would probably have more fun on a course that requires less walking.

Overall plenty of potential for this course with its location, but I constantly found problems with execution and design throughout my visit. Victor Ashe has a lot of similarities in size to this course, and is easily my pick of the two for the Knoxville area.

Groves Park

2-4    12/30/2008   12/30/2008
Review By: warren1086
Pros: Wow this course has everything to offer. Each hole has good signs, showing distance from every tee and hole placement. Every hole has red, white, blue, and gold tees. Offering up and down hill shots, with great elevation changes. Every hole has short to long distance short depending on tee you chose to play from. If playing from red (beginner) tees the course may seem very easy but if playing from gold tees even more advanced to pro players will have some challenge so every level of skill will have some difficulty. Course is very well maintained, it used to be an old golf course so most of it is pretty open with some holes on the back 9 are moderately wooded, with the exception of hole 6 which is heavily wooded. Has awesome water playing in on holes 8 and 10 so watch out. I thought that the flow of the course was fairly well. Pretty hard to get lost, but some holes are slightly off the general direction but has great signs posted. Great scenery with rolling hills and pond with geese, but watch out for the doo doo. Locals were pretty cool as well.
Cons: A little trash here and there but there were trash cans on some holes so i guess some people just got lazy or drunk cause most were beer cans. Parking is limited and pretty muddy, almost got stuck but luckily had 4 wheel drive got us out. No bathrooms. Hole 6 kinda sucked and i thought it was pointless. Natural tees can get kinda muddy after rain and the course can get kinda flooded especially on hole 18.
Other Thoughts: Over all this course is pretty awesome. When in Knoxville this is definitely the course to play. They have maps/score cards at tee 1 so that helps and is very convenient. They also hold some random tournaments occasionally.

Nuke-town Beauty

1    12/27/2008   12/27/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful golf course feel. Nice Tee signs. Keosk at hole 1 with course maps. Multiple Tee pad positions with real separation to challenge novice to pro. Hand carved wood next hole markers. Painted pavers showing next tee are set in the ground around the basket. OB's, creeks, 'mando's & a pond. Not much elevation change but it's a long walk. Nice new Discatcher's to catch your disc.
Cons: No benches or bathrooms. Natural teepads were a bit muddy but we played in winter. It's probably not a problem other times of the year. Same with the parking lot. Like other reviewers here, I didn't like hole #6 either. But if I deuced it, I'd probably love it. Let's just say that it's "challenging".
Other Thoughts: I remember saying more than once "this place is beautiful". The pond & the mature trees. Clean, family entertainment. I look forward to throwing there again.

Work in progress

2-4    8/21/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: jettaria
Pros: Setting
nice variety
Cons: flow of the holes
Other Thoughts: This was a ball golf course partially converted into a disc golf course. The potential is phenominal with a great setting and variety of shots. The layout is the only thing keeping the course from getting an excellent rating...and that's only a for a few holes. In the middle of a summer day, though it is probably the hottest place on the planet. I enjoy the course though, and if i weren't a lazy, fat man, I probably wouldn't mind the extra, unnecessary walking from pin to tee.

Too bad its 500 miles from home!

5+    11/3/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 4/7/2012
Pros:
Four different tee locations per hole - yellows average 500 ft, blues 400 feet, whites 300 feet, reds 225 feet.

Signs at each hole will help you easily locate the alternate tee locations for that hole.

Beautiful setting, but only a five-minute drive to the main shopping area of Oak Ridge.

Hole #10 - a large pond is between you and the basket. Do you go for it, or play safely along the left side?
Cons:
Minimal Parking and Trash Bins.
No Bathrooms.

No Tee pads.

Flow in some places:
Tee locations for #9 and #10 are near one another, but holes are in OPPOSITE directions
Drives from #4 may take you near basket for #3.
Drives for #5 may take you near tee location for #7
Drives for #7 may take you near tee location for #8

Hole #6 - I'm not a big fan of 8-ft wide, 200-ft long shots, especially when random saplings are left in the middle at the midpoint.
Map/scorecard available at www.orrecparks.org is very useful.

Most baskets are somewhat guarded, either by being cut into the woods, near water, near large trees, behind a bunker.

While many opening drives are indeed "grip it and rip it", large trees, water, and OB areas do come into play, and some holes do require more finesse on the opening shot

Favourite hole: #12. Go straight 225 or so feet, and fade left 50 or so feet, and you'll be near the basket cut into the woods. Since this is a fairly natural throw for me and my Valk, I birdied it twice from the blues! :-)

Update 4/22/11: A few benches have been added. Most of the white and blue tee areas have been framed, but remain dirt. Some tee locations have been moved, so signs not always correct.

Update 4/7/12:
DGphanatic's review does a good job of describing the nine new wooded holes, located on the hill above #6/the pond/#12. Crossing over to/from them was a bit treacherous, and the runaway slope to the right of #7/#9 is quite steep - I found out the hard way! :-( Basket-9 was moved to the path to tee-1, making it even harder.

Good variety of distance, tightness, shape, and elevation changes is found on these holes, and greatly differs from the openness of the original 18.

Like Playing On A Golf Course!

1    8/15/2008   8/16/2008
Pros: What a beautiful setting for a course, wide open gently rolling hills with enough distance and mature trees to provide challenge. There are four sets of tees which are fairly clearly marked. We played the medium length "Blues" which still provided plently of big arm throws off some elevated pads. We thought the course was well designed as to make most every hole more than just a 600' open throw across a wide open field. There are 3-4 baskets set in the woods providing a little technical skills to the course. The signs are very clear and informative. For the most part, the course flowed. We were lucky and just followed some locals. The course was litter free although I did notice some of the smaller signs had been broken up a little.
Cons: # 6 was gone the day we played. I hope that's part of a re-design. Right now, there are no concrete tee-pads, no benches, no restrooms facilities but I would think all those are coming in the future. I think mowing this large course would be a maintenance headache for the park's department.
Other Thoughts: We walked out to the # 1 signs and said, "This is just going to be one of those big open course where you throw as far as you can, walk to your disc, pick it up and throw it again as far you can type courses." But after # 1, that's not the case at all, every throw and approach has a purpose. With the upcoming improvements, this course's rating will be going up.

Glad to see this course.

6/17/2008   6/30/2008
Review By: Shank
Pros: Wide variety of obsticals on this course. Trees that force strategy on drives, approaches and putts. Elevation changes with every shot on basically every hole. Water that can come into play on the 4th, 8th and 10th hole. None of the holes really give you anything without earning it.

Wide variety of distance in holes via the multiple tees. The shortest was 175' and the longest over 700'.

Has been very well manicured in terms of grass. Been to this course several times already. I saw no litter what so ever when I was out on this course.

Cons: The flow is some what off in a couple of places. The 3rd and 5th tee off from the same general area. I found it a little confusing with the current tee signs to know what was what for a minute. The 9th hole takes you one way only to find out the 10th is the exact opposite way. From the 11th it is kind of hard to know where to go next. You end up having to walk back a bit. Little confusing here. Nothing to bad.

No parking lot, Yet.

No bathrooms, Yet.

No trash cans, Yet. As said above I did not see one piece of any kind of garbage on this course. I guess with what seems like an older crowd frequenting the course does not have an issue, Yet.

The 6th hole in my opinion should not exist on this course. It seems kind of weak in design when you compare to the rest of the course. Seems to me they had a nice option for a 6th hole in the same area it just was not utilized?
Other Thoughts: I sounds to me as though they do have future plans for this course/park further down the line. I was told by a local the above Yets would be addressed.

I guess as far as rating this course I should have went with a lower number due to some of the things it is currently lacking. The fun factor and challenge in the course just demanded me to give it the high rating.

1 2 3 Next >