Oak Ridge, TN

1 2 3 Next >
 Nuke-town Beauty

1    12/27/2008   12/27/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful golf course feel. Nice Tee signs. Keosk at hole 1 with course maps. Multiple Tee pad positions with real separation to challenge novice to pro. Hand carved wood next hole markers. Painted pavers showing next tee are set in the ground around the basket. OB's, creeks, 'mando's & a pond. Not much elevation change but it's a long walk. Nice new Discatcher's to catch your disc.
Cons: No benches or bathrooms. Natural teepads were a bit muddy but we played in winter. It's probably not a problem other times of the year. Same with the parking lot. Like other reviewers here, I didn't like hole #6 either. But if I deuced it, I'd probably love it. Let's just say that it's "challenging".
Other Thoughts: I remember saying more than once "this place is beautiful". The pond & the mature trees. Clean, family entertainment. I look forward to throwing there again.

Work in progress

2-4    8/21/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: jettaria
Pros: Setting
nice variety
Cons: flow of the holes
Other Thoughts: This was a ball golf course partially converted into a disc golf course. The potential is phenominal with a great setting and variety of shots. The layout is the only thing keeping the course from getting an excellent rating...and that's only a for a few holes. In the middle of a summer day, though it is probably the hottest place on the planet. I enjoy the course though, and if i weren't a lazy, fat man, I probably wouldn't mind the extra, unnecessary walking from pin to tee.

Too bad its 500 miles from home!

5+    11/3/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 4/7/2012
Pros:
Four different tee locations per hole - yellows average 500 ft, blues 400 feet, whites 300 feet, reds 225 feet.

Signs at each hole will help you easily locate the alternate tee locations for that hole.

Beautiful setting, but only a five-minute drive to the main shopping area of Oak Ridge.

Hole #10 - a large pond is between you and the basket. Do you go for it, or play safely along the left side?
Cons:
Minimal Parking and Trash Bins.
No Bathrooms.

No Tee pads.

Flow in some places:
Tee locations for #9 and #10 are near one another, but holes are in OPPOSITE directions
Drives from #4 may take you near basket for #3.
Drives for #5 may take you near tee location for #7
Drives for #7 may take you near tee location for #8

Hole #6 - I'm not a big fan of 8-ft wide, 200-ft long shots, especially when random saplings are left in the middle at the midpoint.
Map/scorecard available at www.orrecparks.org is very useful.

Most baskets are somewhat guarded, either by being cut into the woods, near water, near large trees, behind a bunker.

While many opening drives are indeed "grip it and rip it", large trees, water, and OB areas do come into play, and some holes do require more finesse on the opening shot

Favourite hole: #12. Go straight 225 or so feet, and fade left 50 or so feet, and you'll be near the basket cut into the woods. Since this is a fairly natural throw for me and my Valk, I birdied it twice from the blues! :-)

Update 4/22/11: A few benches have been added. Most of the white and blue tee areas have been framed, but remain dirt. Some tee locations have been moved, so signs not always correct.

Update 4/7/12:
DGphanatic's review does a good job of describing the nine new wooded holes, located on the hill above #6/the pond/#12. Crossing over to/from them was a bit treacherous, and the runaway slope to the right of #7/#9 is quite steep - I found out the hard way! :-( Basket-9 was moved to the path to tee-1, making it even harder.

Good variety of distance, tightness, shape, and elevation changes is found on these holes, and greatly differs from the openness of the original 18.

Like Playing On A Golf Course!

1    8/15/2008   8/16/2008
Pros: What a beautiful setting for a course, wide open gently rolling hills with enough distance and mature trees to provide challenge. There are four sets of tees which are fairly clearly marked. We played the medium length "Blues" which still provided plently of big arm throws off some elevated pads. We thought the course was well designed as to make most every hole more than just a 600' open throw across a wide open field. There are 3-4 baskets set in the woods providing a little technical skills to the course. The signs are very clear and informative. For the most part, the course flowed. We were lucky and just followed some locals. The course was litter free although I did notice some of the smaller signs had been broken up a little.
Cons: # 6 was gone the day we played. I hope that's part of a re-design. Right now, there are no concrete tee-pads, no benches, no restrooms facilities but I would think all those are coming in the future. I think mowing this large course would be a maintenance headache for the park's department.
Other Thoughts: We walked out to the # 1 signs and said, "This is just going to be one of those big open course where you throw as far as you can, walk to your disc, pick it up and throw it again as far you can type courses." But after # 1, that's not the case at all, every throw and approach has a purpose. With the upcoming improvements, this course's rating will be going up.

Glad to see this course.

6/17/2008   6/30/2008
Review By: Shank
Pros: Wide variety of obsticals on this course. Trees that force strategy on drives, approaches and putts. Elevation changes with every shot on basically every hole. Water that can come into play on the 4th, 8th and 10th hole. None of the holes really give you anything without earning it.

Wide variety of distance in holes via the multiple tees. The shortest was 175' and the longest over 700'.

Has been very well manicured in terms of grass. Been to this course several times already. I saw no litter what so ever when I was out on this course.

Cons: The flow is some what off in a couple of places. The 3rd and 5th tee off from the same general area. I found it a little confusing with the current tee signs to know what was what for a minute. The 9th hole takes you one way only to find out the 10th is the exact opposite way. From the 11th it is kind of hard to know where to go next. You end up having to walk back a bit. Little confusing here. Nothing to bad.

No parking lot, Yet.

No bathrooms, Yet.

No trash cans, Yet. As said above I did not see one piece of any kind of garbage on this course. I guess with what seems like an older crowd frequenting the course does not have an issue, Yet.

The 6th hole in my opinion should not exist on this course. It seems kind of weak in design when you compare to the rest of the course. Seems to me they had a nice option for a 6th hole in the same area it just was not utilized?
Other Thoughts: I sounds to me as though they do have future plans for this course/park further down the line. I was told by a local the above Yets would be addressed.

I guess as far as rating this course I should have went with a lower number due to some of the things it is currently lacking. The fun factor and challenge in the course just demanded me to give it the high rating.

1 2 3 Next >