Brooklyn, MS
Ashe Lake DGC - 18 Share
Uploaded By: peteg Hole #5 (Taken 5/2013)

1 2 Next >
 My own Private Course in the area

2-4    4/23/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
This review was updated on 4/26/2010
Pros: Opening thoughts: The first time I was here, I was not a disc golfer, but I made note of the fact that there were baskets, in my mind. So when I returned to the area, because it's a great place to camp not far outside of New Orleans, and it's on the way to Minnesota, I knew I had to play a round. So I stepped up to the first tee and was like, wtf? 110 feet, wide open. Hole two was the same, as was hole three. The whole time I was complaining, I just didn't understand this course at all, the tee boxes are proportionate to the length of the holes, extremely small. At some point, my disc golf companion said something like "I think this is a course for the blind." Now that makes a lot of sense! Awesome, that's why there's bells! They were not to let the group behind you know that the hole is clear, as if you can't see me from 100 feet away, well, unless you couldn't see me period, that would mean you couldn't see the basket either and would need somebody to ring the bell for you to throw towards the sound. Awesome! So that shattered my hopes of playing an incredible new disc golf course, until I noticed a Discatcher across the lake, there's a real basket over there, there must be more of them! Upon inspection, there was an entire 18 hole course, incredible.

Now, I really like this course, especially because it's like my own private course when I'm in the area (free to play with a national parks pass!). The rest of this review is regarding the full 18 hole course.

Pros:

Remote. This is a course that I feel like I have my own private course, I have never run into anybody else on it in the handful of times I've played, only occasionally fisherman, and they usually stick to the opposite side of the lake. This also means that with no people playing it, there's no trash, so it looks very natural.

Beautiful. Tucked away in the woods, I found myself constantly oohing and ahhing about the scenery, and wild flowers, and with the lack of people, I could easily take my time to smell the flowers.

Multiple Tee's. There were a handful of tee boxes (the longer holes) that had multiple options for tee boxes.

Variety of holes. Most of the holes are relatively short, mid 300's or less, but within this frame there is a great variety, some open, some short and technical, some long accuracy shots. Water comes into play on a few holes, though wasn't really a concern, as long as you have decent control, you should be able to keep it out of the water, that being said, I nearly lost a disc as it hit the very edge of the lake, was able to retrieve it rather easily (after getting a soaking wet foot).
Cons: Hard to find. I stumbled upon this course without knowing it existed. The course itself isn't terribly hard to find, but you have to be paying attention to find the parking lot.

Pay to play. Now, I usually post this as a pro, as paying a course to play there, the proceeds usually go directly to improving a course, or at least towards a department that upkeeps the course. Thus pay to play courses are often leaps ahead of any other courses as they have steady funding. Now, this is a National Forest Recreation area, so you have to pay the $5 day pass to get in, or face a $625 fine (or some ridiculous number). I'm fairly confident that none of this money goes towards this course, it goes to the National Forest service, which is a huge government organization and from what I can tell, there is no upkeep from them on this course so why should I pay them to play! That being said, I always carry an Annual Federal Recreation pass ($80 from a national park, good for all national parks and recreation areas), so if you have one of those, it's free, just leave the card face down on your dash.

Poor Tees. Now, I've accepted gravel teepads as a decent form of tee, not ideal, but workable most of the time. So if you take a gravel tee pad and put a sheet of carpet on it, it should be even better right? Maybe for the first few months, it could have been great! But several years of sitting in the elements doesn't treat carpet well, rotten lumpy carpet is rather difficult to tee off from. Most of them it was fine, but on a few holes I ripped off some of the carpet and laid it on the side to expose the level gravel.

Not Maintained. From what I can tell there is little maintenance done on this course, the fairways are overgrown and the underbrush is quite thick. Lack of play adds to this I'm sure - it does look like a local league is going to be using it, so maybe they will improve this (not that it should be on them to!!) Stupid Forest Service.

Rape Grounds? I know that doesn't sound pleasant at all, but I can think of no other way to explain the large variety of undergarments strewn across the course. (no trash besides this) It looked like somebody had cleaned it up since the last time I was there, but still - there were a couple pairs of undies laying around. I don't know, but it's kind of disturbing.

Hole 7 was disappointing. I only say this, because I approached the tee and saw what I thought was the fairway - a long slight dogleg right, it looked like an awesome hole with a beautiful fairway, in search of the basket, it was not the fairway, the actual basket was in the trees, 'sigh' another 'luck shot', I don't know why they didn't use the obvious fairway that ends directly at the next hole's tee box (maybe it's an alternate basket, I didn't look that closely).

Navigation. There is no signage besides PVC pipes at the beginning of each hole, these may have a rough map, yardage, and a number, or just a number. There are no other hints on navigating the course, no map or any arrows. For the most part it's laid out logically, but the first time I missed 3 holes, threw from the 6th tee to the 9th basket and didn't feel like figuring out how I messed that up so I finished the round from there. The second time through I realized that 6 was a sharp dogleg left, not straight ahead to the basket that is visible.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy this course, as it's rather challenging and nearly like having my own private course in the area. Worth the stop, especially if you have a national parks pass. I probably wouldn't go out of the way for it if you have to pay the 5 bucks though.

Favorite Hole. Hole 2. I walked up to the teebox and thought I remembered a slight dogleg right (was correct) Threw a beautiful Anhyser maybe close to 300 feet. A nice, simple dogleg right, landed about 2 feet from the basket.

Deep foliage

1    6/21/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: Sparkyant18
Pros: The wheelchair accessable course is just amazing for the sport. The wheelchair course is kept up very well and in a great park with benches/bathrooms and picnic areas. The baskets on the 18 hole course across the water and the tee boxes would be nice and a pro if it were kept up and easy to get to without having to trudge through thick weeds and downed branches ALL over.
Cons: No map for the 18 hole course. Very thick brush. Too thick to really get a good smooth round in. Would have finished my game if my wife hadn't been with me but still would rate what I did. She couldn't get to some of the holes with me because of the weeds.
Other Thoughts: Would be a GREAT course if not for the overgrowth. Yet, this is one of the biggest parts of the game. Being that both courses are on here as one, I have to say that most of my ranking was given for the wheelchair accessable course. If I could rate just that course, it would have gotten a 3.5.

5+    11/10/2008   11/10/2008
Review By: boggystudios
Pros: Great course located in the DeSoto National Forest. Good mix of long shots and technical shots and even some long and technical shots.
Cons: None because I like it all.
Other Thoughts: This course needs more play. Holes 13 and 14 are in need of some serious bush hogging - grass as tall as the basket - but I think that is because who ever mows the course didn't know about those. Other than that it seems to be well taken care of.

new

1    10/22/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Good design, with some long holes and some legit. par-4's. Different landscapes from tight woods to cleared wide fairways lined with rough, to tight yet cleared pine forest on a hill by the lake. Tees are not just slapped down, but built up on a box of gravel to ensure smoothness over time. Tees are numbered, not hard to navigate once on it. Water shot.

FRONT 9- an entire extra 9 hole super short and open course across the lake. It's WHEELCHAIR accessible and set-up for blind disc golfers, which is a huge PRO for some of course!
Cons: Somewhat tough to figure out where to park and find the 18 hole course. Heavy growth and tall grass in some wooded fairways.
Pay-to-play (even though that system allows courses like this to exist, it's always a con in my mind).
Other Thoughts: NEW COURSE, WORK IN PROGRESS (I'm guessing). Has potential yet good as is, check it out.

1 2 Next >