Noblesville, IN
Dr. James A. Dillon Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 7/2009)

Nice DGC

2-4    9/4/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: chuckdisc
This review was updated on 9/8/2010
Pros: - A nice course with 19 new baskets counting practice basket
- 4 holes around pond for interesting shots
- RED & BLUE concrete tee pads for every hole
- two basket locations for every hole
- front 9 holes on one side & comes back around to back 9
- wooded and open shots
- short and long holes
- A creek is on left side down the side of hole 11
- Course layout by parking lot
- Nice tee signs with hooks for bag on every hole. Signs show distance for pro and amateur to both basket locations.
- On hole 18 the basket is sitting on a mound
Cons: - No way to retrieve disc from pond besides swimming.
- Back 9 have a few small trees but not many obstacles to shoot around.
- Some times the grass gets high
- The tee signs are at the amateur tee's only
Other Thoughts: A very nice and clean course around a nice neighborhood. There are bathrooms and a drinking fountain. There is a walk way and benches around course. I prefer to play the front 9, a better mix of shots. I drove a hour twice to play this course and will come back and did for a tourney. It was a very good tourney held by Dennis.

Play the front 9 twice

1    2/15/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: gordonbombay
Pros: Very well kept park in a sterile suburban setting. Brand new tee signs,concrete teepads and baskets. Beginner friendly course.
Front 9 has some fun holes that make use of what few trees and water that the course has. Holes 3-5 7 and 8 add enough variety and obstacles you will wish they were more evenly dispersed throughout the course.
Back 9 the only hole I found interesting was 18, where the hole plays on a mound.
Cons: Front 9- Although it plays around water (not really OVER it) is not as itimidating as other reviews would make it.
Back 9 has almost no elevation change, no variety of shots, and no character whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: I played in snow so I didnt have to contend with any sort of "rough" shots, but considering the length of the holes would not have been affected too drastically.
I also started on the back nine and was almost bored and left. Im glad I didnt because the front nine had some really fun holes.

Nice park

5+    10/31/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: bilemshious
Pros: Great park! The grass must be mowed once a week - it seems like grass from ball golf courses. Both sets of tees (short and long) are concrete. The short tees have very detailed signs next to them showing you the layout of the hole as well as distances to the TWO different basket placements. The further tees have the distances painted on the corners that correspond to the appropriate baskets. Tees on a hill are still level - well done here.

You can tell there was a lot of money poured into making this course all that it could be. Everything is top-notch - professional tee signs, yellow Innova DiscCatchers, all in a nice park.

There is a nice restroom and drinking fountain that is not too far from any hole (next to holes 1, 9, 10, 18). Also, there is a practice basket for you to warm up on.
Cons: Some holes just are not that interesting. They are so uninteresting that these holes take away from the many holes that are interesting. Plant a tree or something for me to shoot around. With most of the back 9 being about the same distance, it takes the exact same throw every time since they are out in the open field.

Watch out walking from 5 to 6 - you should walk behind hole 2 so you don't walk across the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Watch out - that pond that you run into several times throughout the round WILL eat your disc if you aren't careful. I'm a pansy and always play up on hole 1 and bomb over hole 9.

My favorite holes are in the back - holes 3, 4, and 5. They are a couple technical holes then a bomber through the trees! The technical holes are very RHFH centric.

Great beginner course from the short tees. The longer tees in many cases make the hole more difficult (different angle, behind some trees, etc.) Overall, it is a fun course to play. If you are in the Indy area, it is a no-brainer that you should play this course!

My Home Course

1    10/7/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: Peachey
Pros: There is some sentimental value added as this is where I met Disc Gold. The Park itself is exceptionally NICE: parking, bathroom, the view. It's a nice neighborhood. Water Hazards make the round interesting - once you've learned how Not to lose discs here you at least can watch the other folks wade up to their necks sometimes. (Been there) The course itself seems challenging. The park employees alternate the pin sites about every three weeks..keeping things interesting for us regulars. THIS IS A NICE COURSE..and it would be a destination course for me if I didn't live only two miles away.
Cons: There is an unusally heavy amount of litter here...including beer cans in bushes etc. This is disappointing. The number of NO TRESPASSING signs on fencing is depressing. Stories and rumors abound about these homeowners..including one throwing a disc into his trash can rather than returning it to the players who threw it. It seems as if the local club and the Park Staff have alleviated this somewhat..signs at this point in the course suggest it at least.

I am not sure what the fuss is about.

1    9/21/2009   9/25/2009
Review By: GaryBlevins
Pros: The course is in a beautiful park that seems very well maintained. There is a medium sized pond that come into pay on 3 holes and with a odd wind current running threw the park it is easy to donate. However, there is a non-profit group that pulls the disc out and will call you or you can look for yours on Saturdays when they show up with a tent.

The front 9 was very interesting with 3 water holes, a hole into the woods and the next hole out of the woods. They used the terrain well and the signs and tee pads were top notch. This course has the best bathrooms I have ever seen at a public park.
Cons: The overall design is ok, strong use of the available trees and water, but this entire park was man made giving a very artificial feel. Obviously, the need to cross the second fairway to get to the tee pad for 6 is hazard, but the hole is very open so you can see the tee pad and they can see you crossing. The course was fairly easy to follow, but there are a few points that would loose you if you are without a map or a guide.

The wind on the the water holes can be very tricky and if you are from out of town or just passing threw (as I was), there is almost no chance to get your disc back.

I played the course the first dry after a few days of rain, so the creeks and pond were very full, which forced me to play more conservatively for fear of loosing discs.

The biggest shortcoming of this course is the back 9. They are all in the wide open with very few small obstacles to deal with. It has virtually no elevation change and very little rough, except for 11 and 13. These holes come very close to some nearly impossible rough and a creek. The holes in this area range from 250 ft. to 400 ft. most which could be made in two with a strong drive and decent putt. The true challenge of the back 9 comes from a swirling wind that is very difficult to predict. The wind on this course makes almost any put outside of 20 ft exceptionally difficult. On a 300 ft. hole, it is entirely conceivable to drive 280 ft and still take a 4.

Other than the bathroom building, I didn't see any trash cans and the course shows it. Also, I did not see any benches.

This course is in a nice suburban area, but it looked like a few of the neighborhood kids had been swinging on the younger trees. I saw two that were broken and laying on the ground.
Other Thoughts: I stopped to play this course on my way from Cincinnati to Chicago. I had never play any of the Indy courses and I wanted to see what was what. I found the course pretty easily (10 min off of I-69) and pulled into a gorgeous park and was looking forward to a great round.

Whenever I play a new course, I try to play with the locals. It usually make everything easier. I waited a few minutes and jumped into a group as the 4th. I told them my situation and they informed me that I had chosen wisely, as this was the best course in Indy. I was grateful to these guys for letting me play with them, but I was frustrated when they threw trash on the course. As the guest, I didn't want to make a big deal, so I discreetly tried to pick up after them.

The course left me feeling a little disappointed, but I was glad to have played this classic midwestern style course. However, next time I will hold out for Lemon Lake or Valparaiso.

Sweet Course Dude

1    9/23/2009   9/23/2009
Review By: jdonhardt
Pros: this is a great course. very well maintained. duel tees for every hole. the red tees are shorter and my gf really appreciated that. the blue tees are longer and can accomodate the bigger arms. plenty of challenges, i actually like the water hazards - even though i had to fish two discs out. and, if you put your name and number on your disc they will mail it back to you after they drain the lake, which they do a few times a year. there are some shorter, more technical holes too. hole 8, for example, i threw my putter from the tee just to get out of the woods! the bathrooms were plenty nice enough if you had to sit down in there ; )
Cons: the course is pretty new, so the trees havent grown in all the way yet...it will be a better looking, more challenging course when they do. its hard to come up with cons for this place.
Other Thoughts: i drove an hour to get there, it was definitely worth the drive. i will return. i believe every hole is a par 3.

Dillon

5+    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: khuye
Pros: This is a really fun course, that provides a nice variety of shots. Lots of birdie ops. I love that they have painted the distances of both pin locations on the blue tees.
Cons: Not really cons, but:
-the course is pretty new, it will be a completely different experience when the trees grow in.
-does anyone else think the lake reaches up and grabs discs that get too close...I have "donated" lots of plastic to the Dillon water gods.

Dillon Park

5+    2/7/2010   9/1/2009
Review By: IndyTyler
This review was updated on 2/25/2010
Pros: well maintained. grass is always acceptable height on fairways. all tee pads are in great shape. course is very easy to navigate. great part of town in a very nice park. water fountain and nice bathrooms. pro shop on site a few days a week. signage is very noticeable and easy to read. discatcher baskets are very nice. nice shade on a few holes.
Cons: water hazard on 1,6,9
this can be viewed as a pro or con. it makes the course test your drives more and rewards you if you throw well. i have seen it eat a ton of discs though. water hazard (creek) on 11. nothing good can come out of throwing far left on this hole. it sucks looking around in there for a disc. stay straight or right on this one.
Other Thoughts: this is a very nice park with friendly people in a great town. it is definitely worth checking out. we need more people to come on tuesday evenings and saturday evenings to play doubles. get some people out there and lets get this going strong.

A Must Play

2-4    8/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: sdervan
Pros: test every aspect of a players game-water on right, left, creeks, woods, open long drives, everything. I had played a course in Muncie just a few days before and thought i would make the drive. It was well worth it. I went back 4 of the next 6 days. I lost 2 disc in the lake on 1 but loved the course. very clean, well thought out course with multiple tees, and pin locations.
Cons: some guys were dragging the pond one of the days i was there and it was like they gave no consideration to the guy at the tee. I was told they were from another disc club.

New Favorite Course!

1    8/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 9/28/2011
Pros: -BEAUTIFUL park! It goes around a nice lake, beautiful trees, the whole nine yards.
-The people here are soooo friendly! Everyone I asked was super kind to help out. My dad and I lost a disc for a little and people from neighboring holes came over and helped until we found it. There was also a concert going on in the park and everyone looked like they were having a great time. It was a great place to be. I had a TON of fun.
-Great signs, baskets, and well kept fairways. It's perfectly maintained.
-There's a gigantic map at the beginning of the course that's very detailed and helpful.
-There's a practice tee, fairway, and basket! It's the first time I've ever seen this and was very impressed.
Cons: -All of the holes were par 3's and pretty short. :(
-Not very many hills.
-There's usually a lot of people here, but they're all very friendly, so no worries.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely recommend playing here and was impressed that it's free to play. I laughed because there was a pair of disc golfers who were going through the course on a golf cart! Another first, haha. Feel free to message me about any questions but I think that from the pictures uploaded on this site it's pretty obvious what's going on. Again, definitely check it out! The community here is awesome!