Noblesville, IN
Dr. James A. Dillon Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 7/2009)

I am not sure what the fuss is about.

1    9/21/2009   9/25/2009
Review By: GaryBlevins
Pros: The course is in a beautiful park that seems very well maintained. There is a medium sized pond that come into pay on 3 holes and with a odd wind current running threw the park it is easy to donate. However, there is a non-profit group that pulls the disc out and will call you or you can look for yours on Saturdays when they show up with a tent.

The front 9 was very interesting with 3 water holes, a hole into the woods and the next hole out of the woods. They used the terrain well and the signs and tee pads were top notch. This course has the best bathrooms I have ever seen at a public park.
Cons: The overall design is ok, strong use of the available trees and water, but this entire park was man made giving a very artificial feel. Obviously, the need to cross the second fairway to get to the tee pad for 6 is hazard, but the hole is very open so you can see the tee pad and they can see you crossing. The course was fairly easy to follow, but there are a few points that would loose you if you are without a map or a guide.

The wind on the the water holes can be very tricky and if you are from out of town or just passing threw (as I was), there is almost no chance to get your disc back.

I played the course the first dry after a few days of rain, so the creeks and pond were very full, which forced me to play more conservatively for fear of loosing discs.

The biggest shortcoming of this course is the back 9. They are all in the wide open with very few small obstacles to deal with. It has virtually no elevation change and very little rough, except for 11 and 13. These holes come very close to some nearly impossible rough and a creek. The holes in this area range from 250 ft. to 400 ft. most which could be made in two with a strong drive and decent putt. The true challenge of the back 9 comes from a swirling wind that is very difficult to predict. The wind on this course makes almost any put outside of 20 ft exceptionally difficult. On a 300 ft. hole, it is entirely conceivable to drive 280 ft and still take a 4.

Other than the bathroom building, I didn't see any trash cans and the course shows it. Also, I did not see any benches.

This course is in a nice suburban area, but it looked like a few of the neighborhood kids had been swinging on the younger trees. I saw two that were broken and laying on the ground.
Other Thoughts: I stopped to play this course on my way from Cincinnati to Chicago. I had never play any of the Indy courses and I wanted to see what was what. I found the course pretty easily (10 min off of I-69) and pulled into a gorgeous park and was looking forward to a great round.

Whenever I play a new course, I try to play with the locals. It usually make everything easier. I waited a few minutes and jumped into a group as the 4th. I told them my situation and they informed me that I had chosen wisely, as this was the best course in Indy. I was grateful to these guys for letting me play with them, but I was frustrated when they threw trash on the course. As the guest, I didn't want to make a big deal, so I discreetly tried to pick up after them.

The course left me feeling a little disappointed, but I was glad to have played this classic midwestern style course. However, next time I will hold out for Lemon Lake or Valparaiso.

Sweet Course Dude

1    9/23/2009   9/23/2009
Review By: jdonhardt
Pros: this is a great course. very well maintained. duel tees for every hole. the red tees are shorter and my gf really appreciated that. the blue tees are longer and can accomodate the bigger arms. plenty of challenges, i actually like the water hazards - even though i had to fish two discs out. and, if you put your name and number on your disc they will mail it back to you after they drain the lake, which they do a few times a year. there are some shorter, more technical holes too. hole 8, for example, i threw my putter from the tee just to get out of the woods! the bathrooms were plenty nice enough if you had to sit down in there ; )
Cons: the course is pretty new, so the trees havent grown in all the way yet...it will be a better looking, more challenging course when they do. its hard to come up with cons for this place.
Other Thoughts: i drove an hour to get there, it was definitely worth the drive. i will return. i believe every hole is a par 3.

Dillon

5+    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: khuye
Pros: This is a really fun course, that provides a nice variety of shots. Lots of birdie ops. I love that they have painted the distances of both pin locations on the blue tees.
Cons: Not really cons, but:
-the course is pretty new, it will be a completely different experience when the trees grow in.
-does anyone else think the lake reaches up and grabs discs that get too close...I have "donated" lots of plastic to the Dillon water gods.

Dillon Park

5+    2/7/2010   9/1/2009
Review By: IndyTyler
This review was updated on 2/25/2010
Pros: well maintained. grass is always acceptable height on fairways. all tee pads are in great shape. course is very easy to navigate. great part of town in a very nice park. water fountain and nice bathrooms. pro shop on site a few days a week. signage is very noticeable and easy to read. discatcher baskets are very nice. nice shade on a few holes.
Cons: water hazard on 1,6,9
this can be viewed as a pro or con. it makes the course test your drives more and rewards you if you throw well. i have seen it eat a ton of discs though. water hazard (creek) on 11. nothing good can come out of throwing far left on this hole. it sucks looking around in there for a disc. stay straight or right on this one.
Other Thoughts: this is a very nice park with friendly people in a great town. it is definitely worth checking out. we need more people to come on tuesday evenings and saturday evenings to play doubles. get some people out there and lets get this going strong.

A Must Play

2-4    8/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: sdervan
Pros: test every aspect of a players game-water on right, left, creeks, woods, open long drives, everything. I had played a course in Muncie just a few days before and thought i would make the drive. It was well worth it. I went back 4 of the next 6 days. I lost 2 disc in the lake on 1 but loved the course. very clean, well thought out course with multiple tees, and pin locations.
Cons: some guys were dragging the pond one of the days i was there and it was like they gave no consideration to the guy at the tee. I was told they were from another disc club.

New Favorite Course!

1    8/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 9/28/2011
Pros: -BEAUTIFUL park! It goes around a nice lake, beautiful trees, the whole nine yards.
-The people here are soooo friendly! Everyone I asked was super kind to help out. My dad and I lost a disc for a little and people from neighboring holes came over and helped until we found it. There was also a concert going on in the park and everyone looked like they were having a great time. It was a great place to be. I had a TON of fun.
-Great signs, baskets, and well kept fairways. It's perfectly maintained.
-There's a gigantic map at the beginning of the course that's very detailed and helpful.
-There's a practice tee, fairway, and basket! It's the first time I've ever seen this and was very impressed.
Cons: -All of the holes were par 3's and pretty short. :(
-Not very many hills.
-There's usually a lot of people here, but they're all very friendly, so no worries.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely recommend playing here and was impressed that it's free to play. I laughed because there was a pair of disc golfers who were going through the course on a golf cart! Another first, haha. Feel free to message me about any questions but I think that from the pictures uploaded on this site it's pretty obvious what's going on. Again, definitely check it out! The community here is awesome!

Getting better with age

5+    9/23/2011   7/29/2009
Review By: Matthew boals
This review was updated on 5/26/2012
Pros: 17 2' to 5' white Pines have been planted on holes 12 thru 18. A few of the taller ones have been placed close to the DISCatchers. 2 have been added on #1, as a safety feature, so it harder to throw over the paved trail. Another tree between #9 Pro/Am tee. Another one to the right of both pin placement on #9. It was planted in the wrong place,it should have been BETWEEN the two pin placements. Two tees & pin placements per hole. Great Houck tee signs,some with bag hooks. Practice hole,between pavilion & bathrooms. Park/Course map by practice tee. Front 9 starts by the disc eating pond. Holes 3,4,5 plays into Mature trees and a creek (creek plays on#3 only). #6 tee by the pond. #7,#8 plays into & out of mature trees. Finish the front 9 by the pond. The back 9 starts on the East side of the pavilion. Previously nothing more than a wide open field. Man-made mounds,Buffalo grass & very young trees have been added for some obstacles. In 5-7 years the trees will be more of a factor.Until then the tall buffalo grass should be played as an O.B. As another reviewer wrote "placement of your drive is key more than pure distance" could not be said any better. Wind is almost always a factor. Fairway grass cut weekly. Discatchers moved between rounds at the Unions monthly tournaments.
Cons: Mostly flat, a few holes do have roll-a-way greens. (#1,#2,#9) Back 9 open, use tall grass as risk/reward. holes become more interesting than they look.
Other Thoughts: Very active club is in the process of adding more grasses in the front and back 9. Bathrooms are locked in the winter,From about Halloween to April fools Day. From #5 to #6 WALK BEHIND #2 TREE LINE TO THE SECOND OPENING,TURN RIGHT FOR #6 TEE, by the pond. Trash cans are located by the bathrooms & Pavilion. Trash cans are used for other park activities, could or could NOT be around the course. Bench by #14 tee. Lost and found discs,out of the water and weeds (#11). You can check for yours when the Unions Pro Shop is open. Go to thehdgu.com for hours and prices. A third pin placement on #7 is in!

Second to Washington.

5+    6/22/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: EMorrow
Pros: Brand new course that's well maintained, some holes seemed random (2,6,10,12,16) while others definitely had strategy in mind. Front 9 is among the best in the midwest.
Cons: The retention pond on the front 9 is notorious for swallowing discs, personally I've lost 5-10, with friends 20+, it's also getting pretty nasty with mildew and weeds... there are a couple modest creeks to the right of 3 and the left of 11 that might get your feet wet. Right now (6/22/09) your lucky if you get your disc out of the creek by 11, due to how thick the brush is. The back 9 is somewhat boring, but is still a challenge and almost always windy. The walk from 5-6 crosses the hole 2 fairway....?
Other Thoughts: The long tees provide a decently more challenging alternative, some holes are lengthened 15-20 yards. (5,7,9,11,17,18)

Nice Course if you know what you are doing

5+    6/8/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: scstone2006
Pros: Variety of shots and evironment. Lake and woods front 9, wide open back nine
Cons: If you are a beginner, the lake will eat your disc almost guarenteed, unless you throw 8 times to get it to the hole. Back nine and be really windy, but challenging and fun at the same time
Other Thoughts: I love it, but I would definately say its not for beginners

1    5/6/2009   5/7/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 6/8/2011
Pros: The signs are excellent and there are two tee pads and two pin positions for every hole. The front 9 plays around some strategically placed trees and OB in the form of a pond, a stream and a walking path. The back 9 is wide open with the exception of two holes. Hole 11 has a stream on the left that can really come into play and hole 18 has sidewalks on both sides of the fairway and a couple trees to watch out for.

This is a fun course and the majority of the holes are medium length (300-350 ft) from the long pads. With the exception of the 4 water holes, I'd say this is a good beginner course because bad shots are not punished (keeping in mind there was no tall grass when I played here).
Cons: The shot variety here is very poor because so many of the holes are wide open, I believe two holes required a turnover shot.

When I played here on 5/6/09, there was no tall grass on the course as some previous reviews mentioned. That would have added some spice to the back 9 and made it more challenging. But no matter how you spin it, about 2/3 of this course is wide open with insignificant elevation change.

The tee signs were at the short tees not the longs. This means you have to walk past the long tee to look at the sign and then walk back, or look at it once you've thrown.

The short pads are nice for beginners but rarely change the shot.
Other Thoughts: I checked out this course here on DGCR before I went and it had a 4.09 rating on 9 reviews. After playing here, I cannot in good conscious give this course a rating that good. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice, picturesque course and if I lived within a half hour I'd play it frequently, but this is no 4 disc course IMHO.

***UPDATE*** I heard there have been some improvements made to the course since I was last here. I will updated my review once I play the course again.