Layout Extinct

Winchester, KY
Ironworks Hills DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: adam423 Hole #6 (Taken 2/2011)
Cleared the entrance to the pond on 6, bringing it more in play. The pond is just over the ridge on the left, my drive on the right.

Mostly Rip, Some Grip

1    4/3/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Concrete tees, tee signs, and quality baskets. Easy to navigate - hardly needed a map.
Cons:
Sign says gates may close as early as 1630, not re-opening until 0800, and parking outside the gate is somewhat limited.
For those who like to hurl discs full force, you'll have plenty of chances, with 2/3rds of the holes 350'+, playing up, down, and across a wide-open field. Short holes 2&3 put a premium on wooded accuracy, and three holes have their baskets tucked several feet into the woods at the culmination of long, open drives. Minimal shot shaping required - a subtle right here, a gentle left there, but mostly just straight.

The teepad for #6 is not in-line with the basket - throw over the front-left corner! Somebody etched a useful arrow into the concrete, hinting at this, but I didn't notice until after I had already thrown. :-(

Fun course to air it out, but you'll need to work on your turns/fades elsewhere.

nice course

2-4    8/15/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: jazz
Pros: I saw a bit about this course on this site a couple of months ago, and went to see it. It was a few weeks before its official opening (which I didn't know at that time). It was a little rough. Then I heard about the opening, and while I didn't go to that event, finally returned there last week.

I was surprised, and in a good way. Things are well-marked, I had no confusion getting from one hole to the other. The grass was a bit tall, but not enough to cause many problems in finding discs.
Cons: Not really any. The tee pads are a little strange, and one was still being worked on, I guess.
Other Thoughts: In ball golf, not every course is a Pebble Beach or an Augusta National, and that is a good thing. Back when I played ball golf, I usually played the local munis and par 3 courses, and found those quite challenging enough.

Ironworks Hills is a solid course. It may not be very testing to the better players, but so be it. It's a good one for new players to get a good taste for the sport, and it can be enjoyable for those of us who are not all that good at it just yet.

All-in-all, well done.