Winchester, KY
Uploaded By: adam423 Hole #9

Mostly Rip, Some Grip

1    4/3/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Concrete tees, tee signs, and quality baskets. Easy to navigate - hardly needed a map.
Cons:
Sign says gates may close as early as 1630, not re-opening until 0800, and parking outside the gate is somewhat limited.
For those who like to hurl discs full force, you'll have plenty of chances, with 2/3rds of the holes 350'+, playing up, down, and across a wide-open field. Short holes 2&3 put a premium on wooded accuracy, and three holes have their baskets tucked several feet into the woods at the culmination of long, open drives. Minimal shot shaping required - a subtle right here, a gentle left there, but mostly just straight.

The teepad for #6 is not in-line with the basket - throw over the front-left corner! Somebody etched a useful arrow into the concrete, hinting at this, but I didn't notice until after I had already thrown. :-(

Fun course to air it out, but you'll need to work on your turns/fades elsewhere.

nice course

2-4    8/15/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: jazz
Pros: I saw a bit about this course on this site a couple of months ago, and went to see it. It was a few weeks before its official opening (which I didn't know at that time). It was a little rough. Then I heard about the opening, and while I didn't go to that event, finally returned there last week.

I was surprised, and in a good way. Things are well-marked, I had no confusion getting from one hole to the other. The grass was a bit tall, but not enough to cause many problems in finding discs.
Cons: Not really any. The tee pads are a little strange, and one was still being worked on, I guess.
Other Thoughts: In ball golf, not every course is a Pebble Beach or an Augusta National, and that is a good thing. Back when I played ball golf, I usually played the local munis and par 3 courses, and found those quite challenging enough.

Ironworks Hills is a solid course. It may not be very testing to the better players, but so be it. It's a good one for new players to get a good taste for the sport, and it can be enjoyable for those of us who are not all that good at it just yet.

All-in-all, well done.