Sheboygan, WI
Pigeon River Elementary DGC Share

D = Dud no ability to Draw Dave back

1    6/26/2010   3/1/2011
Pros: As is usual for elementary school courses, they are designed for elementary aged kids (duh!). It is wonderful that they have this for gym class to introduce the game to kids (I have 3 elementary age kids myself), but I try to review/rate in a way that will be helpful to others who are like me. I try to measure and explain what about a course will draw me back to itself over and over and over. This course has zero/zilch/nada in that ability.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses (over 110 played):

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
(Wide open and short. Not much more to add to that.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == D
(With holes ranging from 120 to 230 that are completely flat and devoid of obstacles, there is no challenge and therefore no reward. I suppose you could just run at aces all day long and have some fun.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == D
(The only variety would be that the holes go in a lot of different directions, so on a windy day you would be faced with a wide variety of angles at which you would need to negotiate the wind.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
(When you are behind the school you are not in view of any houses really except for the school. Even in the front, there are only 3-4 houses you can see so it is nice and quiet. It is not run down, but it is not spruced up or manicured in any way either.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == NA (0 bonus points for this)

Short n easy

1    7/2/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: This is a nice little elementary school course with lengths appropriate for younger kids learning the game and a couple holes with some interesting challenges for beginners. As a school course, this is a pretty good one, and I love seeing places like this exposing kids and the community to the sport. The baskets are in great shape and catch well. There are large wooden posts marking the tee areas, and the course has good enough flow that the lack of more signage isn't a big deal. The last hole is a nice shot into a small grove of trees.
Cons: This is a nice school course, but I try to rate all courses on the same scale. This is an open, short, easy course without any real challenge for more experienced players. I shot an 18 with only a wizard, and I'm a pretty mediocre player, so there really isn't anything to make you work for 2s, the only challenge is trying to hit aces. A couple holes play close to playground areas, especially with newer players who don't have good control of the disc this could be a little bit of a safety issue.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice little school course and great for the purpose it was designed for. More experienced players won't find any challenges, with only one interesting hole and nothing that is long enough to justify more than a putter shot. Don't go out of your way to play this one, but if you want to introduce a kid to the sport this is a fine place to start.

Good beginner course.

1    5/10/2009   5/10/2009
Pros: 1) Nice maintenance, it looked like they had even gone out and mowed lower around the baskets and tees while the middle of the fairways and rough were fairly long. Not a big deal, but it would allow a little more advancement of the disc if you landed it close to the basket.

2) Nice posts indicating the next tee. None are numbered but the route is easy to see, just head to the closest post.

3) Nice baskets.

4) #9 is th ebest hole as the basket is tucked underneath a handful of evergreens. That is nice to force a certain shot into the basket area.

5) #8 is the only hole with any length, plus it is right back into the teeth of the wind.
Cons: 1) Not enough challenege on really any holes.

2) All holes are wide open and no elevation change really.

3) No signage, it isnt a big deal because the holes are short and you can see the next hole easily.
Other Thoughts: I am rating this course as if you are not a beginner so please don't downgrade my review if you are a beginner and enjoy this course. For the most part if you are on DGCR you are not a beginner and will not find much enjoyment from this course because it is so short and easy.

It is a perfect course for people to learn the game. Open holes of varying distances. No water, almost no woods to penalize errant throws.Because it isn't used very much everything is in great condition.

Don't go out of your wa for this course but if you are in Sheboygan and want a warmup for Vollrath or Jaycee Park Quarry hit it up. I played it in between the two other courses. I thought about only allowing myself to use a putter to give that a shot, but I decided against it.Don't expect a challenge. I am actually embarrassed I only shot -4. I didn't even birdie the 121' hole and I tanked a 10' putt on #3.

6/28/2008   6/28/2008
Review By: joshdarkstar
Pros: A very easy course. Great for practicing mid-range drives and putting. The whole field is wide open so it's easily navigated.
Cons: Some holes are way too short for anyone other than a beginner. If you are looking for a challenge, this course will be very boring.
Other Thoughts: I believe this course was set up for the kids at the elementary school. The farthest hole is probably around 200 ft. Anyone even decent with a Roc could shoot -9 or better on this course.