Layout Extinct

1 2 Next >
  Changes to course...

1    10/27/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: naad
Pros: Beautiful park setting with little traffic. Signs have been put up to point you in the direction of the next tee. Holes #2, 3, 7, 9, 13, and 14 have been recently trimmed and opened up making them much more playable. Holes #2, 7, and 14 have had the long tees moved back adding some length to the course. Definately a work in progress. Plans are to move some alternate basket locations this fall and winter to add some more variety. Maps/scorecards always available at tee #1.
Cons: Holes #10, 11, and 12 need some work and will be addressed this fall and winter.
Other Thoughts: This course was not designed for the "area pros". This course was designed with everyone in mind and FREE. Not sure what MulliganStew was talking about with the path to one of the latter holes torn up. Pictures uploaded here are not up to date.

Sigh...

5+    10/17/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: john campbell
This review was updated on 11/16/2008
Pros: I play here quite a bit because it's close to home. Most of the holes are quite fun. I enjoy the course, but see alot of flaws (and I'm a rookie).
Scorecards are always available at the 1st hole. Very cool.
There is very little traffic and we usually have the place to ourselves.
NEW: directional signs have been installed!! and the brush has been cleared on a few holes, made a big difference on #7. thanks. Good job on the recent changes.
Cons: The rubber tee pads suck. They are too short, slick when wet, uneven, and, well, they just suck. Replace them with longer concrete tees to start. I assume these rubber pads are temporary. The course is under construction and it could be that permanent tee placement hasn't been decided.
Grab a scorecard because you're gonna need the map. The first few times we played here we were lost, even with the map. Directional signs would be nice since there is way too much distance from basket to next tee on many holes.
Even after playing there a dozen or more times, I find myself looking around and thinking, "Ok, which direction do I start walking to find the next tee?"
The rough is brutal, but I've learned to deal with that (note: I have also been attacked by the pack of ferrel kittens that upfromtheashes encountered, see his review below).
Other Thoughts: Redesign. Period.
It's a great park, scenic, green, nice terrain, but this course wastes too much space. It has the potential to be one of the best courses in the area. It just needed a little more thought. It IS brand new (just opened this summer). I hope the "under-construction" rumors are true and next spring brings new life. NEW: (Nov. 16) Tee pads have been moved around again, at least one new one added, some holes have been extended. Change is good.

New coarse. YES!!!

2-4    9/13/2008   9/28/2008
Review By: MulliganStew
This review was updated on 10/27/2008
Pros: It is a new course in the Metro area... Good course for beginer and intermediat players. Pretty and well maintained. If you go early wait until the rooster calls on 5, trust me your shot will be better.
Cons: Needs some design help, too much distance between holes. Rubber mats..The rough is seriously rough, this course has taken more blood then any other I have played. Think lots of thorn bushes in every brush spot. Do not go in the bathrooms, trust me on this one. Some huge new home construction going on in the area has the path to hole 17 all torn up. You can walk around closer to the road, but if you take a straight line to 17 you are walking through a construction site. I hope that clears things up for you. Thanks, have a great day.
Other Thoughts: With a little adjustment one could squeeze 27 into this space easy. It is a great course for any level player.

It's getting better...

2-4    6/27/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: upfromtheashes
This review was updated on 5/24/2009
Pros: It's in a pretty park. It has a mix of open and wooded holes which I can appreciate. ***UPDATE - it is being worked on, and is a better course now than when I first played it. I'm changing my rating from 1 star to 2 stars.***

Maps provided at the first tee. This is a big help because some of these holes I'd never have found on my own. ***UPDATE - There were no maps available today, but there are signs pointing toward the next tee which were helpful.***
Cons: Where do I start? How about the tee pads? These are rubber mats that are staked into the ground. They aren't big enough, and when I played, there was still dew on the ground and the tee pads were slippery. ***UPDATE - still with the same slippery rubber mats, but many of them have been moved around. Once "permanent" positions have been established, concrete tees will improve the course.***

This course has not one, but TWO different holes that are under 100' in length. 100 foot holes?!? Seriously? To me, that screams "LAZY COURSE DESIGN". ***UPDATE - both of these holes now have alternate teepads that extend their length from "ridiculously short" to simply "short", and are much more acceptable as legitimate golf holes.***

On some holes, the "long" tees were literally 15 feet away from the "short" tees. Why even bother? ***UPDATE - many of the multiple tees have been spaced further apart to create more of a difference in shots. However, this has created a secondary problem in that many of the signs no longer have correct distances or tee/pin locations on them.***

Several holes had low hanging branches that would prevent using a given tee. I'm talking branches 5 feet in front of the tee hanging down around chest level. Am I expected to tee from my knees here? ***UPDATE - today I encountered no issues with low hanging branches near tees.***

Lastly...the rough. This is the thickest, nastiest, thorniest rough I have ever seen anywhere. Make darn sure that you pay attention to where your disc goes if you miss the fairway, because otherwise you may never see it again. Trouble is, there are some blind shots where you CAN'T always see where your disc entered the rough. I looked for one of my discs for a solid 30 minutes and went home looking like I'd been attacked by a pack of feral kittens. ***UPDATE - unfortunately this problem is not really fixable to begin with. It's still just as thorny and nasty as ever. Finding a 4 foot bull snake hissing near a disc didn't make me thrilled with the prospect of going back into the jungle, nor did the ticks I brought home. I cannot recommend playing this course alone, as several blind holes require a spotter in case you miss a fairway.***
Other Thoughts: Another reviewer mentioned that the course is still being worked on. That's good news. I will agree that this course has potential, but if it's not improved then I doubt I'll bother playing it again. ***UPDATE - hopefully this course will continue to be refined. There's room for me to adjust my rating further if additional improvements follow.***

Potential

5+    8/17/2008   8/18/2008
Review By: discpilot.com
Pros: This course is spread across 55 acres and is located in a very well maintained park. The course has a variety of shots, consisting of both hyzer and anhyzer shots that vary in distance (depending on which tees are played). While several holes are wide open, a stretch of open/strait holes will provide players with a good opportunity to work on developing more distance.
Cons: The course is not complete! The parks department is still working to develop several holes to make the course more playable/enjoyable. Trees and debris are still being cleared from many areas of the course, especially the wooded holes. Additionally, several baskets are being relocated to make the course more challenging which will provide some added distance to a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This course is very new and with work and time it can become a very nice/competitive disc golf course. There is a lot of potential in this 55-acre park!

5+    2/8/2009   8/5/2008
Review By: danhal87
This review was updated on 2/10/2009
Pros: Recently Updated with more to come!!! Teepads were moved to make some longer and different looks at holes, and trees and brush were cleared in many areas. The recent ice storms and wind didn't effect the course hardly at all. There are trees and branches down in places, but they aren't in the way or anything. Much improved....

First course I've played. Fairly easy with many holes that are very alike, and there isn't much length to the holes (longest hole is 420, and is the only one over 400). Many wooded holes however, which are short and have not much of any fairway, but are the most fun holes on the course. For most people it would take luck to get a shot past the many trees, but if you are accurate you can squeeze it through.
Cons: Lots of places to lose a disc, but finding them isn't too bad either. I have had at least a few ticks on me after every round. The first time you play it is hard to find the next tee, but after the first it's easy. Many holes are almost twins.
Other Thoughts: It's an okay beginners course, and the woods will be either loved or hated. Takes just over an hour if you play by yourself.

Blah!

1    7/12/2008   7/14/2008
Review By: tenWatts
This review was updated on 3/9/2009
Pros: The open holes are fun par three ace runs. The park is pretty and well manicured.
Cons: I don't have a lot of positive feedback about this course. The open holes are VERY easy par three golf shots with VERY little variation. I would say that at least 90% of the course is straight to hyzer shots for a right handed player. The wooded holes are some of the worse designed holes I've EVER seen. Laughably short with multiple trees in the middle of the fairways leaving room for only lucky shots to get through. There are WAY to many instances where good shots are punished by either a tree in the middle of the fairway and/or two foot tall rough a couple feet from the basket. The "long" pads on the wooded holes are also a bit ridiculous. Being forced to place lay-up shots on 250 foot holes does NOT showcase a player's ability. Often times the "long" and "short" pads made ZERO variation in the shot. Finding your way around the course is maddening. There is ZERO direction!
Other Thoughts: I cannot recommend this course to either the experienced pro or a beginner. It's NOT a good example of a disc golf course. This is not coming from someone who just went to the course and shot poorly. I shot a 41 the first (and probably only) time I ever played it.

I have NOT played the NEW layout! My review is based on the OLD layout. I will update my review upon playing the new course.

1 2 Next >