Newark, DE
Iron Hill Share
Uploaded By: De Hermit Hole #3 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 270ft.   4 / 430ft.   3 / 500ft.   4 / 660ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Mid-Fairway

best of de.

2-4    7/1/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: disc gopher
This review was updated on 8/9/2013
Pros: ultra-challenging...much more difficult than any other course in delaware, but without it being unmanageable. I see that alot of these other reviews say things about the course not being complete, but as of 7/1 it seems to be fairly complete. all holes now have alternate pin AND tee positions. great scenery here-loved the rocks and how they were utilized, especially around the pins. signs are wonderfully detailed compared to most courses. It was also very well maintained, brand new baskets/tees/signs/etc. lovely mix of uphill/downhill; left/right dogleg holes.
Cons: not for those who are easily frustrated. if your drives from the tee are off, you will have a VERY difficult time recovering and saving par if you're playing from the gold tees and going for the far pin positions...i personally dont see this as a con, but to beginners this can be a real morale breaker. the only true con i can think of is the location-the park can be somewhat hard to find since it is located inside of a neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: I.love.this.course. everything about it is PERFECT...and the creators of the course are still working on perfecting it. when we played we came across the course pro and a crew removing trees and fine-tuning the course. Iron Hill disc golf course is a true masterpiece. bar-none the best course in Delaware.

As Iron Sharpens Iron

1    4/10/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Two baskets per hole. Gold-level concrete teepads with excellent signs, showing distance to each basket and elevation change, too. Plans for multiple tee locations per hole. Lots of length, and plenty of challenging basket positions. Two practice baskets. Next tee signs, benches, trash cans. Conveniently located to I95 and not too far from food/petrol options.
Cons:
Tees still a work in progress - if not playing from the gold, need to scout ahead to see if the blue and/or white tees are available. Closer baskets, since they have no flag nor colour band, are not always easy to spot. Despite playing primarily on mildly-sloping land, some areas manage to hold water.
Looking for a challenge? Come here to experience an incredible combination of length and wooded-tightness, requiring a great mixture of shots in your arsenal. Other than a couple across-meadow holes near the start, this course will keep you in the woods the entire time. Well-defined throwing-paths, ranging from generous to tight, but nothing ridiculous. With so much length, you'll have plenty of opportunity to work on your shot-shaping - and/or recovery shots. Very even blend of left/right/no/S-turning shots needed off the tee - and, at times, from the midpoints of the fairway. About 2/3rds of the holes had modest elevation changes. The last 1/3rd of the course can, at times, feel a bit like pinball.

As you enter the park, there is a small parking lot to your left - #14 starts in the near left corner; Farther on, there is a small parking lot near tee #4; Finally, the larger parking lot near the practice baskets and tee #1.

Some favourites: Hole #1 - a long, flat, sweeping right-turner. Long-basket #5, nestled amongst a small collection of boulder and trees. Hole #13 - a long, downhill, slow left-turner. Long-basket #17, sitting atop a small raised plateau.

Very much looking forward to the complete installation of the blue and white tees with corresponding signage. With new and improving Carousel not too far away, northern Delaware is quickly becoming a mecca for disc golf.

Kick Ass

2-4    4/10/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: DWill
Pros: Multi tees and dual baskets on the majority of the holes. Well defined fairways, though some are very tight. Plenty of next tee signs and course navigation isn't too difficult, even if one doesn't have a map. Tee signs at each hole's gold tee. Tee sign gives plenty of information, such as basket locations as well as alternate tee pads. Gold tees are very nice, big and flat concrete. Most of the alternate tee pads were nice as well, however, they are crush stone.

Trash cans and benches throughout the course. Nice use of elevation to increase the challenge and/or beautify the course. Good mix of left and right turning holes. Because it is so wooded, plenty of shade for the summer heat. Good mix of par 3, 4 and 5.

Very convenient to I-95, just a few minutes off the highway. The free park entrance for us out of staters is a big plus :-). Porta Johns on site. Tot lot for the younger family members.
Cons: Shade prevents the course from drying out, and can be swampy in some parts. Rugged and long terrain might be too much for the young ones. Tight lanes make a lot of ricochets off of trees. This puts you off the fairway and can increase the possibility of losing a disc.

A few of the holes seemed too similar, long and tight. Hard to locate some of the alternate tees, not sure if I couldn't find them or they were not installed yet.
Other Thoughts: Northern Delaware is becoming a hot bed for champion level courses, with Carousel Park around the corner and the already existing courses in the area. Even in the shortest configuration, this isn't really a beginner level course. The course reminded my a lot of the South central courses of Pennsylvania, then the other Northern Delaware.

Some memorable holes, lots of challenge we want you coming back for more, even if it kicks your butt.

Very Challenging

1    3/24/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: NurseRandy
Pros: This course is very well maintained and very well marked. It has concrete tees (for the pro/gold tees, some other tees are not done or not there on some holes, see below) and new baskets. It is well designed in a loose figure 8 with holes 1 10 and 18 all near the parking lot/portapoties. Some benches and trashcans throughout.
Cons: Not finished yet. Missing or incomplete tees on some holes, misssing alt/silver basket on some holes.
Other Thoughts: I did not find this course to be very fun. It consists almost exclusively of long tight wooded lanes. This is a great place to improve your game, but not a good course for a day out with the crew. Getting through this course felt like a real workout.

Challenging Fun

1    1/18/2010   1/25/2010
Review By: JACKAROO
Pros: The only reason I don't give this course 5 discs is it's just not done yet. Very beautiful and challenging. The fairways are long and tight but mostly open and defined. Just enough elevation change with hills and large rocks to make it very fun.
Cons: Not all the tees and baskets are in. Once the "shorter baskets" are in this course will be fun for all skill levels.

Awesome challenge

2-4    9/10/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: cefire
Pros: Great design, room for expansion, good tees, extremely challenging but fair at the same time - love it
Cons: A few of the fairways in the back are a bit difficult to navigate unless you've played them before. No other cons that I can think of - this place rocks!

Awesome Monster

1    9/8/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 11/14/2009
Pros: This is absolutly the prettiest and best course that I have played. Check the reviews for some of the Charlotte NC courses where I normally play. This beats them all. The designers seem to have had a compulsion to make an even amount of straight, L, R turning up, down and flat holes. All holes had very clear and fair pathways. Many holes have multiple lines that allow for RH and LH shots. The length of the course is not a problem. Most players can throw over 200 ft. Multiple 180-220 ft shots get you to a average upshot and/or easy putt for par. Par was set very fair. I feel like there is a large variety of hole types. I can't imagine a DG course prettier in the front 9. (and my home course is Brackett's Bluff in Davidson NC ((check reviews there)) Beautiful woodlined fairways wtih almost manicured mowed grass. Tee signs were some of the best that I have seen. Loved the end of 17. I really dislike courses that are made short then shoe horned into being longer with odd tee and basket placements. This was made long and short locations added making the flow of the course awesome. Most of the woods are huge old trees with little to no prickers. Any errant shot is easily thrown back into the fairway or even advanced up the fairway. If you play smart here and can putt you will shoot near par at the long locations par of 71.
Cons: I have to be really picky to point out some cons. After building a few courses myself, I know how hard it can be to complete all the details. Especially when players like to destroy them.
I was confused getting from the long baskets to 5-6 of the next pads. In the long pin placements you have to walk back up the fairway 50-80 ft to find the cut over paths.
The baskets need numbers. You can buy black ones from THD or Lowes for like $3. I might just number them for the club myself. (I GOT INNOVA TO DONATE NUMBERS, SO THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED. THANKS TO INNOVA)
I don't mind the old fallen trees or rocks in the fairways. Really old dead trees can add to the beauty. It would be nice if the dead fall was taken and thrown off the fairways...(should be done as players play).
I picked up some trash but found few trash cans. A few more could be added right along where the course borders the park road.
Next hole signs could be added. Most of the holes are long enough that you can throw either BH or FH and have a landing area. The real technique comes into play on second and third shots. Not sure if this is a con, but I can see how this can frustrate or bore some players.
If you throw an errant shot or get a bad skip, the course from the longs is so long that you probably will not be able to get par. I would rate this course a 5 with some better signage.
Other Thoughts: I read some of the reviews. I think that it is a shame that people might get scared away from this course because of some of the bad reviews. There are short locations for every hole if length bothers you. I did not find the course to be narrow. I can throw 200 feet straight almost every time so I didnt really feel stressed out. I have really played mostly on NC courses, and I was dissappointed with the North DE, South PA courses. This one made me want to move back and deal with the snow. Some DG'rs out there have a bad hole and let it carry through a round then write bad reviews. A bad score sometime is not the courses fault. I would pay just to walk the course if it was labeled a nature trail but you get to play DG on it too... Sorry this review lacks some specifics but I don't like doing hole by hole reviews.

Will mature into greatness one day......

2-4    11/5/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 11/12/2009
Pros: I'm glad I was forewarned of the length and percieved par of this course, as it helped put me get a proper frame of mind for tackling it's challenges. There were a few par 5's and many par 4's. Anybody who can't count above 3 needs to go back to school. Also, having a variety of pars makes it more fun and won't discourage those who think that these holes should play as all 3's. As for the course, I am thrilled! This is really a challenging and pretty course. It plays different than most, as many fairways are very narrow, and a few others don't seem like fairways at all (a reasonably open drive followed by thick trees that requires a lot of luck in addition to skill). Some light elevation changes on several holes adds to the variety. No water. Nice pro (gold) tee pads with great traction. The signs are excellent which show the footage and hole layout. There are multiple pin placements that (I hope) will all become permanent so that one has a choice to play a variety of layouts - 6 total with the 3 tee pads!!
Cons: I would recommend a map to get around as there are a few confusing points. There are a few "next tee" signs, but there could be more. I played in the fall with leaf litter and many paths were nearly invisible.

I am a little mixed emotionally about the gold to gold layout. I scored about 5 over the posted par my first time and much worse my second time. It is a quite difficult affair for an advanced player like me, but I know this is designed for pros. Keep this in mind. I plan on playing the shorter tees next time, and think it will be more fun. The main frustration is that you should be using fairway drivers or mid-ranges on most of the holes because the fairways are SO NARROW, you need to set up for good approaches, and if you stray from the fairways, you often have to chip out of the (mostly) thick rough, and will likely bogey.
What I'm trying to say is that when you're new to the course, the hardest thing to predict is the landing zones (on longer holes) that will set you up for the next shot, so you can tend to overshoot everything and end in trouble- making it a frustrating round. Compare this course to the WR Jackson course in GA, which has similar long holes, but much wider fairways.

Another suggestion - for variety , I thought there should be at least 2 or 3 holes from 250-300 that are aceable (from all tees). This is part of the game of golf that has always existed and a major part of the games fun factor. They don't have to be easy aces- but should be there.
Other Thoughts: I think that this course, having multiple pins could follow the wonderful idea that Tyler St. Park in PA has shown. They have a rotating dial below the hole map on the tee that rotates to indicate what the current pin placement is. It's much easier than walking down the fairway to investigate.

I have not played the blue tees yet, so can't say if this is suited for beginners, but I think this course is a great place to hone your skills and will only get better with time. Stay in the fairway with controlled shots, and you will find you will score better.

1    8/15/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: This course is long - over10,000 feet from the long tees to the long pins. Mostly wooded with narrow fairways, this course will offer a daunting challenge to any disc golfer. The multiple rubber/crushed stone/natural tees (3 for each hole but they weren't all installed as of the date I played) allow players to mix and match tees to the pin positions which certainly adds variation and a creative element. The rough was punishing for errant shots but not so thick so you'd lose a disc. The signs at each hole were good with regard to tees/pin positions but no sign ever built can possibly prepare one for the reality of this course. It's quite demanding and not for the casual player -at least not right now 'cuz the course is being broken in. I was pleasantly surprised with the condition however. It certainly looks like this course has been given some thought as to the layout & all the hard work shows. It's both humbling and enlightening.

It's easy to find (a few miles off I-95) & large with many amenities. Appears the course has minimal incursion by non-disc golfers (only one remote possibility the entire round). The vision of this course is obvious in the design. It's just not there yet which reduces its rating.
Cons: It's hard to criticize a course that kicked your ass (unless you're bitter about it).

Again, these heavily wooded east coast course are what they are, mostly wooded without much water (or any in this case but I could see where it would be possible if it had rained recently) and lacking open holes. Some may view this as repetitive and it's certainly a valid claim for this course. There was elevation but don't expect anything epic. I guess navigation could be an issue but only mildly. Course isn't 'finished' and needs some breaking in. All the more reason to visit and help break it in!
Other Thoughts: I was greeted at the practice pin by some area players who graciously invited me to play the round with them (I readily accepted). I basically got a tour of Iron Hill by players who, even though the course is relatively new, are intimately familiar. They played a custom setup of the course which I was told averaged out to be a par 4 for each hole…and it was still crazy hard. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and greatly appreciate the courtesy extended by the local players. I just wish the course was closer to where I live.

If you're driving on I-95 through the area and haven't played this course, I highly recommend you take the 2+ hours out of your schedule and play this course….oh, and write a review also.

Four discs!

If you like a challange then you will love this course!

2-4    7/6/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 5/2/2014
Pros: Two large concrete tees with signs, and 2 baskets per hole. Markers by baskets to next tee. Course flows nicely and figure 8s the two 9 hole halves to the parking lot. This is a long par 72 10,000'+ long course... Whew! Most holes are either up or down 40 ft of elevation and through heavy woods with avg distance of almost 600' per hole. There are clear fairways, they are tight and you will be punished if you veer off it. There is very little underbrush so I did not have trouble finding discs off the fairway which is always a good thing on a course this heavily wooded. Didn't notice any poison ivy and bugs were not much a problem. Port-a-potties, water fountain by parking lot. Easy to get to and only 2 miles off I-95 with UDel just down the street there is plenty to do or eat around. Map in parking lot.
Cons: **Warning** the gold course is meant to challenge the best of the best. The Silver is also pretty tough and may not be suitable for beginners.

Parts of the course was a bit muddy though and it hasn't rained in awhile, so I'm not sure if it gets bad after a storm, but there are interesting steps and bridges to get through in any case. Found a deer tick on me on the way home.
Other Thoughts: Iron Hill is the only true par 72 disc golf course that I know of, and sets the standard of future championship level play. You must have every shot in the bag to score well here. You will be tested on accuracy with distance. There were many times I wanted to throw a roller, but its discouraged because of the huge rocks and trees/roller dams laying across the fairway, so it really challenges your low ceiling air shots in particular and your recovery shots. If you like to challenge yourself physically and mentally against the best then this is an absolute must play! If you like to just grip and rip in the open, this course will the bane of your existence. I can't wait to come back and get redemption.

Fenced in playground, dog park and dogs allowed, good mountain biking.