Newark, DE
Iron Hill Share
Uploaded By: De Hermit Hole #18 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 250ft.   4 / 540ft.   3 / 350ft.   4 / 640ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Gold Tee

Kick Ass

2-4    4/10/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: DWill
Pros: Multi tees and dual baskets on the majority of the holes. Well defined fairways, though some are very tight. Plenty of next tee signs and course navigation isn't too difficult, even if one doesn't have a map. Tee signs at each hole's gold tee. Tee sign gives plenty of information, such as basket locations as well as alternate tee pads. Gold tees are very nice, big and flat concrete. Most of the alternate tee pads were nice as well, however, they are crush stone.

Trash cans and benches throughout the course. Nice use of elevation to increase the challenge and/or beautify the course. Good mix of left and right turning holes. Because it is so wooded, plenty of shade for the summer heat. Good mix of par 3, 4 and 5.

Very convenient to I-95, just a few minutes off the highway. The free park entrance for us out of staters is a big plus :-). Porta Johns on site. Tot lot for the younger family members.
Cons: Shade prevents the course from drying out, and can be swampy in some parts. Rugged and long terrain might be too much for the young ones. Tight lanes make a lot of ricochets off of trees. This puts you off the fairway and can increase the possibility of losing a disc.

A few of the holes seemed too similar, long and tight. Hard to locate some of the alternate tees, not sure if I couldn't find them or they were not installed yet.
Other Thoughts: Northern Delaware is becoming a hot bed for champion level courses, with Carousel Park around the corner and the already existing courses in the area. Even in the shortest configuration, this isn't really a beginner level course. The course reminded my a lot of the South central courses of Pennsylvania, then the other Northern Delaware.

Some memorable holes, lots of challenge we want you coming back for more, even if it kicks your butt.

Very Challenging

1    3/24/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: NurseRandy
Pros: This course is very well maintained and very well marked. It has concrete tees (for the pro/gold tees, some other tees are not done or not there on some holes, see below) and new baskets. It is well designed in a loose figure 8 with holes 1 10 and 18 all near the parking lot/portapoties. Some benches and trashcans throughout.
Cons: Not finished yet. Missing or incomplete tees on some holes, misssing alt/silver basket on some holes.
Other Thoughts: I did not find this course to be very fun. It consists almost exclusively of long tight wooded lanes. This is a great place to improve your game, but not a good course for a day out with the crew. Getting through this course felt like a real workout.

Challenging Fun

1    1/18/2010   1/25/2010
Review By: JACKAROO
Pros: The only reason I don't give this course 5 discs is it's just not done yet. Very beautiful and challenging. The fairways are long and tight but mostly open and defined. Just enough elevation change with hills and large rocks to make it very fun.
Cons: Not all the tees and baskets are in. Once the "shorter baskets" are in this course will be fun for all skill levels.

Awesome challenge

2-4    9/10/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: cefire
Pros: Great design, room for expansion, good tees, extremely challenging but fair at the same time - love it
Cons: A few of the fairways in the back are a bit difficult to navigate unless you've played them before. No other cons that I can think of - this place rocks!

Awesome Monster

1    9/8/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 11/14/2009
Pros: This is absolutly the prettiest and best course that I have played. Check the reviews for some of the Charlotte NC courses where I normally play. This beats them all. The designers seem to have had a compulsion to make an even amount of straight, L, R turning up, down and flat holes. All holes had very clear and fair pathways. Many holes have multiple lines that allow for RH and LH shots. The length of the course is not a problem. Most players can throw over 200 ft. Multiple 180-220 ft shots get you to a average upshot and/or easy putt for par. Par was set very fair. I feel like there is a large variety of hole types. I can't imagine a DG course prettier in the front 9. (and my home course is Brackett's Bluff in Davidson NC ((check reviews there)) Beautiful woodlined fairways wtih almost manicured mowed grass. Tee signs were some of the best that I have seen. Loved the end of 17. I really dislike courses that are made short then shoe horned into being longer with odd tee and basket placements. This was made long and short locations added making the flow of the course awesome. Most of the woods are huge old trees with little to no prickers. Any errant shot is easily thrown back into the fairway or even advanced up the fairway. If you play smart here and can putt you will shoot near par at the long locations par of 71.
Cons: I have to be really picky to point out some cons. After building a few courses myself, I know how hard it can be to complete all the details. Especially when players like to destroy them.
I was confused getting from the long baskets to 5-6 of the next pads. In the long pin placements you have to walk back up the fairway 50-80 ft to find the cut over paths.
The baskets need numbers. You can buy black ones from THD or Lowes for like $3. I might just number them for the club myself. (I GOT INNOVA TO DONATE NUMBERS, SO THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED. THANKS TO INNOVA)
I don't mind the old fallen trees or rocks in the fairways. Really old dead trees can add to the beauty. It would be nice if the dead fall was taken and thrown off the fairways...(should be done as players play).
I picked up some trash but found few trash cans. A few more could be added right along where the course borders the park road.
Next hole signs could be added. Most of the holes are long enough that you can throw either BH or FH and have a landing area. The real technique comes into play on second and third shots. Not sure if this is a con, but I can see how this can frustrate or bore some players.
If you throw an errant shot or get a bad skip, the course from the longs is so long that you probably will not be able to get par. I would rate this course a 5 with some better signage.
Other Thoughts: I read some of the reviews. I think that it is a shame that people might get scared away from this course because of some of the bad reviews. There are short locations for every hole if length bothers you. I did not find the course to be narrow. I can throw 200 feet straight almost every time so I didnt really feel stressed out. I have really played mostly on NC courses, and I was dissappointed with the North DE, South PA courses. This one made me want to move back and deal with the snow. Some DG'rs out there have a bad hole and let it carry through a round then write bad reviews. A bad score sometime is not the courses fault. I would pay just to walk the course if it was labeled a nature trail but you get to play DG on it too... Sorry this review lacks some specifics but I don't like doing hole by hole reviews.

Will mature into greatness one day......

2-4    11/5/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 11/12/2009
Pros: I'm glad I was forewarned of the length and percieved par of this course, as it helped put me get a proper frame of mind for tackling it's challenges. There were a few par 5's and many par 4's. Anybody who can't count above 3 needs to go back to school. Also, having a variety of pars makes it more fun and won't discourage those who think that these holes should play as all 3's. As for the course, I am thrilled! This is really a challenging and pretty course. It plays different than most, as many fairways are very narrow, and a few others don't seem like fairways at all (a reasonably open drive followed by thick trees that requires a lot of luck in addition to skill). Some light elevation changes on several holes adds to the variety. No water. Nice pro (gold) tee pads with great traction. The signs are excellent which show the footage and hole layout. There are multiple pin placements that (I hope) will all become permanent so that one has a choice to play a variety of layouts - 6 total with the 3 tee pads!!
Cons: I would recommend a map to get around as there are a few confusing points. There are a few "next tee" signs, but there could be more. I played in the fall with leaf litter and many paths were nearly invisible.

I am a little mixed emotionally about the gold to gold layout. I scored about 5 over the posted par my first time and much worse my second time. It is a quite difficult affair for an advanced player like me, but I know this is designed for pros. Keep this in mind. I plan on playing the shorter tees next time, and think it will be more fun. The main frustration is that you should be using fairway drivers or mid-ranges on most of the holes because the fairways are SO NARROW, you need to set up for good approaches, and if you stray from the fairways, you often have to chip out of the (mostly) thick rough, and will likely bogey.
What I'm trying to say is that when you're new to the course, the hardest thing to predict is the landing zones (on longer holes) that will set you up for the next shot, so you can tend to overshoot everything and end in trouble- making it a frustrating round. Compare this course to the WR Jackson course in GA, which has similar long holes, but much wider fairways.

Another suggestion - for variety , I thought there should be at least 2 or 3 holes from 250-300 that are aceable (from all tees). This is part of the game of golf that has always existed and a major part of the games fun factor. They don't have to be easy aces- but should be there.
Other Thoughts: I think that this course, having multiple pins could follow the wonderful idea that Tyler St. Park in PA has shown. They have a rotating dial below the hole map on the tee that rotates to indicate what the current pin placement is. It's much easier than walking down the fairway to investigate.

I have not played the blue tees yet, so can't say if this is suited for beginners, but I think this course is a great place to hone your skills and will only get better with time. Stay in the fairway with controlled shots, and you will find you will score better.

1    8/15/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: This course is long - over10,000 feet from the long tees to the long pins. Mostly wooded with narrow fairways, this course will offer a daunting challenge to any disc golfer. The multiple rubber/crushed stone/natural tees (3 for each hole but they weren't all installed as of the date I played) allow players to mix and match tees to the pin positions which certainly adds variation and a creative element. The rough was punishing for errant shots but not so thick so you'd lose a disc. The signs at each hole were good with regard to tees/pin positions but no sign ever built can possibly prepare one for the reality of this course. It's quite demanding and not for the casual player -at least not right now 'cuz the course is being broken in. I was pleasantly surprised with the condition however. It certainly looks like this course has been given some thought as to the layout & all the hard work shows. It's both humbling and enlightening.

It's easy to find (a few miles off I-95) & large with many amenities. Appears the course has minimal incursion by non-disc golfers (only one remote possibility the entire round). The vision of this course is obvious in the design. It's just not there yet which reduces its rating.
Cons: It's hard to criticize a course that kicked your ass (unless you're bitter about it).

Again, these heavily wooded east coast course are what they are, mostly wooded without much water (or any in this case but I could see where it would be possible if it had rained recently) and lacking open holes. Some may view this as repetitive and it's certainly a valid claim for this course. There was elevation but don't expect anything epic. I guess navigation could be an issue but only mildly. Course isn't 'finished' and needs some breaking in. All the more reason to visit and help break it in!
Other Thoughts: I was greeted at the practice pin by some area players who graciously invited me to play the round with them (I readily accepted). I basically got a tour of Iron Hill by players who, even though the course is relatively new, are intimately familiar. They played a custom setup of the course which I was told averaged out to be a par 4 for each hole…and it was still crazy hard. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and greatly appreciate the courtesy extended by the local players. I just wish the course was closer to where I live.

If you're driving on I-95 through the area and haven't played this course, I highly recommend you take the 2+ hours out of your schedule and play this course….oh, and write a review also.

Four discs!

If you like a challange then you will love this course!

2-4    7/6/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 5/2/2014
Pros: Two large concrete tees with signs, and 2 baskets per hole. Markers by baskets to next tee. Course flows nicely and figure 8s the two 9 hole halves to the parking lot. This is a long par 72 10,000'+ long course... Whew! Most holes are either up or down 40 ft of elevation and through heavy woods with avg distance of almost 600' per hole. There are clear fairways, they are tight and you will be punished if you veer off it. There is very little underbrush so I did not have trouble finding discs off the fairway which is always a good thing on a course this heavily wooded. Didn't notice any poison ivy and bugs were not much a problem. Port-a-potties, water fountain by parking lot. Easy to get to and only 2 miles off I-95 with UDel just down the street there is plenty to do or eat around. Map in parking lot.
Cons: **Warning** the gold course is meant to challenge the best of the best. The Silver is also pretty tough and may not be suitable for beginners.

Parts of the course was a bit muddy though and it hasn't rained in awhile, so I'm not sure if it gets bad after a storm, but there are interesting steps and bridges to get through in any case. Found a deer tick on me on the way home.
Other Thoughts: Iron Hill is the only true par 72 disc golf course that I know of, and sets the standard of future championship level play. You must have every shot in the bag to score well here. You will be tested on accuracy with distance. There were many times I wanted to throw a roller, but its discouraged because of the huge rocks and trees/roller dams laying across the fairway, so it really challenges your low ceiling air shots in particular and your recovery shots. If you like to challenge yourself physically and mentally against the best then this is an absolute must play! If you like to just grip and rip in the open, this course will the bane of your existence. I can't wait to come back and get redemption.

Fenced in playground, dog park and dogs allowed, good mountain biking.

Epic battle

1    7/4/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: dancordle5360
Pros: Multiple tees and basket locations make this course very playable for all skill levels. Extreme challenge Gold to Long. This is a very nice park setting with many other things to do. Perfect concrete tees.
Cons: This course should have a Bethpage Black sign "Extreme Golf, only for professional disc golfers". Way too many good drives that land in the "fairway" are directly behind trees with no chance at reaching green for a birdie. Very narrow dirving lanes. All holes seem the same.
Other Thoughts: This course will make you a better disc golfer on any other course......you have to see it to believe it.

Iron Hill is here.

5+    1/5/2010   7/1/2009
Review By: Tolbert
This review was updated on 5/19/2013
Pros: A little over a year old and fresh off its first PDGA tournament Iron Hilll is really coming into its own. The course winds up, down and around the hill through dense woods on all but 2 or 3 holes. (compared to the rest of the course #6 is kinda open) On most holes the foliage is dense and when playing from the gold tees for an Am like me the name of the game is 'Stay On the Fairway.' Rounds here I've done this I felt I scored well. As a result, playing here has greatly improved my game on less difficult courses (which is every course I've played to date save Paw Paw)

Iron Hill has BIG distance, long to long is over 10,000 feet! Even the most seasoned pros are sure to find challenge here. Signature hole 17 is 860 ft uphill through the woods to a basket on a mound way above your head. Its like the mound's whole existence was waiting for a basket to be placed on top. To sweeten the hole, a stone staircase was build on the steep hillside to the basket and is one of the most beautiful man made things I've seen on a course. I love that a course this big was put in less than 10 mins from me.

If distance isn't your game Iron hill has 2 and sometimes 3 tees per hole, put in for players of all skill levels. Not all tees are completed yet, but they are marked and the gold tee signage shows where they are. The white tees certainly take the teeth and the distance out of the course and provide a challenging yet not overwhelming round for Am and Rec players. Some Am friends of mine who played the long tees to long pins first time here swore they weren't coming back, but after a round from the whites (which provide several 2 opportunities for players who drive 300ish feet) they love it. The Gold tees are the largest concrete pads I've ever thrown from and the shorts will eventually all be nice rubber fly pads.

Almost all holes have short and long pin placements, for added variety and challenge. Hole 4 is one of the best differences, short pin is one the edge of the field you throw across (yes there are 2 field holes here) and the deep pin is through a 100 ft tunnel starting at the field and ending at a pin with OB behind it. A few pin placements are right in the middle of awesome rock formations. In the future there will be 2 permanent baskets at each hole, further increasing your playing options at Iron Hill.

Tee signs have recently been installed at each gold tee, giving tee locations, pin placement distances and even elevation changes. Some of the nicest I've ever seen. Paths from basket to next tee are becoming much more clear/trampled and are lined with logs on both sides.

Another interesting and somewhat unique trait is the terrain. Rocky on most holes and on some fairways you will find shallow dips and trenches. The result is even a fairway drive could end up giving you questionable footing for your 2nd (or 3rd) shot. Maybe not a pro, but an interesting feature. Come with sturdy foot gear.

Fairway paths and directions have a nice variety and good mix of up and down hills. Course is laid out in true par 4s and 5s were if you get a birdie on them you earned it. Some holes just making par feels like a win. I wish more courses would adopt this system.

Other pros- trash cans and benches available on many holes. Port a johns on site as well as pavilions and grills. Oh, and for those that complain- Iron Hill is one of the few Delaware courses that you don't have to pay the park to play!

***UPDATE*** Several holes now have 2 permanent pins! (Gold and Silver) More are on the way. Most short tees now have either flypads or packed stone dust, awaiting flypads. The options now are plentiful and Iron Hill is now much more beginner friendly and has layouts for golfers of any skill level. Fairways are being constantly improved, the volunteers at Iron Hill are awesome. Look for this course to be nearing its full potential in summer 2010.
Cons: My only real con is playing through dense woods for 16 of 18 holes can feel redundant. (Especially if I'm having a bad round/difficulty staying on the fairway.) I just like a bit more variety. Players who don't like or aren't ready for long holes will be turned off by the long tees, but now that the short tees are in Iron Hill should be fun for everyone. That said, heck if long to long isn't one the hardest rounds out there. Someday I'll finish at par.
Other Thoughts: Iron Hill provides a challenge for all skill levels. Not only will you need a variety of shots and great accuracy, but a tough mental game as well. This is where over the past year I've really learned to play for the fairway or the layup for my next shot instead of going for the basket everytime. I also really learned here when to swallow my pride and throw a putter back onto the middle of the fairway instead of going for it. This has helped my play in several tournaments at other courses. I've learned some smart golf.

Along with providing another place to play in the area the course at Iron Hill and the constant presence of players (along with a few other park additions, bark park, etc.) has helped deter some 'riff raff' that was making a home here.

Iron Hill has come a long way since it opened last year. For those that played it and had problems with the navigation and signage, come check out the excellent tee signs put in and bring the map provided on this site and the Delaware Disc Golf site. For those players that were way to turned off by the distance and difficulty, come out and give the short tees a try. DDG volunteers have put a lot of hours in here and the course is going to be a great tournament destination on the east coast.