Good Starter Course
Pros: Short course great for beginners
Wide open, good for practicing different shots
Cons: Dirt Pads
Some holes are too short
Sign missing on one whole
Other Thoughts: New trees added in attempt to increase difficulty in the future
Plain and Simple
- Great course for learning the game or for trying out new discs.
- All the holes are fairly short with resonable 3's on each one (with the exception of hole 4 which is a tad longer).
- Some of the baskets are in the middle of 4 or 5 trees, so it's not just a straight easy shot to them.
- Hole 6 doesn't have a sign, which is fine for those who have played the course before, but for those who haven't, the tee pad could be confused for a different hole, especially since you have to walk down the hill from basket 5 to get to it.
- This course is right next to Westview elementary school, so you have to be careful when school is in session.
- My biggest con for this course is that there aren't concrete tee pads. The dirt is getting pretty warn where you tee off now, so just a little rain and it turns them into mini mud pits.
- This could go for either a pro or a con depending on your views of the course. But there are not a lot of elevation changes (the ones that are there are all very minor), so if you have a sweet disc that sails well off of hills, you don't get much use for it in that way.
- For a nice way to finish the game and add a hole #10, throw from outside the fence on the corner of the tennis courts by basket 9 all the way down to the basket on hole 4. This makes for a great end of the game shot!
- I definitely would choose this course over the campus course any day!
Good Warm up Course for Campus Course
Pros: The layout, although only a 9 hole course, is very nice and they do a good job of providing a mix of different holes. The dirt tee pads could use an upgrade to cement, but they are actually very level and pretty decent in dry conditions. You gotta love the short shot you have at an Ace on hole #3!
Cons: The only con to this course is that its tough to tell what hole to shoot for if it is your first time playing. They do have nice signs on most holes that direct you where to go, however, you can see multiple baskets from most tee pads so you may need to do some exploring your first time playing.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. I almost prefer it to the Campus Course.
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Platteville's other course!
Pros: 1) Tee signs are very well done, on 4x4 posts and include distance, par, and a general layout. Hole #1 has a "Rules of Disc Golf Sign" also.
2) Mach baskets with number plates and the plates face the tee which is key. Many times these baskets get placed where you can't read the number. On a course like this where you can see 3 or 4 baskets from each tee it would be tough to figure outl.
3) Grass tees are wore out to dirt, but the dirt is level and nice and firm to plant on. When wet this would be a negative.
4) Practice basket available before the first tee. In a small town like this that is a really cool thing to have so you dont have to be out on the course in peoples way just to practice.
5) Picnic table by the building by 9 green and also a picnic table covered by a wood pavilion close to the practice basket. Garbage is aailable at the picnic area as well as the middle of the course by #3 basket.
6) Nice use of the elevation in the park as well as the trees that are available to create as much challenge as possible. #4 is a really tough driving hole and I was so close to making birdie ont hat hole! with a very well executed drive.
7) Portopotty available by #7 tee near the tennis courts.
8) Beginner friendly course because it is mostly open, mowed from wall to wall, and holes that do not have too much length. As much as I like more challenge, I appreciate a well designed course for all levels. In the middle of nowhere (Platteville) this is a well design beginner friendly course that still can present some challenge to intermediate level players. If you want a lot of challenge go to UWP!!!
Cons: 1) A little dangerous considering this is a family park in a couple places. #3 basket brings #6 tee into play on an errant drive. #7 tee throws directly over #6 basket which is always a bad idea. In a park like this it isn't a huge deal because it likely is never packed full of disc golfers.
2) One of the signs had an ace written on it. All other aces were written on the 4x4 post so hopefully it is an isolated incident.
3) Grass tees were wore down to dirt. The dirt was packed which was good because it was dry, but if it were wet that would be a big negative. I would simply throw off to the side if it was wet.
4) Most holes are best suited to hyzers. I would like a little more variety in shot shaping. It does have a couple different players on a couple holes, but I really enjoy using every shot in my bag.
Other Thoughts: This is a fairly open, completely mowed, well maintained park with a smattering of trees with basket placed to create as much challenge as possible on this property. It is well designed, and if I read it right this was designed by Terry Miller of Lifetime Disc Sports. He does a good job on every property he is commisioned to do a design. He uses the property to its fullest capabilities.
It is a well designed beginner friendly course and thats about all that needs to be said. Based on skill level I wouldn't rate this a 3, but based on the design and use of the property I would rate it even higher so I averaged the rating to a 3 overall. Not worth a trip out of the way for people looking for challenging courses only, but definitely worth a stop if you are as hardcore as I am. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Good for nood's
Pros: In a very nice little park good sign's good basket's and good for begginer's and kid's alike. Tennis court's also
Cons: Just 9 hole's dosent pose eney reel challenging to a good player no wood's or other obsticle's most hole are short and easy.
Other Thoughts: Its a good coures for learning the game or to take your family. All in all its a fun little coures and worth checking out once.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.