Berkeley, CA
Aquatic Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #8 (Taken 9/2011)

getting better

5+    9/28/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: chain-saw
Pros: Its true! 19 Brand spanking new Mach X baskets have been installed on this course (one for the practice basket, which is still in the middle of One's fairway). The new baskets are way easier to see and are way better at catching discs than the old ones. The guys have done some landscaping too to tidy up parts of the course.
Cons: All the same cons as before really, my major concern being that the are soooo many pedestrians and bikers going through the course it makes it very frustrating. If you don't like wind or water hazards, don't play here because there is a lot of both. The layout is still very confusing it you haven't played before with teepads spraypainted on the ground on some holes, old teepads to nowhere, and no signs anywhere.
Other Thoughts: The new baskets bumped this course up a whole star in my book. They are much easier to see and there are a full 18 holes! Actually 19 because they left the old basket across the water after hole 9 so one can play across since 10's teepad is right there anyways. I would not play this course first time without someone who's played before, you will have a really hard time even with the map. I actually like all the water and wind because of the challenge it presents but I always bring discs I wouldn't mind as much if I lost. The pedestrians are the worst part in my opinion about this course. If this area were solely devoted to disc golf, it would jump up another full star to 4 in my book. Hopefully the new baskets will bring more golfers through and make a more present disc golf community in the park.

Challenging course, challenging environs

5+    5/15/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: mdegs
This review was updated on 10/20/2014
Pros: Considering the layout of the park, they've done what they can. Most holes have multiple pin positions; lots of concrete tee pads. (A few are just a line on the paved path.)

New Mach X baskets! A lot of boggy areas have been trimmed and mulched. They are installing a kiosk w/ course map by the first tee. The city wants to help out and it's paying off!
Cons: As others have mentioned this is a popular park for ... well, anyone. Walkers, cyclists, trouble-makers. Difficult to navigate for first-timers.
Other Thoughts: I basically learned to play disc golf here, and the course's hazards have improved my game. Find the locals during the weekly (Weds p.m. during DST; Sat a.m. during winter) to best navigate the course. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Head over to the East Bay Disc Golf Club on Facebook for further details.

5+    8/17/2011   8/19/2011
Review By: masterlurk
Pros: - good views
- good layout with
Cons: -water all over
- lots of joggers walkers bikers and dogs
-super windy in the afternoon
-lots of tress that eat up discs
Other Thoughts: like everyone else said. the water is treterous and you dont wanna go in it. I cut my feet up real bad retrieving a disc. def. not a beginner course. head to san leandro for that. bring discs you dont care about.

berkeley aqautic park

1    5/10/2008   8/17/2011
Review By: giantsfan4life1
Pros: - 18 holes
- cement tee boxes
- all tee signs were there
- good views
- good layout with water all over
Cons: - lots of traffic
- lots of joggers walkers bikers and dogs
- plays mostly benificial to rt hand throwers
Other Thoughts: Great course to play. There are a lot of people walking through the course but its fun to play. If you are a rt hand backhand thrower the first half plays to your advantage due to the water being on your right. I love the over the water shots. Water is nasty stay out tons on bird crap in it.

Don't get wet!

5+    12/4/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: chonb
Pros: Multiple pin locations, challenging mentally to deal with all of the water, and free is always good. Because the course is extremely tight, and not that long, it's a great course to hone your skills. Many holes are reachable in one long shot [not that I can, but I've seen it done during weeklys]. But make sure you have a great feel for any disc you try to throw long to avoid the skank water to the west, and the wretched polluted runoff to the east of every hole.
Cons: Not a dedicated disc golf course! You will often wait for joggers / dog walkers / etc when playing during recreating hours.

Water down the entire front 9. On most holes it *shouldn't* come into play when using RHBH, but tell that to the many discs I've tossed in the drink
Other Thoughts: There are often guys who've swum the shoreline and picked up discs. If you're ever in Berkeley and want quality stuff for <5$, hit up Aquatic Park.

Eh

5+    8/17/2008   7/1/2009
Review By: Mergz
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: As a course, it makes players use a variety of throws. Nice setting on the water.
Cons: 1. Gets congested with pedestrians, bicyclists, BBQers and people just hanging out on the grass. Once, a man saw me ready to throw, then laid his blanket down right in front of 18 basket, looked at me again, swithced on his radio, and sat down.
2. Sketchy, creepy guys use this park as a d/lo hook-up spot.
4.Disc swallowing water.
Other Thoughts: With so many other courses in the Bay Area, there's no need to frequent this one. The local golfers are really friendly though. Don't go alone (see "Cons").

B by the Bay

1    9/18/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Good local course

5+    2/10/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Berkeley has a fun local course that is both challenging and relaxing. Relatively easy to follow the course. A bit technical for a shorter course. Beautiful view of SF and Golden Gate Bridge. Rarely ever crowded with players.
Cons: Non-golfer traffic is high, but most know your there and get out of the way. Windy days make this a very difficult course. A few good water hazards can force you to use, and lose, older discs. I've lost my share in the drink.
Other Thoughts: Good course on a nice day. Pros out weigh the cons.

Disc thief course

5+    4/4/2006   11/4/2008
Review By: Starwraith169
Pros: Challenges you with the wind, lots of water shots, great Chief spots in the bushes, well maintained
Cons: Lots of foot traffic from walkers and bikers, so long delays waiting for people to get out of the way, really skinny course so lots of running into other groups playing the back nine, local gay hookup spot, so watch your ass when you go into the bushes. I have walked in on something I wish I wouldnt have seen before, Also, the wind can take your disk and and the trees are very thick, so you lose a lot of discs
Other Thoughts: If you lose your discs, you can always buy a cheap one on 18 from people that snatch them from the water for cheap.