Berkeley, CA
Aquatic Park Share
Uploaded By: pobelly   (Taken 10/2011)

Mixed Feelings.

1    1/13/2010   1/14/2010
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Interesting hole design that uses the numerous obstacles available in the narrow park.
The holes over water and with pin positions by the water were challenging and entertaining.
They were able to squeeze 18 holes into this park.
Teepads were adequate for the course.
Good mix of tight holes with a few more open drives.
Multiple pin locations.
Many holes really force you to be able to shape a certain shot, offering a good test of your accuracy.
Cons: No Signage whatsoever on the course. Not even any indicator of the course near hole 1. What's even more sad is that most of the holes had old empty sign boxes that might have been useful.
Baskets show signs of wear and are stiff.
The amount of non-disc golfer traffic is frustrating, the land isn't really the ideal place for a disc golf course.
Areas of the course feel like the holes are packed in too tight.
Some of the back nine holes feel simple and lack the bravado of the water holes.
Other Thoughts: Aquatic park was a very interesting course to play but a very difficult course to rate and review. To be honest the course has a lot going it against it that isn't totally within its control. The course is very busy with people and there isn't any other place in the park to place a course. To some degree it's impressive that 18 holes have managed to fit into the park and survive for 30 years. There is also a mild crime influence in the park. I would have actually been inclined to give the course a 2 simply because of the complete lack of any signage but the course is fairly self explanatory and the baskets are numbered so it's easy to keep track as you make your way around the course.
But against these negatives what makes the course for me is the presence of some really fun and challenging disc golf holes. The over water holes were tricky requiring you to really fly out over the water and land on a fairly small green in the hopes of nabbing a 2. Many of the tough hole positions on the course make up for lacks in distance in certain places. Judging the course on the hole I'd recommend playing it if you live in the bay area but if you're just stopping through you'd probably be better off heading to Golden Gate Park or taking the 40 minute drive north to play Stafford Lake.

Don't get wet!

5+    12/4/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: chonb
Pros: Multiple pin locations, challenging mentally to deal with all of the water, and free is always good. Because the course is extremely tight, and not that long, it's a great course to hone your skills. Many holes are reachable in one long shot [not that I can, but I've seen it done during weeklys]. But make sure you have a great feel for any disc you try to throw long to avoid the skank water to the west, and the wretched polluted runoff to the east of every hole.
Cons: Not a dedicated disc golf course! You will often wait for joggers / dog walkers / etc when playing during recreating hours.

Water down the entire front 9. On most holes it *shouldn't* come into play when using RHBH, but tell that to the many discs I've tossed in the drink
Other Thoughts: There are often guys who've swum the shoreline and picked up discs. If you're ever in Berkeley and want quality stuff for <5$, hit up Aquatic Park.

Bring your stable stuff!

2-4    10/16/2008   11/16/2009
Review By: Dirt4dinner
Pros: Super cool spot on the water, loads of challenging shots with punishing consequences for errants turn overs. The local golfers are very friendly and have a good turnout for doubles.
Cons: This isn't for the total newb, which isn't a bad thing I suppose! It's tough, but it's a cool course for sure!
Other Thoughts: I will be back as many times as I am in the area. This course was a real treat!

Not worth it

1    7/24/2009   7/25/2009
Review By: BigA31640
Pros: The only pro I can think of is the 3 disc golfers I ran into were friendly and helpful in locating a few of the tee pads
Cons: Where do I start. There is absolutely no signage at this course. Some of the tee pads are broken apart and some have large weeds encroaching on them. The park is so narrow, 100-200 feet at its widest, that baskets are put on top of each other and fairways cross each other. Couldn't find tee pads for 16 and 17. The course does not appear to be maintained by anyone.

This is a multi use park. Plenty of walkers and bikers using the path required extra wait time. People sit down within feet of the baskets requiring you to skip the hole or coax them to move.
Other Thoughts: I played in the afternoon and the breeze was a steady 10-20mph.

Friends that I'm staying with in Oakland did confirm that this is a notorious gay hook up park. That was confirmed by the sketchy characters that we saw leaving the park, ducking into the shule, and lurking in the parking lot.

If you absolutely have to play some disc golf I would recomend visiting one of the other parks in the area. I won't play this course again.

Bizerkley

2-4    6/5/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: Huk Finn
Pros: The course itself and the different shots are pretty cool. Cool bay breeze. Very green.
Cons: People everywhere, horrible signing or directions to baskets. Some tee pads not marked. Kinda just pick what looks fun. Great chance of losing a disc or two. Some local hoodstars or girls with short hair and Birkenstocks may distract you.
Other Thoughts: the 3 Amigos are out there retrieving discs from the water and re-selling them 5 for $20.
This guy at my local course found there stash, recognized names on discs and snatched up like 15 of em. Brought em back and gave me my Champion Wraith back.
Damn it feels good to be a Chainster.

Eh

5+    8/17/2008   7/1/2009
Review By: Mergz
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: As a course, it makes players use a variety of throws. Nice setting on the water.
Cons: 1. Gets congested with pedestrians, bicyclists, BBQers and people just hanging out on the grass. Once, a man saw me ready to throw, then laid his blanket down right in front of 18 basket, looked at me again, swithced on his radio, and sat down.
2. Sketchy, creepy guys use this park as a d/lo hook-up spot.
4.Disc swallowing water.
Other Thoughts: With so many other courses in the Bay Area, there's no need to frequent this one. The local golfers are really friendly though. Don't go alone (see "Cons").

My home course

5+    4/24/2009   4/28/2009
Review By: Billym
This review was updated on 9/12/2009
Pros: A tight course that has a lot of water and wind in play. The shule is also tough.
The layout asks for accuracy and a mixed bag of shots not to mention confidence to throw across or out over water and get back to land. Plenty of trees. Concrete/blacktop tees. Interesting pin placements; behind big trees, on the shoreline too bad there are not more and they moved more often.
Really cool and friendly locals.
Cons: Not very long. Pins don't move very much. This course is in a park and you will NEED to wait for walkers, runners, cyclists etc.The signs are long gone so either walk through the course, get a map from the website or hook up with a local.
The trees can keep discs, the water is somewhat nasty do not throw anything you cannot lose without a quick shrug. Don't bother to swim or wade.
Yes the south end has a "cruising scene" and there is evidence of it; don't go too far right on #10, 11, 12 or you will be in creepsville.
Other Thoughts: This course gets over looked and many Bay Area players will not play it. I think they are missing out. AP is NOT forgiving, it is challenging and has a great local disc golfer scene. You will need left and right turning drives, confidence to throw over water and past some challenging trees. Bring extra discs. A really fun weekly league in Weds 5PM until October then it moves to Sat 11AM.
I may give it a slightly higher rating because I love AP.

B by the Bay

1    9/18/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Berkeley

2-4    3/7/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: good tee pads, forced throws over water and hazards, and 18 mach 3 baskets. this course will force you to play outside of your comfort zone, fighting the wind and the very tight layout of this course will prove to be a challenge for experienced players. several holes require a throw over water or offer a very small landing zone. course maps are provided in a box on the first tee pad and bathrooms/water fountain are located about 150' from the first pad.
Cons: wow this course was crowded with lots of non dg traffic. there was a birthday party going on 25' down in the middle of the #1 fairway. there were some layout issues due to the tight confines of the park. lots of panhandling going on but it's Berkeley, so it should be expected as there are lots of people doing this.
Other Thoughts: i played this course twice to make sure that i got it all. it is a very fun course that will play different form all the other courses i have played. something different equals, a pair of street urchins approach me ad ask if they can smoke something other than MJ and cigs with us and ask for my lighter. i concede and give them my lighter and tell them that we don't partake in that sort of fun time and try to send her on her way. after the two urchins smoked something that rhymes with back one of them returned my lighter and said thanks.

this place is tons of fun bet very different. i guess the best mindset to play this course with is that of anything can happen at anytime in Berkeley.

Good local course

5+    2/10/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Berkeley has a fun local course that is both challenging and relaxing. Relatively easy to follow the course. A bit technical for a shorter course. Beautiful view of SF and Golden Gate Bridge. Rarely ever crowded with players.
Cons: Non-golfer traffic is high, but most know your there and get out of the way. Windy days make this a very difficult course. A few good water hazards can force you to use, and lose, older discs. I've lost my share in the drink.
Other Thoughts: Good course on a nice day. Pros out weigh the cons.