Red Feather Lakes, CO
Beaver Meadows DGC Share
Uploaded By: srm_520 Hole #13 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #13 Tee: Basket on the road going left.

SHWEET!

1    8/29/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Great layout in semi-remote high country setting. Excellent pin placements on many holes that demand precise control and mastery of righty/lefty forehand and backhand shots. Hole 9, a downhill with the pin precariously close to the pond, is spectacular and thirsty and ranks up there as one of my all-time favorites. Creative layout maximizes ponds and rewards well placed finesse shots, especially on hole 18 where you can lay-up or go for the gold. Greaat setting, with food/drinks available. This is now my most favorite course in Colorado. Be sure to bring flippy plastic, as well as extras (I left two in the ponds).
Cons: A bit raw with some fairways that need some work, and some blind tee shots that almost demand spotters (particularly hole 7). The baskets can be hard to spot (painting the cages bright orange would be a great help!). Some of the tee pads were treacherous, with loose dirt and slopes that maximized slippage.
Other Thoughts: I love high country DG and I love trees. I can see why the Colorado State Championships will be held here in Sep 2009. I will definitely play this course whenever I visit the family in Ft. Collins (weather permitting, I am a So Cal guy).

Amazing!

6/26/2008   6/27/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: After walking the course with me, my daughter who has been to many of the courses I've played, said as a matter of fact, "That was the best disc golf course ever." She could be right. There is the typical up and back down the mountain, but not too much. You make two trips up a hill and back down again. Each time encountering tight wooded holes, hidden baskets, and big downhill bombs. When at the bottom there is a pond to contend with. This course has such well balanced variety that nothing feels like you have already done it before. There are a few shots that take guts even. After teeing off on number ten, I went to the restaurant had a soda and a plate of nachos and then went back and finished the round. Everything about it was awesome. I am a more complete person for having teed off over a pond and witness a trout jump under the flight path.
Cons: There was a hole in the back nine (either 14 or 15) that was very long and unforgiving. I hung a line out to the right and found myself climbing a cliff face, well, almost. Not really a "con" but I did end the round in a flop-sweat. The only real honest con is that the course is so far out into the sticks and that its costs five bucks to play. The trails from basket to tee box could use more grooming.
Other Thoughts: Red Feather Lakes, having a population of 525 (2000 census) might be the best disc golf town in Colorado between this new course and the also amazing Sundance Trail. I remember when ski resort town disc golf seemed really cool, dude ranch golf is just as fun. God bless summer time in the Rockies! Thanks DGadvocate for letting me know about this oasis.