Red Feather Lakes, CO

1 2 Next >
 not real fun

1    7/24/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: dosahl
Pros: THe setting is nice. It is a challenge. THere is variety in the length of the holes and some interesing pin placements. The people running the resort were friendly and nice. Holes 1 & 2 &10 & 18 were good play. The pin place ment for 8 makes for some good conversation
Cons: The course should be walked first as there are way too many blind baskets. I think over half of the baskets are not visable from the tee (which is fine if you know a direction). Most of the pins are surrounded by trees. While trees on a course are usually a good thing, they are a hinderance here for many. The folliage is way too thick in many spots and needs to be thinned to make hole challenging and not impossible. Too many holes followed the road. You play down the road and the basket is just off the road to the right or left. It is odd to make the road also the fairway.
Other Thoughts: We came to Beaver meadows expecting greatness. I did not see what other reviewers saw as near perfection. Make sure to check in as the course has changed since the map posted here at DGcourse review. The updated map is spot on. Be prepared to open and close many horse gates assome of the holes are in the horse pasture.

Massive Elevation and Challenge to Humble Even the Best Players

1    6/26/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: Pro for experienced players: Beavers Meadows is the most mentally and technically difficult course I have ever played. It forces you to create shots you didn't think you had and throw lines you never thought you could make. By the end I was hoping someone was going to greet me with a shirt that said, "I survived Beaver Meadows." 12 of 18 tee shots are blind either down some tight alley or over some massive elevation, which as a first timer to the course, I spent as much time searching for discs and re-teeing drives as I did playing the course. Bottom line - there is a huge amount of risk/reward, skill, and luck involved to shooting low numbers on this course.

Beaver Creek also has money hole - nothing serious, just a little 100-120' straight hole after you finish your round. If you manage to make your shot, the beer is on them, so it can make up for the $5 fee for all day play.

I also need to mention the people running the course. Dave, who ran the shop, went over anything we possibly needed and made sure we received complimentary disc markers for playing the course. The general manager of the facility practically met us at our car to go over everything and make sure we felt at home and ready to play. He also noted that they are currently planning to resurface the tee boxes to make sure they are flat and work on the course because they want a championship caliber course. Finally, the facilities and restaurant were wonderful with good eats and great microbrews to relax you after a round or even just the front nine.

BEST HOLE/S: #8; #17
Cons: Con for beginners: This course is not for the faint of heart. You will be challenged at every single hole, which can become very frustrating to say the least. The friend I played with was a little rusty, and he did mention a few times that even though it was an amazing experience - it did border on not being fun at times.

In addition, my friend was also pretty accurate when he said that Beaver Meadows hasn't met a tree they didn't like. I get having the unique mountain feel, but some holes bordered on the extreme where fairways weren't only tight - they were simply non-existent. Holes four and seven looked like they simply placed the pin in the distance without removing a single tree.

The map is vital for any first timer and even then the DGA pins can be difficult to spot, so be prepared for some searching. Also, the map is a little off on holes #6 and #11 where 6 plays more along the path and 11 tee box is actually on the other side of the creek.

WORST HOLE/S: #5; #15
Other Thoughts: I can understand why the state tournament will be held here this year. Granted, it has some very obvious issues with the current tee boxes and amount of clearing that I feel should be done, but it is enlightening to note that the owners are serious about making the best course possible. Although I personally thought Sundance Trails ranks slightly higher, many players may prefer this course since the elevation is bigger, the shots are tougher, and challenge is greater.

In the end no matter what I believe ranks higher, no one can argue that Beaver Meadows is one of the top mountain courses in the country. It's a destination location with friendly people, lots to do, and a high caliber course that will push you to be better with every shot. Do yourself a favor and put Sundance Trail Ranch and Beaver Meadows in your wish list, and plan your next summer trip to the mountains of Colorado.

Do you have great accuracy?

2-4    5/16/2009   5/18/2009
Review By: ryyedogg
This review was updated on 8/28/2011
Pros: This is a course that provides a great escape from the busy courses in the city, while challenging even the best of players. The course is a great mix of open, down and uphill, and technical wooded shots. A majority of the shots are very hilly and tight. The lodge has a small pro shop with course scorecards and other useful accessories. Each hole is marked on a stump and benches are provided at each pad.
Cons: Some holes are just plain ridiculous for a lower level player, involving almost a perfect throw. Even with the map on the scorecard, some holes can be a bit hard to navigate because of the terrain and tree layout. Hole #6 had a large tractor blocking my hyzer line off of the teepad(could be intentional?). Make sure you watch your disc after releasing because I have wasted plenty of time searching for my drives at this course. I think knowing the layout is a big plus if you want to play a fast round. Some of the meadow fairway holes are under an inch or two of water in late spring from the runoff.
Other Thoughts: The layout has improved since the original, and is slowly becoming one of my favorite courses. Although this is by far the most scenic course I have played, I still have Sundance Trail as my pick of the best course in the area. I bumped up my rating from 3.5 to 4.0 after seeing the amount of maintenance being done on the course.

1    7/4/2008   4/15/2009
Review By: GDisc
This review was updated on 5/19/2009
Pros: This course provides great scenery nestled away in the Colorado Rockies. It also provides a lodge and restaurant for drinks and a bite to eat after or between rounds. Great diversity in holes ranging from 800+ feet to holes in the 200 range. There are plenty of obstacles from over water shots to Holes where you throw virtually off the top of a ridge to a basket 400+ feet below.
Cons: This course is hard to navigate for newcomers especially with the map on the scorecard being outdated. A single hole can kill your round if you lose your disc in the thick woods. Keep a close eye on every shot and if you lose it keep your eyes in the trees as well because some shots just are that ridiculous. You throw from above the trees to a basket nestled down in the trees. Map on the scorecards is horrible. The angles of the holes on the map are way off compared to the real shot. Last time I was there there was a huge pile of trash in the middle of the course with things like refrigerators laying in the middle of the woods. I believe they are in the process of cleaning this up but until then it is a real sore to the eye in an otherwise beautiful course.
Other Thoughts: I do enjoy the location and adventure of this course but at the same time find my self overly frustrated everytime I play. Any bad shot on this course and you will be spending a good chunk of your round searching for the disc or trying to get it out of a tree. Other than that this is a beautiful mountain course that provides a variety of skills in shots from long technical shots to 10 foot putts that can be very difficult. Bring your whole bag of discs here because you will need them all.

work in progress

1    11/19/2008   2/19/2009
Review By: ponto11
Pros: Outstanding mountain course. Ups, downs, sidehill, flat, over ponds (not much water on courses in CO). Heavily wooded shots, wide open shots, left and right bends.
Cons: This course is still in it's infancy. Like Sundance, it needs work. You a left scratching your head or walking ahead to find the next tee pad or hole. The map is awful and could be much better with just a bit of graphic design care, which would make playing the course a lot more enjoyable. Lake of signage is frustrating.
Other Thoughts: Cons can be corrected and I'm sure will over time, which might cause me to change my review in the future.

Facilities are great and I agree, make a trip out of it and stay with the good folks at Red Feather Lakes resort!!

Finally! Northern CO gets a top-notch course!

6/22/2008   7/14/2008
Review By: DiscGoFevah
Pros: To start with, my rating of 4.0 is only because of the small tweaks needed still, and the lack of permanent tee's. I would rate it a 5 with these modifications in place!

-Restaurant/bar/lodging/wi-fi/disc sales/other activities for the family, all on site!
-Scenic, western feel to the course
-Great staff who's very motivated to make their course the best it can be!
-Elevation changes, but minimal amounts of hiking.
-Huge variety of shots/holes, some of a caliber which I've not seen many other places. See DGadvocate review for more on this.
-Hole 18 is basically a permanent "island green", with a lay-it-up option. Sweet!!!
-Cool, arid Colorado weather during the summer, escape the front range!
Cons: -Natural tee's could use some work, or more permanent construction of some kind.
-Distances and tee signs indicating basket location would be good (coming soon, I hear)
-A couple holes can use a select tree cleared to open up the fairway and allow for a clean shot.
-I would include Amateur tee's on a few holes
-Multiple pin positions would be fun on a few holes, but this is not a con, just a possible improvement.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. Every time I complete a round, I'm itching to go after it again. I can't stress how worth the drive this place is. I'd recommend staying the night, getting your green's fees for free, and spending a couple days up there. You'll want that many attempts at the course!

There's been some discussion about the course par. As of now, it is defined as 59. Some purists think all courses should be 54, but I really think I'd give this one a pro par somewhere between 57 or 59. Course record as of now is 52 (Mike Gomez).

If you like to challenge yourself, throw almost every shot in your bag, and you can still feel like you've played a good round without getting two's on 50%+ of the holes, than you'll love this one!

Amazing!

6/26/2008   6/27/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: After walking the course with me, my daughter who has been to many of the courses I've played, said as a matter of fact, "That was the best disc golf course ever." She could be right. There is the typical up and back down the mountain, but not too much. You make two trips up a hill and back down again. Each time encountering tight wooded holes, hidden baskets, and big downhill bombs. When at the bottom there is a pond to contend with. This course has such well balanced variety that nothing feels like you have already done it before. There are a few shots that take guts even. After teeing off on number ten, I went to the restaurant had a soda and a plate of nachos and then went back and finished the round. Everything about it was awesome. I am a more complete person for having teed off over a pond and witness a trout jump under the flight path.
Cons: There was a hole in the back nine (either 14 or 15) that was very long and unforgiving. I hung a line out to the right and found myself climbing a cliff face, well, almost. Not really a "con" but I did end the round in a flop-sweat. The only real honest con is that the course is so far out into the sticks and that its costs five bucks to play. The trails from basket to tee box could use more grooming.
Other Thoughts: Red Feather Lakes, having a population of 525 (2000 census) might be the best disc golf town in Colorado between this new course and the also amazing Sundance Trail. I remember when ski resort town disc golf seemed really cool, dude ranch golf is just as fun. God bless summer time in the Rockies! Thanks DGadvocate for letting me know about this oasis.

6/22/2008   6/25/2008
Review By: DGadvocate
This review was updated on 7/17/2008
Pros: Great variety of holes - every thing you could want: uphill, downhill, tight and technical, wide open blasters, water hazards on 4 holes. A very challenging course in an idyllic setting.

As of this writing some holes are not in their final state - only because the management wants to tweak them by consensus of the DG community.

There's a very short 19th hole. If you sink it in one shot, you're entitled to a beverage on the house.
Cons: It is still a work in progress because it just opened, so amenities like benches and signs at Tees are not yet in, but are on their way. Some tees are not yet completed.
Other Thoughts: What a gem in a beautiful setting at 8500' in the Rocky Mountains - designed by Bill Wright of the Wright Life in Fort Collins, which is an hour away.

The friendly, pro-Disc Golf folks at Beaver Meadows are determined to make this course appeal to every level of Disc Golfer when it is completed.

The three pros I've played with up there all agree it rates a 5 out of 5 due to the variety, challenge, and splendor.

I'll let the pictures suffice for hole descriptions.

Hole 9 finishes near the restaurant where you can grab a meal (the food is fine) and beverage before letting the back 9 beat you up.

The course record as of 7-7-08 stands at 52 by Mike Gomez, a lefty, from Longmont, CO.

The snowpack is running off still and a couple of holes are affected, so you might get your feet a little wet.

Beaver Meadows is a beautiful Resort Ranch with many activities for every member of the family. The ponds are stocked with Rainbows and Browns for fishing too. You can get more info at this link.

www.beavermeadows.com

The Northern Colorado Disc Golf Club is already planning a monthly tournament there.

If you like a challenging course and a good hike in the beautiful Colorado Rockies, you'll like this course.

A bonus is that it's only 20 minutes down the road from another gem - Sundance Trail.

1 2 Next >