Concord, NC

1    8/16/2013   8/17/2013
Review By: pfpro
This review was updated on 8/25/2013
Pros: - Within 5 minutes of I-85
- For being a beginner course, decent lengths on a majority of the holes. (It averages 294').
- Mix of open and wooded holes.
- Nice, clean park
- Decent signs (distance and next hole location - but park isn't that difficult to navigate).
Cons: - Some of the open holes are boring
- only 1 tee pad (so you can't turn into 18 different tee shots - although if you played it enough, I'm sure you could find/make "pro" pads).
- Minimal disc golf amenities (benches, etc).
- Some holes in close proximity to other park amenities.
- Times - park doesn't open early.
Other Thoughts: So - I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, BUT, *EDITED OUT*

I was itching to play, so I checked this course out. I had minimal expectations. There are so many other courses to choose from - definitely not a destination course. I liked holes 1, 5 and 8. I would have liked 4, except I was thinking "don't throw right, there's water, don't throw right" and guess where I threw my first shot (since I started play on 4). 7 and 9 are open field shots (boring, IMO). 3 at least has some distance for being an open field shot. Convenient enough to be a warm-up course (or to play it to mark it off the list). If I lived in one of the houses across the street, I would play it often. If I had beginners, I would recommend they try to course - otherwise check out other, better courses. Additional tees, and 9 "quality" holes would have gained another half point each. For what it was, it's reasonable.

DG in a park

1    5/11/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: It's a solid 9 holer in a nice city park with a parky park feel.

Layout - The course does give you a mixture of hole types; some open, some wooded, some tightish gap hitters, some you have to work the disc a bit. A couple holes do a fairly good job of creating risk/reward by making the gap you're hitting kinda tight and giving you thick brush and OB to worry about.

The course flows well, it's pretty obvious where to go next and it takes you in a loop back to the parking lot where you started.

I like how it does give you one really big bomber hole, you never really see that on these types of city park 9 holers. There's a couple of really good holes out there. I'd say it's a good course to stop and warm up or if you're strapped for time or just in the area.

Equipment - Newer baskets and really nice large concrete teepads that are flush with the ground, maybe the best pads I've ever seen at a 9 holer. Nice signage that explains the holes.

Atmosphere - It's got that city park feel but it's a super nice city park, looks on the newer side with a good looking pond in the middle of it.
Cons: Layout - It's a pretty short course with the exception of two open holes (#3 and #7) so it doesn't really offer that much of a challenge. Plus the open holes were just open and no little thing extra in there that made them stand out.

They did a good job of working with what they had but it's not a course that will leave you wanting more; I wouldn't go out there just to play it even if I lived 10 minutes from there.

The wooded holes leave a lot to be desired, basically just straighter shots, a few have some shot shaping. The greens and basket locations aren't anything to write home about either.

#4 to me is just ridiculous, they're asking a lot out of a blind shot with thick brush on one side and a creek on the other. The hole is just at an odd angle and for a course like this it made me just want to lay up at the opening and take a 3.

#6 - has got to be the shortest hole in Charlotte, will probably get aced by a million people and be covered in sharpie.

The other thing that really doesn't do it for me is how flat the course is, I like elevation and you won't find it here.

Atmosphere - I tend to lean towards courses with a more secluded feel and this isn't it. You're just another person in the park and I saw a lot of joggers running near holes. It's a nice looking park but not the kind of omg this disc golf course is magnificent kind of look.

The course is also really prone to flooding and holds water terribly because it's so flat.
Other Thoughts: I stopped here on my way in to Charlotte and was glad I did, I got warmed up for a big day of playing much tougher courses. I'd say it's a great warm up course, good for beginners or if you're just in the area.

Holes I liked -

#3 - It's not a great hole but you get to rip one as hard as you can.

#8 - it's a lejit disc golf hole, makes you shape a shot for 300ish feet. really enjoyed that one.

Beautiful day, nasty course.

1    3/6/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Beautiful grounds, in general a very nice and clean park. Large concrete teepads were really appreciated today (see the rest of the review). Nice variety of shots needed, good practice for this beginner.
Cons: Very MUDDY and wet everywhere....almost as if it used to be swampland. Had a very hard time working on technique as we were slipping and sliding on almost every hole; I did wrench my back because of it on one shot. 2 women walking ahjead of us as we finished 7 and went to 8 were allowed to get ahead of us as we were catching our breath and getting a drink, but then they turned OFF the walking path and went right down the hole 7 fairway and green, directly in front of us, knowing we were playing yet they didn't care a bit and just took their own sweet time, delaying our progress for the 8, yes 8 minutes it took them to walk the 347 feet. very inconsiderate. Navigation was terrible; we walked the wrong way looking for tee # 6 when we had been 5 feet in front of it but couldn't see it for the undergrowth.
Other Thoughts: I did like the variety of shots this course requires. Lots of opportunities to practice hammer throws as I was constantly in the woods because I had a very hard time keeping my feet when throwing. I will play this course again, however, when I'm sure it's dry. Loved hole #4 with the bamboo tunnel and dogleg left along the creek.

5+    5/18/2011   6/9/2011
Review By: Rythum55
Pros: Short course, two wide open distant holes. Holes 4 and 5 are reasonably challenging.
Cons: Without holes 4 and 5 the course would be way too easy. A creek runs to the right of these holes, and the grass is high and makes it easy to loose you discs if you get off the narrow fairway.

Deceptively difficult

2-4    8/16/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - Nice mix of difficult and easy holes. It keeps you on your toes a bit because you quickly go from wide-open shots (3 and 7) to tight, wooded shots (4 and 8). You can never get too comfortable playing here.

- There are nice, long concrete tee pads for each hole, which is a plus on a 9-hole course.

- Navigation is helped on a few holes with gravel walkways leading up to the next tee.

- The park is very nice with tons of walking trails, a couple of basketball courts, a nice-sized pond, and a playground area.
Cons: - Personally, I think #4 is too difficult for a par 3. You tee off at an open area that's maybe 100 feet to a narrow tunnel of woods that curves to the left and is flanked by a bamboo forest at the entrance. You're forced to try to shoot the tunnel to have any kind of chance at birdie and a decent chance at par, but it's almost impossible to do that without a perfect shot every time. If you "go for it," you're putting yourself at risk for losing that disc in the bamboo. I've searched for discs in there numerous times and have seen snakes in doing so. Luckily, I've always found my disc without any further ado, but it's almost not even worth it to "go for it." I really wish this hole were a bit longer and a par 4, but I guess 4 just seemed a bit much at the current length.

- As mentioned before, the distances are way off on the tee signs. I'm not sure what happened there - maybe the course was designed differently and the hole distances weren't updated for the new locations.

- I'm glad someone mentioned the gravel on the tee pads already, because that's quite frustrating for me - particularly on hole 3 when you really need a power shot with a good run-up. I praised the gravel walkways leading from basket to tee on some holes, but I really feel like they should have cut those off about 5-10 feet in front of the next tee. They actually run right up onto the tee, so of course the gravel is going to get kicked onto and all over the tee pad. That was poor design. It definitely makes for some sliding and slipping when you're teeing off, and that's the last thing you need to be worried about at that point.

- The numerous power towers along the open area around holes 3 and 4 detract from the course's beauty in my opinion. That can't really be helped, but it does stand out.
Other Thoughts: - This course is deceptively difficult for a 9-holer. #4 and #8 seem to punish me every time, and the length of #3 and #7 - the open holes - even throws me off sometimes. However, it just feels like something is missing every time I play here. Although there is variety with the hole difficulty, I don't feel like there's enough overall variety to make more than a couple of holes stand out. Maybe once it gets expanded to 18, that will be remedied.

Good 9-holer course makes you want 18

5+    7/5/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 4/20/2012
Pros: One of the better 9-hole courses in the region. Tons of room to play, and plenty of potential to expand to 18 holes.
- Good variety of holes - 6 holes are wooded, 3 are in open field. A couple of the wooded holes are really tight and challenging.
- Great tee signs- very descriptive and point you to the next hole. Had no problem navigating the course.
- Large tee pads. Always a big plus.
- Great, clean park with pond, trails, picnic shelters, playground, basketball court, open fields for sports, bathrooms.
- #3 is the perfect hole to unload the bag to practice throwing drives.
Cons: Distances on tee signs don't seem accurate on a couple holes. For example #1 is listed at 215, but it's closer to the 300 ft range.
- The open holes (#3, 7 & 9) are wide open in fields, with no obstacles at all. Having one hole like that is ok, but 3 on a 9 hole course is a bit much.
- #4 is a high risk "lost disc" potential. Tall, thick rough on both sides of the fairway as your tee shot enters the woods. I've found it's safer throwing a straighter and shorter disc than throwing a driver with the risk of it going into the rough.
- #4 & 5 have tight fairways. I won't say they're unfair, but definetly less natural, and less forgiving than most you'll see. Going from wide open holes to extremely tight ones, gives you both ends of the spectrum, and not necessarily in a good way.
Other Thoughts: Course more than holds its own. It isn't difficult, but it's no walkover either. You have to be on your game to make birdies, but can recover from a poor tee shot on most holes to make par.
- The course does a good job using the limited trees and wooded areas.
- I'm not a fan of #3 at all. It's a wide-open, 473 foot par 3 hole. Unless you throw at least 400 feet, you're never going to have a chance at birdie. For the casual, average person who throws in the 250 - 300 foot range, it means you still have 200 feet to throw your second shot just to save par. Also, the wide-open field throws off your depth-perception, making it easy to sail your shots by the hole. This either needs to be 50 feet longer and a par 4 or 75 shorter and a more reasonable par 3.
- I'd probably rate this a 2.5 - 3 if it were a full 18, and the other 9 holes were comparable to the current 9.
- This is a great overall park. With all the other amenities, it's a good place to bring the whole family while you play.