Concord, NC
Vietnam Veterans Park Share
Uploaded By: jedwards Hole #5

1    9/5/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: I stopped at this course because I had several times seen discs in the air while driving past on the freeway and finally had a little extra time to stop. I was pleasantly surprised at this niner. I had expected a completely open snorefest but found a nice mix of open and wooded holes that offered both chances to air out a drive and opportunities to thread a disc between two treelines.
This is really an excellent beginner course. While later holes are either open or wooded, we start out with two holes that are in between. Open holes with one or two narrow gaps each, they force straight throws, but aren't overly difficult. 3 and 7 are open bombs of 350 and 440 feet respectively. Nice chances to watch the flight of the disc. 5 and 8 are wooded but overly tight. They sport distances in the 200s and variety to the course. No thick underbrush, a new player will likely add strokes but not frustration to his round on these.
Overall the course provides a nice introduction to various aspects of the game and for nine holes, boasts incredible variety.
Cons: 4 and 6. There is so much space at the park and there are only nine holes. Does one of them(6) need to be 80 feet? Does one of them need to be them need to feature a weird layup to get to the mouth of the woods? Why couldn't the 4 tee be right at the opening to the woods? That first stretch exposes beginners to the only really nasty piece of shule on the course and must confuse them about where they are trying to throw.
Other Thoughts: For an experienced player, it isn't going to be memorable but it will be a quick round and the location is so accessible that it's tempting to stop and warm up for another course or just get a break during a long day of travel.

Good utilization of land

2-4    8/28/2015   9/1/2015
Review By: sc2sick
Pros: Made good use of the space
Variety of holes in and out of the woods
Made me focus on my lines and not on power
Cons: Hole 5 had a drop off to the right that I didn't see when I went for my drive.. yes I made a bad shot but had I known about the 6 food cliff type drop I'd have played it short and straight for safety.. while looking for my disc I came across a few sections of unmarked barbed wire.. not thrilled about that.
Other Thoughts: I lost my disc my first time playing on hole 5.. I ended up finding it when playing through another round later that day.. I'm not a fan of that barbed wire being there at all.. it should be dealt with for safety.

Decent 9 hole course

5+    6/3/2014   6/4/2014
Review By: Khilty
Pros: This is a good course to just run through and brush up, it offers a few long shots 3,7&9 and the rest of the course is in the woods. Good sinage easy to navigate. Ace hole on 6, easy ace if you throw right. Usually not crowded
Cons: No benches at tee pads, not a lot of variation. The jogging trail runs through the dg course and can sometimes be a factor.
Other Thoughts: Like the title says its a decent 9 hole course that plays well and you can run through it fast.

Good warm up course

1    6/3/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Good course for beginners to learn the game of disc golf.
There is one ace hole.
Also, there's one big bomber hole over 400 ft.
Course is quick to play if you don't have much time.
Mix of wide open and wooded holes.
Course is easy to navigate.
Course is well maintained at all times.
Course is in a safe area.
Course has restrooms. Playgrounds, vending machines, and other amenities.
Cons: Joggers can get in the way at times.
Only 9 holes.
Not much of a variety of shots needed.
No elevation change.
Course can get muddy after rain.
Other Thoughts: If you live nearby, its a good course to play as a warm up or if you are short on time. One of the better 9 hole courses in the area. It's a step up from Dorton in my opinion. Course is most suited for RHBH players.

Warm Up for the Big Boys

1    7/22/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Fun layout in a great park setting. North Cabarrus provides a great warm-up for a day of disc golf in Charlotte. Demands accuracy, but there are a couple of open holes, including one that you can open up a bit (nothing high speed, but it IS over 400 feet). Still not for big arms, but not as short as Dorton Park.

The layout is pretty easy to follow -- I only got turned around once, and that was because I wasn't paying attention. Good signage, good tee pads.
Cons: Only nine holes (which is supposed to change soon, I guess).

Other Thoughts: I played North Cabarrus as a warm-up, so it was pretty early in the day. I had the course to myself, which was nice -- I was able to really warm up, and throw multiple shots on most of the holes. My GPS took me the wrong way because of construction on Orphanage Road (you have to get onto Orphanage Rd and head west to get to the park, which means turning right as you get off 85N).

North Cab and Dorton Park have the disadvantage of being in Charlotte, among courses like Renny and Hornet's Nest. In that way, the two nine holers don't quite measure up -- there's only so much you can do with a nine hole layout, after all. There's really not much that can be done short of completing the back nine to bump this course up. It really has everything I want from a nine hole course.

5+    5/10/2012   5/10/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course has great teepads and signage.

There is a lot of variety of woods and open shots with some minor elevation change on the first two holes.

It seems well kept up overall by the staff of the park. I enjoy 7/9 holes on the course.
Cons: Holes 4 and 6 are kinda downers. for starters 4 is an odd line that is what I think is the perfect example of a tweener hole. It turns at an odd angle and then goes straight for 200 feet. I have never seen anyone get within 150' of this pin.

Hole 6 is just a filler hole that takes away from the rest of the course imo. it is just a short upshot around a corner and seems to kill the vibe of the round.

This course can be VERY muddy after a rainstorm.

Other Thoughts: This is one of the better 9 holers i have played however holes 4 &6 are just buzzkills for me. I think that if you are in this area you are better served to drive 10 more min to Bradford park which is a very solid course. Unless you are a courses played junky this one is not a destination course.

The eventual Move to 18 holes(which acourding to P&R will not happen in the next few years) may make this course more worth the while

2-4    3/19/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: Atreyu
Pros: The park overall is very nice and family oriented. The grounds are well kept. The baskets are very nice. There isn't very much graffiti around. Beginners and some intermediate players will find this course nice to play on. I practice my mid range game here and really only use a driver on holes 3 and 7. The scenery is very nice as well as seeing the horses kept around hole 3. I could definitely see families playing this course during the summer.
Cons: I didn't use a variety of shots...most holes are meant for rhbh players. Hole #8 is the only hole that curves right. The footage on the signs are way off. I think they could have used the space a lot better as there are open areas not being used. The opening on hole #4 is tough to hit and many discs end up in the bamboo. I've hit the gap once out of 4 times. The walking rails go right down some of the fairways and its frustrating waiting for people to walk down paths. Not a lot of benches, but you don't need them.
Other Thoughts: Overall, its a decent course. I play it when I'm waiting to pick my gf up from work, otherwise I probably wouldn't go. I'd like to see it expanded and more variety of shots...I think that could significantly improve the course.

5+    7/25/2011   7/27/2011
Review By: shtfox13
Pros: North Cabarrus is a decent park. 9 holes with talk of plans of 9 more to finish out the full 18 in the next few years. This is a pretty challenging course but fun if you play a good bit ans short on time. Beginners beware as there are some very technical shots here. . Watch out for hole 4 with a tight bamboo fores left and right and a deep creek on the right side. I lost a disc here on one of my first games ever played. Creek also comes into play on hole 5. Has a decent mix of open shots and some in the woods. Also a set of trash and recycling cans at holes with concrete pads. ark is well maintained and has good clean bathrooms, grilling area, shelters, playground, and a huge phucking pond.
Cons: We can usually power play and finish in 25-30 minutes. This also a public park and many times have had bicyclist and runners on the fairways even though the park post caution signs for pedestrians in disk golf areas. Some of the holes seem just thrown in.
Other Thoughts: Very recently (beginning of July I think) they Band smoking in the park with a $50 fine. Overall an OK play but not worth going out of the way for. I play there a lot because its 10 min away but would rather play in Charlotte at hornet nest or Charlotte's web any day.

A fun little course

5+    5/24/2011   5/24/2011
Review By: DGancient
Pros: Easy to find the next hole. Course is well maintained with plenty of trash cans. The baskets are in good shape with forgiving chains. Large concrete pads. A variety of shot types are possible. Wooded holes and open holes. A fun practice course. Not crowded at all.
Cons: Yardage on the signs for 1 and 2 are incorrect. Signs are missing on holes 6 & 7. Can stay pretty muddy on a few holes after a rainfall. Holes 4, 5, & 6 will often have pedestrians in the reverse direction (all 3 holes can hide these people from you. Be extra careful on hold 4).
Other Thoughts: Hole 1 par 3 - Sign shows it to be 215'. I measured down the center of the fairway, from the front of the tee to the front of the basket pole, using a 30' tape measure (yes, I marked each 30' increment into the ground). 276' 8" is what I came up with. The hole plays a little longer than this due to a slight increase in elevation from the tee to the basket, and because of a slightly inclined tee. Pretty straight hole. Don't throw too high. There are a couple branches that love to smack the discs back to the ground.

Hole 2 par 3 - Sign shows 265'. Measured 222'. This is a downhill ace run. Plays closer to 180' - 190'.

Hole 3 par 4 - 473' wide open shot. If you can drive 250+, you should be able to lay up pretty easy for a birdie. This hole must be a par 4 for the distance alone. Bombs away.

Hole 4 par 3 - Open fairway for the first 60' of what is shown to be a 279' hole. Then it tightens up pretty dramatically as it turns a little to the left. I have seen several players drive with their putter to make sure they are in the center of the fairway as the hole tightens. If you do this, it leave a very long approach shot which you must keep low and straight to reach the hole. I love to hate this hole as I have only made par around one out of ten tries. I have never seen a birdie on this hole, and have only heard of one person doing it from about 100' out. (This is the next one I want to measure)

Hole 5 par 3 - A good hole for RHBH. 240' to the hole with a straight drive before you let the disc fade to the left at the hole. Be careful you don't let go too late. There is a creek on the right side, which can carry your discs quite a distance when the water is high (doesn't seem to happen often).

Hole 6 par 3 - This hole has not had a sign since I started playing this course. The scorecard says it is 175'. Riiiiight!!! Can you putt 100'+? I measured this one as 124'2". A nice easy downhill throw to the left. If any hole should be a par 2, this would be the one. Easy deuce. Possible Ace.

Hole 7 par 3 - Someone must have gotten angry at himself after a bad drive. Sign was forcibly removed. Another wide open hole with the basket just past the crest of a small hill. This 347' open shot only has two challenges. Sometimes the wind will be pretty strong from left to right. If your approach is too long, you have an uphill put coming back.

Hole 8 par 3 - 340' dogleg to the right. A fairly tight fairway for the first half of the hole. As the hole turns to the right, it opens up pretty well. Try to stay in the fairway. If you smack a tree, you should hope you don't go more than 10' off the fairway. If you go farther than that, you will be testing your resistance to poison ivy.

Hole 9 par 3 - 310' straight ahead. Nuff said.

Not a bad option

1    4/8/2011   4/8/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Nice, large concrete tee pads. Signs that show hole number and distance. Good mix of wide open and wooded shots. Wooded holes are for the most part laid out well, and in a couple of cases offer a nice challenge. Get in the shule on #4 and you'll be searching for your disc for a while. Good course flow that brings you in a loop back to the parking area where you started. While course does play near the walking trail, there is not a place where I thought there could ever be an issue with other park users.
Cons: Better signs with hole layout would be nice, especially on the wooded holes where the basket is not visible from the tee. As stated in other reviews hole 6 is almost a waste. It is bordering on a long putt. My guess is they intentionally removed the sign so they didn't have to put the true distance in writing. The three holes (3, 7, 9) that were in the open were all just wide open field shots with no other challenges. No elevation or trees to make the shots interesting or fun. So with 3, 7, 9 and 6 being below average holes there just seems to be something missing here. Not enough good holes to make it a real worthy course.
Other Thoughts: While this course does offer a few well laid out wooded holes, overall it doesn't offer a ton of reasons to play it. The short hole and open holes would probably be good for newer players, but then there are a few wooded holes that would probably be too much challenge for someone just starting out. If they ever make this an 18 hole course maybe there will be enough good holes added to balance out the bad. Until then it's just an OK place to play. Probably nice to have if you live close by, but not worth a trip with so many options in the Charlotte area.