Concord, NC
Uploaded By: jedwards Hole #8

My 3rd favorite 9 hole course

1    2/20/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: prerube
Pros: - Best pro was the course flow, sidewalks and gravel paths lead you right to the next tee.
- Easy to find park in and pleasant environment
- Restrooms, vending machines, grills, kids play areas.
- Surprisingly large concrete tee pads.
- Superb maintenance
- Variety in distances and hole layout.
- Bright Discatchers are easy to see and in great shape.
Cons: - Hole 6 is a super short ace run that kills the excitement from the too nice holes prior. Hole info says 175, but it seems more like a 90ft left hook. (sign is gone)
No alternate tees or basket locations were noticed., with alternate tees this course could have rivaled some of the best 9 holers I have played.
Other Thoughts: - Course opens at 9:00 during winter, in March it opens at 8:00. a sign warns that you can be prosecuted if you try to sneak in early or play after close.

- I looked over at the land where the next potential 9 could go, there is A LOT of potential with nice elevation changes and a good amount of land and foliage, when this is a 9 holer it can rival some of the area greats.

- Most maintenance is done by Sr. Ranger Doug Buckner, who seems to really care about the sport and would be interested in finding a local who would consider running a local club, kids clinic, or even giving input on the next 9 holes.

- When choosing what discs to bring consider:
1. 215 very slight left
2. 265 downhill with bush on the left, plays like a 220
3. 473 wide open
4. 279 through a tunnel of trees
5. 240 down stone path, blind shot with fence on the right. Wooded, but nice fairway.
6. super short hard left. Moderately wooded, but decent fairway.
7. 347 wide open over a hill.
8. 340 moderately wooded. Straight for about 180 ft then right turn.
9. 310 open and straight.

NoCab, not bad shootin out here

1    1/19/2011   1/20/2011
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: I would have never believed that a 9 hole course could have as much variety as NoCab could deliver. Open shots, tight lines, some minor elevation, some distance and a short one or two. I can't believe I had never played there before.

North Cabarrus Park DGC is definately a 9 holer waiting for its second 9 to be whole. NoCab is equipped with bright yellow DisCatchers, two layers of chains, and deep baskets. Tee signs depict map, distance and par. Their location in relation to the tee pad isn't the most ideal(at the back/right corner) but is much better than where they are located in the pictures of the course(at the front/right corner). Tee boxes are concrete and of sufficient size. Tee boxes are level with the ground, well suited for extended run-ups.

Gravel paths seem to lead the way from basket to next tee. Not always a complete path to the next tee, but will lead you in the right direction.

NoCab has got an open bomb shot of 470', a tight 170' shot, and a good mix of wooded and open shots. Hole number 4 is a tough shot through a small gap, with about 175' of tunnel straight to the basket. Don't miss the gap or you're in trouble.
Cons: At least one of the holes seemed to be the incorrect distance listed on the tee sign(this could be just opinion, though). Holes one and two run end to end, seem about the same length, and differ about 50' in posted distance. Hole 1 seems to run about 270'. Hole 8 feels closer to just under 300', maybe. If you're good at judging distance by sight you'll know what I'm talking about.

9 holes with no alternate pins or tee pads do not allow you to play a unique 18 holes out here. 9 additional holes may be in the future for NoCab. The current layout wouldn't stop me from making my trek up from the QC every once in a while.

I would imagine in the right season there could be plenty of pedestrians walking along the length of the course(a walking trail runs along most of the course). Just keep a heads up.
Other Thoughts: By far, the best course in its immediate area, with lowely Dorton and (from what I hear) Kannapolis Rec Park the only other options.

North Cabarrus Park is a very nice park. I had that safe vibe the entire time. Well maintained and very clean. Grass was manicured and nothing was out of sorts. Yes, the power lines and towers take away from some of the beauty of the coures, but doesn't take away from the playing aspect.

TO FIRST TEE: Enter park and head to the back parking lot(by the pond). Take sidewalk between Magnolia Pavilion and vending machines and you are right there.

Not bad, decent course

1    10/17/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: uncjibble
Pros: I liked that there were wooded and open holes. Often you have courses that are all wide open, or all narrow. This course had some wide open ones where you could really try to bomb it, and some really really narrow holes with an extremely tight line. I thought it was nice having a little of both and it made up for some of the repetitive design Some were easy 2's, some difficult pars. The course was fairly well maintained.
Cons: Took forever to find the first hole, no signage whatsoever. (its behind the pond and building on the right of the parking lot when you drive in FYI). Some of the holes could use a little more creativity in design. It seemed like it was either a straight shot on the wide open holes, or a dog leg left.
Other Thoughts: For a nine hole course, this was a good course, I would say its a pretty average course overall.

1    10/23/2009   1/13/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: Clean and safe park. Not hard to navigate once you find the first tee. The wooded holes make it more challenging because of the tight fairways. Not crowded. Concrete tee pads are very nice.
Cons: The signs in front of the tee pads are annoying, I hope they get moved *Edit- I have been informed the signs have been moved and I am happy to hear it.* The powerline towers take away from the beauty of the park.
Other Thoughts: If this turns into a 18 hole course i would like to redo my review. I think the numerous courses in the Charlotte area keep the traffic down on this 9 holer. If you land in the creek it shouldn't be too hard to get your disc back but it is a steep bank. My recomendation- this a nice practice course or a place for beginners to start out on.

Deceptively difficult

2-4    8/16/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - Nice mix of difficult and easy holes. It keeps you on your toes a bit because you quickly go from wide-open shots (3 and 7) to tight, wooded shots (4 and 8). You can never get too comfortable playing here.

- There are nice, long concrete tee pads for each hole, which is a plus on a 9-hole course.

- Navigation is helped on a few holes with gravel walkways leading up to the next tee.

- The park is very nice with tons of walking trails, a couple of basketball courts, a nice-sized pond, and a playground area.
Cons: - Personally, I think #4 is too difficult for a par 3. You tee off at an open area that's maybe 100 feet to a narrow tunnel of woods that curves to the left and is flanked by a bamboo forest at the entrance. You're forced to try to shoot the tunnel to have any kind of chance at birdie and a decent chance at par, but it's almost impossible to do that without a perfect shot every time. If you "go for it," you're putting yourself at risk for losing that disc in the bamboo. I've searched for discs in there numerous times and have seen snakes in doing so. Luckily, I've always found my disc without any further ado, but it's almost not even worth it to "go for it." I really wish this hole were a bit longer and a par 4, but I guess 4 just seemed a bit much at the current length.

- As mentioned before, the distances are way off on the tee signs. I'm not sure what happened there - maybe the course was designed differently and the hole distances weren't updated for the new locations.

- I'm glad someone mentioned the gravel on the tee pads already, because that's quite frustrating for me - particularly on hole 3 when you really need a power shot with a good run-up. I praised the gravel walkways leading from basket to tee on some holes, but I really feel like they should have cut those off about 5-10 feet in front of the next tee. They actually run right up onto the tee, so of course the gravel is going to get kicked onto and all over the tee pad. That was poor design. It definitely makes for some sliding and slipping when you're teeing off, and that's the last thing you need to be worried about at that point.

- The numerous power towers along the open area around holes 3 and 4 detract from the course's beauty in my opinion. That can't really be helped, but it does stand out.
Other Thoughts: - This course is deceptively difficult for a 9-holer. #4 and #8 seem to punish me every time, and the length of #3 and #7 - the open holes - even throws me off sometimes. However, it just feels like something is missing every time I play here. Although there is variety with the hole difficulty, I don't feel like there's enough overall variety to make more than a couple of holes stand out. Maybe once it gets expanded to 18, that will be remedied.

Waiting for it to become an 18!

5+    8/3/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 10/19/2010
Pros: Beautiful, clean park with amenities that include 2 full court basketball courts, several large picnic pavillions, a playground for the little tykes if you happen to bring them along, and walking/jogging trails: Its a good place for a family outing.

Restrooms are really close and clean. Easy to find the next hole, for the most part. Concrete tee-pads. Some of the holes are really challenging (like holes 4 and 8) and will test your skills. Several trashcans scattered throughout.
Cons: Its only a 9 hole course (for now) and there is just so much potential for this one.

No practice basket on this one. To me that's a con.

It can retain water, even days after a heavy rain.

I might be "nit-picky" on this but there are no benches at any of the 9 holes.

The tee-signs are at the front of the tee-pad which makes you wonder what the designer was smokin' when he decided on putting them there.

The tee-pads can tend to get alot of gravel on them which can make for uneasy footing on a drive.

The water hazard on hole #5. I have had to fish out discs that landed in this creek numerous times. Better bring an extra pair of shoes.
Other Thoughts: There has been talk about turning this into an 18 hole course in the future, and when/if they do there is no reason why this course couldnt be rated a 3.5 - 4 disc course. It certainly has the potential.

This course is where I landed my first ace, down on hole #6. Its a blind shot but it isn't too hard to get one on this hole.

Hole #4 is a straight tunnel shot to the basket. Most of my drives off of the tee-pad seem to always land in the thick bamboo right at the entrance of the "tunnel". I will admit that this hole is probably the most technical hole I have seen so far in my 1 year of playing DG.

I like this little technical course but I always find myself driving to Dorton Park to practice on instead of this one. Dorton Park is more "beginner friendly" and if you are looking for a course that is a "step up" to moderately harder for a noob, give North Cabarrus a shot!

I Wasn't Thrilled With This Course!

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: Sorry, but this course does not get my approval. I wasn't happy with the overall design. The concrete teepads are great, grooved for traction. Nice baskets and very informative tee signs. I like the design of two holes; #2 a 265 ft. downhill with a slight hyser and # 8, a 340 ft. hyser through the trees.
Cons: First of all, I had a hard time finding # 1. I had to walk all over. A sign of some kind would be nice. I thought the three open field holes were pretty boring and unimaginitive. Starting at # 4, there were three holes in a row where the risk/reward wasn't worth it for me. # 4 was 279 ft. straight tunnell shot with tall, deep rough on both sides. Playing by myself, I didn't feel like taking the chance of losing a disc or spending a lot of time looking for it. And then # 5 is a 240 ft. hole with the creek on the right side. Another hole where the risk/reward just wasn't worth it for me. Then # 5 plays along the same creek. One carom off a tree and you're climbing over the fence and fishing for your disc.
Other Thoughts: I don't see this as a good beginner course at all. I think the middle three holes would be frustrating to any newbie. If I was going to bring someone out for the first time, I'd take them to Dorton. They'd enjoy that course much more. Although anyone past the level of beginner would probably rather play here, except me. I'll pass on this course.

Good Beginner's Course

1    7/5/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Dwiggy444
Pros: - A decent mix of open / wooded holes and a variety of distances (up to 475 ft).
- Nice variety of difficulty: a couple holes that would be challenging for advanced players as well as a few easier holes that would be good for beginners. For example -
--> Hole 4 could fit in at almost any championship-caliber course: a 275 tunnel shot that curves from right to left the whole way, with a small forest of bamboo on the left side of tunnel entrance.
--> Hole 9 is a greati finishing hole for a beginner course: a straight-ahead 310 footer in a clearing, with a dense line of brush lining the left side of the fairway.
- Nice hole maps on each tee pad (although distances seem a little off in places)
- Gravel walking paths between each hole
Cons: - It was a little tough to find the first hole from the parking lot.
- None of the park signs mentioned disc golf, so I might never have known there was a course there if I hadn't found it online first.
- The two longest holes were wide open shots across open, unmowed fields. To bring this course to the next level, a couple additional obstacles could be added to these holes to make them more challenging for advanced players.
- The creek lining the right side of the landing area on hole 5 seems a bit treacherous,especially for beginning players who might be learning to play the game at this course. Perhaps the short fence lining the right edge of the creek could be soldified or covered in mesh to prevent discs from going down the creek bank.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very nice beginner's course. I took my brother and his kids to this course to introduce them to the game and it was perfect for that purpose. The easier holes give a beginner a chance to "air it out" and the tougher holes show you the variety of shots and skill required to master the sport.

I've read here (and elsewhere) that the course may be expanded to 18 holes in the future - can't wait to see it!

north cabbarus course reveiw

5+    6/26/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Avenger4ThaAce
Pros: very well upkept , desriptive hole marquis,layed out of holes are great,tight fairways,free disc rental available (ask for ranger roids or deputy dog). nice disc catchers.
Cons: when it rains it tends to get muddy,tree overhangs can be a problem as well as overgrown shrub left of hole 4,only 9 holes,disc loss is an often occuring factor throughout the course.
Other Thoughts: overall a semi challenging course but fun.its a easy course to find and usually not crowded.ONE NATION UNDER PAR!!!

Beautiful course within a beautiful park

8/5/2008   8/6/2008
Review By: Mystery
Pros: This is a great course. The park is clean and very beautiful. The signs are very detailed with sturdy metal posts. The tees are large concrete pads with plenty of grip. The baskets are Innova Discatchers that are in excellent condition with crushed gravel paths leading from the green to either the next tee or the walking path. Those that tees that are off of the path have a gravel path leading to them, which makes navigation flawless. There are a variety of shots that are represented by the layout. 3 of the holes are in the open with no obstacles. Holes #1, #5, and #8 are excellent and could be on any quality course. Hole # 1 is a reachable basket 215ft from the tee. The hole is protected by thick brush to the right. Hole # 5 has a fence bordering a creek on the right side of the fairway . The basket is to the left, giving an excellent risk vs. reward. The shortest hole on the course is the 175 ft #6. It gives an excellent opportunity for an ace if you can get your disc to turn left enough .Hole # 8 is straight through the woods for about 230ft with a right turn to the basket. It is an excellent hole.

Cons: The signs are right off of the front corner of the tee. This could present a problem for some players, especially right handed forehand throwers. Hole #4, and even #2, have thick brush that can be a tough penalty to errant shots from tee to green. The drive for #4 is straight under a power-line tower and can be brutal if inaccurate into the brush. #6 seems too short, but it is still fun. I can't wait to see the rest of the holes. Where are the other 9 holes and when are they coming? This is too good of a course to be just 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: The speed limit in the park is 19mph. Why 19? Why not 13? The number seems arbitrary and really made me laugh. I was in love with the park as I drove in. Needs to be in the PDGA Course Directory, which it is not.