Concord, NC
Uploaded By: jedwards Hole #4

< Prev 1 2 3 4

1    9/5/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: I stopped at this course because I had several times seen discs in the air while driving past on the freeway and finally had a little extra time to stop. I was pleasantly surprised at this niner. I had expected a completely open snorefest but found a nice mix of open and wooded holes that offered both chances to air out a drive and opportunities to thread a disc between two treelines.
This is really an excellent beginner course. While later holes are either open or wooded, we start out with two holes that are in between. Open holes with one or two narrow gaps each, they force straight throws, but aren't overly difficult. 3 and 7 are open bombs of 350 and 440 feet respectively. Nice chances to watch the flight of the disc. 5 and 8 are wooded but overly tight. They sport distances in the 200s and variety to the course. No thick underbrush, a new player will likely add strokes but not frustration to his round on these.
Overall the course provides a nice introduction to various aspects of the game and for nine holes, boasts incredible variety.
Cons: 4 and 6. There is so much space at the park and there are only nine holes. Does one of them(6) need to be 80 feet? Does one of them need to be them need to feature a weird layup to get to the mouth of the woods? Why couldn't the 4 tee be right at the opening to the woods? That first stretch exposes beginners to the only really nasty piece of shule on the course and must confuse them about where they are trying to throw.
Other Thoughts: For an experienced player, it isn't going to be memorable but it will be a quick round and the location is so accessible that it's tempting to stop and warm up for another course or just get a break during a long day of travel.

Good utilization of land

2-4    8/28/2015   9/1/2015
Review By: sc2sick
Pros: Made good use of the space
Variety of holes in and out of the woods
Made me focus on my lines and not on power
Cons: Hole 5 had a drop off to the right that I didn't see when I went for my drive.. yes I made a bad shot but had I known about the 6 food cliff type drop I'd have played it short and straight for safety.. while looking for my disc I came across a few sections of unmarked barbed wire.. not thrilled about that.
Other Thoughts: I lost my disc my first time playing on hole 5.. I ended up finding it when playing through another round later that day.. I'm not a fan of that barbed wire being there at all.. it should be dealt with for safety.

Fun 9 Hole Loop

1    5/8/2015   5/8/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 5/10/2015
Pros: This is a very well kept 9 hole course in the middle of a nice recreational park. As far as 9 hole courses go, I realy had a lot of fun here.

The course, though only 9 holes, actually asks for a lot of different shots. It is fun to see true variety, and even a deccent par 4, on a 9 hole loop. About half of the holes are straight away in long, wide open fields. The others are (mostly) well designed wooded tunnel shots that give ample opportunity for birdie but fairly punish a wayward throw.

Very nice concrete tee pads. Baskets are DISCatchers that appear well worn but in good shape.

Hole 4 is a great hole that starts off in an open field by the creek and cuts into the old oaks. The basket is in a really pretty clearing. It is a technically demanding but really fun holes.

The baskets in the trees are really nice. The brush and trees are trimmed perfectly to let light in and keep the area from looking cluttered.

This is a really nice park course. Tons of amenities, restroom facilities, vending, etc. and a lot of recreational area which would make this a great family park.
Cons: The obvious - only 9 holes.

Basket for hole 2 is a little bent.

Navigation to the course is a bit difficult as there really isn't any clear guidance to the course from the park entrance. Luckily one of the locals guided me. Go to the Magnolia pavilion and follow the path around it to the left. There you will find the kiosk/hole 1 tee.

I think 5 could be redesigned a bit. The fence/creek is really close to the basket and given the S shape of the hole, it is a very very difficult shot demanded off of that tee.

Hole 6 tee sign is missing and i walked straight past the tee because it was covered in a light coating of dirt.
Other Thoughts: For such a nice park it is a shame that this course hasn't been flushed out into a full 18 holer.

Overall this course isn't too friendly to RHFH or LHBH throwers.

Park itself is a nice reminder to thank the people that have sacrificed to let us live our lives the way we do. This town has dedicated a park to thanking our veterans, which is something we all do far too infrequently.

Decent 9 hole course

5+    6/3/2014   6/4/2014
Review By: Khilty
Pros: This is a good course to just run through and brush up, it offers a few long shots 3,7&9 and the rest of the course is in the woods. Good sinage easy to navigate. Ace hole on 6, easy ace if you throw right. Usually not crowded
Cons: No benches at tee pads, not a lot of variation. The jogging trail runs through the dg course and can sometimes be a factor.
Other Thoughts: Like the title says its a decent 9 hole course that plays well and you can run through it fast.

Decent little course

1    8/16/2013   8/17/2013
Review By: pfpro
This review was updated on 8/25/2013
Pros: - Within 5 minutes of I-85
- For being a beginner course, decent lengths on a majority of the holes. (It averages 294').
- Mix of open and wooded holes.
- Nice, clean park
- Decent signs (distance and next hole location - but park isn't that difficult to navigate).
Cons: - Some of the open holes are boring
- only 1 tee pad (so you can't turn into 18 different tee shots - although if you played it enough, I'm sure you could find/make "pro" pads).
- Minimal disc golf amenities (benches, etc).
- Some holes in close proximity to other park amenities.
- Times - park doesn't open early.
Other Thoughts: So - I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, BUT, *EDITED OUT*

I was itching to play, so I checked this course out. I had minimal expectations. There are so many other courses to choose from - definitely not a destination course. I liked holes 1, 5 and 8. I would have liked 4, except I was thinking "don't throw right, there's water, don't throw right" and guess where I threw my first shot (since I started play on 4). 7 and 9 are open field shots (boring, IMO). 3 at least has some distance for being an open field shot. Convenient enough to be a warm-up course (or to play it to mark it off the list). If I lived in one of the houses across the street, I would play it often. If I had beginners, I would recommend they try to course - otherwise check out other, better courses. Additional tees, and 9 "quality" holes would have gained another half point each. For what it was, it's reasonable.

Good warm up course

1    6/3/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Good course for beginners to learn the game of disc golf.
There is one ace hole.
Also, there's one big bomber hole over 400 ft.
Course is quick to play if you don't have much time.
Mix of wide open and wooded holes.
Course is easy to navigate.
Course is well maintained at all times.
Course is in a safe area.
Course has restrooms. Playgrounds, vending machines, and other amenities.
Cons: Joggers can get in the way at times.
Only 9 holes.
Not much of a variety of shots needed.
No elevation change.
Course can get muddy after rain.
Other Thoughts: If you live nearby, its a good course to play as a warm up or if you are short on time. One of the better 9 hole courses in the area. It's a step up from Dorton in my opinion. Course is most suited for RHBH players.

Nice 9 Holer!!

5+    11/17/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: Commish
Pros: Nice long holes. Couple of wide open holes. A short hole thats ace-able! Nice concrete tees.
Cons: JOGGERS!! There is an actual jogging path, but these runners think the disc golf course is their path!! They will run right by you as your are running up the tee box to throw. Other than that, nothin!

Strictly 9-TuneUp

5+    10/6/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: St0rmbringer
This review was updated on 7/26/2013
Pros: Work right and left turns. Work on threading the needle. Give it a ride on #3 and #7 (unless you're a disc cannon).
Mix of open and wooded. Never crowded.
Cons: This summer, the over-abundance of rain has done TWO nasty things to this course: ditches are full but can't hold all the water -- the viny undergrowth grows a foot a day.
Other Thoughts: Course was originally planned to be 18.
Parks Dept ran out of funds before they finished.
Plans to finish the course have been shelved. Instead, a championship-quality course is slated for nearby Frank Liske Park. Reportedly, 18 holes with two longer than 800'.
Don't dis N Cabarrus. It's a really good 9-hole. It's not Bradford or Brackett's but it's not Dorton either.
Park closes at 5 in the winter and 8 in the summer.
BIG NEWS! As a result of suggestions made by tournament participants, #4 has had the left side bamboo trimmed! It's still tough, but possible.

By the way, there have been 4 unsanctioned, but fun tournaments here.

It will do.

5+    8/9/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: mlondon89
Pros: Well for me it's my home course. It's less than two miles down the road. Fairly short but some great shots that really make you think and put some touch on your throw. Hole three is a wide open par 4 that gives you a chance to really rip one without fear of losing it. Great warm up or short on time course!
Cons: While the course isn't usually to busy the park is usually decently filled with runners. There trail winds the course the whole way. During the winter it is very wet!
Other Thoughts: I play this course several times a week since it is close and I'm always short on time. I have heard it is suppose to become an 18 hole soon. I sure hope so!

Warm Up for the Big Boys

1    7/22/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Fun layout in a great park setting. North Cabarrus provides a great warm-up for a day of disc golf in Charlotte. Demands accuracy, but there are a couple of open holes, including one that you can open up a bit (nothing high speed, but it IS over 400 feet). Still not for big arms, but not as short as Dorton Park.

The layout is pretty easy to follow -- I only got turned around once, and that was because I wasn't paying attention. Good signage, good tee pads.
Cons: Only nine holes (which is supposed to change soon, I guess).

Other Thoughts: I played North Cabarrus as a warm-up, so it was pretty early in the day. I had the course to myself, which was nice -- I was able to really warm up, and throw multiple shots on most of the holes. My GPS took me the wrong way because of construction on Orphanage Road (you have to get onto Orphanage Rd and head west to get to the park, which means turning right as you get off 85N).

North Cab and Dorton Park have the disadvantage of being in Charlotte, among courses like Renny and Hornet's Nest. In that way, the two nine holers don't quite measure up -- there's only so much you can do with a nine hole layout, after all. There's really not much that can be done short of completing the back nine to bump this course up. It really has everything I want from a nine hole course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4