Guelph, ON
Hole #6 Blue Tee

a nice college diversion

1    7/14/2010   10/10/2010
Review By: Pete and Vendy
Pros: This course was very well maintained and it's hard to lose a disc there.
A large map by hole #1 gives you the course layout so you won't waste your time searching for tees or pins.
The shots are not too difficult but are fun and still challenging enough for repeated play.
There's a nice arboretum with walking paths nearby.
Inexpensive.
Cons: Only 9 holes which lowers my rating.

Beautiful Park

1    8/2/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Very well maintained, serene and scenic park with excellent tee signs.
Cons: The walk from #5 to #6 was long. If I hadn't run into a local it would have been very difficult to find.

Also, early on there are several holes in one area and it was tough figuring out which tee went with which basket without walking over to the tee and investigating. If this course ever gets crowded I could see this area becoming a problem since the fairways play very close to one another.
Other Thoughts: Finding this course was a true challenge. After managing to actually find the arboretum, I walked around for a while and came up empty so I got back in the car and left. At that point, I happened to notice a basket by the road and the hunt was once again on. I re-entered the arboretum and again, I was unable to find tee #1 anywhere near a parking lot. Back out to the main road and I parked off on the shoulder by the basket I saw and after a bit more hunting I found tee #1. There isn't a parking lot anywhere close to the first tee so I parked across the street by some maintenance building. I have since updated the directions and put in the first tee latitude/longitude. If you're coming here be sure to click "Map Location" and take note of where the first tee is.

So, now that the story of finding this course has been told, how about some more thoughts on the course itself? Other than the few navigation issues, this was a surprisingly good course. Maintenance on the course is second to none and it really is a beautiful park/arboretum. The course has just enough trees to present a decent challenge and for those not up to it, there are always the red tees. Elevation is one thing you won't find at Magnolia, it plays relatively flat for the most part but the holes are designed well enough that you won't miss the hills.

This is one of the few courses in the area but I doubt the place ever sees a large crowd as it is tough to find and then there's the question of where to park. It would be a LONG walk from one of the other arboretum parking lots. Then again, I went during the summer so maybe it's busier when the near by university is in session.

I really enjoyed my round here and I'd obviously recommend this course if you're in the this area or passing near by plus it's not like you're inundated with disc golf options out here. Would I recommend making a special trip just to play here? Probably not. It's a great 9 hole course, no question about it and if there were ever a 9 hole course worth traveling for this one would be on the list. But in the end, it's still only 9 holes. I guess you could play it twice but I have a hard time justifying long trips for courses with less than 18 holes.