Kerrville, TX
Schreiner University Share
Uploaded By: plus4db   (Taken 5/2009)
Since there are no tees, markers, or basket numbers, here is a shot of the property.

Some solid holes. If you can find them

1    7/17/2016   7/22/2016
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: I pulled up to the university and saw another disc golfer finishing on the fifth basket. I parked next to him and it was quite apparent on where Hole 6 was. I was impressed by Hole 6, and I thought that course would exceed my mostly low expectations from reading previous reviews.

Past hole 6, the course had some solid holes. Hole 5 was a lot of fun, hole 4 was kind of cool. I honestly thought there was just no chance to find any tees around but I was mistaken. I could find most tees and most baskets from using the map posted here on DGCR.

When I went and played, the grass was semi short. I have seen other courses with much higher grass. Finding discs was not an issue. There is a fair amount of elevation on the course and a few water hazards that are not completely overbearing.
Cons: As mentioned in every review, the tees are laughably bad. A lot of the gravel that was on the tee box has been washed out revealing black tarp for the tees.

Even with a map, navigation is sure horrendous. I played from random spots that I thought looked like where the tee was on the map, but I could have been missing the tees all together.

Since this course is not played often, it felt neglected with longer than ideal grass, broken baskets and missing tees.
Other Thoughts: I think this is a great piece of land, so it is a shame that the course is not used or taken care of like it should be. I had a little bit of fun here, but probably would not return unless there was some serious DIY done. DGCR says a 1.5 rate course is "Passable" and that is a perfect description of what Schreiner University has to offer.

I'm lost, but I found tee #1

1    6/7/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: Amp'd X
Pros: The only place to play (sort of).
Cons: As the previous player stated, get to #1 tee and get confused immediately. I won't restate his comments as he's dead on. Course is un mowed and un maintained currently. Basket #1 apparently served as a dam and is piled up and filled with tree debris.
Other Thoughts: The recent rains have left the course unmaintained and the creek flowing like a small river. If a disc lands in the creek it's gone forever. Found #1 basket after skipping the "first" hole due to risk and crossing the creek to find #2 tee and winging it to what turned out to be basket #1, returned to #2 tee and couldn't locate the basket so we threw to what turned out to be basket #4, confused, yeah us too. ? Found # 5 tee and basket but were unable to complete the hole because there was no place to cross the creek nearby. Had to give up at this point and return to the truck. This area has huge potential and is a great place for disc golf, but has failed to meet even the minimum standards for a playable course to us.

Thank God for The Local Who Gave Me Directions!

1    4/1/2015   4/1/2015
Pros: My round at Schreiner College DGC started off a little rockily. I managed to locate the course without any problem. Drove into a parking lot and found the first tee pad (they are useless). It's pointed right a basket just across he ditch about 175' away, a nice little anhyzer! I think to myself, a cool little starting hole. I park my drive and when I walk to the tee box nearby it says # 3. I'm already lost??? I try to play # 3 and realize I'm hopelessly lost and confused? Luckily, therre was one other guy and his girl on the course and they gave me directions....mostly!

The # 1 pad doesn't exactly face the # 1 basket. It really faces the # 2 basket. Actually, # 1 is a sweet hole. It's probably 350' slight anhyzer shot around this big ole tree and then you have to cross the dry creek bed to the basket tucked up amongst some trees.
# 2 is kinda cool too. You're throwing over the dry bed again. A tree protects the basket somewhat. It's easy to hit this tree and get knocked down into the creek bed. Which, by the way, if you would ever play this course with water in this creek, would totally change the challenge and danger of the course!
The holes are long in general. I think they're longer than they need to be for a college course/ This course could be 1/2 as long and college students would enjoy it more. Case in point...The couple who gave me directions,,,the girl threw maybe 100 feet. She doesn't need 725 ft. holes. Who exactly was this course designed for?
Cons: The teepads are downright awful. Like a previous reviewer noted, whoever built these pads didn't know what he was doing. They're too small, gravel and built above the ground. You can see that everyone just tees off next to them.
Basket # 1 is an obvious replacement. It's a thinner guage with single chains. So far it has been vandalized but I'm betting it won't hold up. # 2 is also a single chain model.
Navigation is a nightmare. I think I ended up missing # 7.
Other Thoughts: The course has some fun and interesting holes. # 4 was a fun tee off. # 5 was also an interesting hole. The wind was blowing hard today which made a couple of long holes seem really long.
This is just another course where I think the designer(s might have missed their target audience. I think college students learningto play the game want to have success not be frustrated with 725 ft. holes.

Enjoyable, but Confusing, Course

5+    10/20/2012   10/20/2012
Review By: markmcc
This review was updated on 9/13/2016
Pros: Nice selection of distances and terrain. About half of the holes require working around/through trees, with the other half being pretty open. The creek is often dry, but creates some good elevation differences. Hole 4 tees off from the highest point and sails the drive across the creek and to a basket at the end of a grove of trees. Hole 5 is 725' long and gives a chance to air it out a little.

I've played this course dozens of times and seldom see another disc golfer. Shame.
Cons: I gave this course a 3 when I first reviewed it a few years ago, but it has done nothing but deteriorate since then.

Navigation is impossible if you don't already know the course or print out the map.

The tee boxes are worthless, and are now falling apart. Everyone just tees off from beside them.

There is a mixture of baskets with a couple missing chains, but all were usable.

The course crosses the creek several times, and it is tricky to figure out how/where to cross. When the creek has water it becomes a significant factor.
Other Thoughts: The 9 holes on the course are actually pretty decent and challenging. But with no signs, no usable tees, and difficult navigation (impossible for a first timer without a map) this course could really use some TLC.

The Puzzle Course

2-4    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: TheBearcat
Pros: The course has a good mix of easy holes and average holes. Good for beginners but not so easy that an experienced player wouldnt have a good time. Its the only course in Kerrville so it can be labeled as the best one in town ;)
Cons: Tee boxes suck and are made of gravel. Much easier to just throw from the side of the boxes. The course is pretty difficult to figure out if you go play it for the first time without someone who knows it already. Also, there are no maps or signs that show what the hole looks like. The tee boxes are numbered but not all the baskets are. A few of the baskets are kinda hidden so LOOK LOOK LOOK!
Other Thoughts: Don't go out and expect to just start from the 1st hole. Walk the course and figure it out. Im thinking about bringing a sharpie and just drawing the numbers on the baskets.
DOWNLOAD THE PICTURE OF THE COURSE BEFORE YOU PLAY! WILL HELP TONS!

Pretty fun course.

2-4    10/31/2010   11/3/2010
Review By: ATXdiscgolfer
Pros: Challenging but not too hard.

Good basket placement overall.

Hardly anyone there so you can enjoy a very quiet round.

Decent amount of change in elevation and a couple small water hazards which keep things interesting.

Best hole: #5
Longest hole on the course which requires a strong drive and good aim to stay away from a few hazards.
Cons: Very disorienting course if it's your first time playing.
Get a local to help you out because in many situations you think it's the basket in plain that you're supposed to be throwing towards when really, it's way far off and out of view.

Tee pads were obviously made by someone who doesn't know much about disc golf. They're very small, raised off the ground and aren't even aiming the right direction in several spots which just adds to the confusion. They also used some weird soft gravel which you slip in when teeing off.

Lots of sticker burrs so make sure you wear long pants.

Worst hole: #8
The low lying branches sticking off of the tree are very deceiving so throw low.
Other Thoughts: Even though the tee pads suck, they at least now have them so you now know where to start from.

It's a fun, long 9 hole and totally worth a visit if you're in the area and have some time to kill.

Its a whole new course!

5+    10/20/2010   10/20/2010
Review By: spellfish
This review was updated on 6/17/2011
Pros: The entire course has been redone, with gravel tee pads and marked goals 9 of them! Soon there will be stepping stone bridges all over the creek. Very fun and playable... par is 32.
Cons: The gravel tee boxes are hard to throw from so we usually just play from the side of them.
Other Thoughts: Keep watching this course for more improvements.

Not much there but baskets and potential

1    5/19/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: plus4db
Pros: This is a compact course on a beautiful campus in the center of Kerrville, Texas. It is near food, lodging, and other activities. It is an 8 basket course with quite a bit of potential. There are some excellent possible tee locations and interesting and challenging basket locations. The baskets are well maintained Mach I. There is a creek that could play on four or five holes, but there isn't any water in it. is that still O.B.? The best I can say for it is that there are actual baskets and hazards.
Cons: There are no tees, tee markers, or basket numbers. I tried to locate a map, but no one knew what I was talking about. I asked three campus employees for help in locating the course and in each case it took a couple of minutes for them to understand what I was asking. Each said, "Oh! you mean the place where they throw the Frisbees!" I don't think the course gets much use. All eight "holes" are contained in a field of weeds and wild grasses that, although are quite short, are full of burs that will get in your shoes. Ouch! Without a course layout I made up my own course and thought that with a little attention it could be a great course.
Other Thoughts: Schreiner University is a small, quiet Presbyterian school. There is a little white chapel near two of the baskets. The property could make for a very good course. It was fun to try to look at it from a design point of view. If you have ever wanted to design a course, this would be a great place to start. The course marker in the DGCR map is a little misleading. It is actually located at the corners of Broadway and Travis. Park near the white chapel and you won't need to drive through the maze of roads on campus. I saw some obvious and pretty cool possible tee locations. If you play, just create you own course. The University clearly has money. it is a shame that they don't spend a very small amount and add another basket, some tee pads, and markers. If you are in town or driving by on I-10 and you just want to take a break and throw a little, it is a good place to go. At this point that is about all it is good for.