Grand Rapids, MN
Itasca Community College DGC Share
Uploaded By: hide08 Hole #4 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 251ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

From the Maker

5+    7/1/2010   9/28/2010
Review By: carlsost
Pros: -The only place to play near Grand Rapids.
-Well maintained grounds.
Cons: -Homemade baskets are flimsey
-Short holes
-Not a lot of variety
Other Thoughts: My friend and I designed and constructed this course while attending the engineering school at Itasca community college. I'll be the first to admit it's many flaws.

There were many constraints that kept us from making a bigger, better, course. Most of the land around the campus is owned by the university of Minnesota and we were unable to get their permisson to build on the land. Land belonging to ICC has many trees and the grounds people didn't want students trampling the tree roots. For these reason, all of the holes had to be out in the open. As a result, we had very little room to work with.

As for the flimsey tees, we welded them from scratch with a budget of less than 2,000 dollars and a time period of less than 4 months. We did it volunarily out of our love for Disc golf. Trying to find time to work on them between classes was very difficult. They weren't as sturdy as we had hoped. The baskets in particular are very flimsey.

In the end, i think the course turned out pretty good for the limited time and resources we had at our disposal. Very few people had even heard of disc golf in Grand Rapids before we built that course. I know it's got many flaws but i'm really proud to hear people are giving it a try.

7/10/2008   7/10/2008
Review By: marcusriewer
Pros: I like how the course is right on campus. It was easy to find the first six holes. The grass was cut to a short length, making it easy to see your disc after throwing it. The sign at the beginning of the course stating why the course was there and how it became was very interesting.
Cons: The baskets were not engineered perfectly allowing discs to fall out ocassionally. It took a little investigating to find hole number seven. After finding hole seven, I didn't like how it interweaved between buildings and sidewalks of the school, making it inconvienent while school is in session.
Other Thoughts: If the baskets were improved and the last three holes were moved more into the open, this would be a better couse to play. I also like how the couse is all designed by the students.

Grand Rapids

7/6/2008   7/6/2008
Review By: mike_riewer
Pros: Very easy to get to and find the first hole. Home-made baskets are not too bad, some of the better I have played.
Cons:
Most of the holes were very short. They did not have distance markers on the tee off so I can't give exact distances. The tee off pads are narrow and were at one time mulch, but are now worn. Finding hole seven was difficult. (Behind engineering building)
Course was designed by students which makes it unique. The baskets were also designed and made at the college. I appreciate the effort to bring disc golf to the area. To improve the course, I would move the back three holes which become very short and crammed into the middle of the campus. Make better bottoms on the baskets. (some gaps are too big and allow discs to occasionally to slip though) Finally redo the tee off's making them cement.