Great for Beginners
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This course was one of the very first disc golf courses I have ever played. Compared to other courses in the area.
1. This is a really easy to navigate course.
2. Tees are concrete and course is well maintained.
3. Decent variation of holes, Mildy wooded, some open, up hill, downhill etc.
4. Short holes great for beginners.
5. No risk of losing any discs.
Cons: 1. The course is only 9 short holes.
2. Some of the holes can become very muddy after rainfall.
Other Thoughts: This is truly a great beginner course for those newbies such as me. There is enough variation to learn your discs and learn different elements of the game. Overall good easy course.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Enjoyed Playing This Course
Pros: A few creative holes. Easy to navigate. Easy to find parking lot if you're going there for the first time. Good mix of shot types and some elevation changes and water.
Cons: Pretty average course. Will be easy for 900+ rated player.
Other Thoughts: Worth playing if you're already in the area. Not a destination course in and of itself.
Pros: Nice concrete teepads. Well kept course and park. Grass is well maintained. Possible ace run on every hole. Would be difficult to shoot over on this course.
Cons: The only con I would have to say is no real signage for the holes. You can see the basket from every teepad, so no real need for signs.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely play the course again if in the area.
Good Practice course
Pros: Well Maintained, Easy flow from hole to hole. Multiple elevation changes. Good place to practice.
Cons: Relatively Short, Straight Holes. Chains are a little rusty. Not a lot of challenge, but again, good for practice.
great little course
Pros: well kept course. not too difficult. easy to find the tee pads and baskets.
Cons: course backs up to a school, so during school hours you might not want to play it.
Other Thoughts: no water or heavy brush on this course so you're not going to lose any discs. never seen this place crowded. a lot of fun if you're still working on your game.
Pros: Fun course for any player at any skill level.
Lots of unique holes that you wont see at other courses.
Like the concrete pads
Well kept course for the most part.
Cons: Too short, Too easy.
Kind of hard to find the course
Course is very hard to navigate from hole to hole. I even played hole 7 out of order on accident.
Bad indicators pointing from hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: Had a good time but the course just needs more. I would say play it because it is very unique compared to most other courses, but if you really want to play a good course go to one of the others in the area.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: GREAT elevation changes
No way to lose discs at all
Never muddy, great drainage.
Good basket locations
Cons: Course is nearly on school grounds
Other Thoughts: Very short and simple course the main thing making is any good is its elevation changes. I would not go out of my way to play it but if you are in the area I would give it a shot. Below is a short description of the holes
1 Straight open shot, basket is behind to tree you have to shoot through or around to get to.
2 Is my favorite hole here, you shoot down a large hill towards a basket behind some tree. You can go 1 of 2 ways shoot shot the hill or through straight over the trees.
3 Another straight forward hole saved by elevation changes. You shoot up a hill while avoiding a couple of trees.
4 To the left and right of the thee are tree you must shoot through into a open field shot for a the basket.
5 Straight shot with basket on the side of a small hill.
6 Down hill shot with some tree to the right.
7 Hardest hole on the course tons of tree to throw through.
8 Down hill around a few trees
9 Straight shot big open hole.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Impressive Beginner Course
Pros: Having never played here, I expected much worse based on the comments of pros I know who are unwilling to play here because it is a beginner course that is too easy for them.
Much to my surprise, this course offers some of the best elevation changes in DFW.
Additionally, while the holes are not long, the foliage and elevation combine to yield lines that, with wind, should provide a fun challenge for almost anyone who can't simply circumvent all obstacles and park every hole with a 250 foot overhead shot.
When nearby Paschall was a sea of mud, Porter proved nice and dry. That's not to say it doesn't need a day or two to dry out after a lot fo rain, but it doesn't keep mud as long as Paschall. But the day after a rain, BB Owen is the only park in the area that will be free of mud, and that's only if the pins all get moved short as they tend to do there after rain.
Teepads, signs, and baskets are good to go.
Not too busy. Clean, safe, and fun.
No water to lose discs in.
Cons: No water to lose discs in :P
Only 9 pins is OK, but lack of dual tees? Dual tees would really add value to this course, especially if they provide different, and not just longer, looks at the baskets.
No parking lot or bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: Porter DGC is probably the best beginner course I've ever encountered, and a fun time for all but the most advanced players. If it had dual tees, I'd definitely give it the 3.5 that I want to give it. I plan to play here whenever the other courses in the area are muddy, and maybe play a little safari golf or add my own tee positions to provide what I'm looking for in terms of variety and replay value.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
quick and easy.
Pros: this course offers great variety when it comes to elevation shifts. It is an easy course and though I would still consider myself new I shot one under par here. Lots of oppertunities for an ace here as well,( my brother hit the top of hole 5 today) over all lots of fun
Cons: Not the most challenging course. It is hard to feel really good about yourself after doing well on this course.
Other Thoughts: I have a hard time rating this course. Super fun, no poison ivy, hard to lose a disc and all holes have something interesting going for it. It is hard for me not to give this a 4 or higher...
All that being said it is only a nine hole course and if it were to have an additional 9 in the same manner this would be a very popular course for newbees.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
get schooled in DG
Pros: Good local course if you live in the local neighborhood. See my full review below.
Cons: Close to school, be wary of proximity to children during school hours.
Other Thoughts: This is my disc golf course rating system. Each element of the course is worth ˝ disc for a total of 10, ˝ disc units or 5 full discs of rating.
My 10 categories are:
1. Quality of tee pads.
2. Quality of signage, both individual hole signs as well as a sign board and course layout at the hole one beginning location.
3. Course amenities. Benches at tees, garbage cans on course, disc bag posts/hooks, next tee arrows, etc.
4. Overall park amenities. Things like bathrooms, drinking fountains, playground areas, anything that improves the overall location.
5. Overall use of available terrain features. How well did the designers use what they had to work with?
6. Changes in elevation. Some courses have this occurring naturally. Others have created it. Either way it is vital that a good course is beyond flat… even in Iowa or Nebraska.
7. Variety of hole length. Is it mixed up? Some long, some short. Keep things interesting.
8. Tee and basket options. Are there tee options and/or alternate basket locations? Can the course be played different on different visits?
9. Signature hole? Is there one hole in specific that leaves an impression? Creates a unique memory?
10. Fun Factor - Purely subjective on my part. Did I have fun?
Porter park, Mesquite, TX
1. Yes. Good tee pads.
2. Yes. Good signage on posts. No main map. Next tee indicators on baskets. Easy to navigate course.
3. No. Park amenities are good, but course specific amenities are absent.
4. No. Overall nice clean park, but since it is basically attached to the school, no real park amenities.
5. Yes. Quite well done here. Nice use of the creek like areas. Could have used central tree area more, but this might subject it to much traffic/trampeling and that would be a shame.
6. Yes. Existing elevation and terrain is incorporated well into course layout.
7. No. Mostly all are just longer than short… low end of mid length holes.
8. No. No tee or basket choices are offered.
9. No. No real sig hole here.
10. Yes. I had fun. Good, basic course for one on a school grounds. Use care when playing during the day when school is in session. Fun to play, but there is better golf close by.
Rating = 5 yes, 5 no = 2.5 disc rating
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.