Monterey, CA
3 / 252ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Mixed feelings

1    5/17/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a sprawling park with no interference from other park uses. The course makes good use of nice elevation changes, nothing drastic but you will have to throw some uphill and downhill shots. There are a couple pin placements with some rollaway potential as well.

A number of the holes play through the trees on the property. You'll have to shape some lines and avoid the mature oaks to score well on these holes. I felt like they offered a pretty good balance of hole shapes with some nice low ceilings for added challenge. The rest of the course is open and longer, offering plenty of chances to bomb a drive and some scattered rough to punish some errant drives.
Cons: The grass was long on a lot of this course. I find it a bit frustrating when you have to search for a disc in the middle of the fairway, and I don't think prairie grass provides a great disc golf challenge as the rough off the fairway. The course is a little open for my tastes.

With a lot of holes where there just isn't a ton of punishment for throwing an errant drive I didn't feel like I had a ton of pressure on most of the tees. Navigation is a little tricky in spots, some next tee signs would go a long way here. The third nine feels added on and doesn't have the same level of challenge or fun as the other 18.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course pretty long, with a lot of holes that are out of range to reach on a drive but are open enough that it's easy to card a boring three. More experienced players with a longer arm will enjoy the chance to air out some drives, but technical challenges aren't the main focus of this course at all.

Potential to be great

1    6/27/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: CubbieBlue
Pros: Distances varied tremendously which is great, plenty of ace runs, never anybody there (good and bad/sad), lots of open room on most holes to work with. FREE
Cons: Hard to find where to park the first time there and could definitely use a dg sign off the main street if the city allows, overgrown tremendously if you don't have someone else with you don't bother playing, I spent close to two hours of my round looking for two lost discs, definitely leaves a sour taste in your mouth for the course. Lots of holes don't have cleared out set fairways, sign distances aren't entirely accurate, hard finding where the next tee box was, basket #'s weren't entirely accurate, lack of trash containers around which led to trash all over the course especially hole 3.
Other Thoughts: Even though I had a disappointing first round at this course I can see potential. If the club really worked on this course, clearing out, signing the course better and cleaning up it could be one of the top courses in the state, whoever designed the course you could tell knew what they were doing and made the holes a lot of fun with a mixture of tough and easier holes. Good luck guys!

mediocre

1    4/9/2009   9/27/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: Excellent course up to 18. moderate mix of challenges. Great course for a group of friends to spend a day playing quite long and open. Bring some water and if your out of shape what a great way to get back into it!
Cons: After 18 the course just was back and forth in a field, sort of lame. holes not well marked even with map it was quite difficult.
Other Thoughts: The rough was pretty rough so long pants and or gators for those darned wild grass burrs that lined my boots. If your at DeLa and want to sample some other courses add this to your list but skip the last 9.

Nice course.

1    1/20/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: DuBose
Pros: Beautiful course plays through some nice hills. Nice mix of elevated tee pads or elevated baskets. Hole #3 is kind of like a mini 'top of the world' from Santa Cruz. I really like how the easier holes are at the beginning of the course and the longer more difficult holes are towards the end. Nice mix of really short holes to very long. I think the way hole #12 plays 520' around trees and uphill, compares with Novato's 1000' hole. Most tee pads had thick rubber mats nailed down and almost all of the baskets had numbers on them. The map that I printed from the Links/Files was very helpful. The layout from previous hole to the next tee pad is laid out very well except for #4 and #11. Even without signs I was able to navigate pretty easily with the printed map. I was the only player out there. This did not make me lonely, it meant NO WAITING! It was almost like having my own personal course. Very cool.
Cons: No signs showing distance and pin placement. Many holes did have rocks with the distance written on them. Some tee pads were missing the rubber mats. No benches or trash cans but that's not really a big deal. The 3-4 and 10-11 thing is silly. I know that 27 holes are the plans but it seems like you could make a great 18 first and then add 8 later. I would like to see sharper turning right and left holes. Parking is a problem also. I parked in the parking lot ignoring the employee only parking. If I lived in town and was able to play this course more I would not feel comfortable parking there.

Other Thoughts: Seeing that this is a new course, I think that they have done an awesome job. It's a great location for a course and the scenery is awesome. The mix of holes has been put together nicely. I am really looking forward to returning to this course and seeing the progress as it continues to mature. The potential here is unlimited. Having 5 courses in a smaller populated area like Monterey is pretty amazing. I only had time to play this one and one other. If I only had time to play 1 course next time that I was in town, I would play this one before the other one and even trying the other three. I suggest you print the map, take some water and try and give yourself enough time to play 2 rounds. Did I mention no waiting.

Dry, dry, dry

2-4    10/17/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: beauzen
Pros: This has some real potential. There were some good/challenging holes.
Cons: Needs signage and tee pads. A couple of prison shots.
Other Thoughts: The walkout from 10-11 is rather ridiculous. I never did find the tee for hole #10. You may not get to park at hole #1 (locked gate), but can drive 'around the block' (back down the hill, to the south, back up a hill and back to the north) and park in a business park near hole #15.

Long with rolling hillls

1    8/8/2008   9/2/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This course has a few memorable holes. Number three is a big down hill bomb that offers you an opportunity to make a long run at it! There is a hole on the back nice called "the planet of the apes" hole that dog legs through some of the highest thickest thorny undergrowth I've ever had to walk through. Do not be like me people, stay on the fairway for the "Planet of the Apes Hole." A few memorable up hill shots that make a challenge out of bombing it up hill and below very mature oak canopy. 16 is nice, being able to make a run while the basket is guarded by trees.
Cons: The course is long, mostly open and arid, and as a result somewhat boring. When I played, the fire danger was extremely high, you could set the entire town on fire by using a metal putter (if they make those) and sparking one off the chains. A person would be beyond irresponsible to smoke on this course. There are some crazy long walks from basket to tee box (3-4 & 10-11). There are no signs telling you distance or directions, just the occasional rock with feet written on them with sharpie. Dirt tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: I write the pros and cons as of early August o8, the map I got from this site states that there are plans for changes in the future, and I do not doubt that those changes will come since there was ample evidence of a local disc club. My feeling is that if the course does get the nine more holes that the map eludes to and they get signage up, this course could be top notch. As it is, I'd be happy to go back and play Ryan Ranch next time I am in the area.