Monterey, CA
Ryan Ranch DGC Share
Uploaded By: Tonyofthsee Hole #5 (Taken 3/2009)
3 / 175ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Fairway

1 2 3 Next >
 Jelly Jammin at RR

2-4    4/5/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: Peterb
Pros: Every Shot in the book: long, short, medium, up, down, flat, left, right, excellent design, nice setting, gorgeous oak trees, pin settings, and tee locations. It can be windy (i see that as a positive)!
Cons: Poison Oak (par for this part of the country), tee pads aren't done yet, lots of high grass and weeds. They need to take a bush hog out there and get rid of most of the high stuff, as it's real easy to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: This is a work in progress, and I would like to recognize the fabulous job the Monterey Jellies have done out there: the tournament was fantastic. Championship quality course on fantastic terrain. The normal 27 hole layout is subject to change: 36 is not only possible, but probable as we played it in the tourney.

Diamond in the rough....

1    3/26/2009   3/31/2009
Review By: Buzzzsaw
Pros: Ryan Ranch has tons of variety as far as length and elevation. It is a great course for accurate long arms. The local club, the Monterey Stinging Jellies, has done a ton of work clearing out fairways (including poison oak). The scenery is awesome and the adjacent airport has landings every few minutes that provides come cool effects.
Cons: Had a tour with the course designer last week... if not, it would be somewhat difficult to navigate. Discs can easily get lost here with some thick grass, bush, etc.
Other Thoughts: It really helps to be able to throw accurately past the 400ft barrier here. However, there are also some easy birds if you can throw precisely inside of 300ft. Make the trip to Ryan Ranch! Once this course is broken in, I can see Monterey hosting Worlds in a few years.

5+    2/27/2009   2/27/2009
Review By: progolfer
This review was updated on 3/13/2009
Pros: tuff lay out when the wind pick up spotter or need not the one man go play round disc will be tuff to find by your self and time will fly nice long holes for likeing get your wraiths ready and tame it right
Cons: easy to lose disc and high grass but hey it,s new after about 2,000 people play the course it will be great and it already fine also lots of ticks stay out of the bush
Other Thoughts: had no problems reaching all the hole they had not being cocky but miss alot of birdie putts today

Give it time and this will be the Mecca

1    2/5/2009   2/9/2009
Review By: blackskies
Pros: A lot of variety.Uphill shots, downhill shots ect.
Beautiful setting. LOTS of room. Uphill shots, downhill shots.Technical enough that you have to use different discs to actually see what they and you are made of. You will have a good story after playing the course
Cons: Parking - There pretty much isn't any
Discs- Be prepared to search or lose one or two
Distance between tees- Long
Location - Hard to locate but is worth it once you do
Markers- For this hole there might be one on a rock, on this one maybe on a piece of wood or maybe not at all.
You may have to be Ken Climo to par this course. Oh and poison oak, wear pants.
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate enough to run into people that have played the course before and I joined them. I found out you can park right by the first tee if you have a code to the gate. Other wise you have to fight for parking in a lot filled with workers at some building.
I read a review about the Don Dahvee course and someone described it roughly as; a project for the builders and their friends. I kind of feel that way as well. HOWEVER I do RESPECT all the time and effort these guys have put into the area. But... Don Dahvee like Ryan Ranch is impossible without a guide in my opinion. Both of the official Monterey courses don't seem too "Out of town friendly".
And again I'm not trying to put down the progress that the city and surrounding areas have made but, if we put up more markers,more info etc.....Monterey will explode.

Nice course.

1    1/20/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: DuBose
Pros: Beautiful course plays through some nice hills. Nice mix of elevated tee pads or elevated baskets. Hole #3 is kind of like a mini 'top of the world' from Santa Cruz. I really like how the easier holes are at the beginning of the course and the longer more difficult holes are towards the end. Nice mix of really short holes to very long. I think the way hole #12 plays 520' around trees and uphill, compares with Novato's 1000' hole. Most tee pads had thick rubber mats nailed down and almost all of the baskets had numbers on them. The map that I printed from the Links/Files was very helpful. The layout from previous hole to the next tee pad is laid out very well except for #4 and #11. Even without signs I was able to navigate pretty easily with the printed map. I was the only player out there. This did not make me lonely, it meant NO WAITING! It was almost like having my own personal course. Very cool.
Cons: No signs showing distance and pin placement. Many holes did have rocks with the distance written on them. Some tee pads were missing the rubber mats. No benches or trash cans but that's not really a big deal. The 3-4 and 10-11 thing is silly. I know that 27 holes are the plans but it seems like you could make a great 18 first and then add 8 later. I would like to see sharper turning right and left holes. Parking is a problem also. I parked in the parking lot ignoring the employee only parking. If I lived in town and was able to play this course more I would not feel comfortable parking there.

Other Thoughts: Seeing that this is a new course, I think that they have done an awesome job. It's a great location for a course and the scenery is awesome. The mix of holes has been put together nicely. I am really looking forward to returning to this course and seeing the progress as it continues to mature. The potential here is unlimited. Having 5 courses in a smaller populated area like Monterey is pretty amazing. I only had time to play this one and one other. If I only had time to play 1 course next time that I was in town, I would play this one before the other one and even trying the other three. I suggest you print the map, take some water and try and give yourself enough time to play 2 rounds. Did I mention no waiting.

Ryan Ranch DGC

5+    1/17/2009   1/18/2009
Review By: DaveJones
This review was updated on 3/11/2009
Pros: Beautiful landscape with serious potential. Still in it's first year, this course is evolving. And with alot of work from the local Monterey Stinging Jellies DGC it's really starting to take shape. The land provides an expansive view of the Ryan Ranch area with many elevation changes. Stands of oak trees line the valleys and grassy fairways. This is a BIG course! It will challenge all skill ranges and has long holes at 500'+ and the shortest one is around 180'.There are rubber tee pads with tee #'s and distances posted on most holes. The baskets are DGA Mach V's.
Cons: Being a brand new course (1 year old ) there are still a few kinks being worked out. First time visitors are encouraged to use a map or hook up with a guide. Sign's, trash cans, benches and other amenities are showing up on the course more each day.

Championship Course

5+    2/25/2009   12/19/2008
Review By: Tonyofthsee
This review was updated on 2/28/2009
Pros: Sweet course!! 27 holes. Average hole distance over 350. Just enough fun short holes to balence all of the really long ones. Rubber pads on most of the important holes. More coming soon. Elevation changes, long drives, beautiful setting, and easy to follow layout. The first 18 bring you back to the parking lot where you can refuel and then take on the tough back nine. There is a driving range set up with 550 feet of flags. Its a great way to warm up. The local club has done a lot in a short amount of time for this course. Expect big tournaments here in the near future.
Cons: The gate is locked most weekday's. You have to park next door. Rain has brought a few water hazards into play this season. Can't wait for the multiple pin posistions. Off roaders on weekends every once in a while. Tell them nicely to leave.
Other Thoughts: If you havnt played this course yet get out there. Its pretty special.

Which way?

1    10/14/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: hagar
Pros: Dedicated DG Course
Cons: This course was very reminiscent of my expereince a few days prior at the Don Dahvee course near MPC. The course was easy to find, but once there, it was tough finding even the first hole, even though it's right near the entrance. I HAD a course map and still couldn't find many of the holes. I probably played a few holes in unintended ways, just because I saw a basket and not the tee and just decided to play. After being out in the dust for 3 hours I got tired of looking for holes and gave up after 11 holes.
Other Thoughts: I would guess with a guide, the course could be fun. There seems to be a good diversion of layouts with some extreme elevation changes. The course seemed pretty fair, yet challenging for all skill levels, but wandering around looking for holes all day is not my idea of fun. There were a couple other groups out there on a Tuesday (midday), but none in my immediate flow to follow. Not the most asthetic course I've played, but I would love to try it again with somebody who knows their way around.

Dry, dry, dry

2-4    10/17/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: beauzen
Pros: This has some real potential. There were some good/challenging holes.
Cons: Needs signage and tee pads. A couple of prison shots.
Other Thoughts: The walkout from 10-11 is rather ridiculous. I never did find the tee for hole #10. You may not get to park at hole #1 (locked gate), but can drive 'around the block' (back down the hill, to the south, back up a hill and back to the north) and park in a business park near hole #15.

Long with rolling hillls

1    8/8/2008   9/2/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This course has a few memorable holes. Number three is a big down hill bomb that offers you an opportunity to make a long run at it! There is a hole on the back nice called "the planet of the apes" hole that dog legs through some of the highest thickest thorny undergrowth I've ever had to walk through. Do not be like me people, stay on the fairway for the "Planet of the Apes Hole." A few memorable up hill shots that make a challenge out of bombing it up hill and below very mature oak canopy. 16 is nice, being able to make a run while the basket is guarded by trees.
Cons: The course is long, mostly open and arid, and as a result somewhat boring. When I played, the fire danger was extremely high, you could set the entire town on fire by using a metal putter (if they make those) and sparking one off the chains. A person would be beyond irresponsible to smoke on this course. There are some crazy long walks from basket to tee box (3-4 & 10-11). There are no signs telling you distance or directions, just the occasional rock with feet written on them with sharpie. Dirt tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: I write the pros and cons as of early August o8, the map I got from this site states that there are plans for changes in the future, and I do not doubt that those changes will come since there was ample evidence of a local disc club. My feeling is that if the course does get the nine more holes that the map eludes to and they get signage up, this course could be top notch. As it is, I'd be happy to go back and play Ryan Ranch next time I am in the area.

1 2 3 Next >