Layout Extinct

Interesting

1    9/6/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: jedwards
This review was updated on 2/3/2010
Pros: An odd variety of extremely easy and somewhat challenging holes.
- Baskets - Nice discatchers in decent shape.
- Tee Pads - The tee pads are concrete and kind of small. Lots of orange dirt when I played in September.
- Tee Signs/Maps/Markers - Tee signs had limited information (hole # & par). Several pads have been spray painted to inform that the visible baskets are not for the current hole where the basket is blind to the tee. Course flow is easily followed.
- General Course Design - In general, the course seemed a little disorganized. I felt that the first two holes were after thoughts, designed after the entire course was planned. I really liked the small elevation changes on holes 4, 7 & 8.
Cons: As stated earlier, holes 1 & 2 seemed somewhat useless -- maybe useful to try to boost your ace count as hole 1 is especially "aceable" at only 110 ft.
I would have to agree with other reviewers that the course would have been much more interesting (challenging) with the addition of an obstacle (or two) added to the first 2 or 3 holes.
Other Thoughts: Even though it was a little odd, I liked the tower obstacle on hole 4. I hit it the day I played, which took a nice gash out of my favorite disc, but it was welcomed after the first 3 holes which had zero obstacles.
- All in all a passable course but I would have liked to see a few more challenges.
- No course map is needed to navigate, so don't worry about bringing a map.
- It was nice to park near the first hole, with hole 9 finishing back at the parking lot near hole 1.
- Nice park with plenty of parking and other activities.

I'm Confused As To Who This Course Was Built For?

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: This is another one of those courses whereas I'm not really sure who the designers were building it for. I played # 1. It's 110 ft. with no obstacles. Okay, so I'm thinking this is going to be one of those incredibly easy beginner courses. But then I get to # 3 and it's 427 ft. with a narrow fairway. # 4 is a downhill look with a nasty pond on the right and deep rough on the left. It does have small concrete teepads, Discatcher baskets and signs listing the hole #, distance and par. Next tee signs really aren't needed. ACE opportunities abound here. So basically, I'm left confused once again. If you want to make an easy little beginner course, don't put in long disc eating holes surrounded by rough. If you want to make a recreational type course, don't put in 110 ft. holes with no obstacles.
Cons: Too short to be considered a real recreational course and a little too nasty and long in places for me to call it a pitch and putt. For a course this short, there is a better than average chance of losing discs. Oh well, the people in the surrounding neighborhood seemed happy to be playing it.
Other Thoughts: There were quite a few people playing the course this afternoon. The kind of crowd you would expect to see at your local putt-putt course. Groups of junior high kids and a father with a young son. It's certainly not a destination course but if I lived close I'd always be here trying for a record score and hopefully, racking up those ACES.

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Good for practice. Great place for beginners or to take kids as there is a huge playground located at hole #3. All but three holes play over 200'. Nice tee pads and baskets.
Cons: Short course and only nine holes. Possibly could have used more of the unused land at the park to increase challenge.

It is what it is...

2-4    5/9/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: _DA_
Pros: This 9 hole course is located in a nice little park off of Hwy 115. Restrooms are available, as are soccer fields in case you want to get a little field practice in. Most of the holes are open, with nicely groomed fairways. There are a few holes in the woods, and while most of the holes are flat, there are a few with some elevation change. I think this is a great course for introducing new players to the game, or even for recreational players to have a little fun on.
Cons: If your an advanced player, you will not find this course challenging. Unless you just want to toss some discs around, you should drive on to one of Charlotte's many professional level courses. There are a lot of thorns along the edge of several holes, so be careful to stay on the fairway.
Other Thoughts: If I'm taking the family with me to play, this is where I usually go. It's short enough that the kids don't get tired or bored and not crowed so I don't have to worry about holding other players up. Overall, a fun course.

C+ = As average as the come for 9 holers

2-4    9/19/2006   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C+

Just a quickie!

5+    3/29/2009   3/29/2009
Review By: Youngblood
Pros: The park that hosts this course is quite nice and not over crowded. The course is playable after a heavy rain as there is very little mud to contend with if you need to get your disc golf fix! The course is usually not crowded and you will often find yourselves the sole players playing.
Cons: The course is very easy! Hole #1 is a joke and there are allot of briar patches to contend with if your disc gets away from you. There is graffiti to contend with that can confuse you to the location of the holes. The course plays way to quickly.
Other Thoughts: A decent course to get a real quick game in and a good course to introduce people to the sport. I would not drive any distance to play this course because it is not worth any form of long drive.This course is also good to let little one's play as the course is probably geared towards families.

Short and fun

5+    7/6/2009   7/29/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 9/6/2009
Pros: This course is easy to get in a quick round. It is usually not very crowded, though in the afternoons I usually see a few groups playing. The course is usually pretty clean. This ia a very good beginner course, it will show you several of the shots you will need. Good place to practice the short game. The park has clean restrooms and water fountains on site. The park also has a tennis court, playground for the kids, basketball courts, baseball fields, soccer fields and plenty of paved walking paths.
Cons: There are alot of short holes on this course. You have only 3 holes that are wooded, the rest is flat and wide open. Don't throw off course between 3 and 6, deep very painful briars. There is only one bench and 2 trash cans on the course. Though that is hardly an issue because the course only takes 20-30 minutes to play.
Other Thoughts: There is nothing bad about this course, except the briars. It will pose little challenge to experienced players, though I know several that play it when in the area. Holes 4 and 7 are short downhill and fun. Plenty of aces to be had on this course.

It is worth noting that the way the course turned out is not the fault of the designer. My understanding is that trees were removed, and some holes shortened after the initial design. The Charlotte Club has approached the Cornelius Parks Department about improving the existing holes as well as adding a second 9. There is plenty of room.

There are numbers painted on the teepads for an alternate way to play the course. Some locals came up with a "2nd" nine.