Bakersfield, CA
Hole #7: Approx 650' w/ 120' elevation change

Unique and fun

1    5/17/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: This course begins and ends in the same park setting as the other course on site, but it's the middle 2/3 of the course that really shines. I normally don't find open courses without many trees all that rewarding and fun, but this one has such cool terrain that it manages to make up for it. Many of the holes play up or down steep hillsides. The shots up the hill are shorter, but you still end up pulling out a faster disc to try to get up the hill. A couple long downhill shots are a great payoff for hiking up the hills.

The elevation is used well around the pins, too. Many of the holes have serious roll away potential if you're not careful how you place your shot. The water tank hole is a bit gimmicky but ends up being a fun shot (with a really cool noise if you hit the tank).

The tees and baskets were in fine shape, and the longer grass rough was all mowed down when I played.
Cons: There are a few holes that cross. The lack of traffic and the elevation difference mitigates that somewhat, but it's still not something I really like seeing in course design. Though the course is really creative, it still feels a bit repetitive at times. A few of the uphill holes felt really similar, I would have liked to see some different ways of using the uphill elevation and some different lengths on those shots.

Navigation is a bit tough, especially with no tee signs. I was able to follow the course with the map, but it wasn't always obvious. Signage would go a long way here, especially in the spots where holes cross or there are multiple baskets in view. The beginning and end of the course are pretty unremarkable, and take away from the adventure style feeling of the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: I had a really hard time rating this course. The actual golf shots aren't top notch, but the fun factor is still very high and this is definitely a course I'd play again. I settled on a rating between where I'd rate the shots (3) and where I'd rate the overall experience and uniqueness (4).

Beginners will find the course a bit daunting. It's not technical, but missed shot placement can lead to big walks down the hill to find a disc or nasty rollaways. More experienced players will enjoy a different kind of test than most courses provide.

big ups and downs like nothing else ive played

1    5/26/2013   5/26/2013
Review By: adamtheviking5
Pros: 18 fun holes on the side of a mountain. Excellent thoughtful layout. Good concrete tee pads. Not too much traffic and i was there on memorial weekend. Cool locals. Theres another 18 hole course across the street. Good variety of shots including 3 of the coolest uphill shots ive played and 2 HUGE top of the world shots (i parked #7 for one of my all-time favorite birds) theres plenty of parking and its all free.
Cons: Signs leave something to be desired. Theres a blue post and placard at every tee but instead of hole info, theyre covered in bird poop. I dont know if you've ever tried to decipher the length of a hole based solely on the black to white ratio of sparrow shit but i dont recomend it. I was able to find my way around by following the coors light can trail left by a considerate player who came before me. There are tons of foxtails. They were so bad that i would've worn those gay sock protector things if i wasnt so embarassed about buying them. Theres almost no shade and i imagine it gets really hot in the middle of summer. Bathrooms are a hike away and too gross to use anyways. There are at least 2 law enforcement agancies on site that patrol regularly.
Other Thoughts: I played half of suicide flats across the street with some locals i ran into and then had them point me in the direction of the 1st tee of shark tooth. I didnt have ant difficulty navigating the course despite the lack of signs. I had a lot of fun today and ill play here again. The big risk/return uphil shots were a highlight. The park is an oasis in the desert of east bakersfield with a pond a creek and the kern riverin view from most of the course. I never would have guessed b-field had such a well designed unique pair of courses hidden in its hills.

Challenging Mountain 18

1    12/13/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: Hazer
Pros: Cement tees on every hole besides 14. Lots of distance and elevation change. Nice views of the park and surrounding hills and mountains. Some nice uphill shorter holes (they don't play short!). The holes that did play flatter were long and/or technical shots. 2 long "top of the world" shots. Nice tunnel shot on hole 15. The entire course is very difficult and physically demanding to play. Very nice, well maintained course and park with facilities on site. Water fountain and trash can near hole 18. Low traffic. Its right next to Suicide Flats.
Cons: All signs are missing or removed, so the course map is essential the 1st time you play. Some of the baskets were also missing numbers. No garbage cans besides near 18's basket. Bathrooms are a long walk. Hole 14 only had a rubber tee and it was half covered with dirt.
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging course and definitely NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!! There is some rugged mountain hiking involved so where proper foot ware and come with lots of energy. There is thorny brush throughout holes 4-14 so I would recommend wearing pants. There is a gas station and mini-mart just outside the park near the south east entrance should you need to stock up on essentials. Great course with a very good design and fantastic terrain for intense disc golf. With completed signs and a few finishing touches I would rate it a 4. This course is a real gem and I can't wait to play again!

Very good/difficult course

1    2/26/2012   2/26/2012
Review By: mercenarygrip
Pros: Overall, a very well thought out course, with lots of elevation changes.
Cons: Not always marked well, can be difficult to follow. Definitely take a course map with you. They are available at the first tee box for the Suicide Flats course, which is just across the street from the start of the Shark Tooth Mtn. course.

A good day of golf!

1    6/7/2009   7/7/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- It's always a pro when there are two good disc golf courses in one park. I love tagging two new courses in one day. Plus, it makes for a great day of golf!
- Elevation. This is mountain golf... although I've played on bigger mountains, the risk reward on this course is unbelievable. The basket always seems to be on the edge of some precipice making those iffy putts and layups extremely dangerous. If you go for it... you might have to go for it... "it" being your disc... all the way to the bottom.
- Considering the lack of trees - and vegetation for that matter - in the middle of the course, it's not boring. The holes are very well designed.
- This course was fairly easy to navigate with the map. It came in handy a few times, especially considering there are no tee-signs.
Cons:
- This course could easily be a 4 or better if it had tee-signs and tee-pads. The rubber mat tee-pads were fine... and the holes were findable with the map... but these improvements would easily make this park hard to contend with.
- If you've never been hiking and are unsure of your footing on steep hills, have heart problems, or are not in shape... this might not be the course for you. Somewhere I read that you could die on this course. Although, I think your more likely to die from heat exhaustion or a rattle snake bite than falling off a cliff.
- This is definitely a great disc golf destination.
- My Score: -3

Great day after the rain

1    2/6/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: Blackmon
Pros: Elavation, elavation, elavation. The fact that this course is in the SJV with elavation is a plus. Only other I know is Hensely lake (9) hole north of Fresno. Great course to play. #1 needs a tee box but the rest are there trust me, I think. I have played plenty of courses and always the 1st time navigating through figuring out where is where is difficult. Not to bad to figure out. Rain just cleared before I got there beautiful weather, beautiful views.

I am gald I am only an hour away from this course. I took a wrong turn at #13 all the way up to the tip top (stopped three times to breathe), figure while I was up there might as well take a fantastic drive down to #14 all the way down below. Never found the disc but the drive was beautiful. I guess I found the alternate #14. Still played #14 at the bottom of the hill as well. #17 and #18 are off in the flat lands with the other course don't get confused.
Cons: Get a sharpie and point towards the next tee. Especially on #13 I guess I assumed wrong. Had a great time I will be back.
Other Thoughts: Diffinently print the map from this site before you go. I didn't do that would have be easy to find tees if I did.

For those heading from the North take 178 East from the 99 instead of the 58, Save you some time.

Challenging

1    12/4/2008   12/4/2008
Review By: Myers
This review was updated on 1/17/2009
Pros: Beautiful course on the foothills of a mountain. 7 holes play thru tall trees in a park setting and 11 holes play on the side of the mountain. very challenging pin locations that punish poor upshots and drastic elevation changes which make you think on each throw. Wind also adds challenge on the elevated holes. The views are amazing. The course plays long with most holes well over 300 ft. and the shorter holes have drastic elevation changes which make birdies hard to come by.
Cons: First off the course was not very easy to find. when you get into the park veer to the left and park on the road. The first tee is at the corner of hill rd and plays to the maintenance building. The course is pretty difficult to navigate as well. Some signage would be very beneficial. The course has natural tees and I think it would be very hard to install concrete pads due to erosion on the mountain side.
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing. Some of the coolest shots I have played..... But this has to be the most physically challenging course I have ever played hands down. Not suggested for those who are out of shape or those who are scared of heights. This course plays up and down and up and down which really drains you. Like I said the shots are amazing which is the only reason I would play it again. The mountain side is pretty bare but the pins are placed well to make you negotiate what is there.