Nokomis, WI
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #6
4 / 215ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Rhinelander's Beginner Course

1    10/27/2012   11/23/2012
Pros: 1) This is by far the most beginner friendly course in the Rhinelander area. It is almost completely open and I am sure it exposes a lot of people to the game and helps them learn how their discs fly before throwing them into the difficult Northwoods forests.
2) There are a handful of trees on a couple of the holes. At least they provide some obstacles to show the beginners that the game is not only wide open turfed holes.
3) Very nicely maintained turf on this course. It seemed to be in really good shape and healthy. The photos on the course page show tall grass lining the fairways but it looked to me that perhaps they eventually started just mowing all of that grass down. Perhaps it was causing backups for people wandering the tall grass looking for their discs, otherwise I cannot imagine why they decided to mow down the prairie grass.
4) Signs are simple with just Hole #, Par, and distance listed. They do the job on this course where you can always spot the basket location. The posts definitely also help you find your next hole, just look for the post.
5) Good distance variation with 100's, 200's, and a couple 300's too. This actually is probably the biggest PRO for this course.
Cons: 1) A positive is also a negative for me specifically. The fact that it is beginner friendly is good, but it is also border-line boring and uninspiring for me. I am not a great player but I much prefer a challenge to wide open short holes.
2) This course is as flat as can be . . . it is in a community park which I am sure was graded to be completely level.
3) Grass tees are always sub-par in my eyes but at least here the turf is in great condition and perfectly level. It also is a beginner course so there really won't be that many people using a full run-up. I suppose you could put your plant foot on the concrete that marks the front of the tees.
Other Thoughts: Keep in mind I played this course when the baskets and tee-signs had already been removed for the winter. I was able to located all of the basket locations and tees so it was as if I was actually playing the course. I threw a putt and decided if it looked like it was in or not. Granted this is an unorthodox way of playing a course but I did not want to miss the chance to play this course and make the throws even if there were no baskets in the ground.

sub PAR

1    6/20/2009   6/20/2009
Review By: matrathvy
Pros: It is course in a community that did not have a course. The grounds were well maintained. Ample parking. Community discs for those who do not have any/enough.
Cons: The was no real challenge to this course, the were no obstacles, the holes were too short.
Other Thoughts: Lower the pars on EVERY hole, plant some trees.