Cary, NC
Middle Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: New013 Hole #12 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #12 Blue Tee: Slight curve to the right w/ OB as tree-line on the right

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 The most underrated course I have played.

2-4    1/13/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: b pheazye
Pros: The tee-offs are mulch which I realize are a turn off to some people but personally I prefer it over concrete. It is packed in very nicely and allows you to grip well. The holes vary from being in the wide open to throwing through tight forest so you really get a different look on each hole. Possibly my favorite hole would be one where you throw on a major downhill and have to play the curve wondefully to get it near the hole.
Cons: One of the holes is near a road, you dont throw towards it but the starting point is near a road. It can be a tad wet if you go after a rain but only in a very small portion between two holes. There are a couple of baseball fields so if you are inexperienced make sure you can jump a fence! Also the first hole you have to throw over a road but it is just a small one leading to the parking lot with very little traffic.
Other Thoughts: I liked it, it helped improve my game and the holes looked very nice. It wasnt to difficult but it wasnt a walk in the park either. It had some long holes but for the most part it was not overwhelming to attempt par. A place I will play many more times in my life.

Beautiful Course, but don't play after it rains!

1    12/24/2008   12/24/2008
Review By: kunipshunfit
Pros: This course is absolutely amazing. Very well kept, in a very nice area. I will try to summarize my review with various bullet points.

Landscape is very well kept. This course is in a very 'well to do' area of Cary. This is a nice change from some other courses. It is helped by it's beauty. The park is a shared park, there is a basketball court, open all in one field, baseball field and play area for kids (beside the rest rooms before hole 9ish).

Lots of nice Ace Runs (the first 3 holes, and at least 3 others). Don't be deterred by my "Ace run" comment, these Ace Run's are around 250-300ft, but they can happen.

Nice mix of woods and open shots. When I first arrived at the course I was expecting a very wide open course. I was wrong! The course flows in and out of the woods, the majority of the wooded shots are on the back nine. The shots are not as tight as some other courses (Cornwallis comes to mind) - but they are well carved, and the path or 'flight' to the basket is clear.

Originally I was going to put 'no tee pads' in as a 'con' however they will be poured in the summer. Also the 'mulch' tee pads that are there now have been trampled down very well already! There was only 1 hole where I had to tee outside of the designated area (And that was because it was just to muddy!).
Cons: I put down the con's in no certain order and just put them in bullets.

- Crossing Fairways

- Horribly muddy after the rain (Esp near hole 15, it was a swamp.)

- Some holes tee by the road, or throw over the road.

No Signage (This will be fixed soon I hear). The course map is dead on though - and I found my way around the course with very little trouble.

Hole 17 (Right beside the baseball field) - I would say this, Do not go right with this shot. It runs right beside the back of a baseball field, that is locked. I wanted to try to skirt a nice hyzer shot out and swing into the basket (even though the whole is obviously geared for an anny shot and well, I turned over my disc and had to jump a fence). I also shot the hole with a 'flick' and the wind caught the disc and carried it to the edge of the side walk, which is about 5-8 ft from the fence, so I'd imagine on a windy day ppl will drop some plastic in the ball field.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a very nice course. I had a great time playing it and will definitely go play it again. I would not call this a 'championship' caliber course, but it could be modified to become one, there is more than enough space.

My review of this course will go up to a 3.5 with Signs and concrete tee pads. If they can do anything about the irrigation then I would put it at a 3.75 (if possible) - As it was no fun walking around with mud covered shoes.

Great New Course..

2-4    8/17/2008   8/17/2008
Review By: tomschillin
This review was updated on 8/25/2008
Pros: This course has GREAT potential. It's less than 2 months old and there are many kinks to be ironed out, but it's got the possiblity to expose a LOT of non-DGers to our great game. The layout of the course flows pretty well given the land it is on. There are some great ace runs, espcially on the front side, the back is rough on my short arm, but still makeable for par on most everything. There are maps available at the Community Rec Center if it's open, and there are very clean nice restrooms right at the 9 hole turn. The course is great for 9 or 18 because it double loops back to the parking lot...i played 27 today because i really wasn't in the mood to get my butt kicked on the backside twice in one day. The potential of this course is amazing and exciting...i think a whole new group of disc golfers are going to be playing this course in the future!
Cons: There are a few sidewalk tee pads, but for the most part, tee pads are mulch and the mulch is such that it's pretty easy to trip on. Thick and branchy mulch, but it'll get worn down with more play. Crossing fairways on 3 holes that i can remember, but if you're aware of your surroundings it shouldn't be a problem. No Tee signs, but the course is so new i wasn't expecting any...oh yeah, and there's an anthill right around basket 9 that got...stupid ants....and there are some expensive cars that are likely to be hit if you're not somewhat careful.
Other Thoughts: I really, really, really enjoyed this course and my rating of it will go up when the minor issues get ironed out, and it's my understanding that they will within a year, i hear teepads will be poured next summer some time...so the actual layout will probably change a little. This is course is gonna bring our sport great exposure, or if we act like morons it'll bring us some pretty negative exposure...be careful of the other park-goers, they are, i'm sure, very wealthy/influential people...but this is a great start i feel

Good points overshadowed by crossing fairways

5+    8/12/2008   8/12/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/22/2008
Pros: I have to preface this review by saying that this course has only been fully installed for a few weeks.

This park is very nice and clean. It's in a wealthy area. There are bathrooms and a playground for the wives and kids to use while we play disc golf. If you take the holes individually there are some very fun and challanging ones. The course isn't overly long so beginners shouldn't be intimidated by it. The more advanced player will really enjoy the tight fairways and the fact that you have to make good drives to score well. There is also some nice elevation change on the course. The pins are brand new and in great shape. The tight holes all have fairways that are hard but fair. This course is going to get a ton of play because of it's location and it is a beginner friendly course for the most part. Big arms will not have a distinct advantage here but there are some good holes to open up and throw hard. You just have to hit the fairway or you will be in trouble.

The park office has nice course maps. I will also post them in the files section for the course.
Cons: In my opinion the course design needs to be evaluated and changed in a number of places. Because the course is so newly installed these concerns may not all be valid for long.

Errant drives on holes 1, 2, 17 and 18 have a possibility of finding the park entrance roads. This is a very busy park in the evenings so those drives may have a chance of hitting expensive cars because the park is in a wealthy area. It is highly probably that discs in the road will get run over by cars entering and exiting the park. Depending on where the final location for the tee of hole 17 is placed righty hyzer shots have a chance of ending up in the softball complex. The fence is pretty high and should not be climbed so these will be a pain to get back if there is a game in progress.

The current tee position of hole 1 is located such that people standing back from the tee box of 1 will be interfere with the left portion of the fairway of 18. This will cause delays if they ever decide to have tournaments on this course. From the course map it looks ilke this tee box might be moved a little bit in the future.

Hole 4's fairway crosses the fairway for hole 5 very close to where drives will land on hole 4. At a bare minimum this will cause backups on the course. The worst case is that golfers will get hit by drives coming off of hole 5.

Errant drives from hole 11 could hit players putting at the basket of 13 on the left or driving off the tee on 14 on the right. You must also cross the fairway of 11 to get from hole 13s basket to hole 14. There is not sufficient distance or shielding to protect from drives off of 11. Luckily 11 is a short downhill hole and people shouldn't be throwing too hard. Be careful in this area.

The other cons for this place are mostly because it's new. Eventually these things will be worked out and won't exist. Those cons are. There are no poured concrete tee pads. The tee pads are all mulched. The tees are uneven. The underbrush is very thick in places so it will be easy to lose discs. There are no tee signs and the course is hard to navigate in some places(if it's your first time there and you don't have a map).

In my opinion this is a fun course to play during the parks slow hours and when there are not many people on the course. I get frustrated by the holes around the road because of traffic during the parks peak hours. I also get very frustrated on any course with crossing fairways because of the obvious safety issues.
Other Thoughts: A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. These are just my opinions and they should be taken with a grain of salt. Play the course, make your own decisions, and then post them here for everyone to see.

My reviews are based on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a good disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >