Chambersburg, PA
Wilson College DGC Share
Uploaded By: Jimb Hole #8 (Taken 7/2009)

Beginner course or a Quick round

5+    7/22/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: Bzach
This review was updated on 5/6/2012
Pros: - Most holes are open and allow new players to throw without the risk of having to chase a disc into the woods.
- the short holes allow for many ace opportunities.
- course is well maintained due to it being on a college campus.
-course can be played quickly ~20 mins
Cons: - on the flip side of the course allowing for many aces, the is very little challenge for even intermediate players.
- the is almost no terrain change on the entire course and the parts where there are hill are the space between holes.
Other Thoughts: Its a nice course if you live in the area but nothing to drive a long distance for. (Unless your coming to play Whispering Falls in Greencastle, then it may be worth a stop.) It allows for a quick nine holes if your on a time restraint and don't have the time to go anywhere long. Overall this course makes a good accent to Whispering Falls.

Very Nice College Campus

1    7/6/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: Jeffrey2636
Pros: Beautiful College Campus! Old buildings and a nice courtyard to play through. Baskets and tee signs are in decent shape.
Cons: Short course. All 9 holes can be played with a putter and midrange.
Other Thoughts: It seems that I have been running into a bunch of college campus DGC's. This is now my 3rd college DGC and rate it as reasonable. The layout is pretty decent for the limited space they had to put 9 holes but it is a pretty fun layout. As far as college courses go, I would rate this in the middle. If you're in the area, stop by and play. I would go out of my way to play it again, but my two young boys felt like rockstars on the course.

An Easy A+ for Gym Class

2-4    12/23/2010   12/24/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Gorgeous! I went to a mundane state university with that pedestrian Soviet-era boxey type of architecture, so I'm always a sucker for pretty buildings. The collegiate atmosphere is complemented by a nice lawn with which to put nine holes. Even in December the grass was nice and green and manicured well. Tees are nicely-broken in and signage is in good condition.

- Trees serve as hazards and obstacles on many of the holes, which makes up for the very short hole length (see below).

- Most notable hole: #8 due to the longer length (~350 ft) and trees/road serving as hazards

- Just a turn off US-30 in the heart of Chambersburg

- Made for a physical education class, which is awesome and makes me jealous of the students
Cons: - It's pretty much on par with most other collegiate disc golf courses I've played: small hole lengths, cramped, and extremely easy. Compared to others though, this one utilizes the space better and seems to be frequented more often. I played during the holiday season when school wasn't in session and I'm not sure how much foot traffic it gets when classes are going on.
Other Thoughts: As I said before, this is your typical college course with small holes, small course area, and an even smaller challenge. Compensate for this by making it a Roc or Buzz-only round!

I really like how this right off Route 30. I stop here every time I head out this way and it's a very quick round and a nice opportunity to stretch after driving! If you're in the area, make sure to check out Whispering Falls in Greencastle, about 25 minutes away.

Short But Sweet

2-4    8/16/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: Sposker
Pros: As an amateur just starting to get used to the game of disc golf, this was a fun little course for me. Though the course is very flat, what little elevation there is gets used quite nicely. Hole number 6 comes to mind; a blind tee shot about 250 feet from the pin. Hole 8 is beautiful with a 350 foot fairway lined by towering trees and would be a great hole on any disc golf course.

The signage is adequate from what I saw, but I went with a few guys who had played before and therefore asked them rather than check out the signs.

On the whole, it was a positive experience, and I plan to play it again soon.
Cons: The length. Hole number 4 is less than 150 feet, and with the exception of the aforementioned number 8, the others really feel quite short.

There are no real tees; just worn down patches of grass. I hear that it was just done as a project by some students so I suppose they did the best they could with whatever limited funds they were given.

I was quite peeved that some of the holes force you to throw across roads and sidewalks; particularly frustrating was my second round on hole 2, when some lady parked her car directly in the line I wanted to take. I considered putting a disc through her window, but that's another story.. I played when college was not in session so I can only imagine what might happen then.
Other Thoughts: I probably wouldn't drive more than the half an hour it takes me to reach this course. That being said, apart from a course just down the road in Greencastle which has scary reviews for a novice, it's all that's in the immediate area.

pitch and putt

1    5/1/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: This is a good beginners course with some nice tee sign and baskets in good shape. Other than that there isn't much going for it. The tee signs show two routes to each basket which is nice for both lefties and righties. It has good flow and what little elevation change is available was used to its maximum potential. The scenery and the red maples make you feel like you are taking a stroll in a beautiful park not playing disc golf on a college common. There are several ace runs available, so bring you're A-game.
Cons: The dirt tees (worn down patches of grass) are uneven and have roots jutting up on more than half of them. Most of the holes play over or next to parking areas and heavily used walkways so please be careful not to hit a car or child, I saw four or five running around. The course is short and not very challenging except for a few trees in front of a few tees.
Other Thoughts: The tees are marked with painted round cement cylinders in the ground. To get from basket 7 to tee 8 go through the pines, cross the parking lot and its by the road. There were also women sunbathing by one and nine on the common. I will let you decide whether this is good or not.

Quad Nine

1    3/19/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Beautiful college campus setting sets the backdrop for a pleasant quick nine holes through the main college quadrangle. Perfectly manicured grounds with zero disc loss. It's a great way to stretch your legs out a bit if your traveling on I-81. Complements the more epic Whispering Falls nearby as either a warm up before or ego booster afterwards. Par 27 course with birdie chances galore but this is no ace hunt course. Every hole brings some type of challenge which makes your little round interesting. I counted 6 times while standing on the tee that I had to rethink the route I wanted to take to the basket. Holes 6,7 and 8 did not have multiple routes but all were great holes with6 an uphill blind toss to an open pin then 7 a drop in anhyzer and 8 a 355 foot tree lined fairway that would be a great hole on any course. Minimal elevation but what was there was utilized well. I particularly enjoyed hole 5. It's short but theres 2 routes to the basket that both take the perfect shot to get there. I got a few birdies and I felt I earned them here. I got one bogey and that was my fault...not the designs. Fair course with plenty of challenge for being so short and quick. You could conceivably shoot under 20 here but if you did you were smoking hot. Aces possible except for the long 355 #8. Great place to bring your putters and approach discs. Natural tees sufficient for a course this short. Decent signs. Safe setting.
Cons: It plays through the heart of campus so some common sense applies. Watch for sidewalks,people and cars. Holes 2 and 4 seem slapped together and while both are technical shorties I'd rather play away from roads, people and buildings than flirt with a confrontation. Theres a nice green space near the river nearby..hmmm? Hole 3 throws from below a nice natural rise that to me was screaming to be an elevated tee. It's a college course...your not going here for a challenge. It's a fun relaxing round with little stress involved.
Other Thoughts: Play the roads and sidewalks as OOB to add some challenge. I think soft putters are the way to play much of this course to minimize risk if the campus is busy while there. Worth 2 rounds as there are multiple lanes to try out on many of the holes.

Fun little course.

2-4    7/23/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 8/1/2009
Pros: Excellent signs for each hole. The course is very easy to follow, even without the map. The map box was empty (except for a candy bar wrapper) but you can print a map from this site. Nice Innova chains that are in pretty good shape. Well kept, very pretty grounds, on a small college campus that's just a short drive off of I81 or the PA Turnpike. The grass was cut pretty tight when I played.

They made very nice use of the limited space available. There is virtually no chance of losing a disc. The length would be well suited for new to intermediate players, which makes sense as a previous review mentioned that this was originally set up for a college class.

The layout of the holes, though, should keep most of the holes interesting for experienced players too. I would say that 5 of the 9 holes give you a choice of different paths to the basket, playing around mature trees. So whether you're right handed or left handed, or throw mostly backhand or forehand, you will get to throw to your strength. Or you can go the other route and get work on your other secondary shots. And with the well maintained grass, you could easily select a roller on a couple holes.

You can play a very quick round or three here. The 2nd time through the course I played 9 holes in 20 minutes and I'm not normally a fast player.
Cons: Dirt tees that were pretty dusty when I played. No next tee signs, but fortunately, the next tees are pretty easy to find anyway.

The campus was pretty much a ghost town when I played. During normal hours I could see where you would have to be very careful with pedestrian and vehicle traffic. You are throwing very close to sidewalks, campus roads and the street.

Hole #1 has a lamp post that appears to have come into play a few times as the glass panes on the tee side of the lamp are all broken out. The 144' Hole #4 really seems to be totally a filler hole. I understand the space limitations but feel that this hole could have been made a lot better with just a little work on the tee and pin placements.

No water or thick woods holes. No big elevation changes. No "big gun" holes with the 355' #8 being the longest hole.
Other Thoughts: This was really a fun little course for me and I will definitely play it again when I'm passing by Chambersburg, PA. It's one of the better 9 hole courses that I've played. I really like that you have multiple routes to several of the pins.

Holes #6 & #8 would be the highlights for me. #6 is a pretty easy hole, at only 243' long and slightly up hill over a knoll. But it's a totally blind tee shot which makes it interesting. OK, I'll admit why I like #6... I parked it both times I played it which is a lot of fun when you can't even see the pin from the tee! And #8 is just a classic disc golf hole. Check out the photo. It's very picturesque and almost looks like a ball golf hole. It's the longest hole on the course at 355' and you play down a medium width fairway between big trees on both sides. It's just a very pretty hole that was a joy to play.

I wouldn't recommend driving a long way just to play this course, but if you're traveling along I81 or the PA Turnpike near Chambersburg I would absolutely recommend that you stop and play a round or two. You shouldn't be disappointed that you did.

Wilco

2-4    5/25/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros: Easy-to-follow, natural flow - hardly needed the map/scorecard, which was available at the first tee.

Good quality baskets. Minimal/no chance to lose a disc. Pretty campus grounds.

Quick play - two of us finished two 9-hole rounds in about 45 minutes.

Birdy opportunities galour - between two of us, we birdied every hole at least once, except for #5 and #8.
Cons: Single basket, single (natural) tee pads, fairly short, relatively flat.

Plays near some roads and walking paths
Other Thoughts: Holes range in length from 145' to 355', the average being 245'.

Despite the lack of length, trees will come into play on every hole (but #6), and either alter the initial flight path, or somewhat guard the basket - at times, both!

Most challenging hole: #5, 220', slightly downhill, cluster of trees in front of teepad combined with cluster of trees guarding basket make this a very challenging hole.

Very suitable course for beginners. More experienced players can work on their long approach/birdy game, and maybe even an ace!

Fun beginner course or practice round

5+    9/1/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: ferretdance03
Pros: This course was put in for a Summer college class and has been opened up to public play. It plays in the front lawns of a relatively small College campus. Very well laid out holes for the limited space they used.
This is not a long course by any means, the longest hole is 355', the shortest is 140'. Most are under 280.'
Even though it's short, Wilson is not lacking in challenge. Many holes have a low ceiling or tight tee shots.
Many left and right bending holes, although most can be reached with a midrange.
Great for after work rounds; can get through 36 in under an hour if solo.
Other Thoughts: Quite a few holes play across sidewalks, roads and oft traveled footpaths. Open eyes are a must here.
Along the same lines, many of the students don't/won't know what you're doing, be aware of headphoned walkers and booknosed studiers!

Wilson is a great course to play if you're in the area, and can be a great place to hone your midrange skills.