Philomath, OR
Marys River Park Share
Uploaded By: Flies to the Left Hole #3 (Taken 2/2008)
Hole #3 from Tee. Basket to the left around corner.

My Practice Course

5+    4/4/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: prettyboyfloyd
This review was updated on 6/23/2013
Pros: Uses most of the park space. Holes 2,3,6,7,8 are the best. I live in town, so I used this park when I was just starting out two years ago and was perfect for building confidence before hitting the much harder courses in the area.
Cons: Whoever poured the concrete teepads had no idea what they were doing. They are currently rubble. Holes 1,4,5, and 9 are just straight and boring. The layout on these holes could be better.
Other Thoughts: I use this course primarily for practice now. I play putter rounds here a lot, too. As I said previously, if you are just starting out and don't want to loose your mind on a harder course in the area (Adair, Bryant, or Waterloo), this is a good course for you.

I do believe short, simple courses have their place and my rating would be higher if the teepads were fixed and the layout of some holes changed.

1    7/6/2011   7/12/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This course is played around and across a large open field and does incorporate the few trees into your drives. For only being a nine hole course there is a lot of distance here because of how much land is available but accuracy isn't as much of a factor. There are a couple of holes in the wooded section of the park that play down and around the walking trails. Holes 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 are the best of the bunch using trees and different lines. Hole six is a long double dog leg but open par three hole that will challenge players who can throw over 400 feet but players who cannot throw this far will find it dull and boring. Hole seven is a long left to right with a low ceiling and dangerous rough deep and left of the basket. Hole eight is another double dog leg hole throwing across the grass with serious danger off the chosen path. A great RHBH roller hole if you can do it. I like the way the course flowed around the park and back to the car very well without any funny walkouts and I found navigation is be very easy as a first time player of the course. The benches here are made out of logs from old trees and are really interesting and unique to look out, I enjoyed these very much. Too bad there aren't a couple more around.
Cons: The short, wooded in tee pads with the broken cement and loose gravel combine to make throwing from out of these things almost impossible. You can see the grass next to these tee pads is turning into dirt because local players are just teeing off next to the horrible pads and I can't blame them too much for this. Maybe just natural pads or some carpet would be better served here.

Holes four and five are just wide open holes with no obstacles. They are also on the longer side for most recreational players (350 feet or so) and not being able to reach these distances makes these holes ultra boring and with the tee pads which I've already mentioned not many players are hitting 350+ feet without an X step or some kind of run up.
Other Thoughts: I really like hole nine for trying to get aces, really short and wide open, hole one is pretty good for this too. Although these aren't really good holes it is kind of nice that they had a couple of short ones out here too. There is a lot more woods in this park and a river that could be utilized as well. It would be nice to take away the two open longer holes, maybe after three you could make a par four hole from tee pad four to basket six and have a huge double dog leg hole. Overall nothing too exciting here but a decent option.

Some Long Bombs But....!

1    5/31/2010   6/3/2010
Pros: Mary's River is a little city park with a slight out of the way feel to it. Because it's not surrounded by houses I think vandalism could be a problem here. The park is flat playing mostly across some fields but a couple of holes do play through the woods. Water could come into play on # 9. The course does give you the opportunity for some long throws and 4-5 of the holes are just 350' to 450' throws across the open fields. The course tends to more than just a little "vanilla."
Cons: There are no tee signs except for the hole number on the tee pad. The number is a house number screwed into the railroad tie. This is a great idea, an even better idea would have been to use a brighter colored house number. One has already been broken off by the local vandals. The pads are pretty bad. We just teed off next to them on every hole. They're boxed in on all four sides with railroad ties which are slightly above ground.. They are 6-8' long. The boxed in back tie prevents you from getting a longer run up. I think someone tried to make them concrete but maybe they just poured concrete over rough ground. Actually, they look like one of my many failed construction projects
Other Thoughts: This is somewhat of a cool little park. This course could be improved with some work to the teepads and tee boxes. I don't know where the police station is but it still feels to me like a park where the local skateboard punks could cause some havoc. I'd play it if I lived close but I's be just as happy throwing at the little middle school course.