Lake Charles, LA
Ward 3 Recreation DGC Share
Uploaded By: t's kitty Hole #1 (Taken 10/2009)

Wide Open

1    4/22/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: MikeK
Pros: If you like open courses, this one is for you...there are only about 7 trees on the entire course.

The park is well-maintained.

Three 400+ foot holes let players test their distance game.
Cons: There are very few obstacles to make the holes interesting. No shade nor benches to be had. There are still no markers for the tee boxes.

The Innova Discatcher baskets are faded and rusty.
Other Thoughts: I don't think this course is worth diverting off of Interstate 10 on a journey through Louisiana---players would be better off trying the two courses at Acadiana Park in Lafayette.

A Good Start

5+    10/30/2011   10/30/2011
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: I would be negligent if I did not mention the best part of this course. The People. I went out for an ace race and stayed to play in a doubles tournament. The people were as hospitable as could be and made any time spent on the course that much more enjoyable.

This course did a good job of using the land provided to offer a challenging 9 hole course. Artificial OB created by ball fields works to shape shots off the tee. They worked really well with the land provided. It just has to be known that the land in this part of the country is good and flat.

The course is in a wonderful little park with some nice amenities, including bathrooms. The baskets are a bit old but still in great condition, and the tee signs are awesome.

I will say due to it's location I found the course to be very windy, which I was told that it was a calm day. I found this to be a perfect course for high gusty winds as it added naturally to the difficulty of this course, and it was nice to play in this wind without the risk of really losing your disc. The course is also a figure 8, so as you play you get to drive with the wind moving in every conceivable direction.
Cons: I did not see it as there was only football the day I was there, but it plays around a number of ball fields, and while they are all fenced off, I could easily see that they would be a factor, and playing this course during baseball season is inadvisable.

As far as playing it, this course is just too open and would benefit greatly from a few forced plantings, adding some trees around the course could change it dramatically.

The tee pads are non-existant, while there are some nice signs, it would be good to see something even just little bricks in the ground to mark a tee pad specifically.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a nice course and it is good to see an attempt at getting the sport growing in the area. There is definitely some work that could be done to improve it but I think that could easily be accomplished.

After playing this course once, I do not know that I would travel far to play it, except for tournaments as the people would make the trip well worth it. With that being said it is only about 15 minutes off of I-10 and if passing through it would be a great little 9 hole course to try. They definitely used the space available to their advantage and hopefully it will only help to grow the sport in the area even more.

Only one in Lake Charles...

1    1/7/2011   1/21/2011
Review By: Keamo
Pros: ---=[Back Ground]=---
I was interested in playing a game of disc golf with my dad whom has never played. I used DG Course review to find a local course. I was skeptical because of the reviews, it sounded reasonable. I was able to see Ward 3 from the airplane, which is awesome because I was able to see where I was going to play prior to playing. Alright that's enough background; I'll get on to pros and cons.
----------
• I could see Ward 3 from the airplane, which is a pro because it's close to the airport and you can get in nine holes pretty quickly.
• Hole 4 was the best. I've played a lot of difficult wooded courses and none of them are very simplistic. I thought this was a good start for the course.
Cons: • If you are local to Louisiana, you know not to play past dusk because as my dad said, "We've better hurry because the mosquitoes will fly you away." For those who are not native to the mosquito invested swamp lands… night golf is a no. FYI this is in the winter and the mosquitoes are still out, which my farther updated me that LA had 2 freezes this winter yet the mosquitoes didn't really go away.
• It had recently rained that week, so the entire course was pretty much wet, which actually created a water hazard for I believe holes 5 or 6. It was about a half of a foot to a foot deep. This is also a good place for mosquitoes to spawn… Yippy.
• Hole 6 or 7 has a barbed wire fence to the left... so don't throw a lefter. I found this was one of the longer holes and was able to practice a couple rollers. Be super careful on your approach and make sure to be on the side facing the basket because the wooded area behind it is unforgiving, heavily wooded, and full of stickers.
• Almost the entire course is designed around little league baseball fields, which means if there is ever a game going on, you shouldn't play. It was my father's first time playing disc golf but not first time throwing a disc… needless to say he was throwing a lot out of the empty ball park.
• I have played enough to know my distance with certain discs, certain winds, and certain arm speeds. I quickly figured out that every holes tee to basket distance was wrong, more than others on most holes.
• Like the barbed wire fence disc trap, a place where many discs will go, and no one will retrieve them… There is also 1 place where you can lose your disc on 9. The awning that is covering a play area or picnic area... I don't recall which.
Other Thoughts: I do not recommend playing this course if there are people playing baseball. If people are using the awning you should skip hole 9 all together, especially if you are new. If you live in Lake Charles, go nuts… because the closest one to Lake Charles is 1 hour away... If I were to move back to Louisiana and I lived in Lake Charles, I would simply get my own basket and never play Ward 3 again. Last but not least, it is not worth the hassle of bringing your bag through security, on the airplane, etc…

Good start.

1    12/19/2010   12/20/2010
Review By: riffraffrasta
Pros: -Easy to find
-Wide open
-Signage and baskets in good shape.
-Restrooms
-Straight forward.
Cons: -Multi-use park can make for frustrating round. (I played on a sun. so it was no problem but I can see where this could be a problem.)
-No Teepads.
-Distances on signage is most definitely off.
Other Thoughts: I had a good time playing this course. Plays very fast. Not too challenging but definitely get's the idea across. Great start to bringing DG to the Lake Charles community, wish we had something like this back home. I would definitely play this course again.

Ward 3 DGC

5+    3/20/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: Dixie Boy
Pros: Wide open, a place to let it rip. Not many places to lose a disc.
Cons: Not many obstacles. It looks like an after thought to the baseball complex.
Other Thoughts: Usually not crowded. There was never any staff around on Sats or Suns when I played there.

Ward 3 Disc Golf Course

5+    10/9/2008   10/17/2008
Review By: bayouace
This review was updated on 1/22/2010
Pros: Fairly wide-open, figure 8 course. Staff planted many young trees at discers' request in January, 2010. When these grow a little and some baskets are moved to take advantage of that growth, this course will be tougher, more challenging, and a bit more frun.. Great for new players, young, wives. Friendly staff. Clean facility with amenities. Clean rest room available 24/7.Fun, go-for-it course.
Cons: Have to walk around fences if you fade into an outfield (4 holes). Sometimes people are in the way (3 holes). Strong breeze most days. No shade.
Other Thoughts: Strong players may shoot 24 or lower on this 9 hole course. I enjoy this course and the Ward 3 staff is trying hard to build DG in the Lake Charles area.