8 Helpful / 3 Not
Only one in Lake Charles...
Pros: ---=[Back Ground]=---
I was interested in playing a game of disc golf with my dad whom has never played. I used DG Course review to find a local course. I was skeptical because of the reviews, it sounded reasonable. I was able to see Ward 3 from the airplane, which is awesome because I was able to see where I was going to play prior to playing. Alright that's enough background; I'll get on to pros and cons.
• I could see Ward 3 from the airplane, which is a pro because it's close to the airport and you can get in nine holes pretty quickly.
• Hole 4 was the best. I've played a lot of difficult wooded courses and none of them are very simplistic. I thought this was a good start for the course.
Cons: • If you are local to Louisiana, you know not to play past dusk because as my dad said, "We've better hurry because the mosquitoes will fly you away." For those who are not native to the mosquito invested swamp lands... night golf is a no. FYI this is in the winter and the mosquitoes are still out, which my farther updated me that LA had 2 freezes this winter yet the mosquitoes didn't really go away.
• It had recently rained that week, so the entire course was pretty much wet, which actually created a water hazard for I believe holes 5 or 6. It was about a half of a foot to a foot deep. This is also a good place for mosquitoes to spawn... Yippy.
• Hole 6 or 7 has a barbed wire fence to the left... so don't throw a lefter. I found this was one of the longer holes and was able to practice a couple rollers. Be super careful on your approach and make sure to be on the side facing the basket because the wooded area behind it is unforgiving, heavily wooded, and full of stickers.
• Almost the entire course is designed around little league baseball fields, which means if there is ever a game going on, you shouldn't play. It was my father's first time playing disc golf but not first time throwing a disc... needless to say he was throwing a lot out of the empty ball park.
• I have played enough to know my distance with certain discs, certain winds, and certain arm speeds. I quickly figured out that every holes tee to basket distance was wrong, more than others on most holes.
• Like the barbed wire fence disc trap, a place where many discs will go, and no one will retrieve them... There is also 1 place where you can lose your disc on 9. The awning that is covering a play area or picnic area... I don't recall which.
Other Thoughts: I do not recommend playing this course if there are people playing baseball. If people are using the awning you should skip hole 9 all together, especially if you are new. If you live in Lake Charles, go nuts... because the closest one to Lake Charles is 1 hour away... If I were to move back to Louisiana and I lived in Lake Charles, I would simply get my own basket and never play Ward 3 again. Last but not least, it is not worth the hassle of bringing your bag through security, on the airplane, etc...
8 of 11 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.