Oberlin, KS
Sappa Park Share
Uploaded By: breaking the chains Hole #3 (Taken 4/2013)
Hole #3 Tee: Plays through playground

A nice and quiet place to improve your short game

1    4/22/2013   4/22/2013
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: The course is well groomed, didn't see one spec of trash on the course, this is always a plus. It is in a very seculded and quiet area. You can play a round very quickly, I played this course in less than 30 mins. It is a short course so it would be a great place for a beginner to learn, or a great place to work on your short game. It offers a variety of shots with protected pins and trees that force you to shape your lines.
Cons: Upon my visit I couldn't find #4 or #7 tee markers so I went by the photos. I really don't like hole #3 that makes you shoot thru the playground. It wasn't busy on my visit but if there were kids playing there it would be a hazard. There were no bathrooms so go before you get to the course. There isn't a map, but you shouldn't need one if you look at the photos. No trash cans or benches either, however it was litter free and you probably won't need to sit down because it is so short of a course.
There is some backtracking that has to be done and this throws the flow off a bit. You must walk down the road from #5's basket to get to #6 tee box and then walk back down the same road to get to #8's tee from #7's basket. You have to throw over the road a few times, but I don't see this as a huge problem because this course is secluded.
Other Thoughts: Here are some observations about this course:
1-is an open shot
2-pin is tucked back into the trees a bit, the hyzer route works well here, RHBH
3-throws thru the playground, be careful
4-low ceiling shot, the basket is out in the open
5-nice hole, one of my favorites here, has several trees to navigate around
6-protected pin upon approach
7-forces you to work it left to right, assuming you find the tee, I played it this way according to the photos
8-must shoot thru the gap in the trees
9-basket is in the open
If you like a well kept course that will make you work your lines a bit then give this course a shot. I was pleasantly suprised that this course had the variety of shots that it did. As an advanced/intermediate caliber player I had fun here. This would be a good place to take a first timer to learn the game. It is a bit off the beaten path, but sometimes the road less traveled leads to nice things. Not a must play by any means but if you are in the area then play this course. I think you will like what it has to offer.

worth the stop

5+    6/18/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: discnebraska
Pros: This is no gimme course you have to work for it.
nice disc catcher baskets. good place to get away for a few hours or camp but i would suggest that more in the fall.
Cons: Tee markers are somewhat hard to find
Other Thoughts: This is one of my local courses within a 50 mile radius, very fun to play, great warm up for bigger courses.

1    8/16/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Nice little out of the way course on State Park property.

Camping on site, would be a decent place to camp and hang out, seems like there was a variety of hiking trails and "WIHA" (Walk in Hunting Area) to explore.

Variety. Each hole had a slightly different variety, from wide open, to doglegs, to some tight slightly technical shots, in general there was enough obstacles to keep it interesting.

Amenities. Bathrooms, camping, water, ample parking and a very creepy shelter thing (the showers were full of spiders and rusting metal, the basement had a "church" style fireplace room was kind of cool).

Ace/Birdie Opportunity. Every hole is reachable in one, mostly not gimmie birdies, but the opportunity is there.

Not Crowded. I don't foresee many people making the trek out here, I'd bet the course will be yours to play as many quick rounds on as you'd like.
Cons: Navigation. Notice holes 6 and 7 when driving in, it's a bit of a walk from hole 5 to 6, I'm glad I vaguely remembered a basket on the drive in, hole 6 tee was just off the road as you walk out past the tunnel of trees. Hole 7 tee I never found, nor did I find hole 8 tee. The rest were rather intuitive, just look for the mostly grown over toe boards.

Location. I'm not sure what would bring anybody to Oberlin Kansas...

Short. Most holes were just over 200 feet, with the longest maybe approaching 300.
Other Thoughts: A worthwhile stop if you're in the area, passing by I'd stop for a quick 9 hole round and maybe even camp out there. I wouldn't make it a destination or go too far out of my way for this one though.