Flat Rock, NC
Bonclarken Retreat DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6

A gem of a disc golf course nestled in a gem of a town.

2-4    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: JBryant
Pros: - Peaceful Powerhouse is what I'd like to call Bonclarken DG Course. We were the only disc golfers our there making this much like a private disc golf experience. Play was never halted for and aside from poor shots, stress was almost non existent. It really was just a relaxing time of disc golf. This course can really challenge your game.

- The flow was good and tee boxes, although woodchips, were not that bad. Signage was fantastic for the most part.

- This is a shorter course but as I said before, it has some challenging aspects. Holes 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10 provided some unique qualities. And most holes had either trees, bushes, creeks, street signs, OB roads, tiny disc sized gaps (hole 8), etc...
Cons: - The course rough was well rough! We played it in the morning with the grass not cut. By the end of our round they were starting to cut the fields. So our afternoon rounds had shorter grass. HOWEVER, the more wooded holes were grown up quite a bit, making shot selection more difficult and errant tee shots a nightmare.

- Finding a disc from any of the areas around the ditches was sticky as mud and muck would quickly swallow your shoes. I imagine rain would make those creeks really bad.

- Finding a disc from any of the briar areas was near impossible. And on hole 15 the tall grass was not cut back from the basket enough. If you missed right or left you were searching. I see the difficulty the designers were trying to make but it isn't worth losing a disc 10 feet from the basket.

- Could use some trash cans. I'd say every three holes would be good. I did not see any trash out there which is probably due to the course being closed to the public.
Other Thoughts: - I really can't find much wrong with this course other than tall rough and thick briars. I shot -5, -8, -6 my first time every playing there so it isn't a super difficult course.

- My favorite holes were 2, 11, 12, 13, and 16.

- All in all, get permission and play Bonclarken. Then eat lunch at the bakery there in town. Great pizza there. Although we didn't partake, there are other great things to do in Flat Rock.

First course

1    9/15/2010   9/16/2010
Review By: jpbimages
Pros: The course was quiet and was pretty straightforward (or so I thought)
Cons: it may soon be closed to the public. Unfortunately in the area there are a LOT of smokers and drinkers... so the park has found beer cans and cigarette buts all over the place (place meaning along the course). So
Other Thoughts: unfortunately one group has mussed it up for the rest of us.. but luckily I know the owner so I will be able to visit from time to time (better than driving all the way to Fletcher to play those 9 holes)

Don't Be Surprised by Your Score

5+    8/26/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: Wannabe
Pros: Convenient, intuitive, well-marked layout. Nice mixture of wooded and open holes, with disc-eating hazards and water in the summer. For those with the right combination of physique and skill - big, accurate BH and FH, and accurate putting from 10m in - every hole can be birdied. (12 is tough because the basket is perched 20 feet above the fairway and behind a massive stand of mature weeds. 17 simply is long.) Easy to play within an hour, even in the summer, if you avoid the brambles, the creeks, and the bogs.
Cons: Short. Tee pads are terrible (mulch, uneven). Private Presbyterian camp; BUT, don't let that deter you. Come in, be quiet, keep your shirt on, obey the law, and no one will question you. Folks pretty much keep to themselves, even the groundskeepers. Be a steward, and you'll have no problem.
Other Thoughts: The beauty of this course is that you feel like you should shoot 18 under every time and you never will. My best is -11, but I infrequently shoot -6 or better because of the bedeviling bogeys caused by eaten discs. Get off the fairway in Bonclarken and you're toast, not to mention scratched up by some of the fiercest thorns you'll ever encounter. Watch the weed maw on 12; it's a magnet. Also, I don't play OB, and I should. If the water and the pavement are OB, expect your scores to be more restrained.
This is a great workout course, which provides opportunities for all sorts of shots. It doesn't prepare you for fast greens, though; the baskets, save for 12, are on level ground.