Flat Rock, NC
Bonclarken Retreat DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6

1 2 Next >
 Be on your best behavior.

1    7/12/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 6/7/2010
Pros:
- This is a great way to introduce kids to the sport, as noted in a previous review where the reviewer was the one introduced.
- The front nine is short enough to keeps the kids interested... let's face it, nobody wants to take nine shots to finish a hole - especially beginners. Shortness helps keep the campers interested and the visiting players feeling good about their game. And, the holes that are short... require you to hit a gap or through a bender... so they're not all gimmes.
- There is plenty of OB opportunity, which makes the shorter holes a little more interesting. I'd say more than half of the holes have OB (if you include roads).
- For a camp course, there were some interesting shots that were memorable. Hole 9 was a beautifully designed blind shot with a tree lined creek on the left and lots of disc eating bushes on the right. Hole 16 utilized the limited elevation on the course with a blind basket on the other side of a creek, perfectly positioned through a tight gap of trees ready to knock your disc in the water - a worthy birdie.
- Signs were helpful in locating the next tee-pad, and the information was accurate.
Cons:
- Some of the baskets and tee-pads are near cabins that the camp uses. There were no kids there when I played (Sunday), but if there were kids in the cabins I would feel weird about playing near them.
- This is a private course located in a church camp / religious community. I had no trouble playing here in terms of people asking me what I was doing there... but, it could happen. You're supposed to be or be with a resident, so I guess you could get kicked out. A local golfer - who was not a resident - told me as long as you're respectful, they won't bug you... although they did question him once.
- I guess gravel tee-pads are better than no tee-pads... and single chains are better than no chains... so, I guess they're not "cons"; but, I realize to some they are cons, so I decided to mention them here.
- This is a christian camp... so we must be on our best behavior in order to keep this course as an option. I would NOT suggest going out as a five-sum if you don't have permission to play... it will just draw un-needed attention and possibly spoil it for everyone.
- This is a great opportunity for local disc golfers to get involved in helping teach the game to our youth... (I'm talking about quality people, let's not just send anyone out there to teach the kids). This could help establish a report with the camp and community, and thus help us, the disc golfer, be able to play without hassle.
My Score: -8 with a bogey.

5+    7/31/2008   1/31/2009
Review By: david W
This review was updated on 5/15/2013
Pros: This course is alot of fun. Its not heavily played and stays in fairly good condition. Good use of elevation on the back 9. The front is short and slightly tight with some ob with the stream that runs through the land. The back nine will test your use of distance and acuracy (3 or 4 holes play well over 400ft.). Good baskets. Good atmosphere. Good tee signs.
Cons: Tee pads are natural and not great. The baskets on 2 and 3 are coated with sticky paint (because the area around those baskets is a paintball field used by the camp).
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to learn how to play on. I learned on this course while at camp and during the first week i started playing there i got my first ace on 16. Make sure you are on top of your manners as it is private property and they will not tolerate any shenanigans

Private oasis

5+    8/12/2008   8/12/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 12/8/2008
Pros: Beautiful course. Easy walk. Mix of wooded & open holes. Long & short. Creeks come into play as OB. It's pretty free of traffic as nobody knows about it & the kids camping don't seem too interested in it. Too many other distractions such as swimming pool & climbing wall etc.
Cons: It's a private course. During the summer the gate is wide open & there are many campers & kids running around. This makes it easy to slip in & play a round or two.
Other Thoughts: Don't make a lot of noise & keep your shirt on. No smoking or drinking allowed.
I have updated the course map to current conditions12/08.

1 2 Next >