Low Gap, NC
Camp Raven Knob Share
Uploaded By: DSCJNKY Hole #7 (Taken 8/2010)
3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Tee: After drive, walk around marsh to get to basket.

Low on merit

1    2/6/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/25/2010
Pros: There is the potential to introduce Boy Scouts to disc golf and help them earn their disc golf merit badge.
Holes 2-7 are in a very secluded natural setting with some nice woods. A couple of these holes are pretty good; they have decent length and are all woods holes. Hole 7 is a fun little ace run off a tee up on a bluff.
They have a practice basket back in the center of the camp.
Cons: -The first tee is about a mile hike from the amphitheater where you park, up rutted dirt roads. Just finding the first tee took all of the tracking skills I have. Bring your compass and orienteering gear. I only found the tee by finding other baskets, then locating the no. 1 basket, then working backward. There is a sign near the tee that has the course name on it, though. Several other tees took a good bit of scouting too.
-Holes 8 and 9 were horrible. I never did find a tee for 9. The holes were almost non-existent since there were no fairways. There were just 2 baskets in an overgrown field totally full of waist high grass, and the grass even surrounds the baskets. (Maybe it's mowed in the summer, though.) I was so concerned about losing my disc in the high grass that I just threw short dinker shots so I could kept an eagle eye on it.
-The tees they have are just cleared dirt spaces marked by thin logs. There aren't any signs, but there are a few plain posts without any markings.
Other Thoughts: My Rating: 0.6 (out of 10).
I was being generous on here with my DGCR disc rating; I'd give it 1/4 disc if I had that option.

I like the name "Low Gap", but that's not enough to bump up my rating.

I wonder if the course is no longer being used because the older guy in the camp office didn't even know that they had a disc golf course. I think that outsiders aren't supposed to be there unless they're at the camp, so I had to sweet talk my way into getting permission to play. I think it was key that the camp was closed for the winter so no one was there. He finally gave in when I flashed my DGCR Gold Trusted Reviewer card (j/k).

I sure hope this course doesn't turn teenage boys off from disc golf, especially holes 8 & 9. The course doesn't merit going to. You probably can't get in anyway, so I wouldn't bother.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course on the day I played it and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.
-More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.