Layout Extinct

Boone Woods Park - Old Layout Share

Wide open

1    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course sits in a park that is mostly open with rolling hills throughout. Nearly all the holes have some kind of elevation change, and the hills were used well for the most part. The entire course is grassy, and was well taken care of and mowed when I played. There was almost no chance of losing a disc or having issues with poison ivy.

The tee pads were all concrete, and were in decent shape for the most part. There were bridges in the few places where it was necessary to cross a small creek. Both holes 1 and 10 tee off right next to the parking lot, so you can play either 9 from there. There is also a bathroom right by the parking lot, along with several drinking fountains.
Cons: There are almost no trees in play throughout the entire course. There were only two holes that played through even a moderate amount of trees, and the majority of the holes were completely wide open.

The tee signs seemed like they were nice when new, but were in pretty sorry shape. Most were broken and unreadable, making it difficult sometimes to decide which of several visible baskets to shoot at. The navigation of the course was not always easy, as there was nothing to indicate which tee to go to next, or which basket to shoot at, both of which are important when holes are all in a large open area.

Some of the tees were sloped or cracked, which made for less than perfect footing on some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This course is very close to Idlewild, so if you are passing through the area, I would recommend playing there instead. That said, the course does have a few interesting holes, and is worth playing if you've already played the area courses and are looking to play something different.

This course would be great for beginners if it had better signage. The design is very beginner friendly, and would offer some different challenges to less experienced players. It is difficult to navigate the first time, though we met some friendly locals who led us around the course.

B- = Bit Better Than Average

1    7/25/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

welcome to the wide open

7/8/2008   7/8/2008
Review By: atthecrackofdawn
Pros: wide open but still good variety, nice rolling hills, interestingly placed baskets
Cons: terribly confusing on account of the signs are all mangled and hard to navigate from basket to next tee
Other Thoughts: if they fixed the signs this would be a nice practice course, litteraly right down the road from idlewild