Kansas City, MO
Kessler Park (Cliff Drive) Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #15 (Taken 9/2009)

1    11/10/2011   11/11/2011
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is really a tale of two halves. The first half of the course is wooded with big elevation changes, and the holes are a generally in the 200-400 foot range. I loved every one of these holes. You really see the "cliff" in Cliff Drive. The fairways were not unreasonably tight, but if you don't have a good drive that lands in the fairway, you have no shot at par.

The second half is mostly open and much longer, in the 400-800 foot range. More on those below.

Every hole has a concrete tee pad, and there are numerous pin positions on almost every hole (I think #9 only has one). The tee signs are very good, showing the various locations and distances. It was usually easy to narrow it down as to which location was being used because the short ones are obviously supposed to be visible from the tee.
Cons: Navigation here wasn't great. I had to pull up the map on my phone about every other hole to figure out which way to go. The back 9 is a little easier to navigate but a lot less interesting to play. Very few trees come into play. The challenge is mostly posed by the distance of the holes, and the OB areas (if you play the roads as OB, which is obviously the intent). There is some elevation on the back 9 (not nearly as much as the front 9), and the baskets are placed on slopes for challenging putting.

Some holes have alternate hole locations in use in addition to regular baskets. As a first timer, this was kind of confusing. But if I were a regular, I would definitely appreciate the opportunity for some variety on a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: I think this probably makes a good tournament course. The front 9 gives the edge to accurate, technical players, and the back 9 gives the big arms a chance to make up some ground. That said, I like wooded, technical courses with lots of elevation changes, and I wish more of the course was like the front 9. I'd give the front half a 4 and the back half a 2.5 or 3.

By the way, I didn't think the neighborhood was as bad as other reviews indicated, and I certainly didn't feel unsafe in the park. Keep in mind that many great disc golf courses are not in the best parts of town, and for good reason. Do you want lots of dog walkers, joggers, playground enthusiasts, and picnickers wandering through your course? Me neither. We'll keep this little gem to ourselves.

5+    7/30/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: jbradley266
Pros: - The best front nine I've ever played.
- A huge variety of shots
- Excellent use of elevation and wooded area.
- Challenging but not overly difficult
- A freaking basket hanging from the side of a rock.
Cons: - Not in the best neighborhood
Other Thoughts: I feel like this should be the best course or at least one of the best in the city/area. It has something for everyone, tight technical holes, extreme elevation changes, long wide open holes, just the right amount lefty and righty holes and a freaking basket hanging off the side of a rock. If this course was in any other part of the city it would be right up there.

It may not be the best course for beginners to start with. The better I get the more that enjoy playing this course, it's not easy but not insanely difficult, I'm looking at you Blue Valley. Just the right amount of challenge. I have to admit that the back nine (really #11 - #18) isn't all that much fun for me; not because of the course but because of my weenie arm. I did lose a disc (almost two) in the old municipal reservoir that I was fond of so that's probably peppering my opinion. But with that out of the way, I really love the front nine. Control and finesse is the name of the game and every hole has something interesting about it. The use of elevation and the woods is spectacular and oh...did I mention that there is a freaking basket hanging off the side of a rock on #8. It's the best front nine I have played so far and each time I play it seems to get better.

However, every time I play there I find myself wondering, "Where is everyone, why isn't this course crowded?" This course is better than most of the more popular courses that are always crowded, I'm looking at you Rosedale. But then I'm quickly reminded when I run into a load of trash some dumped or an unwanted pet someone left or come across a homeless couple living directly behind #2's basket, seriously right behind it. I had to lay up in order to keep my disc out of their bedroom, which was probably the right shot anyways. In all fairness someone has been showing this course some love lately because when I was there last it was super clean; maybe the couple living on #2 is also cleaning it up. I haven't even mentioned the suspect neighborhood you have drive through to get there but it's probably not the worst, here's looking at you Swope. I think that you can feel a little cornered and there's not much traffic. There always seems to be some creepy guy living in his car by #12, right about in range of my driver. I just consider it as an obstacle and laid up, avoiding the creepy guy "trap" if you will. It may also suffer some from being too close to Water Works a slightly better, more balanced, and safer course. I think the thing that really holds this course back is that it's a scary place to go and play which is a shame because this course is one of the best in the city.

Glad I got to experience this course

2-4    5/30/2009   7/10/2011
Review By: cpaquette
Pros: Several holes present an opportunity to use just about every shot imaginable. The holes up top offer a little elevation change, but the lower course was quite memorable and very technical forcing you to break out your best to thread one through the trees. Most holes seemed to be at or above the 300ft mark which is a refreshing change from a lot of other courses better suited for beginners.
Cons: I really don't have much to say that would take away from the great experience I had here. Perhaps the only thing I would caution is there are a few holes which I felt that pedestrians came into play and delayed teeing off as I don't like throwing at or near people.
Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray.

Windy course

1    12/30/2010   1/1/2011
Review By: dehammer
Pros: A good mix of woods and long open drives. It is a different layout that other courses. Great views over the river and the new bridge. Very long, new concrete tee pads.
Cons: Bad section of town. extremely windy, use heavy discs. Can loose disc in old retaining ponds ringed with wrought iron fence. It is dry, though. Needs better course markings.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely play this again, on next visit to KC.

Jekyll and Hyde

1    9/24/2010   12/23/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Very different personality with wooded technical holes on the front nine, and open field/park-type holes on the back nine.

Nice, solid Mach baskets and very good concrete tees. Lots of different elements incorporated in the design such as elevation change, trees, and even a fenced off area at the top of the hill that I would guess you don't want to have to retrieve a disc from. The map on here is pretty accurate and makes navigation a snap.

My memorable holes:
1 - Right of the bat you have a technical, wooded hole with elevation change and distance. If you can thread your drive through the trees and get a lucky upshot, you can lay up for a three
2 - Tunnel shot downhill that looks fairly simple, but looks can be deceiving.
5 - Throwing uphill with trees all around. This would be a thrilling deuce if you could hit it.
8 - Throw out from some trees next to a cliff, then one of the baskets is hanging on chain, very cool.
12 - Hard, steep drop-off on the right, don't let your drive go there like I did. After about an hour of billy-goating I finally found it. BE CAREFUL!
13 - LOOOOONG hole. You can really stretch out and let it fly on this one.
14 - Sloping down left to right, and pretty long. You can go out right with a big hyzer and let it fade back it...if you have the distance. I, sadly, did not, and went right into the tree.
17 - Big downhill drive. Difficult to hug the road on the right and keeping it from going too far left for a long upshot.
Cons: Although the map on here is pretty decent, I still struggled finding a couple of the holes in the woods on the front nine. There are also no hole distances or layouts, so on several holes I had to walk them first and make sure I was throwing to the correct basket, and to even see where the basket was.

There are also no bathrooms, road parking, no bathrooms, and no indication of where hole one is. I had to drive around the loop a couple times before I located hole one's tee, since the map on here does not show where it is now.
Other Thoughts: This was a good, fun challenge, with just a few course-amenity type shortcomings. The DG here is excellent in spite of my 3.5 rating. With a little improvement in navigation, I could see this being a 4. Significant park upgrades would be required to make it higher than that though.

If you're in the KC area, this is a definite stop you should make. I would be careful though as it seems like this part of town is not the best. Also plan ahead and make sure you don't have to use the bathroom during your round.

Diverse Course

1    8/12/2010   8/13/2010
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 1/3/2013
Pros: First half of course works its way along a line of steep drop offs and trees. With skill, both can be avoided.
The second half of the course is a nice change of pace with longer open holes.
After one round, it makes since how to get around the course, even though not marked.
Cons: Definitely not in the best part of town.
No signs at the tee pad to tell you distance or where the basket is.
A few too many long open holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a very pleasing park to the eye and has a good combination of technical and long bomb holes. If you are willing to take Prospect until it ends, and then more, to play a very good disc golf course, you should make your way out to Kessler Park.

Replay Value

1    8/12/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: kcplease
Pros: Great Mix of holes
Woods not too woodedOpen not too long (sometimes)
Cons: Some of the holes are repetitive (holes 14-18)
I got some of the least lucky bounces off of trees ever
Not very easy to find your way around first time
Terrible signage
Very difficult to judge distance on many holes
Crossing of roads way too much
Other Thoughts: This course is really much beter than I thought. Blue Valley-esqe holes for the back 5, so you get the whole Blue Valley experience with none of the insane frustration and losing of discs in maddening rough. I had a good time even with a terrible round.

P.M. me for a funny story...

2-4    7/8/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: eye-ball-sac
This review was updated on 2/19/2011
Pros: Wooded holes are very fun. Distance was fair, but hole 13 was ridiculously long for a par 3. Baskets were good...one was a hanging basket right next to a rock wall. Tee pads were big and allowed plenty of run-up. Water fountain at a hole (17?) Nice rolling hills in open section and steep inclines in wooded section
Cons: No tee signs, benches, or trash cans, but there are bag holders at most tees. Navigation is rough. On one hole You have to walk about 75 yd. to the next tee. Empty reservoir makes it extremely easy to lose a disc. (two holes play right next to it.) Open holes get very repetitive and some wooded holes barely even have a fairway. Wooded holes seemed like a dump. Hole 7 had tons of water in it. I walked in what seemed like a small stream that came out of nowhere and got my feet soaked. Bad neighborhood (P.M. me if you want to hear a funny story about that). Seemed like they set up the holes and then numbered them because the "parking lot" was right next to hole 14.
Other Thoughts: If this course got rid of the reservoir (which I know is impossible) cleared (and cleaned) some of the wooded fairways it would be a 4.5 course, but I rated it 3 (on the drop-down it says that 3 would be a course that is good) mostly because of the terrible neighborhood it's in.

If you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR explaining what is wrong with it.

Gotta play this one

2-4    5/15/2010   5/15/2010
Review By: Justsendit
Pros: This is by far my favorite course in KCMO. Easily one of my favorite courses in the US. I won't get into the break down of holes and such, but I enjoyed the technical and long aspects of this course a great deal. The holes were laid out in an amazing fashion. There were a few holes that were easily in the most visually apealing and also best usage of natural terrain that I have seen. Designed very well and alot of work has been done there to build better steps on the hills and nicer tee pads. There are alot of letfy friendly holes that are pretty technical for a righty backhander.
The only course in KC that I have to play everytime I am here.
Cons: The usual comments ring true here.
The only con on the course is, No maps, No signs. Used my phone to find a map and distances.
Parking was pretty shaky. I understood what one reviewer spoke about in trying to find a spot out of the way. It was a little muddy and can be pretty slick not that it is a con, just a consideration .
Other Thoughts: You definately do not want to go into the reservoir!
Thank you to the KCFDC and the KC municipalities for this gem of a course.

The name fits...

1    4/18/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: x3billRONIN
Pros: What a great course.

The first half of the course is moderately to heavily wooded, and uses the natural changes of elevation to create a technical front 9 that is, to date, the most challenging I have played.

The back 9 of this course is wide open and long. There are a few very old, and large trees on a few of the holes, and alot of the fairways run along the OB roads.

Overall, a great, great course.
Cons: This course is very steep, and rocky in some places, footing can be very tricky, and one slip while searching for an errant disc could send you tumbling down a steep, rocky dropoff.

It also sits just on the outskirts of what isn't the best part of KC. Probably not a place you want to play by yourself at dusk.

There are no restrooms anywhere on the course, and not really any trashcans to speak of. Broken bottles, and other trash are pretty abundant in some areas.

There are no sign markers to point the way to the next tee box, or distance from tee to pin. On a few holes, backtracking is neccesary to find your way to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: My only "complaint" about this course is that it is clearly 2 halves, the first half being wooded and techincal, the second half is wide open and long. I would have loved for these holes to have been mixed together.