Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #12 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #12 Approach ('A' Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
Wow

2-4    6/21/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: Blazemedown
Pros: 7 MILE WALK!!!
Great variety of skill and open shots.
Well groomed. Every time Ive played here, pin locations are completely different.
One of the best I've ever played
Cons: Bring ur hiking boots and ur cardio because this course is long; but beautiful
Other Thoughts: Wow!
Top 2 I've ever played

The Tyler Two Step

1    6/10/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - This is one of the nicest parks a disc golf course weaves through I've ever seen. Everything about this course let's you know how much love and care went in to it. There's multiple pads and pin position on top of position that can go from a short par 3 to a brutal par 5.

The course is 27 holes and it uses all of it to combine so many elements in to one grand design. Shorter and longer par 3's, multi shot holes that require not only gap hitting drives but force you to carefully place the disc at a turn to set yourself up for the next shot. On top of all of that there's elevation changes throughout the course as the landscape moves up from the water.

There's short tight shots that really make you work a disc and worry about going off a ledge then big shots out in the open that also require placement to keep away from the OB high grass. The design of the course really is phenomenal and it shows through from hole 1 to 27. You have to think about just about every shot on the course with the exception of a few of the shorter point and shoot pin locations.

There are so many unique features to this course it's hard to remember them all. Some really awesome greens, I mean one after another that made you go wow. There were some tucked near a small creek or near a drop off; some under the canopy of large trees in the meadow. Some were tucked inside trees or up on rocks I mean this place really has a great collection of unique pin positions.

Another great feature were the piled up logs they used to create sides to some fairway sand seperate them from other holes. They also were used as obstacles in a few places.

The multiple pins here are done in a way most courses should envy. They not only completely change the shot on many holes but change the hole aspect of the hole and it's par. They can branch the fairway off in a few places so you play different ways. I really wish I lived closer to this course so I could play it in all it's iterations.

As I mentioned earlier a creek does play through parts of the park creating some OB as well as the high grass OB I mentioned in the field. It adds just another dimension to the course that it makes it great.

Equipment - Concrete pads that were large and level. The teesigns are very well done and a little arrow shows you which position the pin is in. Great navigational aids throughout the course which are neccesary due to some long transitions. Baskets are also in good condition. There's water fountains throughout the course although not all of them worked. Kiosk at the parking lot for course info as well as a practice basket.

Atmosphere - This park is gorgeous, as I said it's one of the nicest public parks I've ever been in. There's so many elements to all of it that make it so unique and memorable. I can see why this course gets so much love and I really wish I could play it more. It has an old growth feel to most of it so the canopy is pretty high in most parts with not a lot of smaller trees. Beyond that you have rock faces and elevation changes and the creek and river next to the course. Wow it's just a superb place to put a disc golf course.
Cons: Layout - My biggest gripe, and only gripe really, with this place is the fact the longest pin positions aren't always in. I heard the complaints before I got here and when you see it you really understand how frustrating it is in a few parts. When you play a simple straight 200' shot and then walk all the way down the possible fairway that goes 500' more it kind of irritates you as to why there was even a pin position way up there.

With all the possible positions it seems like they should just leave the longs in all the time then move the shorter ones around. The erosion argument doesn't make much sense when you end up walking down the whole fairway in most places anyway. It seemed like we played the longer pins on the overall shorter holes and the shorter pins on the overall longer holes. There were definitely a few par 5 type holes we played a short little dinker par 3 on that really aggravated me. This is the one slight against this place, if the longs were always in it's a 5 for sure and definitely deserves the top course recognition it gets on this site.

There's some mandos thrown in that aren't really for safety just to make the course cheater proof. I'm always against that but it is what it is.

The transitions from hole to hole in places are super long. I get with a course like this that's probably necessary and they're marked very well but it makes a long walk even longer. If that affects you keep that in mind.

Equipment - The concrete pads were slick when we played. Most people probably don't agree but with courses such as this in that type of locale to me it makes more sense to move towards the rubber grid mats over crush and run which to me is the superior pad in all conditions.

Atmosphere - - The course seems to weave through the park in a multi use area due to a paved path you end up routing down and near quite a bit. We played early in the morning so I'm not sure how much use this part of the park gets by non disc golfers so I can't say for sure. However I can say it doesn't give you that completely secluded feeling most of us like.
Other Thoughts: As I said I really wish I could play the tournament layout so I can see what that's all about. The setup I played personally just doesn't allow me to give the course a 5 even though I definitely believe the tourney setup probably would get a 5 from me. I know that's an argument we've had on the forum and people see it differently but I can only rate what I played and what I played was a lesser version of the monster that really is Tyler.

1    6/16/2014   6/16/2014
Review By: evilempire
Pros: Beautiful views, no repetition, great signage, lots of elevation and challenges. 27 holes !
Cons: Def had to go disc hunting a couple times in the brush on the narrow areas, as well as the long grass fields.
Other Thoughts: Def worth the stop !

Great Course

1    5/23/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
Pros: *No repetition on any holes
*Balance of A,B, and C pin placements
*Great tee boxes
*Great homemade tee signs
*Well maintained
*Benches on every hole
*Trash cans throughout the course
*A few water fountains on the course
Cons: Some pros could disagree with me, but hole 23 was just way too hard. It was a tight 575 foot par 4 in C position with a downhill dogleg to the left.
Other Thoughts: This course is a legendary course, and I can't wait to come back!

I'd live here if I could

5+    4/25/2014   5/29/2014
Review By: nwinnie34
Pros: Place is just awesome, great signage, clean, organized, awesome mix of short tree holes, and massive deep open field holes, I look forward to coming back again and again, 27 holes and plenty for every skill range, 3 pin placements at each hole keeps this course new and fun every time you play.
Cons: I really cant list anything..... the course is long... so i got tired haha
Other Thoughts: Cannot wait to go back... very very cool course !

One of the Greats

5+    5/2/2014   5/15/2014
Review By: patlgn
Pros: World-class course:
-Extremely well-maintained by the park and local volunteers
-Concrete tees
-27 holes with remarkably little repetition
-Wide variety of holes (elevation, wooded, open, water)
-Constantly changing (different pads/tees for each hole)
-Good signage explaining where the pin is located on any given day, clear maps with distances
-Signs pointing to next hole with clear paths in between
-Challenging but fair fairways, always pushing risk vs reward
-In the middle of a beautiful park
Cons: Despite everything above, I'm not sure if the course really offers a signature hole ( maybe hole 9 or 17?).

On busy days there maybe be a decent number of walkers and bikers nearby. Never close enough to interfere with play, and never actually on the course, but something to be aware of.
Other Thoughts: A lot of fun to play. If you're thinking about going, do it.

Fun, but not elite

1    5/11/2014   5/13/2014
Review By: bradharris
Pros: Tyler State Park offers everything you would expect from an upper level course. It is well maintained, with concrete tees and nice signage displaying all of the pertinant information for each hole. The fairways are kept very clean, and nicely built walkways help move players through the course without causing unnecessary wear on the landscape. The layout plays primarily through the woods with a few open field holes that help mix it up a little. The fairways are fair and the rough is not overly punishing.
Cons: While the course does everything right to fit the mold of a nice course, it does nothing to really set itself apart. There are no real signature elements and no "wow" moments. It's fun to play, but not overly memorable.

Each hole features three unique pin placements, but only one basket rotating among them. This normally doesn't bother me much. But at Tyler, each pin location represents a very different challenge. The A pins play nicely for beginners, the C pins are tough championship level challenges, and the Bs fit nicely in between the two. But with just one basket, players do not have the option to choose the best layout for them. When I played, the pins were fairly evenly mixed between all three layouts. This gave me a nice sampling of each, but left me feeling like I was missing out on a lot of what Tyler has to offer. And for stat junkies, it makes comparing scores very difficult. The layout I played was just 1 of 19,683 possible configurations (some of which are better than others).

The course shares space with a few high volume walking trails. The trails don't directly interfere with the course, but I did encounter a number of pedestrians that chose to go off the paved trails. Be prepared to exercise a bit of patience, especially on a busy day.
This is a fun place to play, regardless of what layout you find it in. Although, I was a bit surprised by how highly it is rated. At no point in my round did I feel like I was on a truely elite disc golf course. It certainly ranks among the better courses I've played, but it is not at the top of that list.

Great visit

1    5/1/2014   5/1/2014
Review By: Jhayesh2o
Pros: Probably not going to say anything new that hasn't been said before in this review but I came from out of town looking to get my disc fix. I posted on the clubs Facebook page asking for someone to play a round with and within a couple of hours got a reply from the club president. While just about every other review is about the course, I think it's a huge pro when a club presents a positive experience for those of us just passing thru.

Of course the game play was great too. Lots of challenging holes that rewards power and accuracy. But at the same time a beginner can still enjoy the mix of basket placements. The course was fun to play and the scenery and elegance in its design is evident.
Cons: None really. My only grip is that the holes presented lots of doorway tees in which you have to bomb it down the fairway while keeping between two trees. In other words, you had to make it past those trees or suffer. This speaks more to my being a beginner and not having the skill to consistently make these technical skills, but the only way to improve these holes would be to offer several different routes to the basket (to the left or right, high or low). Really this is just nitpicking and forces me to work on shots I find difficult, so it's not a true con. It does however require an element of skill that could frustrate new players. That said, the shorter tee positions alleviate this for many holes.
Other Thoughts: Local course is Ryan Ranch, home of 2011 worlds. This course is very different from that course, but no less challenging or beautiful. Nice to see the east coast, where I'm from originally, can match the west coast is courses.

THE BEST

5+    12/18/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: GMarlin13
Pros: Couldn't ask for a nicer course. Signs make navigation a breeze. Beautiful park. Open shots, technical shots, elevation changes. This place is awesome!
Cons: If baskets are in C location, it can make for a tough afternoon.
Other Thoughts: You won't find a better course anywhere in the area

Is that deer following me?

1    10/10/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: Adventureortiz
Pros: Great signage. I love the spinning piece on the post to show which pin the basket is on. Benches and bag posts all over, Very well maintained park in general. The course had a great variety with some nice challenging woods shots. I was playing in the fall and my driver was yellow... bad call on my part. It was fun to rip shots around wooded fairways... not so fun searching for my yellow disc in yellow leaves.
Lots of signs pointing to next tees.
This course also has a few "pedistal" baskets... mounted up on these really cool landscaped structures. Very cool to look at and make for some persicion approach shots.
Cons: Be sure you pay attention to the next tee signs as you walk down the fairways... if the basket is in the farthest pin, you may have past the sign for next tee and need to go back to look... a few holes didn't have these signs down near the "c" pin position.
This is less of a con and more of a question or something to think about if you don't play this course regularly.... Par for some of the holes was 4 or 5 and I can completely agree when the basket is in the "c" position but if it is in "a"... that would be way high so I assume you adjust par based on pin position but didn't see that on the signage... maybe it is written somewhere else but I know at least one hole was par 5 but the basket was like 300' straight away down a wooded cooridor. C pin was Way back tucked off to the right which clearly warranted the par 5.
Other Thoughts: I got to travel all across PA this week and see a variety of top rated courses in PA... I did like this one the best. Clearly well established and loved. The Park offers great amenities, bathrooms... pavilions. There are even water fountains out on the course though I think it was disconnected for the season. Absolutely worth a drive and trip to go play this course. Lots of variety and 27 holes with 2 tee pads per... so you could play all day and get a new look all day. I play a lot of wooded courses up in New England and this is what I hope our courses look like in 20 years.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11