Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #23 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #23 Short Tee

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
 One of the best free public courses around

1    8/12/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: TBabb
Pros: This course is easily the best I've ever played on. Tee pads are in great condition. Baskets are great and easy to spot with the orange number on top. There is comprehensive signage for navigation. Every tee sign tells you what position the pin is in. The place is clean as a whistle with clear defined fairways. The course is well designed and will test every facet of your technique. The fairways are well maintained. Benches on every hole. Water fountains throughout the course. Public restrooms present. Convenient parking. Elevation adds to the challenge. The park is gorgeous and walking trails are kept separate from the course. Large groups were really courteous about letting smaller groups play through and the locals really embrace disc golf culture. I could go on...
Cons: There really aren't any. It can be a bit crowded on weekends (but that's cause it's so awesome). Also, there are some long walks between holes but the scenery is so beautiful you won't even care.
Other Thoughts: I didn't have time to play the entire course but I played enough of the course to be confident in my rating. This course sets the standard for public courses around the country. There are lots of ways for people to support the course (they have custom stamped discs, volunteer work days, memberships, etc...) Make sure you have several hours to play the whole thing. I can't wait to come back.

Tippecanoe’s Counterpart

1    7/27/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Fantastic tee areas: Long, wide, level concrete pads, surrounded by a rim of mulch. Signs showing the distances/shape of the various pin positions, and also indicating which position the basket currently is in. Benches, and posts with plenty of baghooks.

Multiple pin-positions per hole. Several holes with multiple tees. Between the map and many directional signs, the course was quite easy to follow.

Very nicely groomed. Many mulched walking paths, lined with cut logs, and many mulched greens, too. Uniform, ~7ft. high triangles-of-logs used as obstacles on some holes. Not a bit of trash
Cons:
Longish walks and/or re-tracing of steps between some baskets to tees.
The course is set, primarily in the wooded area, and bits of neighbouring open space, in a portion of a very large, public park. Disc-eating shule is minimal/non-existent on the wooded holes, and the out-of-bounds tall grass found on the open holes is typically a decent distance off the fairways.

With three wildly-differing length (average of ~225' short, ~350' mid, ~420' long) pin positions per hole, you won't know what you'll encounter when you visit Tyler, but it's all good - quite good. The day I played the course, 1/3rd of the baskets were in the A-pins, ~1/2 in the B, and only a few in the C.

In addition in the variety of distances you'll likely face when playing the course, you'll also have variety regarding …
- Elevation - Flat? Of course. Subtle up/down? Yeah. Steeply down/up early/late? Sure. Up-n-over rise/across valley? Yup. Continuous/variable? Got it.
- Shape - At times you might feel as if you're throwing a lot of right-turners, and other times, left-turners, but as you review your round on the whole, it appears to balance out Turns vary from subtle to sharp, and for some the C-pins, the turn for your approach will often mirror that of your drive.
- Tightness - from wide open to challenging-but-fair, nothing uber-tight. On most holes, errant throws will still offer a chance to scramble to save par.

Favourite hole - most of them? 23B is the one I remember most. Straight up the hill on a narrow path, thick trees along the left, thinner line of trees road on right. Assuming you make it to the top successfully, another straight down-the path shot to the left is needed, with just a touch of fade, as the basket sits on a steep, wooded slope - I was thrilled with my '4'.

I have yet to play a poor course in a PA State Park, and many of them fall into my top 10% of the 260 courses I've played. With Tyler, Nockamixon, and other good courses to the East, Deer Lakes, Moraine, and other good courses to the West, and Quakers, Whispering Falls and below-the-radar Coyote Hill in the Central, think Pennsylvania for your next extended disc golf vacation!

Wonderful

5+    5/22/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: Bookmarkbros
Pros: Great variations of tees and baskets
Great drainage
Variation of open and wooded holes
3 diffrent hole locations per each hole
Cons: not many except 1 or 2 of the holes are confusing to get to.
Other Thoughts: There is lots of shade but bring water any way because it can get hot.

Must play course

1    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: Wilder
Pros: -Plenty of parking and first tee sign is on the left side when you pull in the lot.
-27 holes that really test your accuracy.
-Most of the holes are designed differently.
-Signs are put up around the park which makes each hole easy to navigate.
-Concrete tee pads on all 27 holes. Most of the holes have a short and a long tee pad.
-All of the holes have multiple basket positions.
-Tree limbs are placed on the ground to show you where to next tee is.
-On the holes in the woods there is a lot of mulch and dirt which means it is difficult to lose a disc. If there is grass it is trimmed, even off the fairway.
-There are piles of wood on most holes that require placement shots instead of a rip off the tee.
-The holes that are outside of the woods are open and have OB in the long grass. The long grass is trimmed as low as the grass in the fairway but you can clearly tell where the long grass should be. There are also stakes that show where the OB is.
-Baskets are all in great condition as well as the signs and tee pads.
-I counted 3 working water fountains.
-Public bathrooms are also out in the woods.
Cons: -Not many at all.
-Some of the pin positions were short which means a hole that could have been a 450 foot par 4 and challenging was a 170 foot putter throw.
-Some of holes are near the walking paths. And I don't think some people that are just walking through the woods understand there is a disc golf course because on hole 3 people were walking straight up the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Anyone who loves disc golf and is looking to play a great course, play Tyler. You will not be disappointed. The course is so well maintained which will attract more and more disc golfers. The mandos are perfectly placed. They don't take away any lines that you could possibly take. They just make the holes require more accuracy. If you live within 2 hours of Tyler the drive is worth it. All of the disc golfers here were also friendly as well as the walkers (even if the walk in the fairway they apologize right after). Overall, Tyler is a great disc golf course and just a great environment. Play here, you will not regret it.

UofADiscGolf

1    6/4/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: rwblack
Pros: I'm from the Midwest and just moved to NJ for an internship this summer. This was one of the first courses I've checked out. I've played courses all over the country but this was truly something special. The course is manicured to perfection and has a great variety of shots. After playing 100+ courses this without a doubt is now in my top 10. Play this if you have a chance. I was lucky enough to get to play with the course captain and a few of his assistants.
Cons: I can't think of many cons. The wood piles were maybe slightly overdone. I also wish that I would have gotten a chance to play some of the tougher pin placements.
Other Thoughts: All in all I left this course feeling incredibly satisfied. A solo day trip from New Brunswick, NJ that was well worth the drive. I highly recommend this course.

As Good as it Gets

5+    6/8/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: bob s
This review was updated on 4/1/2013
Pros: Tyler State Park is a beautiful setting for any activity. The fact that it is home to an excellent Disc Golf Course makes it an oasis. It offers exponential variety in its holes, with multiple tee pads and multiple pin locations on just about every hole. Oftentimes, there is a mix of short and long, purposely laid out so as to challenge the advanced player while encouraging the casual and novice players. (To give you a feel for how many variations there are on this course, there are 314928 different combinations or layouts for the front nine holes alone. The same number applies to the 20 thru 27. 10 thru 18? Try twice that number...) The local club continuously improves the course. New ideas are discussed and implemented on a regular basis. It is easily accessible, offers amenities galore (running water on the course - where else do you find that?) - and is home to many leagues, events and programs that benefit anyone and everyone. The efforts of the staff cannot be overstated.
Cons: Absolutely the only con I can think of is the punishing consequence of wayward putts on holes 4 (b) and 23 (b and c). I suppose this is easily remedied by just making the putts.
Other Thoughts: I am new to the game but have seen and been part of a large number of changes to this course in just the 6 months I've been around. I am blown away by the amount of time and energy the BCDGA has devoted to this course and the game of Disc Golf. I am humbled by the sincerity of certain club members when they offer help to my game or comment on the work that has been done here. My only wish was that I had discovered all of this 20 years ago.

Immaculate & Beautiful

1    6/7/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: raynger27
Pros: Tyler State Park is a gorgeous setting for a disc golf course. The level of care and maintenance is evident; people take a lot of pride in this course. The tee signs are great, the tee pads are all cement, large, and in great shape, and the baskets are nice. The fairways are all well defined, and there are even logs that line them, making them even more pronounced. The biggest pluses are the "next tee" signs. Navigation the first time through, though straightforward, is a little difficult, so these signs were key. Very helpful and clear. I also like the sign on the tee signs that let the player know where the pin is that particular day. I am also a huge fan of the lack of underbrush in the woods. Made finding an errant disc easy and allowed me to breeze through an entire round of 27 holes in 2-2.5 hours with virtually no searching for discs. New benches at each hole, bag hooks, and a few bathrooms throughout the course made the round enjoyable and add to the overall experience. There were even signs to clarify the rules (mandos, out of bounds, etc).
Cons: I think an individual's experience here can vary greatly on where the pin positions happen to be that particular day. Overall, 'A' positions are not very challenging or exciting. I understand the need to have them and not overburden a player with a ton of monster C positions, it is just a downer to go and see the potential a hole can have, but you happen to be there when the pin is in 'A'. Also, the par is etched on the tee sign, but depending on the pin position, the par may be different. I actually made a spreadsheet to bring with me in the future to know what the par is depending on the pin location.

One other con is that, on the whole, the holes were vanilla compared to some Lehigh Valley courses (Nockamixon, Jordan Creek). One day after playing, not many holes stick out to me as memorable.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I enjoyed playing this course, but I was disappointed based on the scores the course had received. I guess I expected more. Don't get me wrong, the course is fantastic and immaculate, just not a 5 star course for me based on the layout I played. I only had 5 'C' positions and 9 'A' positions, and I think that has a lot to do with my rating. I would check out the tee sign and see some awesome potential basket placements only to look up and see the basket 225 ft away in the 'A' position straight in front of me. Big bummer. I will be back, and may adjust my rating upward, but I can only rate what I played.

Tyler Durden

1    5/13/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 27 holes with two concrete tees, nice tee signs, multiple pin placements with rotating sign for pin location, nice baskets. Excellent use of terrain and elevation for hole and shot type variety. Mostly wooded and provides good risk vs reward on most shots. Nice walking paths to guide to the next hole. Not much underbrush in the woods.
Cons: Really nit picking for cons here and was close to giving it a five disc rating. There's a couple fairways that are a bit unfair and can send a good shot careening ob and lost. Tall grass ob on the few open holes. The flow is little funky. I'm not sure what to make of the wood pile bunkers and roller dams since the holes are tough enough without them, and some could help a bad shot.
Other Thoughts: This really is an enchanted forrest and I really love Tyler!!! It's one of my favorite courses and it's truly a deserving championship level course and the cons are just minor. Well worth my road trip from DC even though I typically prefer to play the hardest layouts, I was actually glad to play a mix of pin placements after seeing where some of the C pins lay and it was refreshing to have some birdie 2's, with birdie 3's and 4's. In all the C pins this maybe the toughest challenge mentally from what I can tell. The course is also not so hard for the beginner typically. I played Nockamixon after Tyler for a totally rediscoulous day of disc golf!!!

Hard work shows

5+    5/2/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Kavie_Large
Pros: Well maintained ever changing course with loads of challenge and variety. Well marked with three different pin selections. Several water fountains on the course and 3 bathrooms along the way. Quite a few challenging spots to lose a disc at. Trees galore!
Cons: Some of the water fountains are no longer on and that's hard to explain to my dog. Quite a few challenging spots to lose a disc at.
Other Thoughts: End of hole 24 or tee of hole 25 great place to watch a sunset.
Great place to "watch the creek" and or catch a trout at hole 7 (insanity now)at the right of the bottom of the steps.

Am I In Heaven?

5+    4/26/2012   4/28/2012
Review By: TheBirdGuy
Pros: This place is astoundingly fun and beautiful. I am fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from the course, so I play here 4-6 times a week. I am a recent die-hard fan of the sport and I have been playing since January 2010.

As many people have already said, this course is beautiful. It has holes packed with trees, uphill/downhill, left and right curve, long and short, a few with water hazards. They have water fountains spread out every 5 holes or so. The course is located in a park so there are trails/roads that people are walking/biking/driving through... you might not like that, but it just makes the atmosphere that much more beautiful for me. It's a place for everyone to go and relax.They switch up the pin location frequently (A, B, and C). They provide scorecards with pencils on the communal bulletin board in the parking lot (you can also print them out here). This place is a blast.

I'd say the reason Tyler State Park is ranked Top 10 in the world for courses is because it's managed by volunteers, which means people are truly dedicated to the sport and to the beauty and architecture of the course. Joe Mela has done an incredible job with the place. The design is incredible. They set up some obstacles with fallen trees, they just built new tee platforms and benches, they have unique and accurately drawn out hole preview boards, they have poles at each hole so you can hang your bag on them. They have it all. It's hard to believe something so awesome could be free and so easily available.

Come to Tyler State Park... it's worth it, it's fun, it's difficult and it will blow your freaking mind.
Cons: What could the cons possibly be... maybe the one thing I would say is that #13 has 3 mandos and that is a little frustrating... it's my least favorite of the holes, but I still love it and can't really be considered a con, which just goes to show how awesome this course really is.
Other Thoughts: It's amazing how well maintained the place is. People are nice and everyone is there for the same reason... they want to have fun and experience the architecture and uniqueness of Tyler State Park. A bonus is that you sometimes run into professional players who have tips for you if you think to ask. Some friends and I ran into Glenn Patterson - who is a friend of Joe Mela's and has played on his team in some tournaments - and he gave us some tips on how to improve our drives without hesitation (he is a monster with his drives). He is a perfect example of the people involved and the people there. Amazing Disc Golf community. By the way, he is there all the time practicing on the 15th hole... you will most likely see him.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11