Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #26 (Taken 4/2012)

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
 Speachless

1    10/12/2008   2/15/2009
Review By: disc-o maniac
Pros: An Amazing course with a mixture of open and wooded holes. With 3 different hole positions you really never go back playing the same layout, some holes are along a man made waterfall which is just amazing and even though it is a long 27 hole day there are many water fountains, rest spots, and just nice scenary to relax and just say "wow"
Cons: well its a 27 hole course to be prepared to stay there for a very long time because once you start you really just cant stop since like previously said it doesnt go in 9 hole increments. Also many disc golfers there when i went so there was a lot of waiting or speeding up you hole. pedestrians can also be a problem because some holes are over or near the park path just keep an eye on your disc because i lost a disc due to a person taking it when i wasnt looking
Other Thoughts: all and all an amazing course that i would go back to time after time. im even entering in my first tournament in july over there. i would recommend this to any disc golfer because those of you that haven't played this course.... you dont know what your missing :)

1    11/10/2008   2/13/2009
Review By: nosajeel99
Pros: This course covers a lot of ground and, as such, you get to play a lot of different types of holes. There are open holes and tight, wooded holes. The holes are mostly wooded, but not too much so. There are some really spectacular views and some really tough shots. The course is very fair. A good shot gives you a fair chance at a birdie (depending on the pin position). These wooded fairways do what I think disc golf is supposed to do: control the flight of a disc in different ways. There was always a way and I don't think I ever felt like throwing my hands up in the air because I didn't know how I was going to drive the fairway.

I loved the wooded fairways. The trees and large branches that had fallen were used to line the fairway in several holes, which made the course feel really nice.
There is a wonderful system for marking which pin placement the basket is currently in. When I was there, it did not appear to be a pattern for where the pin placements were.

The course was really well marked and I was never lost on the course.

Cons: There seems to be a lot of luck on which course you will actually play. When I went, I ended up playing a lot of the A position baskets, which generally were easier. That disappointed me some because many of the other placements looked so neat. Also, their pin placements are drastically different - so drastic that comparing scores across several layouts is pointless. Many of the A position baskets are 3s, no doubt. The C position baskets would add several strokes to even the best disc golfer. I appreciate the variety that this gives to those people who play the course every week, but for me who will only get to play it a few times a year (if that) it is a little sad to play a 250' hole, walk the rest of the hole imagining what shots I would be taking if only the basket were placed elsewhere.

That really is my biggest critique of the course, which in the grand scheme of things is minute. Another thing that I would list as a negative: there are long walks between some of the holes (another small thing).

Other Thoughts: I loved the final hole where the 27 pin was in the "island" of the driveway turnaround. (This was one of the few C positions I got to play.) I am of the thinking that more tee pads, fewer baskets is a better decision in the long run, and this course is a prime example of why. I hope when you go, you get to play some of the holes I didn't. Although, I am looking forward to going back and trying out some of those C positions.

What a course!

1    2/6/2009   2/6/2009
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: Wow, this course really made me enjoy disc golf. I haven't played many courses but this one presented itself to me as a top notch course. Where to start?
When you pull into the park there are signs leading you to the disc golf parking lot/course, how cool. There is a giant bulletin board with all sorts of course info and a map. At the first tee and every other tee there's a hole layout and a spiny thing to let you know which position the pin is currently in. That might be the best thing I've ever seen, most courses don't really care if you know which position the pin is at. There are also signs pointing to the next tee, usually there are multiple signs!!! To make things wonderful there are bag hangers at every hole!!!! wow!! I didn't have to put my bag in the snow at all! Benches too! Did I mention that all tee pads are concret and large enough to get things done.

As for the layout of the course:
Every hole has 3 pin positons and sometimes 4. They are moved on a cycle every 3 weeks and for tournaments. Keeps things really spicy and interesting. That's nice for people who want to better their score, knowing that they will be back to that "desired" position in a few weeks. Most A positions are easy and B's are also not that bad. C's are nuts, I'm not sure how someone can bomb a disc 500+ feet down a 10-30 foot fairway and not hit any trees. Maybe god can. Being from Florida I don't get to play in some seriously heavly wooded coures, that challenge was great. Every shot is very technical, well most are. Some holes have serious eleveation change and others have a huge risk/reward factor. Too many holes for me to remember details about each one but they all are special in their own way, just like us when we were little... The use of logs and other wood items make some holes challenging and senic. I'm sure it's a whole other ball game where there isn't 6 inches of snow. Something new I've never seen before was the use of mandatory trees/markers, your disc has to goto the left or right of the tree otherwise it's a stroke and a drop in the drop zone. Great idea, it makes short holes much more challenging. Great course, loads of fun.
Cons: Cons, hmm not many, the course is pretty nifty and I didn't have some of the other problems other players had. Hmm there's gotta be one... OH there were no score cards, OMG pisses me off sooo much, hahaha I didn't even know course gave out score cards until this trip up north.
Other Thoughts: What an experience, I'm bummed I only got to play this course once. Plan was to play it at least twice but I met up with some guys and it took a bit longer. I would definatly drive back here to do it again if given the oppertunity. It's a great course with a dedicated group of guys taking care of it. I learned a few things I'm going to try and implement at my home course. My experience was in the winter with no leaves and lots of snow, I'm sure this course is completely different in the summer and spring. If this site ranks this course seventh, Flip city and Idylwild better be amazing. Off to Warwick next to give it a spin.

Always Improving Dedicated Volunteers

2-4    8/15/2008   1/11/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 9/30/2011
Pros: Plenty to like here. I love this course. The tee signs are the best I have ever seen with the knobs turned to the exact pin location. The woods are dense but well groomed so there is really minimal undergrowth or shule to waste your time looking for your disc in. Some of the trees are marvels in themselves. Unique artificial hazzards such as palisade walls and elevated pins and woodpiles that enhance rather than detract from the experience. decent tee pads. More than one tee pad for most holes. Big clean bathrooms. Big Clean course. I love 27 holes over 18. 18 never seems to be enough so 27 is appreciated. Some really fun elevation and good use of stream beds, sloping cliffsides, a couple of big open field shots that break up the woods a bit. Water fountains on the course. Plenty of parking and information available. This course seems to improve for the better every time I go there. Teaches you to control your drives rather than just blast away recklessly. Plenty of people playing so it is usually easy to ask advice or follow another group around if your unsure where the next hole is. Good summer course gets you out of the sun. Good winter course gets you out of the wind.
Cons: I am sure gonna make some enemies here. I have to be honest, and this is just one man's opinion. I personally wish the course had permanent C position baskets and multiple tee pads rather than always moving the baskets. I really want to experience this course in the long positions but it seems to always be in the beginner or mixed allignment. So unlike other premier courses you show up and don't always get a chance to challenge yourself with really really amazing long distance golf. The difference is huge here too. Many holes are 200-500 ft longer depending on pin positions. I would finish a 300 foot hole and see another pin position like 200-300 feet up a ravine and think damn that looks fun. SIGH! The open field holes are nice but the grass is a real nuisance to the right of the fairway.....A tractor could take care of that in 3 minutes. Come on Park Service give the volunteers a hand... I don't mind grass that is a little higher than the fairway as a hazzard but when it is beyond waist level it is a bit obnoxious. In disc golf, the hazzard should be too your score, not your time(endless fruitless search), your health(itchy and ticky), wallet (lost discs), and good mood(lost disc that was your favorite). I never understand why people insist on hazzards being so punitive. Losing a disc can ruin your whole day if it is a disc you rely on as part of your game. Of the 27 holes I think 23 are totally wooded. Not much chance to break out your Big Texas Arm haha. Seems to be plenty of big huge deerfields here I wish they had a few permanent open holes to counter the woods a bit. (update: played course in the longs and frankly it's too much hallway golf. As in the fairways are too tight for the length of the fairways. This is not sour grapes...many players better than me feel the same way. I'm not sure what the ratio of fairway width to length is but Tyler in the Cs breaks it)
Other Thoughts: This course has some people who really care about her. The amount of work that has gone into it is stellar. I am sure one day they will purchase or collect some extra used baskets and there will be permanent long positions. I will come back and raise my score then. Some of the holes seem rather tight for their distance. But I am putting that here and not as a con because this may be a reflection of my playing ability and did not affect my rating. I guess all my bitching about high grass is always remedied by the fact that I usually find a lost disc when I lose my own. I would suggest anyone in the area to come play Tyler it is worthwhile and it is not far from I 95 in Pennsylvania or the PA Turnpike. A must play for beginners and experts alike.

One of the Best

5+    2/8/2009   10/31/2008
Review By: valkyriefb11
This review was updated on 2/8/2009
Pros: Tyler State Park is one of the best DG courses. It is 27 holes of beautifully manicured, well-kempt, amazing disc golf. Tyler offers almost everything one could want in a disc golf course.
All holes but #4, 5 & 14 have three pin placements: hole 4 has one, but three tee pads and holes 5 & 14 which have 4 pin placements each. All of the teepads are concrete and are in excellent condition. The course has amazing signage on the course. Every hole features a layout of the hole, lengths, par and what placement the pin is in. Although some of the holes are separated by a short walk the paths are clearly marked where to go.
The vast majority of the holes are mildly to heavily wooded, but there are also 5 open holes. Several of the holes require very accurate shots in order to avoid steep slopes into Neshaminy Creek. Hole 9's new C pin placement is on the edge of a sloping drop into the creek, making an overshot very dangerous. Hole 14 in the C2 pin placement is in the Y part of the trunk of a tree, offering one of the most unique pin placements. Tyler also features several elevated basket positions. Elevation is very varied with a good selection of level, uphill and down hill shots. The last 9 (19-27) were recently renovated with several holes being moved and rearranged (Holes 21 and 22 are entirely new). The course is also long, with several of the holes in the C pin position reaching 700+ feet, so be prepared for a strenuous round of DG. The course is very challenging and when all of the holes are in C par is 102 for all 27 holes.
The park has plenty of areas for picnicking and there are restrooms at several points on the course.
Cons: Its hard to find a con with Tyler State Park, but
The park service gets lax cutting the rough during the summer months and it can get unruly.
Water is lacking, so bring your own, and the restrooms close during the winter.
One thing I have begun to notice as I develop a fuller X-step is that some of the tee-pads are a bit small ... not all, but a few are.
Other Thoughts: Hole 10 in the C position is my personal favorite hole. The approach crosses a small creek to a pin placement behind a low stone wall for a picturesque hole.
If you are looking for a place to eat, Chick-fil-A is right across the street. That's where all the local DGers go after a round.
Bucks County Disc Golf Alliance features several great tournaments, doubles, several leagues and other fun activities for disc golfers of all ages. Tyler is also home to the Eric C. Yetter Cup.
There are always areas of improvement at any course, but Tyler merits a 5 rating. You will not be disapointed if you play this course.
This course is a must play for anyone looking to play a challenging top-notch course.

Excellent course

2-4    8/12/2008   8/26/2008
Review By: nascent
Pros: Very well marked course. Every hole has a colored wood engraving showing exactly how that hole is layed out. It is very well maintained and you can see that people take pride in the course. There were many challenging holes and some unique fun holes. Of the 27 holes, I only remember about 5 that play in open areas so be prepared to beat up your discs as you are playing in the woods most of the time.
Cons: Long course; it is 27 holes and it doesn't really play in nine hole increments. So you can't just play 1-9 or 10-18 or 19-27 and end up back where you started. However, every hole is worth playing so just make sure you set aside enough time to play all 27.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while in Newtown on business travel. I am so glad I took the time to play! My first night out I meet up with a couple of the locals. One of them was the Director of Maintenance and he was a blast to play with. He took a lot of pride in the course and it showed. I highly recommend this course, a must play if you are ever in the area!

5+    8/10/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: fbrookes
Pros: I agree that this is one of the most well marked courses I have played. It is the best course I have played to this point. the variety of holes is terrific, it is quite challenging and yet no holes (I think) are impossibly long or dense. Elevated chains are fun and frustrating all at once. I recommend taking a break after hole nine and sit on the rock over looking the water. It is a very satisfying round of disc golf.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: It is a pretty long round so come prepared!

Accuracy is key

7/30/2008   8/3/2008
Review By: DiscGolfMonthlyTV
Pros: 27 baskets, Multiple pin and tee placements, restrooms, water fountains, trash cans near many tee pads, concrete tee pads, many par 4 holes as well as a few par 5, baskets placements changed frequently, and not to mention a host club that works hard to make this course the best it can be.
Cons: restrooms near course close in winter months, a few fountains do not work
Other Thoughts: This course is host to the only A tier PDGA event in Eastern Pennsylvania, and also hosts a C tier event in the late spring, the host club also organizes about 5 non-PDGA sanctioned events per year, in addition the club runs two leagues per year.

Grounds Keeper @ Tyler

7/23/2008   7/23/2008
Review By: Hobie
Pros: Being the Grounds Keeper for this course ...I'm a bit bias. But I am confident that this course will be one of the cleanest DG courses you'll ever play. With high hardwood canopy, this course is for the most part shady and comfortable on hot sunny days. Tee signs on every hole indicate all three pin positions, distance, par to C pin, and direction of next tee. Also, on the tee marker post, a dial indicates what position the pin is in. Next Tee signs positioned on every fairway. Water fountains are between holes 6&7, 15&16, and along fairway of 20. Garbage cans on #5, 12, 14, 19, 20, 22, & 27. Practice basket available at parking lot. Map and tournament info on bulletin board also at parking lot (Website has scorecard and map). Benches at holes #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, & 21. Multiple pins make this a wonderful course for every type of player. When front 18 are in the C position the Par is 70 (WCP=68). One of the best courses I've ever played. Outstanding local club works hard at maintaining the course and has excellent relationship with wonderful park staff and personnel.
Cons: Mostly wooded course makes for a lot of clean up after a windy storm. Course could use more water fountains...so bring a water bottle on a hot day.
Other Thoughts: Designed by Joe "The Technician" Mela. I recommend that you stay in the fairway. Winter and Summer leagues with flexible start times. Lots of women players. Great Grounds Keeper that goes by "Willie"...don't let him catch you littering...(including cig butts) its a $300 fine. This club takes "keeping the course clean" very seriously!

Sweltering Woods

6/7/2008   7/1/2008
Review By: Asvetic
Pros: This course plays through the woods, with lots of elevation changes. The interesting thing with this course is the use of multiple Tee pads and pin locations. Each hole was set to one of these 3 locations (A,B,C). It seemed to vary per hole, and I assumed the difficult for the hole increased depending on that setting. All the holes were marked with signs, however the signs weren't very accurate. Large, level concrete pads were set with plenty of running room for strong drives. The majority of the holes were long, with only a few short finesse holes sprinkled in. This course will push your skills, but more it'll push your stamina for long drives over and over again. There were lots of elevation changes on this course as well. Some of the pins were also elevated on man-made bunker boxes.
Cons: Get ready to hike. This course is spread out. Several holes end with lots of hiking to the next tee. There were a few times we got lost trying to find the next hole (especially after hole 13, the trench hole?!) Bring water, we didn't see any water fountains while playing, and this is a demanding course.
Other Thoughts: We played on one of the hottest, most humid days of this year. 90+ with a real feel of 104. It was intense, but we were glad the majority of the holes played through the woods. Once we got to 17 and 18, sweat was just pouring off of us.

I liked this course, it was really challenging. If you're looking for something that's going to test you drive accuracy and distance, this is the course for you.

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11