Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 4/2012)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
 UofADiscGolf

1    6/4/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: rwblack
Pros: I'm from the Midwest and just moved to NJ for an internship this summer. This was one of the first courses I've checked out. I've played courses all over the country but this was truly something special. The course is manicured to perfection and has a great variety of shots. After playing 100+ courses this without a doubt is now in my top 10. Play this if you have a chance. I was lucky enough to get to play with the course captain and a few of his assistants.
Cons: I can't think of many cons. The wood piles were maybe slightly overdone. I also wish that I would have gotten a chance to play some of the tougher pin placements.
Other Thoughts: All in all I left this course feeling incredibly satisfied. A solo day trip from New Brunswick, NJ that was well worth the drive. I highly recommend this course.

As Good as it Gets

5+    6/8/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: bob s
This review was updated on 4/1/2013
Pros: Tyler State Park is a beautiful setting for any activity. The fact that it is home to an excellent Disc Golf Course makes it an oasis. It offers exponential variety in its holes, with multiple tee pads and multiple pin locations on just about every hole. Oftentimes, there is a mix of short and long, purposely laid out so as to challenge the advanced player while encouraging the casual and novice players. (To give you a feel for how many variations there are on this course, there are 314928 different combinations or layouts for the front nine holes alone. The same number applies to the 20 thru 27. 10 thru 18? Try twice that number...) The local club continuously improves the course. New ideas are discussed and implemented on a regular basis. It is easily accessible, offers amenities galore (running water on the course - where else do you find that?) - and is home to many leagues, events and programs that benefit anyone and everyone. The efforts of the staff cannot be overstated.
Cons: Absolutely the only con I can think of is the punishing consequence of wayward putts on holes 4 (b) and 23 (b and c). I suppose this is easily remedied by just making the putts.
Other Thoughts: I am new to the game but have seen and been part of a large number of changes to this course in just the 6 months I've been around. I am blown away by the amount of time and energy the BCDGA has devoted to this course and the game of Disc Golf. I am humbled by the sincerity of certain club members when they offer help to my game or comment on the work that has been done here. My only wish was that I had discovered all of this 20 years ago.

Immaculate & Beautiful

1    6/7/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: raynger27
Pros: Tyler State Park is a gorgeous setting for a disc golf course. The level of care and maintenance is evident; people take a lot of pride in this course. The tee signs are great, the tee pads are all cement, large, and in great shape, and the baskets are nice. The fairways are all well defined, and there are even logs that line them, making them even more pronounced. The biggest pluses are the "next tee" signs. Navigation the first time through, though straightforward, is a little difficult, so these signs were key. Very helpful and clear. I also like the sign on the tee signs that let the player know where the pin is that particular day. I am also a huge fan of the lack of underbrush in the woods. Made finding an errant disc easy and allowed me to breeze through an entire round of 27 holes in 2-2.5 hours with virtually no searching for discs. New benches at each hole, bag hooks, and a few bathrooms throughout the course made the round enjoyable and add to the overall experience. There were even signs to clarify the rules (mandos, out of bounds, etc).
Cons: I think an individual's experience here can vary greatly on where the pin positions happen to be that particular day. Overall, 'A' positions are not very challenging or exciting. I understand the need to have them and not overburden a player with a ton of monster C positions, it is just a downer to go and see the potential a hole can have, but you happen to be there when the pin is in 'A'. Also, the par is etched on the tee sign, but depending on the pin position, the par may be different. I actually made a spreadsheet to bring with me in the future to know what the par is depending on the pin location.

One other con is that, on the whole, the holes were vanilla compared to some Lehigh Valley courses (Nockamixon, Jordan Creek). One day after playing, not many holes stick out to me as memorable.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I enjoyed playing this course, but I was disappointed based on the scores the course had received. I guess I expected more. Don't get me wrong, the course is fantastic and immaculate, just not a 5 star course for me based on the layout I played. I only had 5 'C' positions and 9 'A' positions, and I think that has a lot to do with my rating. I would check out the tee sign and see some awesome potential basket placements only to look up and see the basket 225 ft away in the 'A' position straight in front of me. Big bummer. I will be back, and may adjust my rating upward, but I can only rate what I played.

Tyler Durden

1    5/13/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 27 holes with two concrete tees, nice tee signs, multiple pin placements with rotating sign for pin location, nice baskets. Excellent use of terrain and elevation for hole and shot type variety. Mostly wooded and provides good risk vs reward on most shots. Nice walking paths to guide to the next hole. Not much underbrush in the woods.
Cons: Really nit picking for cons here and was close to giving it a five disc rating. There's a couple fairways that are a bit unfair and can send a good shot careening ob and lost. Tall grass ob on the few open holes. The flow is little funky. I'm not sure what to make of the wood pile bunkers and roller dams since the holes are tough enough without them, and some could help a bad shot.
Other Thoughts: This really is an enchanted forrest and I really love Tyler!!! It's one of my favorite courses and it's truly a deserving championship level course and the cons are just minor. Well worth my road trip from DC even though I typically prefer to play the hardest layouts, I was actually glad to play a mix of pin placements after seeing where some of the C pins lay and it was refreshing to have some birdie 2's, with birdie 3's and 4's. In all the C pins this maybe the toughest challenge mentally from what I can tell. The course is also not so hard for the beginner typically. I played Nockamixon after Tyler for a totally rediscoulous day of disc golf!!!

Hard work shows

5+    5/2/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Kavie_Large
Pros: Well maintained ever changing course with loads of challenge and variety. Well marked with three different pin selections. Several water fountains on the course and 3 bathrooms along the way. Quite a few challenging spots to lose a disc at. Trees galore!
Cons: Some of the water fountains are no longer on and that's hard to explain to my dog. Quite a few challenging spots to lose a disc at.
Other Thoughts: End of hole 24 or tee of hole 25 great place to watch a sunset.
Great place to "watch the creek" and or catch a trout at hole 7 (insanity now)at the right of the bottom of the steps.

Am I In Heaven?

5+    4/26/2012   4/28/2012
Review By: TheBirdGuy
Pros: This place is astoundingly fun and beautiful. I am fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from the course, so I play here 4-6 times a week. I am a recent die-hard fan of the sport and I have been playing since January 2010.

As many people have already said, this course is beautiful. It has holes packed with trees, uphill/downhill, left and right curve, long and short, a few with water hazards. They have water fountains spread out every 5 holes or so. The course is located in a park so there are trails/roads that people are walking/biking/driving through... you might not like that, but it just makes the atmosphere that much more beautiful for me. It's a place for everyone to go and relax.They switch up the pin location frequently (A, B, and C). They provide scorecards with pencils on the communal bulletin board in the parking lot (you can also print them out here). This place is a blast.

I'd say the reason Tyler State Park is ranked Top 10 in the world for courses is because it's managed by volunteers, which means people are truly dedicated to the sport and to the beauty and architecture of the course. Joe Mela has done an incredible job with the place. The design is incredible. They set up some obstacles with fallen trees, they just built new tee platforms and benches, they have unique and accurately drawn out hole preview boards, they have poles at each hole so you can hang your bag on them. They have it all. It's hard to believe something so awesome could be free and so easily available.

Come to Tyler State Park... it's worth it, it's fun, it's difficult and it will blow your freaking mind.
Cons: What could the cons possibly be... maybe the one thing I would say is that #13 has 3 mandos and that is a little frustrating... it's my least favorite of the holes, but I still love it and can't really be considered a con, which just goes to show how awesome this course really is.
Other Thoughts: It's amazing how well maintained the place is. People are nice and everyone is there for the same reason... they want to have fun and experience the architecture and uniqueness of Tyler State Park. A bonus is that you sometimes run into professional players who have tips for you if you think to ask. Some friends and I ran into Glenn Patterson - who is a friend of Joe Mela's and has played on his team in some tournaments - and he gave us some tips on how to improve our drives without hesitation (he is a monster with his drives). He is a perfect example of the people involved and the people there. Amazing Disc Golf community. By the way, he is there all the time practicing on the 15th hole... you will most likely see him.

Beautiful

1    4/19/2012   4/20/2012
Review By: BDorsh99
Pros: Layout is super. A little bit of everything from short, challenging tee shots to long, open tee shots. Very clean course. Trash cans on almost every tee box. Posts made on almost every tee box just for your bag.

Amazing Course

5+    3/24/2012   3/28/2012
Review By: MagSass
Pros: good variety in length and difficulty per hole. hole layouts change frequently to always offer a new perspective so that it is never a boring course to play. hard workers in the course club always out maintaining the course. some holes are easy to cut out if you have limited time and are only looking to play a few holes. new benches being installed on all holes.
Cons: no cons so far.

Tyler State Park

2-4    3/11/2012   3/14/2012
Review By: oceancountydg
Pros: Excellent maintenance. The local club really takes care of the course and shows much love for the course. They were in the parking lot selling gear to raise money to make it even better.
Design was really fun. Some extremly long holes and some very short. 3 pin placements that were different on each hole (some holes used close pin, some used mid pin and some used long) allowed for a good mix of shots and distances. 27 holes and from what they told me they are planning 9 more! awesome, well worth the drive.
Cons: Mandos. some holes had several mandos. Not a terrible thing but for playing the course for the first time it made some holes frustrating. Im sure if I played the course all of the time I would be ok the added difficulty but only playing it twice the course was pretty challenging without the added mandos.
Other Thoughts: Loved the course and the people there. It was packed on a beautiful spring-like Sunday in March but not over crowded. I wish I lived closer.

Manicured

5+    2/25/2012   2/27/2012
Review By: urwatuh8
Pros: The local club has obviously put a lot of work into this course, and it has paid off. The fairways are clear and well delineated. The signage is excellent - lots of useful "next tee" signs, and charming maps that accurately present the hole and pin position. The tees are large, concrete, and in excellent shape. Every hole has three quite different pin positions, and most holes have both back and front tees. There's also a lot of good disc golf to be had. There's 27 holes and they mix things up well -- uphill, downhill, straight, dogleg, open, wooded, and so forth.
Cons: Tyler is a good course any disc golfer will enjoy. These cons are to explain why I "only" give it a 4, not a 5:
- The A positions: typical pin positions go: B position is a good hole. C position is a longer or trickier good hole. A position is a boring, straight 200 foot hole. Just get rid of the As.
- Over use of OB/mandos: I like man vs. terrain, not man vs. contrived obstacles: don't hit trees or end up off the ravine. Tyler feels too artificial: A lot of random fields are roped OB, and there are a lot of mandos. (One hole has 3!) I don't mind one ocassionally, but it's excessive here.
- Lack of epic holes: Tyler's design feels a little like checking boxes: "Ok, we need to include a wooded dogleg left." Most top courses have a few holes that I just want to sit and savor, I don't feel that at Tyler. The terrain has the potential. For example, there's a big gully between holes 7 and 8. Why not have a drive over that gap, a la Whipping Post #9? The only steep downhills (2 and 21) are both short and straight.
Other Thoughts: A couple reviews complain about the course being too crowded, I don't think it's too bad. Obviously, if you play a course in a populated area on a sunny summer afternoon, you shouldn't expect a wilderness retreat feel.

Driving here also involves a typically suburban Philly problem: there aren't enough highways, and that means other arterial roads are also congested.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11