Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #25 (Taken 4/2012)

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
 A great course to play

1    7/19/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: Aupps
This review was updated on 7/20/2010
Pros: -Beautiful course set in the woods of Tyler Park.
-The course has a nice balance of easy and challenging holes. Not sure how ofter the pins are moved but the "C" pins are very challenging on some holes.
-Majority of holes are in the shade
-Good use of elevation
Cons: -Some holes (23 and 27) when the pin is in the "C" position should have different pars. They may be different but it isn't reflected on the tee marker.
-Tee Markers may say pin is in one position but it is actually in another spot
Other Thoughts: The last 3 holes were out in the open and I really wanted some shade at the end of my day. It was hot and muggy, so bring lots of water.
Can't wait to bring my friends here to play.

Awesome

5+    6/23/2010   6/23/2010
Review By: flyerzphan923
This review was updated on 9/5/2010
Pros: The best course design I have played. some very technical holes and some long open field. 23 of 27 are in the woods. Sign at every tee gives a great description of the hole and which basket position it is in. you need a wide arsenal of throws to play this course well, This is my home course and Nothing I have played has been comparable. you will get better every time you play this course. the first 18 holes are definately easier then the last 9.
Cons: In a PERFECT world it could be...never mind this course is the best you will ever play!
Other Thoughts: Play this course asap! you will not regret any length of drive it takes for you. this course is great for beginners to have fun and learn the game, as well as difficult for the experienced to challenge themselves on every hole. the ability to change the basket to 3 different locations on 26 of 27 holes(number 4 has 3 tee locations instead) I can not explain enough how great this course is, I play it at least 3 times a week...
I made a video of me playing a round of 18 at Tyler. I hope you will enjoy the video and it should give you a better idea, than just pictures, just how nice this course truely is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2r1MDBxeQg

Withstanding the Test of Time

5+    6/12/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Concrete tees with multiples on many holes
Useful signage with a dial showing current pin placement (choice of either A,B & C for all 27 holes!)
Benches at tees are very helpful since it's long, physically demanding and waiting to play is certain on such a heavily used course
Baskets in respectable shape (really like the filled in orange w/numbers on top as they're easy to see in the woods)
Mostly heavily wooded and technical (although there are a handful of open holes)
Variety and diversity of shots possible here but dependent upon pin locations as to how much so
Broken in - wooded fairways are devoid of heavy brush for the most part keeping disc hunts/loss to a minimum
Elevation used wisely with raised pins, sloping greens, uphill/downhill drives; mild/gentler changes used on the 'flatter' holes
Beautiful setting and in PA State Park so quality is assured
Disc Golf only area for the most part (there are walking paths which run between the two sides of the dg course)
Park has amenities, is close to I-95/PA turnpike and located across from a shopping center (grocery, restaurants, etc)
Appeals to every level of player
Cons: A few holes had signs that were missing (vandalism?)
On the day I played, too many holes were in the 'A' position - while still fun, I was hoping for more challenge this time around
Navigation could be an issue for first timers so a map is recommended
Course is incredibly popular so it can become crowded and waiting at tees for groups to play is likely
Other Thoughts: I haven't been down here for a several years so the course is much improved since my last visit (9 more holes, updated signs w/pin placement dials, additional tee pads, added navigation signage, etc). Always a joy to play a course that gets so much love and attention from the locals/volunteers. Every person encountered on the course was friendly (general DG conversation), helpful (one player insisting I try a disc of his I had never thrown before) and mindful (large groups letting people play through or letting play the hole with them which helps speed up play for all).

While still technical and challenging, I was somewhat disappointed that many of the pins were in the 'A' position. However I can see why - to appeal to a wider range of players. In an ideal world, this course would have permanent pins in the 'C' positions and would rotate the other baskets between 'A' and 'B'. That's quite costly though and I would never expect a free park to cater to such extremes.

Tyler State Park withstands the test of time as it continually changes and develops as the game, its players and disc technology does. A true destination course for those outside the area and a must play for those in the greater region.

Tyler State Park

2-4    6/5/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: Rol6566
Pros: The course is really scenic and very well maintained. There were benches on almost every hole(if not every hole) which made it nice since I played when it was 90` out.
-There were tee signs with indicators that showed what placement the basket in
Cons: Some of the hole positions should be reconsidered. When I played, there were par 5s that were only 300'. In my belief, a par 5 should not be reachable with a putter, and that all the baskets for a hole should be near the same distance and just placed differently.
-Another thing is that on most holes there is only one tee

Edit: After a member PMd me I realized that the par changes on a hole when the baskets are moved to different positions. But I still feel that the par on a hole should be the same and the basket positions should reflect that par.

Other Thoughts: Even though this course was nice, I wasn't blown away. This course lacked variety for me. It has 27 good holes but for me there was also no "showcase" hole. I was kind of hoping for a hole where I would go WOW.

Worth the Driver

2-4    5/23/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: ahop
Pros: Extremely well-maintained, beautiful scenery, and ever-changing course layouts make this my favorite course to-date. If you haven't yet played it, make the trip soon. I'm a relative beginner to the sport, and I've found Tyler to be the perfect fusion of challenge and reward. It's also worth noting that I've met only the nicest people in my travels there - both players and non-players alike.
Cons: The only downside I can mention is a selfish one - its location. When will courses like this pop up in North-Central Jersey?
Other Thoughts: When I played most recently, we decided to make up our own pars for many of the holes. I wish I had brought a scorecard to identify the par for each of the holes when they are not in the "C" position. ...The upside, of course, was that I was very satisfied with the number of birdies I earned!

A Great Course to be Played

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: ajkepner
Pros: I absolutely loved the course as a whole. Each hole was different and provided a different challenge. There were some open holes and some tight holes, some with water, and some with raised baskets. I liked that all the holes were different distances and not all in the some position (all A/all B/all C). Very tidy and clean. Bathrooms and water fountains available.
Cons: Walking distance between holes could get long at some points. And some of the signage between holes were not all clear and if I was not with a player who played the course, I would have been lost.
Other Thoughts: The Ladies Clinic was awesome, and helped me to learn so much more, and improve what I already know. I wish this course was not 2 1/2 hours away, I would love to play this course more often.

Superbly managed

1    5/12/2009   5/12/2010
Review By: DonG
This review was updated on 5/17/2010
Pros: A must play! Nicely maintained. Pins change often, making it a different course every other week. Great design.

-Heavily wooded, but mostly reasonable fairways.
-Changes in evelation and some raised pins.
-Usually a nice mix of short and long (depending on pin placement in A, B, or C positions).
-27 holes!
-Well planned design.
Cons: There are no shots over water, but that's a small consideration. A few fairways are a bit tight.
Other Thoughts: Drink of choice: Tequilla.

A must play

2-4    4/22/2010   4/22/2010
Review By: jparent
Pros: Beautiful course with 27 holes and 3 pin placements that are alternated regularly. There are hand painted signs on every hole and a pin indicator to let you know what position the pin is in. The course offers holes with various difficulty, every hole has it's own challenge. There are public bathrooms, water fountains, and clearly labeled paths to the next holes. Every time I was there there were players that would let me in their group since I was solo.
Cons: Someone at the course for the first time might get a little lost at hole 7 or 8, I forget which one, if not both. Just ask someone will help you.
I always seem to get wood chips in my socks.
Other Thoughts: I'm a newer player and have only played at a few courses so take my review with a grain of salt. There is a place to fish near hole 9. It is pretty busy on the weekends, I would go before 1pm or maybe even earlier. There are always joggers and bikers on a paved path that weaves though the course, which may provide entertainment for family members if need be.

5+    4/8/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: flyfarmblues
Pros: 27 Holes. There are no "junk" holes. Pars are accurate to the course. GREAT Maps at each hole, showing pin locations, and their distances. Heavily wooded course, so you will have shade for a majority of it.
Well maintained course. Nice hike. Concrete tees. What more to say...this course would be worth driving to from pretty far away.
Cons: It would be nice to have some more open field holes. The trees can give you fits if you don't place your throw well...Don't bring your Camo discs here!

World Class Disc Golf

5+    12/20/2009   1/8/2010
Review By: Kwick
This review was updated on 1/10/2010
Pros: To name just a few:
beautiful, often elevated, concrete tee pads
multiple tees on several holes
A B and C basket locations which get rotated regularly
Wooden posts with bag holders on every hole
Many benches
Restroom facilities/water fountains
27 different challenging holes
Cons: A couple holes are blind, where you should walk down the fairway prior to throwing (I find it easier to look than trust the signs, although the signage is great)

It can get crowded at times

There can be non-DGers there sometimes, such as a high cool Xcountry race through the course
Other Thoughts: This course is absolutely a must play course (great DG trip to include with nearby Tinicum, Jordan Creek, Knockamixon and Little Lehigh parkway)

This is a beautiful challenging course set mainly in the woods. There are a few open holes, but even than you'll be challenged by OB. While it is primarily wooded, all of the holes are fair. Good shots are rewarded, while errant shots do get punished. There are many different excellent basket placements. Elevated, placed on the side of a hill, protective wood log walls, next to a steep drop-off. This course has many par 4's that you will need to plan out your shots. I love courses that make me think and this course does that. The hand-painted signs add a great touch and are very accurate. There are rotating dials on each hole to indicate the current basket location. There are plans to eventually have all the C (long) baskets put in permanently while rotating the others between A and B. That would allow players to always play long if they desired. I enjoy the course with rotating holes as it gives some birdie chances and than many tough longer holes. There is a good amount of walking, so be prepared with proper shoes and food/drink as this course will physically and mentally drain you. The course is fairly easy to navigate with arrows and signs pointing you to the next holes. There are several spots where you can just take a break and enjoy the beautiful park, which is nice to be able to sit, listen to some nature and enjoy a beautiful view (while hopefully hearing some chains banging in the background). This course is top notch and you should make every effort to play it and test your game. Regardless of my score here (which can vary greatly) I always enjoy this excellent course, and feel lucky that I live fairly (45minutes) close to it.

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11