Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #16 Basket ('A' Position)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
Is that deer following me?

1    10/10/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: Adventureortiz
Pros: Great signage. I love the spinning piece on the post to show which pin the basket is on. Benches and bag posts all over, Very well maintained park in general. The course had a great variety with some nice challenging woods shots. I was playing in the fall and my driver was yellow... bad call on my part. It was fun to rip shots around wooded fairways... not so fun searching for my yellow disc in yellow leaves.
Lots of signs pointing to next tees.
This course also has a few "pedistal" baskets... mounted up on these really cool landscaped structures. Very cool to look at and make for some persicion approach shots.
Cons: Be sure you pay attention to the next tee signs as you walk down the fairways... if the basket is in the farthest pin, you may have past the sign for next tee and need to go back to look... a few holes didn't have these signs down near the "c" pin position.
This is less of a con and more of a question or something to think about if you don't play this course regularly.... Par for some of the holes was 4 or 5 and I can completely agree when the basket is in the "c" position but if it is in "a"... that would be way high so I assume you adjust par based on pin position but didn't see that on the signage... maybe it is written somewhere else but I know at least one hole was par 5 but the basket was like 300' straight away down a wooded cooridor. C pin was Way back tucked off to the right which clearly warranted the par 5.
Other Thoughts: I got to travel all across PA this week and see a variety of top rated courses in PA... I did like this one the best. Clearly well established and loved. The Park offers great amenities, bathrooms... pavilions. There are even water fountains out on the course though I think it was disconnected for the season. Absolutely worth a drive and trip to go play this course. Lots of variety and 27 holes with 2 tee pads per... so you could play all day and get a new look all day. I play a lot of wooded courses up in New England and this is what I hope our courses look like in 20 years.

Just amazing.

5+    10/6/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: FlyingHyzer
Pros: Excellent signage.
Great Variety of holes.
Multiple pin positions make for everything from long/tough holes, to short ace runs.
Always moving the pin positions.
Benches and bag hangs at nearly every hole.
A few water fountains placed throughout the park.
Beautiful scenery.
27 challenging holes.
All concrete tee pads.
Trash cans placed throughout.
Very clean!
And just everything else about the park!
Cons: Mosquitos are just awful in the summer time.
Can be frustrating for beginners, but if you can play here, you can play anywhere.
Gets really busy on weekends, but thats just a testament to how awesome this park is!
Had a little trouble finding #5 #6 #7 and #19 my first time there.
Other Thoughts: Excellent park that is worth a road trip. I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from the park, but I'd drive a few hours for it. You absolutely do not want to miss it! Also I heard they got approval for another 9, may just be speculation, but that would be amazing.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR BUGSPRAY IN SUMMER MONTHS!

My favorite course

5+    9/14/2013   9/17/2013
Review By: boondongle
Pros: * Variety of holes
* Some elevation changes
* Clear signs to the next hole
* Good illustrations of each hole
* Well maintained
Cons: * No good loop for the back 18: the first 18 make one loop, and the back 9 make another separate loop.
Other Thoughts: * Very few real water hazards (could be a pro or con, depending on your preferences)

Tyler...Home Sweet Home

5+    9/3/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Fishfood
Pros: Been playing Tyler for 10 years...it keeps getting better. No doubt to the BCDGA crew! I like the flow and mix of terrain, layout is always challenging, especially when in the "C" pin placement. I actually prefer playing in the "C". Makes for an exceptionally challenging 27 holes of disc golf. It's also nice to see all the hard work that has gone into this course over the years, making it one of the best DGC in PA. Signage is good (a better sign/s directing new to the course golfers from hole 18 to hole 19 would be nice, heard some complaints), log lined walkways, wood chips, log barriers, anti-erosion work with improved steps/paths have all been nicely done. Well done BCDGA!
Cons: This is not a big deal, but I've seen a trend at some courses to have rakes or brooms to clean off the tee pads..would be nice. Rubber tee pads would be an awesome upgrade to the course.
Other Thoughts: I consider Tyler as my home course and it never gets boring, no matter how many times I play it, fun way to challenge yourself for an afternoon.

AWESOME!!!

2-4    8/9/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: seanyboyhoward
Pros: EVERYTHING. Great hole locations, great tee pads, clean, signage is excellent. 3 different basket locations with 2 different tee pads.
Cons: make the directions to hole #5 and #6 a little easier to follow or locate
Other Thoughts: Great course get out and play!

The Enchanted Forest

5+    7/27/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: Wook1
Pros: 27 challenging holes that snake through a beautiful old wood forest(some trees 10+ft around) In a full 27 you will see glory and defeat, risk and reward, and will need every shot in your arsenal to be on point. 3 pin/2 tee positions for each hole makes playing Tyler an ever changing beast, you never really know what to expect. Sometimes the layout can change 1 or 2 times in a week. New even longer (if you can believe that!) tee pads went in on a few holes this past year holes 6,8,10,15,25 and the new score card with exact distances/pars for short and long in A. B, & C are great. Multiple full bathrooms & water fountains through out the 27 are an added bonus you dont get at many courses. When I first played Tyler I couldn't really think of needed improvements, yet in that 4+ year span each year this course seems to grow and add new and unique touches to make the rounds different. For example an amazing new pin position on 9 has been added, using the logs removed from the parking area, currently there is a PVC pin in similar to the yetter pins.

Need to mention how great the BCDGA is. THANK YOU! From constantly improving the course and relentlessly changing the pin positions to selling custom Tyler state park disc which a % goes back into the park getting lost plastic back to their owners and all the great Charity events/ benefit events/ pro-level events you guys roc.
Cons: Hard to think of something worthwhile for this section, the first thing that comes to mind is, if your off your game, Tyler can be rough day in the woods. Especially in a competitive round, this course is not very forgiving... Dont give up! Second thing that comes to mind is car and walking paths sometimes come into play on bad shots or ricochet off trees, also sometimes the fairways get confused by park non-DGers as hiking trails, give them a polite heads up and they are typically happy to obligee.
Other Thoughts: Tyler was the course that i was introduced to the sport, lets just say those first few rounds were frustrating at times. But looking back it was this course that forced me to get my game up to level it is at currently.

Hiking Boots/shoes recommended

One of the best I've played

1    7/29/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 8/7/2013
Pros: Let's see if I can recall everything...

-This is a very nice park with lots of beautiful trees and woodland area.
-There are bathrooms when you arrive and also on your way through the course
-There are functioning water fountains in a few places around the course and they looked clean instead of being gross like some park fountains can get.
-Trash cans on site
-Good signage, all made from wood
-Nice paths through the woods
-Every hole has a bench, a rack to hang your bag, and very nice tee pads
-Every hole has Pro and Am tee pads and multiple pin positions. Many holes have 3 pin locations and all have at least 2.
-Very nice man-made ramparts and various structures throughout the course to add both character and a challenge.
-Every hole has a memorable name which is posted along with the hole map. One hole is called Serenity Now and the next hole is Insanity Later :). Stairway to Chains is another one.
-The tee box maps are all hand painted wood. There is a lot of wood craftsmanship in this course that makes it unique
-Plenty of scorecards and a bulletin with listed events and such
-Great variety of pin distances and pin placement
-Lots of different shot opportunities. Doglegs all over the place, up and down elevation, needle threads, shoot arounds, you name it.
Cons: -There weren't enough trash cans on the course once we got out there. They weren't every hole or even every other hole. For all the amazing effort they put into this course they could have a trash can at every hole.
-Well this was my first time here but some of the directions after holes were confusing and we couldn't find where we were going a couple times. Holes 5 and 6 take you back and forth on the actual park path and when you see a "next tee" sign you're not always sure which hole it is pointing towards.
-I really can't think of anything else that was nagging. This course is wonderful
Other Thoughts: This course is beautiful and offers a lot of different shot opportunities and challenges. It is fully stacked with everything you could ask for. I got to play this course while out of town with family but we had to leave early to get my brother to the airport so we didn't get to see the whole course. We played up to hole 11 or 12 and then skipped across and finished with 17 and 18. So unfortunately for me I do not know what the back half of this 27 has to offer and I had to write my review based on the part I played. From what I understand it gets out into the open a bit. This course is very wooded and can be tough but it never feels too cluttered. Another good thing about this is that if you are there on a hot summer day you are in the shade just about all the time. It is great. Definitely worth the hour drive from where we were in order to play this course. I hope to play this course again.

Lucky to live 10 min away

5+    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Cmk21
Pros: Best course around my area and i live very close, great condition and always maintained. They even have leagues here.
Cons: Can be a lot of people there at times but its no biggie. Watch out for the poison ivy and Mosquitos. Bring bug repellent

A challenge every time

5+    6/24/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: Sketto
Pros: - Excellently maintained. Grass cut, branches cleared. Trash always removed.
- Every hole has a bench, bag post, and signage with yardage to the three alternating pin positions.
- Every hole has multiple tee pads, all concrete and kept clean.
- Great variety of holes with both left and right doglegs. Also some tight wooded fairways and some wide-open fields for drives. Always clever pin position.
- 3 pin positions that change often to keep variety. Short, medium and long, all with their own pars. Course maintainers mix it up nicely on a regular basis to keep the course fresh for frequent players.
- Very few disc-losing possibilities. As tough as it is, it's not the kind of course where your disc will fly into nowhere and disappear. I've played this course 50 times and never lost a disc permanently.
Cons: - Yeah, so it's a public park and you have to be careful not to hit joggers or walkers with errant throws on a couple holes, but you'd really have to throw awfully for that to even be a possibility.
- Can get crowded on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Don't miss it. It really has everything you could ask for (unless you're the kind of DGer who just wants to bomb it into open fields). This course demands multiple shot skills.

Play this course!!

5+    4/18/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: Dupree721
Pros: I am so lucky to have this course only 10 minutes from my house! I have only played here and at Sunset Park in Las Vegas and this course adds so much more to your game. I've been playing disc golf for only a few months, but I've improved vastly thanks to this course. Every hole is unique and has its own obstacles to get around. I play here roughly 2-3 times a week and the owners (Bucks County Disc Golf Alliance) take amazing pride in the course. More often than not pin positions are changed to make it difficult and challenging. The course is always maintained and just recently they put in brand new tee pads on a few holes!

It is a treat to play here and I am lucky to have such a great course so close to home.
Cons: The trees are killing my drives! (joking)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11