Newtown, PA
Tyler State Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #21 (Taken 4/2012)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
One of the best I've played

1    7/29/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 8/7/2013
Pros: Let's see if I can recall everything...

-This is a very nice park with lots of beautiful trees and woodland area.
-There are bathrooms when you arrive and also on your way through the course
-There are functioning water fountains in a few places around the course and they looked clean instead of being gross like some park fountains can get.
-Trash cans on site
-Good signage, all made from wood
-Nice paths through the woods
-Every hole has a bench, a rack to hang your bag, and very nice tee pads
-Every hole has Pro and Am tee pads and multiple pin positions. Many holes have 3 pin locations and all have at least 2.
-Very nice man-made ramparts and various structures throughout the course to add both character and a challenge.
-Every hole has a memorable name which is posted along with the hole map. One hole is called Serenity Now and the next hole is Insanity Later :). Stairway to Chains is another one.
-The tee box maps are all hand painted wood. There is a lot of wood craftsmanship in this course that makes it unique
-Plenty of scorecards and a bulletin with listed events and such
-Great variety of pin distances and pin placement
-Lots of different shot opportunities. Doglegs all over the place, up and down elevation, needle threads, shoot arounds, you name it.
Cons: -There weren't enough trash cans on the course once we got out there. They weren't every hole or even every other hole. For all the amazing effort they put into this course they could have a trash can at every hole.
-Well this was my first time here but some of the directions after holes were confusing and we couldn't find where we were going a couple times. Holes 5 and 6 take you back and forth on the actual park path and when you see a "next tee" sign you're not always sure which hole it is pointing towards.
-I really can't think of anything else that was nagging. This course is wonderful
Other Thoughts: This course is beautiful and offers a lot of different shot opportunities and challenges. It is fully stacked with everything you could ask for. I got to play this course while out of town with family but we had to leave early to get my brother to the airport so we didn't get to see the whole course. We played up to hole 11 or 12 and then skipped across and finished with 17 and 18. So unfortunately for me I do not know what the back half of this 27 has to offer and I had to write my review based on the part I played. From what I understand it gets out into the open a bit. This course is very wooded and can be tough but it never feels too cluttered. Another good thing about this is that if you are there on a hot summer day you are in the shade just about all the time. It is great. Definitely worth the hour drive from where we were in order to play this course. I hope to play this course again.

Lucky to live 10 min away

5+    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Cmk21
Pros: Best course around my area and i live very close, great condition and always maintained. They even have leagues here.
Cons: Can be a lot of people there at times but its no biggie. Watch out for the poison ivy and Mosquitos. Bring bug repellent

A challenge every time

5+    6/24/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: Sketto
Pros: - Excellently maintained. Grass cut, branches cleared. Trash always removed.
- Every hole has a bench, bag post, and signage with yardage to the three alternating pin positions.
- Every hole has multiple tee pads, all concrete and kept clean.
- Great variety of holes with both left and right doglegs. Also some tight wooded fairways and some wide-open fields for drives. Always clever pin position.
- 3 pin positions that change often to keep variety. Short, medium and long, all with their own pars. Course maintainers mix it up nicely on a regular basis to keep the course fresh for frequent players.
- Very few disc-losing possibilities. As tough as it is, it's not the kind of course where your disc will fly into nowhere and disappear. I've played this course 50 times and never lost a disc permanently.
Cons: - Yeah, so it's a public park and you have to be careful not to hit joggers or walkers with errant throws on a couple holes, but you'd really have to throw awfully for that to even be a possibility.
- Can get crowded on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Don't miss it. It really has everything you could ask for (unless you're the kind of DGer who just wants to bomb it into open fields). This course demands multiple shot skills.

Play this course!!

5+    4/18/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: Dupree721
Pros: I am so lucky to have this course only 10 minutes from my house! I have only played here and at Sunset Park in Las Vegas and this course adds so much more to your game. I've been playing disc golf for only a few months, but I've improved vastly thanks to this course. Every hole is unique and has its own obstacles to get around. I play here roughly 2-3 times a week and the owners (Bucks County Disc Golf Alliance) take amazing pride in the course. More often than not pin positions are changed to make it difficult and challenging. The course is always maintained and just recently they put in brand new tee pads on a few holes!

It is a treat to play here and I am lucky to have such a great course so close to home.
Cons: The trees are killing my drives! (joking)

"Country Club Feel"

1    3/26/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: Strong Island
Pros: Tyler State has it all. My friend and I drove from Long Island last month just to play a few rounds at Tyler State Park. From hole #1 to hole #27 was an amazing experience. The course is in pristine shape. It felt as if the park was built just for this course. The signage on each hole was very clear and directions to each hole were in the right location to help you without getting lost. The 3 pin placements on each hole add to the diversity because the course changes at each placement. It was just a pretty course to look at and play. It is nice to see the crew care so much for their home course. This is a well deserved 5.
Cons: Although there are 3 placements on each hole, there is only one basket. This didnt bother me much but could be cool to play on any pins at any time.

Needs to be closer to Long Island. (wishful thinking)
Other Thoughts: Would take the trip back to Tyler State in a heartbeat and planning on it. Who's coming with me!

Amazing

1    3/30/2013   3/30/2013
Review By: zewski12
Pros: -I Absolutely LOVED this course!
-27 Holes of Awesomeness.
-There are so many unique holes. It keeps you guessing.
-This course has had a lot of time put into it... many holes with different heights, many on built pedestals.
-There are 3 hole positions for each of the 27 holes and the locals i played with said they change constantly for ever changing challenges.
-There is also multiple tee positions at each hole and they are in the middle of building more!
-If you are in the area you need to check this course out. Traveling through PA? make a detour and Play it!
Cons: The signage could be better.. its painted on a piece of wood which some people make like the natural feel of it but I'm more of a well designed computer generated sign. The signs do have a rotating arrow that indicate what hole position the basket is currently in which was fantastic.
Other Thoughts: One of the funnest courses i have ever played.

Didn't get to Play the 5-Disc Layout

1    10/13/2012   10/26/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Championship Golf. (However see below in the Cons section). Due to the course layout, I was only able to play about 6 of the "championship" pin positions… however, I was able to see the other mouth-watering pins positions throughout the course. From what I was able to witness, the championship layout is a concoction of multiple shot Par 4 and 5 woods holes (and a few open ones too) with extreme punishment for bad shots and poor decision making. "Throw a 300+' shot to an optimal landing zone in order to throw a second shot 280' in a different direction to a tight green" type of golf… I LOVE that!
- Hype Worthy? With Tyler State Park being in the Top 10, I was certainly hopeful that the course would live up to its hype… I hate when highly rated and extremely hyped courses don't pan out. Even though the course layout as laid out didn't fully meet my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed my round at Tyler and could see and feel the hype worthiness.
- Lincoln Logs. They had a great way of stacking their cut up downed trees into 8' long lengths and stacking them into bunker-like pyramids along the edges of some of the holes. I never got behind one of the bunkers, but they certainly looked like formidable trouble to navigate around. Plus they looked cool as hell.
- Awesome Wood Tee Signs. I have never before seen such well designed informative, primitive signs than the signs at Tyler. The carving, paint jobs, extra information, etc… they were well done. Kudos to whichever club member(s) put those together.
Cons:
- Long Pins Not Permanent. I am rarely an advocate for having dual tee / dual pin courses, (especially where the course is impacted with various levels of players), and I understand that it may not be environmentally friendly (from a State Park preservation perspective) to have pins in certain positions (steep hillsides, near water, or even in one spot for extended periods of time) during certain times of the year (winter)… but, Tyler State Park, a Top 10 Ranked course in the World according to DGCR, needs permanent long pins in order for it to have that title, (in my honest opinion).

I played, what I would call, a severely subdued version of Tyler, with most (12 or so) of the positions in the "A" position. I didn't drive all the way to Tyler to play golf the type of golf I could play at 1000 other courses in the country. I came to Tyler to play the Top 10 ranked course… which I am assuming, from my requirements, to be the course with all (or nearly all) of the pin positions in the "C" position.

I'll put it to you this way… I shot -11 with 3 bogeys and about 5 missed 25' putts. Now, I'll admit, I play decent golf: -2 at Idlewild from the Longs, +3 on Maple Hill from the Golds, +1 at Iron Hill on the Golds, +1 at Winthrop Gold in the USDGC layout… -11 at Tyler? Come on. Where's the beat-down? Where's the epic battle? Either I was on fire, (which I'll admit that I was a little bit), or it's unfortunate I missed the championship layout.

- Walking Past the "C's" to get to the Next Tee. It seemed like on most holes we would finish the "A" position and have to walk past the "B" and "C" pin positions to get to the next tee… what a tease! Here I am, having to walk extra distance to the next tee pad while being emotionally crushed that I didn't get the opportunity to "throw at that pin position… FUCK!"
- Overall. I can see why this course is ranked in the Top 10… I saw numerous Top 10 worthy holes… and even played a few as some of the pins were in their "B" and "C" positions. With the entire course set up in those pin positions, it certainly seems worthy of all the hype, and Top 10 status; HOWEVER, with 2/3rds the course set up in their seemingly regular "A" pin positions, I didn't personally get that Top 10 experience. I could have played better holes at hundreds of other courses, which is not a good thing for a Top 10 course to have said about itself.

With that said, the course is still AMAZING. Long and short tee-pads, multiple pin positions, 20+/27 extremely great holes, better than adequate amenities (tee-pads, signage), and some super sick golf. I hope I can play it again in the future, but with everything set up in the "C" pin positions. Until then, I have to rank this course as a 4.5 Disc Course.

great course

5+    10/13/2012   10/13/2012
Review By: chlpper85
Pros: 3 pin positions are great and can change par from a 3 on the a location to a 5 for c. Its a very well thought out course that will challenge everyone from beginner to pro. The maintenance throughout the 27 holes is unbelievable grass is always short and very few downed branches and trees in fairways. They have season league play going all year and tournaments often.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are in need of minor repair but nothing to where you cant play.
Other Thoughts: Course is great and is a must play for any disc player

Tyler worth the hype

5+    8/26/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: Buchajs1
This review was updated on 8/26/2013
Pros: This review is biased on the layout for the Yetter tournament(all in c position)

Great variety-right turn left turn s curves, this course will require every shot in your bag multiple times. Een on a good round being in the middle of the fairway most of the time there were multiple routes to the baskets and the various routes could require different types of shots that you wouldnt use on your average course.

Downhill bombs and huge uphills are just part of why this course is in the top ten- on almost every hole there is some sort of elevation changes whether it be a slight downhill or a massive elevation rise that tequires a huge bomb to put it 350 feet up the fairway.

Water- while water is not an immediate hazard, a creek runs beside and behind several holes and if you make a bad shot (like me) you could find yourself adding a few strokes to your score. I really enjoyed the use of water on hole seven, where if you were to overshoot the basket or have an unfortunate rollaway, you could find yourself in the river.

Creative greens- greens were fair yet also made you think about whether to go for it or lay up. Rollaways are prominent bit if you execute your shots well you can stay up. I especially like 7 in c position if you run at you could end up in the water because the green drops right away and you could easily rollaway. If you lay up you can consistently get a 30 ft putt for birdie.

Risk reward shots- this course is both mentally and physically grueling in the c positions and can cause you to think if you actually can make that shot. You are rewarded if you execute well here and punished if you don't make the right choice.

Good tee signs as well as good teepads- the tee signs were emaculate and you cold tell that great effort was put into them. The concrete teepads were in good shape and provided good grip. Each teepad had a number on the concrete.

Log piles-i like the extra hazard of log piles or "bunkers" it looks pretty nice and turns a short hole easy birdie hole into a hole with multiple lines and being at different heights, the require some height to get over.i especially like the use of these on hole 17 where the teepad looks right at the basket but there is a pile of logs 20ft in front of the pin location. It fits well into this hole because it is not that narrow but the log pile and tree make you execute your anny or hyzer.
Cons: Long walks between holes especially when in a position. Hole 23 in b position has an unfair green due to no level putting surface.
Other Thoughts: This is only top ten quality when pins are in 1/2 or more c position. This is my kind of golf and you cant get this on you average course.

Pampered in PA

2-4    8/30/2012   8/31/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 27 holes set in a large State park. Plenty of parking and other activities for your clan. Scorecards in box on the way from parking lot to 1st tee.

Lots of navigation aid signs to help you figure out where you are going.

Great handmade signs at every hole. Signs show line, and layout and well as OB and in some cases what parts of fairway are up hill, and what parts are down hill. Very nice touch.

Large concrete tee pads at every hole.

Seemed to be plenty of benches and bag holders for those that care. I never pay much attention since it is hard to thrown while seated.

Very little underbrush, thorns or weeds. While there is rough, you never feel like your hacking your way out of a jungle to retrieve your disc.

Everything is very well maintained. Paths are cleared and lined with logs. Fallen trees and logs are cleared and stacked nicely as extra features on the course. You can tell that lots of love and care goes in to Tyler.

Good variety of shots needed to play well here. Nothing feels repetitive, and you won't get into a rut where you are throwing the same shot over and over again.

I played with the baskets in the C positions this trip. In those positions the course is tough and long. But there are still some shorter holes and ace runs available. Lengths went from 211' up to 883'.

On several holes baskets are positioned to add risk to your approach or putt. #23 stands out as a great green. There is a steep slope to the left of the basket that can kill your score. #4 has a nice slope and the creek downhill behind the basket. #7 has similar risk.

Cons: There really isn't any signature holes or standout features here. While there is water and elevation it isn't used in any dramatic ways. There are no top of the world shots or long water carries.

Course flow is a little wandering. There are some long walks and backtracking throughout the course. Even with all the signs you find yourself wondering if you are headed the right way.
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice course that would make a great home course for almost all of us. It is almost all wooded with just a few holes that let you really let loose into the open fields. 15 and 16 play mostly open as well as the finishing holes 26 and 27. This is a course where you need to stay on the fairways and hit your lines. And almost every fairway has a decent line, and offers some route for success. Only in a few spots did I wonder what the heck I was going to do. I think #14 was the only hole when I truly thought the fairway was little overgrown with Plinko trees.

A few of the shorter holes play very tight, but I think that makes sense. It's a lot easier to hit those gaps at 200-250' than it is at 450'. To me that is good design.

There is water, but it is in the form of mostly small creek beds that add no lost disc risk or shot altering fear to your round.

There are slopes and hills along a few fairways, but the risk of long roll aways seems small. I've played this course 3 times now, and have never come close to losing a disc.

This is a course filled with lots of good disc golf. There are a few nice basket locations that add risk, and a little bit of elevation thrown in to keep you on your toes. There are however none of the dramatic features that make a truly top notch course to me. It's a nice round, but not a truly memorable one. Just 27 holes of quality golf in a nice, well cared for setting. Definitely worth a stop if you are in the area.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11